Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PK'ers, Killing a PK'er and Drops on Death.

I head the the charity live stream that Player Killers would have different colored text which would allow for easy recognition. This is amazing. One question I have is if someone avidly kills PK'ers would that make them a PK? Or would it change there text the same way a PK has their text changed. Also, what will you drop when you die? What do you guys think should be dropped on death?

Tasamuel

Comments

• Options
    Killing a red player, a PK'er,  does not make you a red player according to the current system Intrepif has in place.
    Intrepid have stated that players drop a portion of their gathered resources on death and that red players also have a chance to drop gear on death.
  • Options
    a pk will turn red. drop materials and gear(rate increases the more corrupt)
    someone fighting back and killed will just drop materials
    and someone who doesnt fight back will drop a increased rate of materials.

killing a pk will not affect your corruption as they are not lawful, so your not committing evil. the same as fighting back or not at all.

it should also be noted stats are negatively affected when you are a corrupted player.

if any of this has changed please correct me
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    NoeSparks said:

killing a pk will not affect your corruption as they are not lawful, so your not committing evil. the same as fighting back or not at all.

it should also be noted stats are negatively affected when you are a corrupted player.

Got a question sir : 

So basically if I kill a PKer i can loot his weapon that he worked hard for months to get it ? I dont like PK but still it would be **** to do that.
  • Options

Like in the old days of UO, I can picture a gang of Red Pkers running crazy over the game map. They will raid the dungeons, killing all inside. They will raid the caravans, stopping all traffic. They will raid the mining zones, taking all the good stuff. They will just raid to raid, blocking access to doing things. It happened in UO, and the only thing that will stop them from going ape mad nuts, they can't use magic to escape. The one thing that will even this madness out. You take about Pkers, and you reminded me of all the times I had a few run ins with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaHvDnXWHMY

• Options
    edited November 2017
    @Jaikant If someone is going around pk'ing using top tier gear they don't deserve to have top tier gear. 
  • Options
    Jaikant said:
    NoeSparks said:

Got a question sir : 

So basically if I kill a PKer i can loot his weapon that he worked hard for months to get it ? I dont like PK but still it would be **** to do that.
    In general, yes. Specifically though, not quite. If you kill a PKer you will get to loot some of their personal gear. The longer they have been PKing without dying the more corrupt they become (and weaker supposedly......it becomes increasingly challenging to remain corrupt). the more corrupt they are the greater% of personal loot you will get. that loot however is random afaik. You won't get to specifically choose what to take from them.

The smarter PKers however will not be wearing their best gear and will be using "throw away" gear so they won't care about the death.
  • Options
    The whole corruption mechanic feels a little odd. While it will encourage not killing people way below your level I fear for the result it will produce with gathering out in the world. If for example someone wanders into my hunting grounds and refuses to leave attacking them would normally persuade them to leave... However the way it is currently set up the corruption mechanic encourages them not to fight back and let me kill them gaining corruption... 
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @Argentdawn Remember there's no fast travel so death might mean having to travel long distances again. You'll gain corruption but you'll also win that hunting ground.

That being said I'm not sure how the respawn mechanic works.
  • Options
    A lot of the looting mechanics and respawn mechanics are speculation at this point and most likely what you see in the beginning will not be what will be the mechanic upon release.
    There are two schools of thought on whether you will be able to loot that shiny sword you want from a red corrupted individual that have killed. One of them has people saying we get to full loot reds on death. The other goes off of what they have said that as a corrupted player you will have a chance to "drop or destroy" gear. Most likely you will not be able to loot a red for anything more  than the gathered materials that they have taken in their misadventures. They will possibly lose certain gear pieces upon death. Whether as the killer you get to pick and choose from said loot has not been confirmed.
    Respawn mechanics for corrupted players has been stated as working different from regular PVE deaths. Characters killed by PVP actions will respawn randomly to prevent corpse camping at respawn points. How far ranging that random respawn is has not been confirmed, but imagine it will be in the same node. Another 5 weeks we will get our first peek. And while if you don't have access to the locked forums or Discord for those in Alpha 0, you can bet they will be filled with the screams of the dying.
  • Options
    The whole corruption mechanic feels a little odd. While it will encourage not killing people way below your level I fear for the result it will produce with gathering out in the world. If for example someone wanders into my hunting grounds and refuses to leave attacking them would normally persuade them to leave... However the way it is currently set up the corruption mechanic encourages them not to fight back and let me kill them gaining corruption... 
    I don't think we will have personal hunting grounds...
    For me this game will be about community and helping the node almost as much as helping yourself.
    Resources will be limited and they will migrate (at least ore is confirmed to) so it is likely that "your" hunting ground would be one of the few hunting grounds in that node.

This will likely be the dissenting opinion, but...
    Attacking someone just for wandering into the same area of the game you are currently resource gathering in because they too want to gather resources IMO is not super neighborly. I am kind of hoping this mechanic does lead to a "let's hunt together" mentality. It will be a big world, but with limited resources, popularity of nodes, and number of players, we might not all have acres to enjoy ourselves.
  • Options
    I used to play a MUD(multi user dungeon) that had PK where you dropped items, you would basically have to respawn and go get newbie items then go kill things in sequence to get stronger and stronger items until you were built back up. you would have multiples of the same item in storage so you could gear up again without the hassle. one way around losing gear being a problem could be a simpler gear system and a more advanced stat and skill system (such as spending xp on character level, stats or skills) so that the gear isnt the main modifier for damage but your stats and skills are. of course you could have enchantments and such that are bought from npcs or players/awarded for quests or pvp to modify your gear appropriately and would as proposed in the discussion about how much trash gear is found in MMOs fix that issue because you would only get fairly generic gear but it would be up to you to modify it to suit your needs. It would also reward players for not player killing and being gatherers/crafters of required mats for enchantments or doing the enchanting. making them valuable to keep alive and maybe extort a player rather than just murder for no reason. since there are no factions i imagine it would be easier to separate yourself from a griefing player because there arent faction specific zones. i know, i know long post but one more thing. i dont like that corruption is supposed to weaken you gradually i think if it caused issues where npcs wouldnt speak to you or offer quests hell even lie to you and send you on a wild goose chase or into the dragons lair so to speak because they dont like or trust you. theres my 83 cents :tongue:
  • Options
    I don't like PK'ers but I don't want them restricted from content because they too are paying a sub. I feel like a system that encouraged that might also encourage PK'ers to only PK since they would have a harder time finding legit quest to otherwise occupy them.

As I have stated before I like the idea of a corruption system and I am looking forward to testing it out on both sides in the Alpha/Beta. I see it as the world telling you not to be evil just for funzies.
  • Options
    how do u loose corruption status beside dying to another player?
  • Options
    Roxx said:
    You don't as stated so far. It it to prevent workarounds to the system by just jumping off a cliff or using the environment in other ways to avoid the mechanics. Whether they have managed to put that depth into the coding is what testing is going to be for.
  • Options
    Elder said:
    @Jaikant If someone is going around pk'ing using top tier gear they don't deserve to have top tier gear. 

Why not? If they worked hard for it they deserve to have it.

This is the same as if someone said to you that you don't deserve to have anything because of your own play style.
  • Options
    Roxx said:
    You don't as stated so far. It it to prevent workarounds to the system by just jumping off a cliff or using the environment in other ways to avoid the mechanics. 

Game is able to detect if you died by another player or by environment, so there is no reason whatsoever why getting rid of corruption by suicide would be possible.
  • Options
    What I'm really curious about is how exactly they'll handle the tagging. The current system sounds a lot like lineage 2, where if you hit someone you were flagged purple, and if they fought back they became purple and you could kill them without penalty.

But the issue was that if the other person stopped attacking, their name would flash, and eventually they'd return to a non-combat state. And if you killed them at that point, bam, you're a pker, and you're a loot piñata that can't fight back without accruing more karma.

Happened pretty often, whether it was a skill with a long wind up, or you misjudged someone's level or they were trolling at low hp etc, and it could really set you back weeks to months of game time if you lost a valuable item or six. Granted, you could just go farm xp for a while and work off your karma.

The corruption/gear drop sounds equally punishing if you manage to go pk on accident. Guess it would up the value of having friends you could trust to murder you and hand your stuff back after though ^^

• Options
    Direct quote from the big man himself. He played the game, and he liked their system, so that is what you are going to see.
    "And for those of you who played Lineage II, there was a similar, and i mean very very similar, flagging system there, and it worked in my opinion, very well to mitigate players who were just interested in ganking and griefing, which is obviously a part of the game, it's a risk that's associated with traveling out in the open world."

@Carve "The corruption/gear drop sounds equally punishing if you manage to go pk on accident. Guess it would up the value of having friends you could trust to murder you and hand your stuff back after though ^^"

They have thought of this also and there are mechanics planned to address the "I'll just have my friends or guildies kill me." crowd. People on your friends list and guild are not able to attack you from what they have stated. And dropping friends list or guild may have cooldowns and penalties associated. Also, it has never been actually stated that people will be able to loot items from dead reds, just that they have a chance to drop items or have them destroyed. So it very well could be that you find a workaround, kill your friend, and his gear goes poof, without you ever seeing it. We will find out more in 5 weeks.
  • Options
    ahh that's some great info - thanks for digging that up!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Ok besides sieging, how do I go about killing someone in an enemy node. As I understand it, nodes are essentially what players are going to be fighting for. So if me an my buddies belong to node 1 and we decide to go into node 2 influence zone to stop those people into progressing their node. How do we maintain corruption or not at all? For example, we all start as non-combatant and chat to the enemy players either you leave or we kill you. Say they decide not to leave and fight back, then you don't gain corruption (it's a gamble) . But what if they respond that they don't want to leave and will not fight back ... Then I guess you will have to gain corruption?  Also is there a safe zone for corrupted players? like in village or metropolis? so we cooldown and become a non-combatant again?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Actually by going into their node you will be helping them, because all exp gains in that node help that node. So if you gain exp for pvp kills, then you are helping that node.
    You go in. Tell them to piss off, they leave. You have blocked them helping their node.
    You go in. Tell them to piss off, they laugh at you, and continue gathering. Node still gets exp.
    You go in. Tell them to piss off, they laugh at you, you attack them, but don't kill them, no corruption.
    You go in. Tell them to piss off, they laugh at you, you attack and kill them. They gain 2x the death exp debt, you gain corruption, 4-6 times the exp debt on death, stat reduction, and are flagged red for anyone to kill without penalty.
    You go in. Tell them to piss off, they laugh at you, you attack and they fight back. You kill them. They gain the normal exp debt from death.
    You go in. Tell them to piss off, they laugh at you, you attack and they fight back. They kill you. You gain the normal exp debt from death.
    You go in. Tell them to piss off. They do while announcing in zoi chat for their city that there are a couple badasses outside at such and such location spoiling for a fight. Militia scrambles and you get chased off or smacked into the dirt.

There has been no mention of safe zones for corrupted players. Though going to your own freehold and locking the door would probably make you safe, till you came out again. Corruption does not decrease over time, only by grinding exp to remove the exp/stat penalty. There is no "so we cooldown and become a non-combatant again?"
    You do the crime, (which is killing someone green) you will take the penalty.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit
    http://www.ashesofcreation-the-odyssey.com/2017/07/pvp-flagging-and-corruption-system.html

• Options
    So wait are you saying that we can't stop any guild's progress from leveling their nodes? And the only way is to siege and win?
  • Options
    @Valerian I like the corruption mechanic for just these situations. It adds a level of choice, of risk and reward, to PvP.

You can't just go around killing everything in sight just because you can. There is now a risk to doing so. Nothing is stopping you from making that choice of course, but there is a consequence for doing so.

So everyone, from the PvPers, to PKers to griefers and campers can all make the decision for themselves.

Without a corruption mechanic the gatherers, explorers and questers are taking all the risk by simply existing in the world, while the PKers have free reign. With a corruption mechanic, the PKers also take on a little risk as well.

Seems to be quite a fair system.

I'm still on the fence over loot dropping/breaking but mainly because I don't have strong feelings either way.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    My question is, besides declaring a siege on an enemy node. Is there things that players can do to hinder that nodes further progression or even weaken the node to gain an advantage while waiting for the siege? I also read about the caravan system, but anything else?  I mean I fear that most players are just not going to fight back in the open world and PVP is going to be only in battlegrounds.
  • Options
    Guilds don't control nodes, they control one of the 5 castles and automatically get the 3 military nodes around it.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/10158/quotebin-quotes-of-intrepid-team-from-discord/p1

• Options
    This is literally what will happen to me if I try to PVP:

• Options
    Valerian said:
    My question is, besides declaring a siege on an enemy node. Is there things that players can do to hinder that nodes further progression or even weaken the node to gain an advantage while waiting for the siege? I also read about the caravan system, but anything else?  I mean I fear that most players are just not going to fight back in the open world and PVP is going to be only in battlegrounds.
    Monster coin events are a possiblitly. Also, if you build up the node adjacent to your enemy's node before they build theirs you can lock their node from progressing further. We also don't know if killing players gived exp, so I wouldn't assume PK'ing would help the enemy's node at all.
  • Options
    Chudyie said:
    This is literally what will happen to me if I try to PVP:

Anytime I see something from that game I just have to think back and say "how did we play that?". But then I remember how much fun I had.
  • Options
    A Siege is, for now, the only way to engage and kill other players (even if they don't fight back) just for being members of a different node, including guilds. However, they are working on guild war mechanics.

But why would you want a mechanic that allows you to kill other players just because they are from another town? That's not very community forward.