Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Raid Parsers

Comments

• Options
    iPynuts said:
    Flameh0t said:
    iPynuts said:
    The middle ground seems like an overall good decision. That way we that want to progress and better ourselves can do so and others that don't want to can choose so. 
    People who don't want to use parsers don't want to progress and better themselves? Good to know.

Gee I wonder why people so many people are against parsers.

Lol shut up.. We all know parsing isn't to "better yourself". You play how you play. There is no way to "improve yourself" just from seeing how fast or not somebody else is clicking their skills in comparison to yours. Everybody knows parsing is just for arrogant assholes who wish to brag about being "the top DPS'er".

This is Ashes of Creation, not shitty WoW. There aren't going to be "Raids" for you to snear down on others with anyway. It's a PvP game, so what if someone else clicks faster or slower than You? Do you really need to see that to stroke your own ego?

The reason I am against parsers is because I don't want to hear your childish bragging "Look how much dps I did, I am so much better than you" just because I was having a chill out relax day and wanted to play for fun instead of stressing over trying to keep up with everyone. 
    Raids are a thing in ashes. Sorry to disappoint you. 

You clearly don't know what wow or dps meters is about yet you're here acting like you do know. I've never seen anyone in a normal, heroic or mythic dungeons act the way you described. No one cares as long as you aren't afk or aren't in their progression group. 

You probably tried to join a progression group without doing your best. That's why they act like that to you. 

Just because you're too dumb to see how to better yourself using statistics doesn't mean others are. 

If if anyone is childish it's you. 

I have, multiple times in normal, heroic and mythic (but happens mostly in normal and heroics, at least early on in Legion it did). I've also seen it happen in pugs and on twitch streams.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    iPynuts said:
    Flameh0t said:
    iPynuts said:
    The middle ground seems like an overall good decision. That way we that want to progress and better ourselves can do so and others that don't want to can choose so. 
    People who don't want to use parsers don't want to progress and better themselves? Good to know.

Lol shut up.. We all know parsing isn't to "better yourself". You play how you play. There is no way to "improve yourself" just from seeing how fast or not somebody else is clicking their skills in comparison to yours. Everybody knows parsing is just for arrogant assholes who wish to brag about being "the top DPS'er".

This is Ashes of Creation, not shitty WoW. There aren't going to be "Raids" for you to snear down on others with anyway. It's a PvP game, so what if someone else clicks faster or slower than You? Do you really need to see that to stroke your own ego?

The reason I am against parsers is because I don't want to hear your childish bragging "Look how much dps I did, I am so much better than you" just because I was having a chill out relax day and wanted to play for fun instead of stressing over trying to keep up with everyone. 

You clearly don't know what wow or dps meters is about yet you're here acting like you do know. I've never seen anyone in a normal, heroic or mythic dungeons act the way you described. No one cares as long as you aren't afk or aren't in their progression group. 

You probably tried to join a progression group without doing your best. That's why they act like that to you. 

Just because you're too dumb to see how to better yourself using statistics doesn't mean others are. 

I have, multiple times in normal, heroic and mythic (but happens mostly in normal and heroics, at least early on in Legion it did). I've also seen it happen in pugs and on twitch streams.
    Well then, report and move on. The majority is not like that. Dicks are always there. Not having dps meters also rule out personal skill. Someone somewhere will calculate all dps from all combinations. One will be on top, which one do you think will get chosen above the others without checking personal skill? 
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea.  :) I personally like to know how much dps I'm doing, how much it improved after I got a new weapon or whatever. And also I like comparing my DPS to other people.
  • Options
    iPynuts said:
    iPynuts said:
    Flameh0t said:
    iPynuts said:

Well then, report and move on. The majority is not like that. Dicks are always there. Not having dps meters also rule out personal skill. Someone somewhere will calculate all dps from all combinations. One will be on top, which one do you think will get chosen above the others without checking personal skill? 
    I guess we have different experiences with that. Also dps meters don't measure skill, they measure gear and checks if you can manage to stand still and press your rotation. It doesn't take into fact if you had to pick up the slack from the dps epeeners by doing mechanics when they are too busy standing still in fire, doing their rotation and screaming at healers or tanks when they die, or pull too much.

We just have different experiences, apparently. I'm just sick of that side of MMOs. Like the devs I think they do more harm than good.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    TheCouchNerd said:

dps meters don't measure skill, they measure gear and checks if you can manage to stand still and press your rotation. It doesn't take into fact if you had to pick up the slack from the dps epeeners by doing mechanics when they are too busy standing still in fire, doing their rotation and screaming at healers or tanks when they die, or pull too much.
    So your "argument" that people who use parsers are all noobs is because you saw few random noobs standing in fire dieing, yelling about their DPS, and thus you concluded those few noobs were accurate representation of all people that use parsers? (just lol)

And I mean really LOL... I don't even know how to respond to this... and then you ask why we even stop discussing anything with you...

Because one can't argue against "arguments" ridden of any sense and logic, that are completely false...

Now let me educate you. Gear and stats are base, that base multiplies with your ability to theory craft and find best rotations for various situations and apply them (this is what PARSER is for combined with combat experimentation), then this all is multiplied by you being able to do boss mechanics and not stand in fire, or any other aoe for that matter etc.

This ALL together equals SKILL, that works in combination with your GEAR to produce your EFFECTIVENESS.

Skilled and smart player knows that all that i mentioned in EFFECTIVENESS formula is important, and whoever thinks any of the factors I mentioned are not important is not a very smart player, and progression groups do well to exclude that player.

(Yeah, I completely expect you will respond to me with something completely ridden of logic and sense. I guess it will have sense in your mind though).

So have a nice day there.

• Options
    Gothix said:
    TheCouchNerd said:

dps meters don't measure skill, they measure gear and checks if you can manage to stand still and press your rotation. It doesn't take into fact if you had to pick up the slack from the dps epeeners by doing mechanics when they are too busy standing still in fire, doing their rotation and screaming at healers or tanks when they die, or pull too much.
    So your "argument" that people who use parsers are all noobs is because you saw few random noobs standing in fire dieing, yelling about their DPS, and thus you concluded those few noobs were accurate representation of all people that use parsers? (just lol)

And I mean LOL in a very sad way... I don't even know how to respond to this... and then you ask why we even stop discussing anything with you...

Because one can't argue with person like you. I just don't know if you just act like this, or ... (ToS issues prevent me for finishing this line of text).

Now let me educate you. gear and stats are base, that base multiplies with your ability to theory craft and find best rotations for various situations and apply them (this is what PARSER is for), then this all is multiplied by you being able to do boss mechanics and not stand in fire, or any other aoe for that matter etc.

This ALL together equals skill, that works in combination with your gear to produce your EFFECTIVENESS.

Skilled and smart player knows that all that i mentioned in EFFECTIVENESS formula is important, and whoever thinks some of factors I mentioned are not important is not a very smart player.

(Yeah, I completely expect you will respond to me with something completely ridden of logic and sense. It will have sense in your mind though).

So have a nice day there.

When did I say all people that uses parsers are noobs?? Also this type of bashing on other players happens daily and more than a few times (at least in wow). I've seen good players being kicked because they didn't do x dps, all because they either had worse gear than them (playing newly levelled character or alt) or they had to do mechanics to save the raid or group.

All a dps meter does is check if you can somewhat do your rotation and have good gear.. a dps meter don't take into account if you've done the mechanics, or had to pick up slack from other players that blindly stare at the dps meter, than focusing on the mechanics and gameplay. You can still be a good player but end up doing lower than normal dps.

A person like me?? Do please tell me what kind of person I am, very curious why you think it's fine to start attacking a person, just because I've had a different experience than you apparently and don't think like you do.

I'm happy the devs feel similar to what I do and are against dps meters as addons.
  • Options
    Flameh0t said:
    iPynuts said:

Anyway, dps meters in wow show a lot more than just dps. But you wouldn't know. 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    TheCouchNerd said:

1. When did I say all people that uses parsers are noobs?? 

2. All a dps meter does is check if you can somewhat do your rotation and have good gear.. 

3. A person like me?? Do please tell me what kind of person I am
    1. you generalized all "dps epeeners" in your statement together, you didn't separate smart dps and good people "epeeners" (that like to have good dps) from noobs (and bad people in general) that die in fire while watching their dps.

2. you said dps meter checks if you can manage to stand still and press your rotation, which is completely false because usually if you stand still you will die in aoe, if you don't follow phases you will also usually die, and then you will be very low on DPS meter, same will happen if you pull agro and die, so no, DPS meter does not check if you can stand still and do rotation... also your rotation can be BAD and you will also be low on dps meter...
    ...so what DPS meter really checks if you can do GOOD rotation while also moving as you should and keeping yourself alive

3. well... a person that (in that message) generalized wider player group that uses dps meters (both good and bad people) and placed them in same basket calling them dps epeeners...
    ...and also someone that votes to deprive part of players of what they would enjoy having (parser) just because you don't want it, and you wouldn't even agree that it be optional so who wish to use it can, and who chooses not to doesn't have to (which for example I vote for, for everyone to have his choice)

I hope I answered your questions satisfactory.
    Also I am not bashing at players, I am simply pointing out what people do while commenting here, and I've been quite accurate so far (imho). While also avoiding direct insults that would violate ToS.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Gothix said:
    TheCouchNerd said:

1. When did I say all people that uses parsers are noobs?? 

2. All a dps meter does is check if you can somewhat do your rotation and have good gear.. 

3. A person like me?? Do please tell me what kind of person I am
    1. you generalized all dps epeeners in your statement together, you didn't separate smart dps "epeeners" from noobs that die in fire

2. you said dps meter checks if you can manage to stand still and press your rotation, which is completely false because usually if you stand still you will die in aoe, if you don't follow phases you will also usually die, and then you will be very low on DPS meter, so no DPS meter does not check if you can stand still and do rotation... also your rotation can be BAD, so DPS meter checks if you can do GOOD rotation while also moving as you should and staying alive

3. person that generalizes wide player group (good and bad people) and puts them in same basket, and also person that wants to deprive players of what they would enjoy having (parser) just because you don't want it, and you wouldn't even agree that it be optional so who wish to use it can, and who choses not to doesn't have to

I hope I answered your questions with satisfactory clearness.
    Also I am not bashing at players, I am describing peoples characteristics, and I've been quite accurate so far. While also avoiding direct insults that would violate ToS.

And if you can not handle someone explaining to you how you are wrong, then I don't know what to say to you.
    1. Yes that was an extreme example that happens more often than not. But it's not the only example. I've seen people get kicked because they had to pick up slack from other players that blindly focused on dps, or got killed because of another player messing up. In the end they got kicked only because of their dps numbers. Not taking into account what they did during that fight. It's just a tool i don't like, that too many use wrong. And yes there are players that use parsers and aren't assholes. But my comment was about said assholes since someone said they never saw them in wow.

2. Not always true, some fights will let you stand still and survive if someone picks up your slack. Xavius is a recent example from WoW (Only Mythic raids are slightly different, but i don't pug that). A dps meter don't always reflect/show the whole picture. And sadly most of the times people abuse them.

3. I never put people in the same basket and if it sounded like that then that was not my intent. All I did was commenting that I have seen people abuse a dps meter in dungeons and raids, and that I don't like it. I also said a dps meter don't tell/show the whole story, nor can it be used to 100% say if a player is bad or good by itself. I also said that I agree with intrepids stand, that a dps meter can cause more harm than good and I've come to that conclusion based on past experiences.
  • Options
    All a dps meter does is check if you can somewhat do your rotation and have good gear.. a dps meter don't take into account if you've done the mechanics, or had to pick up slack from other players that blindly stare at the dps meter, than focusing on the mechanics and gameplay. You can still be a good player but end up doing lower than normal dps.
    Huh.  Most parsers that I've seen parse everything that is happening in a fight.  Including all skills used and damage taken.  So if someone is standing in the fire, not doing mechanics, it should show up clearly on a proper parser.  This is another good reason to have a proper parser, because seeing this after the fact in the numbers is a lot easier than watching the graphics and cast bars of all 39 other raiders simultaneously.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    mycroft said:
    Huh.  Most parsers that I've seen parse everything that is happening in a fight.  Including all skills used and damage taken.  So if someone is standing in the fire, not doing mechanics, it should show up clearly on a proper parser.  This is another good reason to have a proper parser, because seeing this after the fact in the numbers is a lot easier than watching the graphics and cast bars of all 39 other raiders simultaneously.
    I said dps meter. Not talking about other parsers as death counts, threat, damage taken, etc.

Most of the toxic/bashing things come from the dps part of parsers. That's why i said dps meters. I wasn't talking about addons like details (for wow) that show useful things.
  • Options
    I said dps meter. Not talking about other parsers as death counts, threat, etc.
    Weird, I thought the topic was raid parsers.  Maybe you should keep on topic?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    mycroft said:
    I said dps meter. Not talking about other parsers as death counts, threat, etc.
    Weird, I thought the topic was raid parsers.  Maybe you should keep on topic?
    I was answering a guy/girl. I can't control if people remove that part of the discussion.

Scroll up and you'll see who I answered. He/she mentioned dps meters, and that the type of behaviour that was discussed rarely happens. I've had a different experience and wanted to share why maybe people don't like those type of parsers. And I think dps meters are part of the topic since they usually come with parsers. I don't like them because they are often abused, I don't mind some of the others.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I don't understand why people care so much, give us parsers so that the elitist can be elitist, if you don't want people to know your worth in a party then you are in the wrong party and shouldn't be playing with those people anyways (unless you are some sadist), play with people that don't care. but ill be damned if we are wiping at 2% all night and I don't have a parser to tell me that johnny 2cents isn't pre-potting in our world first attempts lol.

If you don't want a parser don't join guilds or groups that require one.

If you want a parser then don't join guilds or parties that don't use one.

problem solved everyone is happy.

PS!!!!!
     even better solution is to add an in the game parser that is only available to guild groups. then randoms won't get trashed on and elitist guilds can still be elitist. also the more add-on like this they implement into the base game the more control they will have over them to stop toxic things like "Optimizer" "ACT" "AskMrRobot" from popping up illegally in the game.
  • Options
    I'd only disagree to the part to give parsers only to guild groups.

It should just be an option, for anyone. You want to use it? Great, here it is. You don't want to use it? Great, then don't toggle it on.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    personally i hope there are parsers. i'm an mmo tweaker.  in games where they are available i run a parser the entire time i'm logged in and don't even have it show anyone else at all. I use it for my own personal use as i could really care less what others are doing. 

here is what i enjoy most about parsing programs.  say there is a class combo/skills set that is supposedly weak....what i like doing is taking that combo and skills set and tweaking and crunching it till it works....then i'll move on to somethin else....i could literally do that all day, every single day.  hmm just hit me, i'd make a fantastic game tester. to bad no one has in house testing anymore and just sells early access so the players can PAY the studio to TEST their game lol.  or in most cases find all the exploits possible, not report them and take advantage of them when game launches.....what a bunch of trash the gaming community has become..../shakes head in disappointment.  
  • Options
    i dont really mind parsers being ingame whether its an option or a self- only deal. id think optimally though, the raid leader should have raid-wide meters, and everyone else, self parsers. or, assign someone the raid-wide meters. im way more against any type of boss-mods type add-ons. i feel those were actually what started the downfall in raiding and dungeoning. i hope the devs keep all mechanics and testing under tight wraps before its released. id like to go back to the days bosses took weeks, if not months to finally kill....
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't like them because they are often abused, I don't mind some of the others.
    DPS meters will be part of any parsing solution, to single out dps meters and fault them because they aren't full parsers (since a full parser would cover a lot of things you criticized dps meters for not showing) is disingenuous, especially in a topic about parsers.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    mycroft said:
    I don't like them because they are often abused, I don't mind some of the others.
    DPS meters will be part of any parsing solution, to single out dps meters and fault them because they aren't full parsers (since a full parser would cover a lot of things you criticized dps meters for not showing) is disingenuous, especially in a topic about parsers.
    There have been addons that's just dps meters, and addons that's just threat meters. But yes, nowadays normally there's somewhat complete parsers, some more in depth than others. I'm still on intrepids side, I'd rather not see them because they cause more harm than good, now if they'll decided to change their minds I won't cry about it. I'll live.
  • Options
    I think you might be making too much of an assumption how raids will work or how important they will be in the overall scheme of things. They don't appear to be the end-game progression as they are in WoW.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Instead of beating each other up on your ideals on whether we should or not have parsers. I remember during one of the twitch steams this very question was posed. The answer Steven gave was there will not be any 3rd party software allowed to be used with AOC. So going by that it seems to be clear.

• Options
    Instead of beating each other up on your ideals on whether we should or not have parsers. I remember during one of the twitch steams this very question was posed. The answer Steven gave was there will not be any 3rd party software allowed to be used with AOC. So going by that it seems to be clear.

It's still a possibility the parse to be a in game option and a third-part program wouldn't be needed.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    What drew me to AoC was the fact that raids are not the end all be all of content, in fact it seems that you can make your own adventure by interacting with the node community, there is more social play involved, whether you want to make a shop in town, or join a crew of bandits.  Final Fantasy XIV, at least its current iteration, Is solely focused on raids being the end goal for players, and to this day, its guilds are glorified chat rooms and storage.  The devs showed they would literally screw up other content just to make a bad raid tier look better.

AoC shouldn't need a parser, raids are not the focus of this game and in pvp play would be an unfair advantage.  Fairness is very important in pvp play,  because if the players think cheating is involved, interest to take part in it will nosedive.
  • Options
    Lethality said:
    I think you might be making too much of an assumption how raids will work or how important they will be in the overall scheme of things. They don't appear to be the end-game progression as they are in WoW.
    No assumptions here, its on record that there will be raid leaderboards.  That means there will be people playing just to compete on those leaderboards, and a parser would be one of the best tools to help with that style of play.

AoC shouldn't need a parser, raids are not the focus of this game
    Just because they won't be the focus for you doesn't mean they won't be the focus for others.

• Options
    Dont mind me just watching the fight. 

• Options
    iPynuts said:
    Flameh0t said:
    iPynuts said:

Anyway, dps meters in wow show a lot more than just dps. But you wouldn't know. 
    @iPynuts
    Uhh.. Way to completely contradict yourself there buddy. Good to see you have no idea what you're talking about.. Why bother even commenting? 

"You probably joined a progression group" then, "you wouldn't know" 
    Clearly I'd know if I joined something.. 

I never really played WoW, I attempted a few times, but it is shit. My friend made me buy all the expansions with him, and updated all the lame mods and super ugly gross UI everywhere with some client. It was utter crap. There is absolutely 0 purpose to parsers other than bragging rights. 

And I don't care what level dungeon you think you have or haven't seen, parsers is what it is. Attempting to pass someone else and needing a graph to do it..
    Aka, exactly what I described.

Maybe you need to get a parser on the forums to write better replies, ones that actually make sense.. Or something.. Seeing as how you seem to want to be so reliant on it.
  • Options
    mycroft said:
    Lethality said:
    No assumptions here, its on record that there will be raid leaderboards.  That means there will be people playing just to compete on those leaderboards, and a parser would be one of the best tools to help with that style of play.

AoC shouldn't need a parser, raids are not the focus of this game
    Just because they won't be the focus for you doesn't mean they won't be the focus for others.

Remember that time you tried to add parsers to AoC and used the excuse of seeing someone else's current scores makes you a better player? Lel
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Haven't been back in here for a few days...

This is the forum thread version of what I imagine inner city Detroit looks like.

Can we stop the rudeness and just all get in a hot tub (clothing optional) and relax?
This discussion has been closed.