Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wishlist - Weapons

Comments

• Options
    I hope that there will be some restriction on abilities if not weapons such as a mage using a sword can't fully utilize his strenghts etc. Regarding weapon switching I'm also curious about it but I hope that we won't be able to carry anything we like and then switch it, eg. carrying a bow and a sword but can't carry a shield at the same time since there wouldn't be enough space for it.
  • Options
    I hope that there will be some restriction on abilities if not weapons such as a mage using a sword can't fully utilize his strenghts etc. Regarding weapon switching I'm also curious about it but I hope that we won't be able to carry anything we like and then switch it, eg. carrying a bow and a sword but can't carry a shield at the same time since there wouldn't be enough space for it.
    There may be "purist" mages, but that's unlikely. Due to how the class system works, it'll be easy to come across Mage Tanks, Rogue Mages, Mage Fighters etc. Which could all use swords quite well, even better because they could combine melee combat with magical buffs and such. I also don't believe a Shield would count as a weapon, more like an off-hand. So you could carry a Shield, a Spear and a Bow.
  • Options
    Vortigern said:
    There may be "purist" mages, but that's unlikely. Due to how the class system works, it'll be easy to come across Mage Tanks, Rogue Mages, Mage Fighters etc. Which could all use swords quite well, even better because they could combine melee combat with magical buffs and such. I also don't believe a Shield would count as a weapon, more like an off-hand. So you could carry a Shield, a Spear and a Bow.
    Yea I agree but what I was referring to with the shield and bow was the placement of the object on the body, since shields can be carried on the arm aswell but that would hinder bow usage so I was wondering will they just allows us to carry the weapons like in other games (Skyrim where you can simply take stuff out of your favourite tab) or will they be displayed on the character with more "immersion" though I doubt that will be the case.
  • Options
    Vortigern said:
    Yea I agree but what I was referring to with the shield and bow was the placement of the object on the body, since shields can be carried on the arm aswell but that would hinder bow usage so I was wondering will they just allows us to carry the weapons like in other games (Skyrim where you can simply take stuff out of your favourite tab) or will they be displayed on the character with more "immersion" though I doubt that will be the case.
    I believe some older groups in Middle Eastern and possibly Asian countries used Shields and Bows at the same time, Mamluks and some Persians. I don't remember the exact groups. But I do hope we can choose which location on our body we hold items. I dislike my back getting crowded with gear.
  • Options
    Vortigern said:
    Vortigern said:
    I believe some older groups in Middle Eastern and possibly Asian countries used Shields and Bows at the same time, Mamluks and some Persians. I don't remember the exact groups. But I do hope we can choose which location on our body we hold items. I dislike my back getting crowded with gear.
    Yes, those were small shields however that did not hinder the use of a bow and were kept on their hands, like this
    I do agree that a crowded back isn't very nice in terms of appereance though :smile:

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    This might be a bit much for categorization but you could slim it down.
    And I am someone that does Historical Fencing (HEMA), so weapons from history is where I am coming from more with these. Also, please don't make Katana into it's own category of weapon, it's just a sword.

Swords (You could go crazy and divide in single-edged and double-edged as well.)
     One-Handed / Arming Sword (Sabres of all kinds, broadsword, falchion, gladius, dao)
     Hand-and-a-Half / Bastard Sword (Longsword, Katana, Jian) Capable of striking one   and two handed but usually held in 2.
     Two-Handed / Great Sword (Zweihander, claymore, nodachi, kreigsmesser)
     Rapiers

Axes: 1- and 2-handed.

Bludgeoning: Maces, Flails, Morning Stars, Warhammers and so on. 1- and 2-handed.

Polearms:
     Thrusting (Spears. Lightest, longest and fastest, can be thrown and 1-handed with shields maybe.)
     Cutting (Glaives, bardiche, war-scythes. Got the ability for sweeping cleaves)
     Hooking (Halberds, bill-hooks. Can trip and CC enemies, slowest and heaviest.)

Daggers: From stilletto types to knifes and more.

Staves: I'd say keep staves a purely magical weapon, no quaterstaves for fighting, A spear or other polearms are basically a better staff for fighting.

Bows and Crossbows: I really hope we get some more love for the crossbow, make it more interesting gameplay wise rather than a differently skinned bow.

Shields:
     Small-shield: Buckler and targe style smaller shield.
     Half-shield: The "normal" shield.
     Full-shield: The big "tower shield", greek aspis, roman scutum, pavise, large viking   shields.

Other Magic based:
     Orbs
     Grimoires
     Wands
     Scythes

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I think tanks should have big shields or the biggest ones in the game looks pretty non inspiring seeing a toon tank a huge boss with a small or medium sized sheilds.

So I would like tanks to have close to tower shields in size.
  • Options
    I think tanks should have big shields or the biggest ones in the game looks pretty non inspiring seeing a toon tank a huge boss with a small or medium sized sheilds.

Restricting a class to only one type of Shield isn't what I want to see. Yes, a massive mountain-esque looking character should use a Tower Shield. But if they wish to use a buckler they can. To incentivize using such a shield, possibly boost their defense with said Shield type?
  • Options
    Vortigern said:

Restricting a class to only one type of Shield isn't what I want to see. Yes, a massive mountain-esque looking character should use a Tower Shield. But if they wish to use a buckler they can. To incentivize using such a shield, possibly boost their defense with said Shield type?
    I would agree. Intrepid have gone out of their way to allow all classes to use all weapons, so we aren't going to see a restriction on the size of shields. And nor should we. A larger shield is not always better.

The size and shape of the shield is more often chosen in concert with the weapon and with the fighting style. Are you fighting as solo, as a pair or part of a formation? in many instances a smaller shield is more beneficial to movement and coverage than a kite shield or scutum.

I agree that fending off a giant club with a buckler makes little sense but that is where the fantasy comes in. Shields are used for deflection as often as blocking and even a buckler can deflect the swing of the largest sword.
  • Options
    Well maybe they could have the option to make shields bigger.  I have ran across some great looking shields in some other games but you go and put them on a toon then they look tiny.  

So to rephrase my statement I would like a selection of bigger shields verses just having three or four of them in the game.  
  • Options
    Yes, those were small shields however that did not hinder the use of a bow and were kept on their hands, like this
     I have seen a few were the bow is huge and part of the bow hangs over the forearm by design just like a small shield.  So it could be all one piece.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I am really loving the freedom Intrepid are adding into the weapon and gear choices. I don't know what I want to use because I have no idea what class I want to play. The whole 64 class types with augments means I just have no idea what I want to do this time around, lucky we have plenty of time to decide :)

I do love the idea of polearms being a much bigger part of the game. I have always liked the look of the Bardiche and I totally share the sentiment of others about using spears. Spears are so ubitquitous, are you telling me that none of these artists in MMOs think they can make them cool? 

Please lets have spears.

Oh and let them have different animations from polearms, they are used in super different ways.
  • Options
    Meh, broken beer bottles for use as daggers.
  • Options
    I would definitely like to see some of the races having different weapon style that reflect a different culture.  Having all the weapons be of western European style in a game with multiple races and cultures makes it hard to maintain immersion.  I would love to see swords like the khopesh, cinquedea, tulwar, kinjal, etc. and so forth.  Various other weapons like the Iklwa, kama, katar...the list could go on and on.
  • Options
    Noemad said:
    I would definitely like to see some of the races having different weapon style that reflect a different culture.  Having all the weapons be of western European style in a game with multiple races and cultures makes it hard to maintain immersion.  I would love to see swords like the khopesh, cinquedea, tulwar, kinjal, etc. and so forth.  Various other weapons like the Iklwa, kama, katar...the list could go on and on.
    We haven't seen any artwork yet, but from what they have mentioned on the streams and discord there will be a different style for each race (even an Aztec themed one) so this should be architecture as well as weapons and gear. 

If everything pans out, we should be spoilt for choice :)
  • Options
    Bajjer said:
    Noemad said:
    We haven't seen any artwork yet, but from what they have mentioned on the streams and discord there will be a different style for each race (even an Aztec themed one) so this should be architecture as well as weapons and gear. 

If everything pans out, we should be spoilt for choice :)
    This makes me happy.  If you're going to be spoiled that's the way to do it.
  • Options
    I just can't wait to see what the Grimoire can really do 
  • Options
    Looking forward to the Aztec themed stuff. Some nice obsidian bladed clubs. Maybe not obsidian though, maybe some magic stone that is as hard as steel because the first time one of those obsidian shards hits a metal sword its shatter-time.

Or maybe one with dragon teeth or something like this

• Options
    I can't wait to see some of the racial weapons, armor and even cities.  I've always loved reading about and studying ancient cultures so to have these racial differences in a game really adds to the immersion for me.

What do we know about the gods of Verra?  Is there going to be one overall pantheon or will each culture have their own set of deities?  I've really got to find time to watch all of the live streams so I can catch up on some of this stuff.
  • Options
    Bajjer said:

You could even have the guild logo be added to shields – I think it would be amazing to be able to see a bunch of tanks from the same guild with different armour and weapons but with the same guild logo design on their shields 

Prepare to see 40 grown men with same weeb **** meme on their shields charging at you in turtle formation, haha.

Anyways, I mentioned it before here, but maybe too long ago.. I would like to see Qatar options for some rogue + X classes!

• Options

I still can't quite figure out what exactly the weird bow thing the ranger is holding, but the thing the Tank is leaning on... 

Well this is exactly what I was hoping Ashes would move away from. Just plain ludicrous-sized hammer heads. Even if we say that the dwarf is incredibly strong, the reach on that hammer is far less then even a short sword.

The head of the hammer also looks to be smooth, which means that it is prone to simply sliding off armour. Hammer heads have always had a coronet or some kind of projections that allow the hammer to bite into the armour and transfer all of the force into a single point.

I get fantasy, I love fantasy, but even in fantasy there is physics and this weapon is nonsense.

I know boo-hoo right, just my opinion though. It's only one image and the other in-game concept art looks heaps better.

Quite a nice elegant staff.
  • Options
    I have to admit, really don't like the over sized weapons, know this is just my opinion but they just look silly.
  • Options
    Varkun said:
    I have to admit, really don't like the over sized weapons, know this is just my opinion but they just look silly.
    Beyond silly, fantasy is all cool but if I see any 3 meter long swords with the width of a grown mans chest then tyvm :neutral:
  • Options
    Be happy. You could have got this instead.
    Image may contain outdoor
  • Options
    No well I think that's taking it a bit too far xd 
  • Options
    I think maybe the ranger has a kind of hand crossbow. That's what it looks like, but then the arrows in the quiver look way longer.

Maybe in these sketches everything is just way out of proportion. Maybe the hammer isn't really that big, maybe it's just like a caricature sketch :)

Rest easy @Bajjer. :)
  • Options
    @Lazerou Maybe :)

I know I might sound like a narky old bastard but I saw that sketch of what I would say is one of the most poorly designed fantasy hammers I have seen and I was just TRIGGERED!
  • Options
    For a sword I would LOVE there to be something like a Kriegsmesser. Well not like, I would LOVE to just see a Kriegsmesser in the game. 

They are just such an elegant weapon. The one here is from Albion Swords and is just beautiful. Those sleek, simple lines. It would be a crime to fantasise that. Maybe a little patterning along the blade, just near the hilt.

I saw this one on Skallagrim's channel (thanks for that intro @Bajjer). You can see a video where he gushes about it here.
  • Options
    Have to chime in - i would love to see polearms, especially on dwarves (halberds, bardiches, glaives, pikes). Missed that in a lot of MMOs recently, in Asheron's Call you could use them (i know, 17 years ago), also in a few others, and i loved it.
  • Options
    Oban said:
    Have to chime in - i would love to see polearms, especially on dwarves (halberds, bardiches, glaives, pikes). Missed that in a lot of MMOs recently, in Asheron's Call you could use them (i know, 17 years ago), also in a few others, and i loved it.
    Polearms are a must have, afterall this game should have a huge diversity to allow players to explore different combat styles.