Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wishlist - Weapons

Comments

• Options
    I believe there is already artwork for a polearm so we know that it will exist, but just because we see one doesn't mean it will be a viable weapon type and commonly seen.

WoW had polearms too, but most were as ugly as sin and poorly optimised and barely seen.

With every class able to use every weapon, and with crafting being such a huge thing, it will only be up to Intrepid to design the things. Then it will be up to us players to craft them and use them :)
  • Options
    WoW is old is no use comparing it to AoC which is made in UE, we will probably see almost every sort of weapon but it will depend on what 'regions' they choose, mixing katanas and longswords together in the same place would be silly.
  • Options
    I would picture fist weapons be mostly used by some sort of monk. Maybe fighter primary archetype, with cleric secondary?
  • Options
    I like every kind of weapon and specially the variety itself. It should just fit into this fantasy kind of middle age universe but thats all. So it think it would be strange to see a machine gun but everything else .. why not xD 

mixing katanas and longswords together in the same place would be silly.
    you think ? hm i see this in other games mixed and i like both of them. as im a japan fanboy i like katanas a bit more but i also like to play a classic knight. 
  • Options
    Sora_NGNL said:
    I like every kind of weapon and specially the variety itself. It should just fit into this fantasy kind of middle age universe but thats all. So it think it would be strange to see a machine gun but everything else .. why not xD 

mixing katanas and longswords together in the same place would be silly.
    you think ? hm i see this in other games mixed and i like both of them. as im a japan fanboy i like katanas a bit more but i also like to play a classic knight. 
    I'm not saying not to add katanas, but to put them in a different region/race, exactly how Japan used katanas and european countries used longswords etc.
  • Options
    Oh i see i missunderstood that  mb ^^ 
  • Options
    WoW is old is no use comparing it to AoC which is made in UE, we will probably see almost every sort of weapon but it will depend on what 'regions' they choose, mixing katanas and longswords together in the same place would be silly.

You are right, it was mentioned by Steve that the orcs racial style will be orient inspired both in their buildings, weapons and armour. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    I can't stress this enough, no drama mama, but I don't want to see cosmetic skins for weapons like spoons or candy canes, etc. However, not to spoil fun, please add a check box for my visibility of skins so I don't have to see them? 
    So @Blind_Mouse, while I understand your hesitation toward skins for weapons, I think skins are the absolute BEST way to give everyone what they want in terms of stats and customization. If a person wants the more boring, realistic weapon, I say allow them to change their Hammer of a Thousand Suns into a standard hammer. If someone has a bland weapon that gives them good stats but it clashes with their sense of fashion? Let them change it to a purple hyper fantasy sword that goes with his fancy pauldrons. If a person has a character that fights with a steel tankard in one hand and a cattle prod in the other (me), go for it! These people shouldn't have to sacrifice stats for their aesthetic inclinations.

I also hope that you can't turn off being able to see my choice of weapon- that could lead to some awkward interactions!  

I am with you on the notion of fighting with a weapon cosmetic skin of a flower and a candy cane- that feels a little much (maybe those aren't cosmetic items but are held non-weapon items like in LOTRO?), but I did like the WoW transmog idea so my drunk Dwarf could fight with a broken bottle and a beer stein- both can be effective weapons (as many bar regulars can attest). Candy canes, even magically imbued ones, shouldn't in my humble opinion.

TLDR: Hoping they have cosmetic skins for weapons, and non-weapon held items for RP variety.
  • Options
    @-Sev- I am of the exact opposite opinion :)

I hate skins. It reminds me of the transmog system in WoW. When anything can be anything, the system really loses meaning. I also think it is really lazy game mechanics and quite cack for the game itself (sure you can say they are just illusions, but it is a reach to try and fit in with immersion).

With the crafting ability we will have in Ashes, and I think this sounds a lot like what you can do in Elder Scrolls, we won't have the need for skins. If you like a Dunir motif then you can create a Dunir sword with the specific stats that you find desirable for your character and build.

This is a system that can augment the gear drops in the world, which I dont think should be able to be changed. If you get an item from the world then it should stay looking the same so it is recognisable.

I agree with @Blind_Mouse in not wanting silly stuff to be used as weapons. Sure your character can carry that broken bottle for RP purposes but you can't go into a fight against a dragon wielding it. Silly stuff should not have stats, unless they are also silly stats.
  • Options
    @-Sev- I am of the exact opposite opinion :)

I hate skins. It reminds me of the transmog system in WoW. When anything can be anything, the system really loses meaning. I also think it is really lazy game mechanics and quite cack for the game itself (sure you can say they are just illusions, but it is a reach to try and fit in with immersion).

With the crafting ability we will have in Ashes, and I think this sounds a lot like what you can do in Elder Scrolls, we won't have the need for skins. If you like a Dunir motif then you can create a Dunir sword with the specific stats that you find desirable for your character and build.

This is a system that can augment the gear drops in the world, which I dont think should be able to be changed. If you get an item from the world then it should stay looking the same so it is recognisable.

I agree with @Blind_Mouse in not wanting silly stuff to be used as weapons. Sure your character can carry that broken bottle for RP purposes but you can't go into a fight against a dragon wielding it. Silly stuff should not have stats, unless they are also silly stats.
    I'm also against skins, they feel cheap. I wouldn't want to see someone running around with a Candy Cane or a Flower, and the whole idea of someone changing the skin of their two-handed swords' appearance into that of a Glaive for example. That'd totally annoy me.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Just to clarify- I too don't want to see someone running around slaying dragons with candy canes and flowers. I suggested those be classified as non- weapon held items that some games allow players to carry around but not skin.

I am primarily thinking of LOTRO when I think of weapon skins. I feel they did it best. You can only skin a weapon of the same type of weapon (1H swords for 1h swords, etc.) This prevents people from turning swords into polearms, for example- and I believe LOTRO keeps a lot of its player base not only due to the loyal fans the universe commands, but also because of how RP friendly it is- and by that I mean how easily people can make their character look and fight the way they envision them. If they want to be a hobbit holding a basket of flowers as they skip through the Shire... they can (that item in their hand is not a weapon... but the non-weapon held item I was describing earlier), but if someone hates the skin of a sword that dropped from a quest as they are leveling but it has the best stats their character can currently use, you can swap it out.

As for the broken bottle- personally, I wouldn't be running around slaying dragons with that either- it was primarily used for PvP duels outside of bars. The ability to skin my weapon though was my point and it was a VERY wonderful tool to allow my dwarf to fight using the weapon her chose /had available for that fight.

I understand how one might assume skins might impact crafting, but if the game requires that the character uses the weapon- thus binding it to them, or even consuming it for the skin, you actually encourage people to buy things from crafters all. the. time. regardless of level. To me, that's a re-usability for recipes that are just placed in the skill tree for crafters to give them content to wade through before they get to "the good stuff".

Did Ashes team also mention that items will show their wear over time? I thought I saw that somewhere- if that's the case, that's an even bigger reason for skins to be weapons that get consumed upon use. The skins can wear down and fail over time... thus creating an even bigger market to produce weapons.

Skins don't have to take the place of weapons- the weapon being wielded should wear down too- so in the end if you don't want a skin, you don't have to... it'd even be cheaper not to have to worry about skins. But if you are so inclined to use them and are willing to basically wear down the durability of two weapons to get the look you want, I say go for it.

Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    So far we don't have any cosmetic weapon skins that have been granted through package or store sales. Skins can only be applied to a single mount or character, but are reusable. So say you get tired of your elf running around all angelic, you can remove the skin and throw it on your dwarf. If it is something they sell, you can bet it won't be single use. Especially when there is a chance of item destruction due to corruption mechanics.
  • Options
    I AM a fan of spears myself.....Mmmm, I can just think of the possibilities already
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I need to see two handed han sword. Necessarily two handed. Its light, flexible, sharp sword. Its better than hold heavy slow sword who can destroy when you stand on a sword who deal the same damage  (not need to  be made from gold). I can be satisfied even if this will be as skin. 

• Options
    I was just looking up some tulnar stuff and realized that the silhouettes actually give us some cool insight to possible weapon styles in game. 

This one I'm really excited about: 

Epic looking staff? Or epic looking axe?:

We have a big ass, as big as your body sword

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Well, it's good to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't want another game full of ridiculous oversized or impractical-looking weapons... So many beautiful things can be done with realistically functional (or nearly so) designs that it just seems unnecessary and silly to go for over-the-top massive chunks of strangely-coloured metal decorations and fist-sized gems.

As for actual weapons, yeah, spears of various lengths (and consequently ranges/attack speeds), and metal-tipped staves. That's about all I ask for there. Everything else is likely to be covered anyway.
  • Options
    Oversized weapons aren't really bad but only if they are within an acceptable range, as long as swords aren't the width of a chest plate then I'm satisfied.
  • Options

This one I'm really excited about: 

That is an intriguing find. Looks incredibly impractical but then just take a look at the whip swords from India and other south east Asian countries. Hell, even a flail is a pretty dangerous weapon to the user.

Interesting to see how that would play out for animations.
  • Options
    Agreed @nabler it’s certainly possible it was just generic concept and we won’t see anything like it in game, buuuuut this at least leans toward seeing some more unique type weapons in game. This alone opens up a real possibility for whips, rope darts, and flails. Fingers crossed 😁
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Would like to see the artist of Evilbane hired check this out

One of the best I have seen so far plus if you go to the Evilbane Wiki   and go through all the images not that many you would see that all their stuff is pretty good.  They also have matching sword and shields sets would like to see hammer and shield sets for tanks.  I like to tank on my pally.  And pallies traditionally have hammers per DnD.

This art style is just awesome and a good goal  to exceed or meet.
  • Options
    I'm curious.  For a bard what would his intrument(lute or flute) be categorized as?  An accessory or off hand perhaps?  Also I'm assuming the instrument will be functional like seeing him pull it out while playing a song to buff or debilitate someone.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Personally, I'd love to see Flail's implemented. (Mace with chain/spiked ball)

I've always loved the weapon and not many games use them. Would be bad ass to get my tanking on with a a board and flail! Other than that, this game has a ton of depth that they are aiming for. Changing seasons!?! In an MMO!?! IDK what I would do if they gave me flails too.  (But I can dream)

And completely off topic, but being able to pick a run animation in character creation would be bad ass.
  • Options
    I'll take the bow and dagger please. some nice range as well as something to kill up close and personal. and probably a staff/spellbook/whatever for some heavy duty magic bombardment.
  • Options
    Sword/Flute 
    Allow us to duel weird our weapons and have one for slashing and the other for wacking, maybe quacking? :naughty:

• Options
    Great post and discussions,
    I think a shortsword would be nice. It would be cool if it swung faster than a longsword  or something or like in D&D it was like a finesse type weapon were you could choose dexterity or strength as the main attribute backing it ! I suppose some reason to choose it over a longsword.
  • Options
    Vortigern said:

An example of what I wouldn't want to see...

Is that the size of your EGO or something else. I know its all fantasy but this is too fantastical. You cant even strap it to your back. The point will drag into the ground slowing your progress.

• Options
  • Options
    Would like to see the legendary digital artist samouel from deviant art hired for some peices all of his works are well legendary, have not see any one better in my opion.
    This sword is actually for sale along with all his other works.
    http://samouel.deviantart.com/

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I would like to see Glavie's in this game :) didnt seen much games using that weapon since the silkroad online.
  • Options
    Id like to see weapons from all different civilizations of the world. For example a Chinese sword looks vastly different from a japanese one or a european sword. I hope all will be available but the differences all visible. Not just a couple variety of one weapon with different colours and stats.