Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wishlist - Weapons

Comments

• Options
    Dygz said:
    I think of D&D Cleric as primarily wielding mace or long hammer.
    I wonder if different gods will favor different weapons - especially for their Clerics.

+1 for this.
  • Options
    I have always been a fan of spears/halberds/polearms, but I rarely get to use them, given that in most games they're only aesthetically pleasing, and totally outclassed by other weapons. To be fair, I haven't played that many games, but, with that said, it seems they're often not an option, or ridiculously underpowered. I'll even take a shield/spear combo a la spartan, even that would make me happy.
    I know, right!

I don't get why polearms are always the poorly optimised, neglected weapon type in fantasy MMOs (not all, but most). The polearm was a hugely popular weapon throughout our medieval period, and was even used through into the Napoleonic wars.

I love me a good polearm.
  • Options
    Bajjer said:
    I have always been a fan of spears/halberds/polearms, but I rarely get to use them, given that in most games they're only aesthetically pleasing, and totally outclassed by other weapons. To be fair, I haven't played that many games, but, with that said, it seems they're often not an option, or ridiculously underpowered. I'll even take a shield/spear combo a la spartan, even that would make me happy.
    I know, right!

I don't get why polearms are always the poorly optimised, neglected weapon type in fantasy MMOs (not all, but most). The polearm was a hugely popular weapon throughout our medieval period, and was even used through into the Napoleonic wars.

I love me a good polearm.
    In a certain game I played, spears/polearms were the worst kind of weapon due to extremely low wielding speed. It was the worst kind of weapon until people figured out they could link attack speed gems into it and with a high enough spear mastery it became a usable and BiS weapon type.

I believe that in AoC every weapon type can be viable, but some maybe just for specific playstyles.
  • Options
    I'll even take a shield/spear combo a la spartan, even that would make me happy.
    I really like a lot of the weapon implementation in For Honor (dammit Ubisoft) and they have a lot of different styles:
    • Lawbringer uses a polearm
    • Gladiator uses a trident and shield
    • Conqueror has a flail
    • Valkyrie has a spear and shield
    • Nobushi uses a naginata (polearm)
    And my favourite the Raider uses a Long Axe. I've always loved the long axe and long hammer. I remember the first time I saw a HEMA fighter used a long hammer, or pole hammer, and it looked so amazing, 

Not a lot of good images online but here is one:

And a modern one:

• Options
    Hmmm...see the more modern one you posted surely would have difficulty piercing plate armour? What The spike was used for?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    mycroft said:
    Ziltch said:
    If rifles or guns (magical in effect) are ever introduced I can vouch that people like me who like pure Fantasy settings will stop playing.
    No need for drama here.  All I am saying is that if a mage wants to hold their magic staff along the length of their arm and point it at the target when casting spells, then that should be allowed.  And if said mage customizes the staff with various features that other realities associate with rifles, then who are we to criticize?
    No drama, just stating that I am out in the case as I do not enjoy that kind of setting :P 
    Well if a mage can, I would like to know:
    1. How did they come up with the idea.
    2. What made them think of such a thing considering that the world they came from was one without magic, and they did not have any similar technology in that world.
    3. What kind of benefits shaping a staff like that has compared to a normal staff to make them think of and use the concept itself.

As in, I want the lore, reasoning and history behind the idea and concept as it would have to make sense. 
  • Options
    Duelwield crosbows for the rangers.

Maybe some sort of spear/samurai stuf.
    Vlails are cool.
    Scytes onehanded not a big fan of 2h.

Guns JK XD
  • Options
    Fleelix said:
    Duelwield crosbows for the rangers.

Maybe some sort of spear/samurai stuf.
    Vlails are cool.
    Scytes onehanded not a big fan of 2h.

Guns JK XD

• Options
    Guns have been confirmed not to get a place in AoC.

Dual wield crossbows are physically not possible. Crossbows are considered to be the slow speed high damage weapon type. Having two of them would be too overpowered.
    Same applies to scythes, they cannot be one handed due to their size and force required to wield.

While we are at it, lets make spears one handed too and stick a katana in between your teeth for extra damage, while having a spellbook in your pocket for that extra magic defence and imbue.

It's nice to get creative, but there is a thin line between creativity and insanity.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    Guns have been confirmed not to get a place in AoC.

Dual wield crossbows are physically not possible. Crossbows are considered to be the slow speed high damage weapon type. Having two of them would be too overpowered.
    Same applies to scythes, they cannot be one handed due to their size and force required to wield.

While we are at it, lets make spears one handed too and stick a katana in between your teeth for extra damage, while having a spellbook in your pocket for that extra magic defence and imbue.

It's nice to get creative, but there is a thin line between creativity and insanity.

• Options
    How would one go about reloading two crossbows simultaneously?
  • Options
    I'm sure @Nagash would have one of his minions called Geoffrey follow him around and do it.
  • Options
    Well strength can be explained tho, just need a Strength stat requirement to wield 2H in 1H with maybe additional con's or something, so can be explained :P but I agree xD
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    My thought exactly. 

But hey, it's fantasy, so my character should be able to spit fire from his a-hole too. Because fantasy.

Or maybe my character should be able to fly, even though flying is not possible in the game. Because fantasy, and fantasy is making impossible things possible.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    Zastro said:
    My thought exactly. 

But hey, it's fantasy, so my character should be able to spit fire from his a-hole too. Because fantasy.

Or maybe my character should be able to fly, even though flying is not possible in the game. Because fantasy, and fantasy is making impossible things possible.
    that would be great to see ^^ a drunk dwarf mages that shots fireball see its writes its self
  • Options
    Megs said:
    Hmmm...see the more modern one you posted surely would have difficulty piercing plate armour? What The spike was used for?
    Indeed it was. Most polearms of the period were fitted with spikes to be utilised against mounted knights, or in massed formations. During small melee, or 1v1 fights on foot, the spikes were rarely utilised as the speed and proximity of the combat prevented their use.

For these long weapons, the primary attack forms was to hold above the head and hit down (other poses were used of course, especially for defence). 

Really interesting to actually watch people fight with these. Youtube should have heaps of videos on HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts).
  • Options
    I'm sure as the game grows and content gets added, we will be seeing a LOT of these suggestions, possibly more.
  • Options
    Vortigern said:
    I'm 100% interested in a huge variety of weapons, I dislike the generic sword & shield copy paste we see for a lot of modern MMO's. I'm specifically interested in the repeating crossbow, after playing Vindictus for a while a few years ago it sucked me in. Sadly it could cause balance issues so I don't think it will make it into AoC.
    What balance issues? I would think they would make it just like a bow, speed of fire I mean. So do the same damage as a bow and same speed, but visually a repeating crossbow, so if you really like crossbows you dont have to opt for the slower, bigger damage dealing one.

One thing I dont want with any of the weapons is ammo. Disadvantaging ranged players by having to buy and store ammo when melee people dont is something I have always hated and always rejoiced when it gets removed.
  • Options
    Lazerou said:
    Vortigern said:
    I'm 100% interested in a huge variety of weapons, I dislike the generic sword & shield copy paste we see for a lot of modern MMO's. I'm specifically interested in the repeating crossbow, after playing Vindictus for a while a few years ago it sucked me in. Sadly it could cause balance issues so I don't think it will make it into AoC.
    What balance issues? I would think they would make it just like a bow, speed of fire I mean. So do the same damage as a bow and same speed, but visually a repeating crossbow, so if you really like crossbows you dont have to opt for the slower, bigger damage dealing one.

One thing I dont want with any of the weapons is ammo. Disadvantaging ranged players by having to buy and store ammo when melee people dont is something I have always hated and always rejoiced when it gets removed.
    Well if range weapons get ammo then meele weapons can have a much lower durability so they need fixing more often, I mean the ammo coming out of nowhere is weird. If they increase the drop rate on ammo and their quantity so that it's easier to aqquire it would be for the best in my opinion.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    AutumnLeaf said:

I mean the ammo coming out of nowhere is weird. 

Fireball coming out of players hands is weird too, also player being able to charge like bullet from 20 meters away is even more weird, and yet we have those. :) And much more weird things.
  • Options
    dual wielding crossbows obviously gets reloaded with magic, its not even unrealistic or absurd in a fantasy mmo
  • Options
    I always loved occult looking spell daggers, and odd relics of power in the offhand (skulls, books, shards)

• Options
    Lazerou said:
    Vortigern said:

But then that's just a skin, I don't want weapon skins. They're tacky. I want completely different weapons of each type/class.
  • Options
    mycroft said:
    Ziltch said:
    If rifles or guns (magical in effect) are ever introduced I can vouch that people like me who like pure Fantasy settings will stop playing.
    No need for drama here.  All I am saying is that if a mage wants to hold their magic staff along the length of their arm and point it at the target when casting spells, then that should be allowed.  And if said mage customizes the staff with various features that other realities associate with rifles, then who are we to criticize?
    Yessssss, I love this idea. I find a lot of games don't actually use magical weapons to cast. Like world of Warcraft no casting is done with your weapon which I think is a waste. I love they idea where I could like have my staff stretched out and fire some spells! I personally want to be a wizard type like the Magicka game series with my hooded robes and then a staff and sword! Most mmo rpgs don't have one handed staves either.
  • Options
    I would like to see Katars.
  • Options
    And maybe Chakram too...

• Options
    Hopefully a Scythe/Greatsword so I can be a dark knight! 
  • Options

• Options
    Quarterstaff and Double bladed staff-all for casting and for close combat + Naginata
  • Options
    YES!!!!