Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes of Creation - "Dear Intrepid, Let's Talk About Your Combat System.."

15678911»

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    @DeathsProxy  I see your point, but not quite. What i meant is it could potentially be " too " predictable - to a degree to where it might become a snooze-fest.

I would like for Combat to make use of other parts of the Area/ Environment - above, below and the atmosphere. ( for example )
    • The Tank-Archetype has the ... " Lion Wall " ability that activates beneath him - the " Hitbox " of that Ability begins below ground level ( presumably ) 

What if  other “ Hitboxes “ were activated on another Plane(s)-Levels ?
    ( such as ... in the Air/ Atmosphere level ? )

• Rather than listing some examples ... i think the image should suffice
    Imagine that your Opponent is in the Center of this Sphere ... and at every " Point " / Coordinate is where ... " Ability X " could potentially be activated from. For example 
    • Tidal's Force " ( Water-Spell )  ... could be activated above the Opponent - in the air. As opposed from the Activation coming from the Mage's Book or Mage's Hand / Mage's Weapon. Instead it could be at one of the Points/ Coordinates on the Sphere. ( or within the Sphere )
    • Counter-actively , if the User is in the Center of the Sphere ... the ability can be activated around the User's Character Model  - behind, front, above, etc ... 
    • But it won't be freely chosen - albeit a good idea, but remembering that this is a Small Dev Company ( ... but they're Veterans in the industry  :p ). instead ... a different " designated-activation-spot ". 
    • ( maybe freely optimized ? similar to  how U.I. can be edited ... the ability itself can be optimized in a different way , but it'll still be the same ability, just different in how its utilized for potential  shenanigans  ? ... probably not )
    • Not necessarily Action-Combat, but not as stiff as Tab-target - " Freeform-less "
    • Abilities that might change & adapt on the Environment perhaps  ?

In short, i just think that other " Foundations " can be considered & expanded upon before settling to whats already there ... even though its Pre-Alpha and countless things are bound to change.

However, after hearing that the QTE Bar is planned to stay ... i wonder what other things are planned to stay - if its lots ... then that genuinely makes me concerned in more ways than one .
    edited October 2017
    I should Clarify ...
    • The Sphere is not just one small Area on the Screen, neither just on a PvE/ PvP Engagement ... its the entire Environment itself -  the entirety of the Open-World Area.
    • Not necessarily meaning ... " Abilities without a 2D-Range-Limit " . And not necessarily a " 3D/2D Parameter-limit " neither 
    Really hoped I clarified that.

I mention this because of my personal Description of the Bard in this Thread

If the Bard casts Curses ... i do not think Curses has a Range limit, but a requirement. Admittedly ... I'm not (exactly) sure what to think of the Bard. I think i should revisit other MMOs that do have them. Because ... I'm assuming the Combat-Style might limit the Bard ... because the closest thing to a Bard ( imo ) is a " Manipulator  "
  • I think the combat system as it is can be very distracting, but has potential to be great. My idea consists of having a crosshairof some kind in the middle of the screen that would glow a certain color when you can combo. Now when it comes to those skills that require you to load it then you can have the said crosshair slowly fill change color. This would somewhat look like Snapchat' s video recording thing. Now in order for this to work the crosshair must be either translucent or white, not too big but not too small either, and I would prefer it to be in a circular design. Hopefully this makes sense
    edited September 2017
    Look a flying monkey spider!

edited September 2017
    I'll admit to not having read the entire 11 pages, with exceptional long posts. But I did read some. And one common theme was the "Overwhelmingly positive" said by Steven.

When I am at a booth, or any place where they ask for feedback. I am usually under some amount of social pressure. As they kept hammering even in the demos themselves. This is pre-alpha, it's nowhere near finished. I, and I have to believe other people suffer from this too. Find it hard to provide negative feedback. I either say nothing, or when directly approached, I'll say it's good.

I can promise you, however, if they just released the Demo for everyone to play, not just those at PAX. (Which I realise isn't feasible) The feedback would be, at the very least mixed. And probably a lot more constructive. Very few people can actually formulate a proper response and feedback when put under the proverbial spotlight.

Even giving people a card with a code, so that you can fill in a survey later, back at your hotel, should you wish it. Would have provided somewhat more reliable feedback.

I'm not saying the feedback they received wasn't reliable, but I am saying you should probably take it with a grain of salt.
  • Ariatras said:
    I'll admit to not having read the entire 11 pages, with exceptional long posts. But I did read some. And one common theme was the "Overwhelmingly positive" said by Steven.

When I am at a booth, or any place where they ask for feedback. I am usually under some amount of social pressure. As they kept hammering even in the demos themselves. This is pre-alpha, it's nowhere near finished. I, and I have to believe other people suffer from this too. Find it hard to provide negative feedback. I either say nothing, or when directly approached, I'll say it's good.

I can promise you, however, if they just released the Demo for everyone to play, not just those at PAX. (Which I realise isn't feasible) The feedback would be, at the very least mixed. And probably a lot more constructive. Very few people can actually formulate a proper response and feedback when put under the proverbial spotlight.

Even giving people a card with a code, so that you can fill in a survey later, back at your hotel, should you wish it. Would have provided somewhat more reliable feedback.

I'm not saying the feedback they received wasn't reliable, but I am saying you should probably take it with a grain of salt.
    This.

A QTE in combat is basically a cheap gimmick and is more of a distraction that ruins immersion.  If you want combos you use skills that synergize with each other.  Combat being the most important part of the game, to me this is game breaking. 
  • Ariatras said:

This.

A QTE in combat is basically a cheap gimmick and is more of a distraction that ruins immersion.  If you want combos you use skills that synergize with each other.  Combat being the most important part of the game, to me this is game breaking. 
    edited September 2017
    Ariatras said:
    My point was not that the feedback at PAX was reliable.
    My point was that Steven's takeaway from PAX from those who played is that the QTE in the UI was not terrible, it just needed cosmetic tweaks in the UI.
    So that is the path the team will continue down, rather than getting rid of the QTE and designing a method of visual cues via glows and changing colors on spell animations or giving the QTE a fixed sweet-spot.

It doesn't matter whether the feedback was reliable or inaccurate - although the very common experience that people reported is that they enjoyed the combat more than they thought they would having seen the preview online, once they actually played it.
    The feedback was always mixed - it's a pre-alpha.
    Most people hated the cosmetics and positioning of the QTE element but tolerated the QTE mechanic. And felt better about it once Steven and Jeff described how players would be able to customize the UI.
    For Steven, that was "exceedingly positive", so the team is going to continue down the path of implementing more player customization for the appearance and placement of the QTE in the UI. Rather than scrapping the QTE based on feedback from people who only watched the vids online.

It's OK to hate the concept of QTEs as part of the combat UI, just like it is to hate tab-target.
    Hating either of those doesn't mean that the dev team will remove them from their design.

People can believe that or not.
    I could be wrong. But, I am quite confidant that I am right.
    We will eventually see what the team actually does.
  • Dygz said:
    Ariatras said:
    My point was not that the feedback at PAX was reliable.
    My point was that Steven's takeaway from PAX from those who played is that the QTE in the UI was not terrible, it just needed cosmetic tweaks in the UI.
    So that is the path the team will continue down, rather than getting rid of the QTE and designing a method of visual cues via glows and changing colors on spell animations or giving the QTE a fixed sweet-spot.

It doesn't matter whether the feedback was reliable or inaccurate - although the very common experience that people reported is that they enjoyed the combat more than they thought they would having seen the preview online, once they actually played it.
    The feedback was always mixed - it's a pre-alpha.
    Most people hated the cosmetics and positioning of the QTE element but tolerated the QTE mechanic. And felt better about it once Steven and Jeff described how players would be able to customize the UI.
    For Steven, that was "exceedingly positive", so the team is going to continue down the path of implementing more player customization for the appearance and placement of the QTE in the UI. Rather than scrapping the QTE based on feedback from people who only watched the vids online.

It's OK to hate the concept of QTEs as part of the combat UI, just like it is to hate tab-target.
    Hating either of those doesn't mean that the dev team will remove them from their design.

People can believe that or not.
    I could be wrong. But, I am quite confidant that I am right.
    We will eventually see what the team actually does.

I don't care about it either way, I was concerned about it at first. But people whom have taken the time, at home, after it all sank in reviewed it. And it's basically just your weapon skill, which is one button. Rather than auto-attacks, so that's what it replaces. From what they said, abilities don't have this mechanic.

And you seem to misunderstand the meaning of my post, I know he got the impressions from PAX and that he thought they were positive, which they very well might be. I'm only saying, that many players find it difficult to flaw a game towards the creators. Which is why they should take it with a grain of salt. And finally decide on the QTE once alpha 1 is under way, and people who essentially play it daily, test it daily, can provide feedback, which will happen, I imagine in a forum format, and will be a lot more thought out and fleshed out.