Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will PVP be a focus?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited November 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
So, I'm not good at English, I'm from Brazil, but I'd like to say, that you need to focus a lot on pvp too, because I can not see any good enough games in this besides world of warcraft, but wow it's old, but pvp is the best, so in my opinion you have to leave AoC it more dynamic, where a group is formed, and each one needs to do its job, both to heal, deal damage, and controls (stuns, sleep etc). Sorry for the mistakes!

Comments

• Options
    I agree with the Yuuroz.
    Please, tell for us (your fans) more informations about PvP.
    But, maby, we haven't seen the relevant post (or posts).
    Advance thanks.
  • Options
    Ashes is a PvX game. PvP is an integral part of their systems and the game has been built around that. Go to aocwiki.net and watch the relevant livestreams. Information is out there if you look.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I join in wishes that PvP will be more liberal and no so restricted.

Hopefully PvP will not end up happening just occasionally and only during specific events (sieges and caravans).
  • Options
    I figured that PvP & PvE will be present in everything we do
  • Options
    wasnt it open pvp? so i guess yea the focus is about both
  • Options
    That would depend on what you expect from PvP.

If you expect a moba (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) Like World of Warcraft battlegrounds. You may be a tad bit disappointed. There will be arena's (1v1 etc.)
    But the larger scale battles they will take place in the open world. 
    From what we can gather, it'll be mostly centred around the Caravan system, and of course the node sieges. 

I suspect the open-world dungeons will be a haven for it too. 
    For non-consensual PvP, there is a corruption system. How that currently works is not all too well known, as far as I know.

Here is what we do know, though. For most PvP things (caravans etc.) you will get prompted to either attack or defend, depending where the caravan comes from. If you accept either of the roles, you are free game.

Within the world itself, if you get attacked and die, they'll suffer corruption, if they gain enough of it, they can drop gear or items they hold upon dying. I imagine there will be more, but it's not information I currently possess or am privy to.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Please no murdering in game.  We are a civilized society let's keep it that way.  I continue my hope that IS will see the light and not create an uncivilized game.

Sieges, battlegrounds, declared guild wars, caravans and other consensual pvp are fine.  But open world/non-consensual pvp is nothing short of murder.

At the very least they should take another look at having the option of consensual and non-consensual pvp servers.  Us more civilized folk would show up by the thousands.  There are just so many other aspect of this game that will attract many players but non-consensual pvp alone is a deal killer for them and me.
  • Options
    Jubilum said:
    Please no murdering in game.  We are a civilized society let's keep it that way.  I continue my hope that IS will see the light and not create an uncivilized game.

Sieges, battlegrounds, declared guild wars, caravans and other consensual pvp are fine.  But open world/non-consensual pvp is nothing short of murder.

At the very least they should take another look at having the option of consensual and non-consensual pvp servers.  Us more civilized folk would show up by the thousands.
    The occasional murder is fine as long as they are justly punished. 
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I think liberal PvP is a more engaging experience and a unique experience. I would actually prefer there be no battlegrounds, just arenas for organized small teams. A unique thing only mmos can do is have the danger of both the world and the players in it. No game has npcs that just randomly wander into a lower level zone just to try and prey on weaker entities. You can't script the amazing human made interactions that occur when freeform pvp is allowed. Sure, some hate it, but I encourage them to actually embrace the survival of the fittist aspect. Its an entire layer that only mmos can have. I remember being corpse camped by some alliance rogue in stranglethorn, then a group of high level hordes did a purging and I could quest again. No other game can give me that kind of awe as I watched those horde pvpers clear out any alliance solo gankers around. I thought "man, I can't wait till im that level and can do the same." That moment is the moment I knew mmos are my favorite game type.
  • Options
    @Yuuroz check out Ashes of Creation - Known Information has a lot of info condensed in one area. A big part of this game is to be PvP witha twist which they like to cal PvX. It hink you will end up being pleased.

Viva La PVP not sure if that would equate right as i am not from Brazil :)

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Jubilum said:
    Us more civilized folk ...

Yeah by claiming a part of community being uncivilized, you are showing yourself in the very brightest light.

Keep going, you're doing fine.
  • Options
    Well, I only know one thing, if the pvp focus is in the open world as in black desert I foresee the game die quickly :(
  • Options
    Dorje said:
    @Yuuroz check out Ashes of Creation - Known Information has a lot of info condensed in one area. A big part of this game is to be PvP witha twist which they like to cal PvX. It hink you will end up being pleased.

Thanks for information Friend!!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Yuuroz said:
    Dorje said:

Thanks for information Friend!!

@Yuuroz Sure thing friend, it's what communities do. :)

• Options
    Dorje said:

Thanks <3
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    Jubilum said:

Yeah by claiming a part of community being uncivilized, you are showing yourself in the very brightest light.

Last I checked Murder is indeed an uncivilized activity.
  • Options
    Jubilum said:
    Gothix said:
    Jubilum said:

And yet every civilisation has had it.  

Maybe it's the foundation on which all other forms of civilisation are based?  

• Options
    Civilization is built on theft and murder disguised as war.

• Options
    Jubilum said:

This is a game, why are you forcing everyone to be civilized and how to you think forcing people to be civil is actual civility? Let there be evil so there can be good.

There is also your fun use of the word "murder" where you try to exploit it's meaning in the real world to add weight to your argument on a game mechanic. A player being killed in a video game gives them a penalty and forces them to re-spawn somewhere else. It doesn't remove them from existence and destroy any possibility of them having a future. 

lastly there is the fact that this is a pvx game. The risk of being attacked by other players is something you sign up to when you play this game. To my knowledge no one is being forced play this game. If they can't stand the idea of being attacked by a player while they are attacking a monster then maybe they need to go log off.
  • Options
    Jubilum said:

This is a game, why are you forcing everyone to be civilized and how to you think forcing people to be civil is actual civility? Let there be evil so there can be good.

There is also your fun use of the word "murder" where you try to exploit it's meaning in the real world to add weight to your argument on a game mechanic. A player being killed in a video game gives them a penalty and forces them to re-spawn somewhere else. It doesn't remove them from existence and destroy any possibility of them having a future. 

lastly there is the fact that this is a pvx game. The risk of being attacked by other players is something you sign up to when you play this game. To my knowledge no one is being forced play this game. If they can't stand the idea of being attacked by a player while they are attacking a monster then maybe they need to go log off.
    They have stated over and over you can play any way you like, you will just pay what they feel is an appropriate penalty for what they consider anti-social actions that impact others.

"Murder, being a murderer, and going on a murder-spree" are all direct quotes from Steven. So players using it in this context is more than valid since the big boss in charge has decided that for his game vision, if you are attacking people who don't fight back it is murder.

The "if you don't like it, gtfo" argument does seem to be the last gasp quip from a certain set of people here. People leave games for various reasons all the time. I fully expect when you find the corruption mechanics too harsh and not to your liking, that you take your own advice and gtfo.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @ Everyone, Noone and especially Me.

This game has Both Civilized and Uncivilized aspects to it.

Just as in real life, being closer to civilization often comes with some governing rules both in real life and in game where murdering someone can come with severe consistences as such actions are difficult to go noticed. This is where bounty hunter options come into play, which I think is brilliant and can't wait to see it.

When you start veering away from civilization things can get well un-governed where it goes along the lines of Survival of the Fittest. This is something true of real life when stepping into vast wilderness or oceans that could be filled full of Pirates. Areas it might not be a bad Idea to have some friends around with you, safety in numbers. These are the PVP areas where everyone is at least flagged as Combatant.

So here we have a game that is not jst PVP or just PVE but a myriad of blends in between. I would think both sides would be happy that a prat of what they want is being represented. 

If you like PVE or PVP mainly this game gives you the option to play the way you want but also gives people the ability to play the way they want as well. I'm not sure why a few people feel that the game should be just PVE or just PVP. People want to play the way they want well they should allow others what they want as well.

I will say that at first, I had my slight doubts, before I truly understood the system, well I should say better understood as I am still learning and I am sure the system will keep evolving. I was worried that Non-Combatants could get harassed and that they should maybe have the least penalties of XP loss. You can see my post, Proposal for slight change in the PVP Flagging System ~ (determined unnecessary) . But as people explained things to me and I read more and really thought out the scenarios the system is quite sound and maybe perfect just the way it is, on paper. It will have to be tested through Alpha. there is no way to truly know till we have a chance to play, but meanwhile check out some of the links in my signature. Lot's of nicely laid out info made by your fellow peers in the community.

This is a game that takes on the challenge of trying to bring the best of PVE and PVP, with a system that might just allow both to coexist in a way that it hasn't in any other game.

We may all have our view points well so do other people. We should discuss and debate and maybe refrain from arguments with drama. We all have a right to be here.

Maybe we should focus on offering suggestions on how to make aspects of the game we want better instead of trying to remove aspects of the game others may want.

Cheers Folks. Now who want's some Honey Mead or a Hug. 

• Options
    I'm not a PVP player in MMOs but I'd like to see PVP be one of the focuses of the game, it's good for building a userbase and boosting the in game economy. I think it'll be a main focus because of that, it would be stupid not to have an MMO where there is no PVP or there is bad PVP.
  • Options
    There seems to be a bit of misconception on my pvp view.  I am in no way advicating NO PVP.  Consensual/planned pvp is a good thing.  Non-consensual (murder) is not acceptable.  The only way to control it is not to allow the mechanic.  Developers have tried to control it IS is calling it "coruption", it wont work it never has and never will. There are too many Griefers/gankers out there with a main purpose of finding a way to game the system that allows them kill another player anytime without punishment.  This is what they do.  And there is no way to stop them, if targeting and shoot another player is an available mechanic the game will just become a gank fest.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Jubilum said:
    There seems to be a bit of misconception on my pvp view.  I am in no way advicating NO PVP.  Consensual/planned pvp is a good thing.  Non-consensual (murder) is not acceptable.  The only way to control it is not to allow the mechanic.  Developers have tried to control it IS is calling it "coruption", it wont work it never has and never will. There are too many Griefers/gankers out there with a main purpose of finding a way to game the system that allows them kill another player anytime without punishment.  This is what they do.  And there is no way to stop them, if targeting and shoot another player is an available mechanic the game will just become a gank fest.

But corruption is a punishment? 

I think you're being a little overdramatic, open world PvP works. 
    You'll be safe 95% of the time, if that 5% is to much for you that's fine but it doesn't make the game a gank box. 

• Options
    edited November 2017
    They have stated over and over you can play any way you like, you will just pay what they feel is an appropriate penalty for what they consider anti-social actions that impact others.

"Murder, being a murderer, and going on a murder-spree" are all direct quotes from Steven. So players using it in this context is more than valid since the big boss in charge has decided that for his game vision, if you are attacking people who don't fight back it is murder.

The "if you don't like it, gtfo" argument does seem to be the last gasp quip from a certain set of people here. People leave games for various reasons all the time. I fully expect when you find the corruption mechanics too harsh and not to your liking, that you take your own advice and gtfo.
    I don't think we are in disagreement with you first paragraph.

I still feel like there is a different context. As you said, Steven has defined what he considers murder and said he wants to deter that activity. This is of course subjective but what i quoted "Last I checked Murder is indeed an uncivilized activity." feels like he is implying a real world context here. I'm sorry if i straw-maned here but that is the vibe i got. 

The gtfo argument isn't what i was going for here. I know i walked a fine line but i was trying to say a game is optional and something you can walk away from as opposed to real life. The pvp mechanic is something you should know of before you enter the game so it shouldn't be a surprise. You shouldn't invest a bunch of time into the game and then a month in, get surprised by the fact there is pvp.

One question: are you like Dygz and completely detest pvp or do you argue with gothix too much? 

• Options
    Jubilum said:
    The mechanic is very similar to what was in lineage 2 and Steven liked how it worked. The idea of the mechanic is to deter pvp not completely prevent it from happening. There will be griefers with or without a pvp mechanic. As you said, there are people who will try to exploit mechanics to make others life miserable and they don't necessarily need to attack you to do that.
  • Options
    It would be cool with PvP.
    Maybe there could be something like clan wars too then.
  • Options
    Jubilum said:
    In literally every world PVP game ever made, EVER made the population of griefers were small.  Every person that states this has never actually played in a game that is a literal gankfest (some old UO players will remember server wars when they would tell everyone they would be dropping servers to repair and run maintenance and there would be an all out murder fest in brit graveyard...good times).

There is a huge difference between pk players and griefers.   Griefers are the ones you are talking about, and sorry to tell you but most often they arent the reds you are so worried about.  Will there be red griefers?  yup... but will they be in such abundance like you seem to think?  Nope.  For the simple fact the way we currently understand corruption comes with some inherent stop gaps that are pretty severe.  

A red griefer with high corruption will have bounty hunters from military nodes hunting them at all times, blue guilds hunting (the majority in every game will be blue or notoriety pks) them at all times, reduced stat load from corruption (which honestly should be reduced but well have to wait and see on this one in alpha/beta) and finally the risk of loss of items.

What are you so worried about again?
  • Options
    I'm worried about getting killed while I'm just out minding my own business.  I'm not even close to agreeing that this corruption system will in any way discourage "PK'ers" from ruining my game time.  Not sure what games you have been playing but every game I have played that allowed open world pvp has been a gank fest. 
  • Options
    Yuuroz said:
    So, I'm not good at English, I'm from Brazil, but I'd like to say, that you need to focus a lot on pvp too, because I can not see any good enough games in this besides world of warcraft, but wow it's old, but pvp is the best, so in my opinion you have to leave AoC it more dynamic, where a group is formed, and each one needs to do its job, both to heal, deal damage, and controls (stuns, sleep etc). Sorry for the mistakes!

I agree with you! And I do belive PVP will be really important in AoC.