Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Raid Parsers

I'm a big fan of raid Parsers.  It allows raid leaders and players to see what your raid stats are (dps/heals etc.)

I really hope AoC will allow for raid parser integration.  I feel like it is good for seeing what members of the raid need to work on...it allows for fellow raid members to help weaker members more effectively.  It also allows for a healthy level of competition. 

I really hope this will be functionality either built in to the game or that Intrepid will allow 3rd parties to develop. 

Comments

• Options
    Grizzly said:
    I'm a big fan of raid Parsers.  It allows raid leaders and players to see what your raid stats are (dps/heals etc.)

I really hope AoC will allow for raid parser integration.  I feel like it is good for seeing what members of the raid need to work on...it allows for fellow raid members to help weaker members more effectively.  It also allows for a healthy level of competition. 

I really hope this will be functionality either built in to the game or that Intrepid will allow 3rd parties to develop. 

I really dont care about elitist in this game. AOC will not allow 3rd party software to see who has the biggest epeen.

You weak argument that you claim you will help weaker members you know thats not going to work. You will get told go get better gear. Yes lets all have a healthy level of competition, when was raiding a competition. By that statement you imply lets see who will be the best. But we all know its all about the gear.

• Options
    I'll add my comment here instead. 90% of the time it's just used by elitists to be elitists. Lets hope the game isn't only about raiding anyway. Also it gets ridiculous having to download 15 addons to play a game because that's what 'everyone else does'
  • Options
    No thank you.
  • Options
    Xephita said:
    I'll add my comment here instead. 90% of the time it's just used by elitists to be elitists. Lets hope the game isn't only about raiding anyway. Also it gets ridiculous having to download 15 addons to play a game because that's what 'everyone else does'
    In the end do these people pay for your subs, No, do these people tell me how I should play the game, No. As long as we dont follow these fools they will go away and stop bothering players to conform to the way they want you to play.

• Options
    Well I don't see it being a problem for it being an option.
  • Options
    Zaal said:

The issue will remain the same. The tool can (and would) be used to ensure only the player with the "right" equipment / armor / weapon / buff etc will be allowed to join the raid party.

I am all for players making an effort to learn the mechanics of the raid to be able to contribute to the raid party efforts. But there needs to be some allowance for the casual player that is not able to spend 10 hours a day to perfect he's / her game. It should not descent into excluding players due to gear stats.

It may be better to have dedicated hard-core guilds that cater for the needs of players that want to play the game the "correct way" i.e with the legendary / ascended gear.

• Options
  • Options
    I realize that as we get more new people excited about the game we will see these topics pop up again. I know that the forum search function has not been successfully implemented yet. This exact same topic was already beat to death and flamed out last month. They had to relocate the thread to Utah, only place with enough salt. 
  • Options
    Wont help in a way, just biegn friendly helps alot already.
  • Options
    This game is hamstringing itself in an effort to curb elitism, which is silly.  Elitsists will find a way to be better than others, even without in game parsers or not being able to inspect players.  But taking these out will be cripple those that would use those tools legitimately, and drive them into illegitimate activities.

Just look at Final Fantasy 14.  Parsers will exist.  If not in game then outside of game, even if using it risks a ban, because they are useful tools for self improvement and diagnosing progression problems in a group.
  • Options

You weak argument that you claim you will help weaker members you know thats not going to work. You will get told go get better gear. Yes lets all have a healthy level of competition, when was raiding a competition. By that statement you imply lets see who will be the best. But we all know its all about the gear.

Believe it or not, there's more to it than just better gear.  A proper parser will let you see things like skill usage, which can diagnose rotation problems, which can have a dramatic effect on damage done.

Also, it has been said that there will be raid scoreboards.  So raiding will be an officially supported competition, not that it isn't an unofficial one in every other game with it.

Pitsnow said:
    Zaal said:

The issue will remain the same. The tool can (and would) be used to ensure only the player with the "right" equipment / armor / weapon / buff etc will be allowed to join the raid party.

Why in the world are you trying to join that raid in the first place?  Find another group that plays more casually instead of complaining about the min/maxing group that expects similar behaviors from its members.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Parsing is not (only) about elitism. Yes elitists use it as one of the tools, but parsing is so much more.

Parsing is about personal progress. You can have all the gear you want, but still suck because of bad rotations, bad stat distribution etc. Parsing allows you to experiment and see what works better.

You (who are anti parsing) are basically saying "ban all blades because people use them to kill", but forget surgeons also use them to save lives, people use them in every day lives to make them easier etc.

You cant ban everything just because someone found the way to use it for (in your own personal opinion) not so good agenda.

I am all for allowing the parsers. And if no group parsing would be allowed, at least personal parsers should be, so you can test yourself, and improve yourself.

Basically what @mycroft also wrote.

Or as I wrote in another thread, lazy people complain, non lazy people form their own groups and set their own rules.
  • Options
    I'm a huge advocate for parsers and meters. Will I mind either way if they are allowed or not?
    Not really... It'll just make it harder to weed out underperforming people in a PVE environment. As someone who organizes for raids and trials tools like that are invaluable. 
  • Options
    Grizzly said:

Stop saying "Raid", this isn't WoW.
  • Options
    I don't need some sort of 1st 2nd or 3rd party software telling me how to play the game nor for someone else to tell me the same... all I need is the ability to read up on the skills available to me and what they do, from that I can make a build then test to see if it works. If it works, good if not then I reevaluate

Skill rotation, in my opinion skill use shouldn't be so much about in what order you use them but rather which situation they are used in... if skills are situational then I fail to see how parsing out will be anymore helpful then just recording a video of the fight then rewatching it
  • Options
    Flameh0t said:
    Grizzly said:

Stop saying "Raid", this isn't WoW.

Ahem...Raid
    Geez guy...lets not be an MMO lingo snob.  Everyone knew what I was talking about.
  • Options
    Pitsnow said:
    Zaal said:

I am all for players making an effort to learn the mechanics of the raid to be able to contribute to the raid party efforts. But there needs to be some allowance for the casual player that is not able to spend 10 hours a day to perfect he's / her game. It should not descent into excluding players due to gear stats.

It may be better to have dedicated hard-core guilds that cater for the needs of players that want to play the game the "correct way" i.e with the legendary / ascended gear.

Yeah, I have to disagree.  Sure gear matters, but skill rotation and situational awareness mean just as much if not more.  Two players with equal gear does mean they will have equal skill.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    It's funny seeing how a topic such as parsers can elicit such a strong response from people.
  • Options
    Grizzly said:
    It's funny seeing how a topic such as parsers can elicit such a strong response from people.
    Well learn from it and move on.
  • Options
    mycroft said:
    But taking these out will be cripple those that would use those tools legitimately, and drive them into illegitimate activities.
    MMOs somehow managed to do just fine before parsers, no one was crippled by not being able to tell that using one skill before another improved their DPS by 2%
  • Options
    I hopes Ashes does not end up entirely focused on raids as we know them by today's standards.
  • Options
    mycroft said:

Believe it or not, there's more to it than just better gear.  A proper parser will let you see things like skill usage, which can diagnose rotation problems, which can have a dramatic effect on damage done.

Also, it has been said that there will be raid scoreboards.  So raiding will be an officially supported competition, not that it isn't an unofficial one in every other game with it.

So you need this parser to assist you because without it your a complete failure as a player. Lets also see without this proper parser how you fair on the scoreboards as you are so indoctrinated you cant play without it.  What happened to just practice and playing with wit, cunning and guile. 
  • Options
    I would hope that in general there is no modding in AoC. Previous MMOs I have played have been absolutely plagued by mods ruining almost every aspect - from high level activities such as raiding, to basic functions such as gathering.

There are so many features of AoC that sound exciting if implemented correctly, hence why we are all here, which would be detrimentally affected, if not ruined by modding.

Modding for things like damage meters and raid notifications and UI leads inevitably to bot programs to fish and gather, to bots that craft and even to bots that then pvp and run dungeons.

I played DAoC and then WoW - in the very early days before everything had a mod raids were actually fun, so was pvp, so was exploration. Warhammer was at least refreshing in the lack of mods, but I only played that turkey for three months so I don't know what happened in later years.

Now you have people running 30 mods in WoW that govern half of what they do. The raid mods tell you where to stand, when to move, where to move to, etc. I find that whole approach to be entirely disheartening and will very much hope it does not creep into AoC.
  • Options
    Gothix said "You (who are anti parsing) are basically saying "ban all blades because people use them to kill", but forget surgeons also use them to save lives, people use them in every day lives to make them easier etc.

You cant ban everything just because someone found the way to use it for (in your own personal opinion) not so good agenda"

---

Also, please note, not everything should be implemented because "modders" will find a way to do it anyways. I do find it odd that this topic landed back on elitism and gear. I have said my fair share in the other thread on that topic.

I completely understand based on the arguments I have read why inspection/parsers can be good. In the same manner there have been arguments made against them that I also agree with.

It seems like the inspection/parser option is boiled down to being the most efficient and then playing with others that are focused on efficiency. Several post in this thread have pointed out "find another group." Imo I think this is the real answer.

My goal would be to not play with others that want to rate me based on numbers gathered through inspection/parser. It seems the community is split equally enough to allow for multiple dungeon crawling parties to be formed on both sides.

I would still vote "no" to Ashes implementing it directly. I do not believe one should go to the Wiki and build the most optimal thing possible. I am more for play the way you want, learn as you go, get better. However, this is how many of my friends play games, they load it the first time then immediately start reading threads or watching videos to tell them what to do. They enjoy that, I do not.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    These are perfection meters used to establish a skill hierarchy.
    The skill level required to complete content will not be aimed at the top 0.01% of the player base, it will be aimed to be achievable by the majority of players at a reasonable skill level and everyone with a little guidance '''if they request it'''.

TL;DR perfection meters are not required, because the player base is not expected to be perfect to complete content together. Thus the only reason for there inclusion would be for elitists.

That said, I am all for self improvement. So personal meters that cant be shared under any circumstances or any method I am more than happy with. Screen capture makes that impossible though.

Bonus, no parsers, no exploits. As its very difficult to find what is and isnt working as intended in game and beta testing. Theres just a sense of something not working right.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
     You want to cripple this game for anyone that cares about maximizing their performance, just so that your feelings aren't hurt when you group with the wrong people. 

Skill rotation, in my opinion skill use shouldn't be so much about in what order you use them but rather which situation they are used in... if skills are situational then I fail to see how parsing out will be anymore helpful then just recording a video of the fight then rewatching it
    As long as skills have a cooldown, or provide a benefit to other skills, or alternatively build and spend resources, there will be an optimal rotation or priority system to use them in.  This isn't the fault of parsers, its the result of game design.  Parsers just make it easier to find the best one.

MMOs somehow managed to do just fine before parsers, no one was crippled by not being able to tell that using one skill before another improved their DPS by 2%
    I'm curious, which MMOs are you referring to? 

And just because people were doing something doesn't mean they weren't handicapped in the process.  Even without a meter you can judge dps, just find a beefy enough mob somewhere and time how long it takes to kill it.  Its what people did in SWTOR before the devs finally got a clue and gave us damage logs.  But thats a ridiculous work around for something that should be a standard feature in a modern MMORPG.

So you need this parser to assist you because without it your a complete failure as a player.
    I want a parser because its 2017 and modern conveniences like it (and a proper costume system, but thats another topic) should be standard for MMORPGs.  I don't want to have to record and compare mob kill times to judge the difference in builds, nor do I want to install a tool that reads network packets because some forum warriors didn't want their feelings hurt when they joined the wrong group.

Azathoth said:
    I do not believe one should go to the Wiki and build the most optimal thing possible.
    Optimal rotations and cookie cutter builds will still exist without an in game parser, they will just take more time to find.  But people will still find them, because people are interested in min/maxing.  Even if they have to resort to third party tools and risk a ban, just to more easily compare damage numbers.

• Options
    Fantmx said:
    I hopes Ashes does not end up entirely focused on raids as we know them by today's standards.
    Raiding is only one part of Ashes. If you choose to make this your focus, then that's up to you :) There are many other aspects to Ashes that you can be involved in: Religion, Siege warfare, PvP, Guild wars, Quests, Crafting, Gathering, Trade... Or you could choose to do a little of everything. 

The excitement of Ashes is based around there being so many diverse things to do (horizontal progression); rather than racing to max level and grinding the same content over and over again like in other MMOs (vertical progression).
  • Options
    Grizzly said:

I agree. World of Warcraft had a really nice one. It showed everything. It had ability up time, how much damage abilities did, It even had how much damage certain buffs increased your abilities by. It had a time line for each boss and it showed when you used your abilities. It was a very neat tool that I used all the time to compare how well certain builds worked. It also showed the rest of the raid as well. So say another player of the same class and gear is doing better than you, you can look at the stats and see what that player was doing different.
  • Options
    Pitsnow said:
    Zaal said:

Casual player? No problem. Join a casual guild. Hard Core player. no problem. Join a hardcore guild. Problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.