Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

*New Class Names*

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018

From the above list, I agree with most of the name choices. Some I would argue could afford a change would be:

Reaper/Mercenary - Cool name, doesn't fit much with a summoner. I think you could use Reaper instead of Mercenary for Fighter/Rogue. Mercenary is a little weird because it dictates a certain lifestyle/background for the character that someone might not inherently want. It's also more like a job than a class. Mages can make pretty good mercenaries too. Instead of Reaper for Summoner/Fighter, perhaps Maelstrom would work. Elemental/spiritual summons that are supported by a Fighter-augmented Summoner. Self-buffs designed for burst damage at close range would make this a cohesive class that I'd totally be down to play.

Tamer/Beastmaster - swap their positions on the chart. IMO it fits better.

Sentry - That's more of a job than a class, and not a particularly glorious or impressive job at that. I picture Tank/Ranger as the guy who leads an expedition through unknown wilderness, taking the lead and making a path for others. As such, I think a good name would be Trailblazer.

Siren - Not bad, but implies female pretty heavily. I think a good substitution would be Cantor.

Warsinger/Commander/Herald/Troubadour - Commander indicates that the Tank buffs allies, which you wouldn't necessarily want as a Tank primary class. Tank primary should probably have damage mitigation/healing buffs, along with a few extra party boons in the background. Commander, like Sentry, is also more of a job than a class. I dislike Warsinger, so I've done some rearranging of roles to accommodate those potential changes.

Warsinger (Bard/Tank) -> Herald
    Commander (Tank/Bard) -> Cymbal
    Herald (Fighter/Bard) -> Troubadour
    Troubadour (Bard/Fighter) -> Virtuoso

Feel free to question/disagree with any of my suggestions   :smile:

- Sikuba
  • Options
    Glad to know people are using the class list I made. If you would like updated versions/variants please let me know!

• Options
    Someone with a lot of time (not me) should gather all these great ideas and open up 64 Polls so everyone can vote on every idea in this discussion.
  • Options
    -Druid(Ranger/Cleric)
    I don't see this as a druid. Druids from Dungeons and Dragons on through the MMOs do not use bows. When I see ranger I'm thinking bow/dual wield. We've always been healers/support with nature/elemental magic along with some shapechanging or animal companions. I find it hard to see a druid with dual scimitars and a longbow.
  • Options
    Talonis said:
    -Druid(Ranger/Cleric)
    I don't see this as a druid. Druids from Dungeons and Dragons on through the MMOs do not use bows. When I see ranger I'm thinking bow/dual wield. We've always been healers/support with nature/elemental magic along with some shapechanging or animal companions. I find it hard to see a druid with dual scimitars and a longbow.
    I think a Cleric/Ranger would fit druid way better ;D
  • Options
    Damokles said:
    Talonis said:
    -Druid(Ranger/Cleric)
    I think a Cleric/Ranger would fit druid way better ;D

Talonis said:
    -Druid(Ranger/Cleric) 
    It makes more sense. Cleric + ranger would just make cleric spells nature theme
  • Options
    I see Ranger as the only nature based class on the list from which to merge with so I'll agree that would give us the nature spells we're looking for. My issue is with the weapon selection. If you selected those two to become a druid I feel you'd have to drop the bow and take on a new, non fighter weapon set. Druids are not hunters (unless your in some shapeshifted form). Druids in all fantasy games since the beginning have strived to become one with nature, not hunt and dominate that realm. Honestly I think the name they have chosen for the ranger/cleric mix now, protector (or IMO Warden), is a better fit for a nature warrior with healing. Personally I think the Cleric/Summoner or Cleric/mage would be a better fit for the druid due to their past abilities to summon animal companions, summon entangling roots, and their affinity for elemental magic.

Anyway, these are my opinions. I value both of your insights too but as an old D&D druid player (and every MMO since EQ that had them) I have to respectfully disagree.
  • Options
    Talonis said:
    I see Ranger as the only nature based class on the list from which to merge with so I'll agree that would give us the nature spells we're looking for. My issue is with the weapon selection. If you selected those two to become a druid I feel you'd have to drop the bow and take on a new, non fighter weapon set. Druids are not hunters (unless your in some shapeshifted form). Druids in all fantasy games since the beginning have strived to become one with nature, not hunt and dominate that realm. Honestly I think the name they have chosen for the ranger/cleric mix now, protector (or IMO Warden), is a better fit for a nature warrior with healing. Personally I think the Cleric/Summoner or Cleric/mage would be a better fit for the druid due to their past abilities to summon animal companions, summon entangling roots, and their affinity for elemental magic.

Anyway, these are my opinions. I value both of your insights too but as an old D&D druid player (and every MMO since EQ that had them) I have to respectfully disagree.
    Well if we all agree that Druid should be Cleric/Ranger, then the skillset should be pretty much the same as the Cleric one. The only thing that changes in the class combination is how the abilities are augmented. They dont get new abilities, the skills "mutate". And every class is able to equip every weapon ;D.
    Currently the Cleric doesnt need any weapon to use his skills, and he has a medium armor compability. 
    And Ranger doesnt mean dominating the forrest. I understand it more in the direction of protecting the forrest and wildlife, so that should fit pretty good woth druid ;D.

Current naming of classcombinations:
    Cleric/Ranger = Protector(should be Druid in my opinion)
    Ranger/Cleric = Soulbow
    Cleric/Summoner = Shaman
  • Options
    Damokles said:
    Talonis said:

Well if we all agree that Druid should be Cleric/Ranger, then the skillset should be pretty much the same as the Cleric one. The only thing that changes in the class combination is how the abilities are augmented. They dont get new abilities, the skills "mutate". And every class is able to equip every weapon ;D.
    Currently the Cleric doesnt need any weapon to use his skills, and he has a medium armor compability. 
    And Ranger doesnt mean dominating the forrest. I understand it more in the direction of protecting the forrest and wildlife, so that should fit pretty good woth druid ;D.

Current naming of classcombinations:
    Cleric/Ranger = Protector(should be Druid in my opinion)
    Ranger/Cleric = Soulbow
    Cleric/Summoner = Shaman

Well thanks for explaining that regarding the classes and the morphing. Now I see why your hoping the nature essence of the ranger changes the cleric abilities to more druid like ones. Very interesting. I'm not too sure on the all weapons for all classes but it will definitely be a different approach than most. Just knowing I wouldn't have to use a bow on a class name druid (if it was changed) is fine for me. I prefer the caster type with a staff myself.

As far as ranger I've always known the ranger to be the woodland hunter out roaming the edge of civilization protecting the common folks from beasts that could potentially threaten them. I never really saw them as protectors of wildlife or woodlands like a druid but there can always be variations and as an Rper I can work with that.
  • Options
    I can't +1 this enough I like pretty much all the thematic shifts suggested.
  • Options
    Bard + Fighter should be Dirge
    Tank should be renamed Guardian and Guardian + Guardian should be Juggernaut (which is Tank + Tank) 
    Fighter + Mage/summoner should be Zealot or Acolyte 
    Cleric + Ranger should be Scion
    Mage + Tank should be Protector 

I think everything else looks pretty good. Spellsword and Bladecaller are very basic imo. In fact the default Fighter and Mage classes are so basic sounding I wouldn't even want to try them. 
  • Options
    Talonis said:
    -Druid(Ranger/Cleric)
    This is the reasoning behind why I picked Ranger/Cleric for Druid. :- -
    This was copied from the original post I made with all my reasoning below it..

Druid(Ranger/Cleric) - 
    Alot of people, me also, were a little disappointed and surprised there was no Druid class in this list. A nature based attacker with healing abilities(again im making assumptions here about heals) goes well with the name Druid. Some might say Cleric/Ranger was/is a better option which comes down to personal opinion. Do you see Druids more as Heals first then some damage abilities or a Dps'er with heals?

So yes, Cleric/Ranger fits as well, it just comes down to personal preference whether you think Druid should be more heals focused or more Dps focused. Which touches on everything you said in your posts mate.
    Also, about your weapons argument, in AoC all classes can use all weapons, so if you dont want to use a bow dont use one.
  • Options
    I wanted to thank everyone for their input and ideas into class names, but what Im seeing alot of is people saying combination X should be named Z, but you people dont give any reasoning behind it except for a tiny few people.
    IF you want to suggest a different class name for a class combination, give your reasons to why it should be, instead of just saying it should be named X without any reason why.

Keep the ideas and discussion going.
  • Options
    Strykerz said:
    I wanted to thank everyone for their input and ideas into class names, but what Im seeing alot of is people saying combination X should be named Z, but you people dont give any reasoning behind it except for a tiny few people.
    IF you want to suggest a different class name for a class combination, give your reasons to why it should be, instead of just saying it should be named X without any reason why.

Keep the ideas and discussion going.
    Bard + Fighter should be Dirge = A funeral song typically a song meant for the dead. A fighters goal is to be victorious and take on any challengers. Fighting them should feel like your death March.
    Tank should be renamed Guardian and Guardian + Guardian should be Juggernaut (which is Tank + Tank) 
    Fighter + Mage/summoner should be Zealot or Acolyte = Acolyte are often associated with religious ceremonies, but instead of religion they're attendants of highest magical orders. Their physical protectors, their enforcers and a Zealot is a fanatic who is obsessed with the power that's commanded by them making them loyal attendants to that power.
    Cleric + Ranger should be Scion = This is a play on words as a Scion is both a descendant of someone noble and relates to botany. Taking the high order of the church and relating it to nature you get Scion.
    Mage + Tank should be Protector = This one is more self explanatory. 
  • Options
    Bard + Fighter should be Dirge = A funeral song typically a song meant for the dead. A fighters goal is to be victorious and take on any challengers. Fighting them should feel like your death March.
    Fighter + Mage/summoner should be Zealot or Acolyte = Acolyte are often associated with religious ceremonies, but instead of religion they're attendants of highest magical orders. Their physical protectors, their enforcers and a Zealot is a fanatic who is obsessed with the power that's commanded by them making them loyal attendants to that power.
    Cleric + Ranger should be Scion = This is a play on words as a Scion is both a descendant of someone noble and relates to botany. Taking the high order of the church and relating it to nature you get Scion.
    Mage + Tank should be Protector = This one is more self explanatory. 
    Why do you think that Spellsword doesnt fit the Fighter/Mage combo? It is in my opinion one of the most fitting ones ;D Zealot would be more fitting Mage/Cleric imo (it is fitting the whole religious fanatik theme).

I think that Bard/Fighter or Fighter/Bard should be gladiator. Their only purpose to fight in the arena is to entertaine people.

And im still fighting for druid as the class for Cleric/ranger (but it depends on what you associate more with druid: Healer or dps) ;D But I think that Ranger/Cleric would fit scion a bit better 

And I always liked the Spellstone classname the most xD. It just sounds like someone who just doesnt give a fk about anything that the enemy throws at him.
  • Options
    Because Mage has the shittiest names. They literally just put Spell in front of everything. Spellshield, Spellsword, Spellhunter, SPELLMANCER?! Those are awfully lazy. 

All the names that have just repeating terms are lazy. Fighter uses the terms Sword and Blade a total of 5/8 classes and that's just going Fighter as the primary class, as the secondary class there's more. I guess I won't be using a Hammer with those classes right? Then Mage/Tank and Tank/Mage is Spellshield and Spellstone? There are so many more creative names out there, even more than ones I suggested. The Fighter and Mage class easily have the worst names. The terms Spell, Blade and sword are all overly used. 12 times those are used between Fighter and Mage...in fact those 2 classes are the only ones that have those in their names. The names Spell, Blade and Sword don't appear in any other class that doesn't have Fighter or Mage in them. 

I'm honestly ok with every other classes name but so many of the Fighter and Mage names are so basic it honestly makes me not want to play them. The primary Mage Class names are good but the secondary Mage class names are lousy and vis versa for the Fighter. Their primary class names are lousy while their secondary class names better.
  • Options
    Because Mage has the shittiest names. They literally just put Spell in front of everything. Spellshield, Spellsword, Spellhunter, SPELLMANCER?! Those are awfully lazy. 
    You are wrong there xD. Most of the names you talked about are the combinations where the mage is in second position. So they are not really MAGE class names. The only one where mage is the start is Spellhunter. 
    You cant confuse the mage classnames with the classnames where another class(like Tank or rogue) is merged with mage elements. 
  • Options
    Damokles said:
    You are wrong there xD. Most of the names you talked about are the combinations where the mage is in second position. So they are not really MAGE class names. The only one where mage is the start is Spellhunter. 
    You cant confuse the mage classnames with the classnames where another class(like Tank or rogue) is merged with mage elements. 
    I was including it. Mage as the starting class or secondary class the naming convention for those 2 classes aren't good. Maybe they just ran out of names but I just don't believe it. Imagine going into a game with less classes and the mages in the game are called spellsword, spell shield, spellmancer etc. If those were the names in a game with 12 classes it'll be laughable so I don't see how they'll acceptable now. Because there's 64? Don't drop the quality in names because there's that many. If you can't keep up the quality in the names then how do you keep up the quality of classes
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    McKnightrider said:
    Mage as the starting class or secondary class the naming convention for those 2 classes aren't good. Maybe they just ran out of names but I just don't believe it. Imagine going into a game with less classes and the mages in the game are called spellsword, spell shield, spellmancer etc.
    Spellsword is the diamond in the rough. 

Take out all those other generic names and keep this one. The name is a joke/play on words, and is also a fitting description. It is perfect.

The only reason you don't like it is the other names... so fix the other names.
  • Options
    On the contrary I like all the new names in the post that were submitted. Just Spellsword doesn't do it for me. Maybe if it was the only one called that, but when there's so many spell this, spell that or sword and blade names. Even a simple name like Magic Knight is better than Spellsword imo. Or Arch Knight. Hell even Spell Knight sounds better than Spell Sword....what if I don't want to use swords as a Spellsword, after all the default Fighter + Fighter is Weapon Master? That indicates fighters are well verse in multiple weapons
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Shaze said:
    Glad to know people are using the class list I made. If you would like updated versions/variants please let me know!

@Shaze Ye, 100% mate. Full credit goes to you for the format. I just "borrowed" it from Discord and changed the names I saw fit . :p
  • Options
    I like the originals a lot more overall. Just my opinion. 
  • Options
    Maybe if it was the only one called that, but when there's so many spell this, spell that or sword and blade names. 

That's literally what I'm saying. The other generic spell/blade/sword/etc names make Spellsword feel just as generic, but it it is the only one of those that makes sense in and of itself and it also has some character. If those other generic names weren't there this one would be fantastic.

what if I don't want to use swords as a Spellsword, after all the default Fighter + Fighter is Weapon Master? That indicates fighters are well verse in multiple weapons 

Not all sellswords use swords either.

• Options
    Ravnodaus said:
    Maybe if it was the only one called that, but when there's so many spell this, spell that or sword and blade names. 

That's literally what I'm saying. The other generic spell/blade/sword/etc names make Spellsword feel just as generic, but it it is the only one of those that makes sense in and of itself and it also has some character. If those other generic names weren't there this one would be fantastic.

what if I don't want to use swords as a Spellsword, after all the default Fighter + Fighter is Weapon Master? That indicates fighters are well verse in multiple weapons 

Not all sellswords use swords either.

Spellsword = not using swords ? I mean we might aswell have a spellaxe and spellspear .w. 

Seriously though those names might go through some changes in the future 'w'
  • Options
    Just pick the class you like and play it, is that so hard?
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Just pick the class you like and play it, is that so hard?
    If a class has a stupid name I'd be less likely to play it. You know, like if character creation was poor, or gear looked bad or quite literally anything else that came off as bad may be off putting. 
  • Options
    @Ravnodaus

I'd be ok with Spell Knight. Or Magic Knight.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    If a class has a stupid name I'd be less likely to play it. 
    You shouldnt care what the name is in my opinion. Ofcourse it would be awesome if it sounds good but it shouldnt influence your class choice. 
    I mean... do I want to play a mermaid? No. Am I prepared to recieve jokes about me being a siren? Yes. Do I care? No, because I will be a singing tank and I am gonna laugh in the faces of my enemies!
  • Options
    Alright I went through and created my interpretation of the class names. I used a combination of TC's updated, some of the original and mine.

I highlighted all the ones I added in as Blue. I'll start down the line why I went that route for that name

Fighter:
    Fighter + Mage: Arcane Warrior. I believe the Fighter class embodies that of a warrior. A master of the Arcane and a fighter combine the two arts into one for an Arcane Warrior

Fighter + Cleric:
    Crusader: These were swapped with each other and like you mentioned they're interchangeable with Templar.

Fighter + Bard:
    Gladiator: I liked Dirge here but I put that elsewhere. Like someone mentioned before, Gladiators are entertainers as well as master combatants. It's fitting for a Fighter + Bard

Tank ==> Guardian!
    So I just don't see Tank as a class here. I've renamed the base class to Guardian

Guardian + Rogue:
    Vanquisher: I feel like rogues revolve around putting down their foes. When you need someone who can take as much damage as they can dish out, Vanquisher fits well here.

Rogue

Rogue + Guardian: Infiltrator: With the Rogue primary class a greater focus on stealth and infiltration leads to this name, and once they're in they become a force to be reckoned with.

Rogue + Mage: Arcane Assassin: Pure....literation! It just roles off the tongue. It's such a great sounding name the fact that it wasn't thought of by Intrepid is disappointing.

Ranger

Ranger + Cleric: Mystic: Similar to a Druid but the ranger focuses more on the mystic arts for combat than healing.

Ranger + Bard: Troubadour: Troubadour's were lyrical poets who commanded status and as a bonus if you're female you would be renamed Trobairitz since that's the female version of a Troubadour!

Mage

Mage + Guardian: Myrmidon: You've probably heard this when describing  a tank class. The definition of it is; a follower or subordinate of a powerful person, typically one who is unscrupulous or carries out orders unquestioningly. That to me is the very definition of a magical user who has a loyal and strong follower

Summoner

Summoner + Fighter: 
    Animist: I went with this as someone who animates inanimate objects like weapons. Summoner to them weapons to fight with or fight for them.

Summoner + Mage: Arch Magus: I was extremely disappointed with Intrepid's...spellmancer. That literally just a mage. Magus refers to a magical user but I think back to old Chrono Trigger with the main villain Magus being a power caster of so many spells and the fact that he's summoning Lavos 

Cleric

Cleric + Cleric: I changed this up to Archon. High Priest seems too masculine, unless female cleric + cleric is a High Priestess but Archon. Coming from the Greek word for ruler it describes a ruler over the holy arts imo.

Bard:

Bard + Fighter: Dirge: A Dirge is a funeral song or march and I just picture a Dirge marching towards battle playing these intimidating songs of death as whoever faces this warrior is going to face someone of great skill in combat.

Bard + Guardian: Maestro: Maestro...if you'd please. The Maestro is the conductor of orchestra's somewhat a leader if you would and that's how I see Guardians. Leading their party and going head first into everything. 

Bard + Mage: Virtuoso:  A skilled musician of artistic talent. I feel mages in themselves are artist and combining the two you get someone both extremely skilled at music and magical arts.

Bard + Summoner: illusionist: Coercing your opponents and lulling them to a false reality. An illusionist focus on taking control over their opponents and creating illusions of grandeur as they manipulate reality.
  • Options
    Alright I went through and created my interpretation of the class names. I used a combination of TC's updated, some of the original and mine.

I highlighted all the ones I added in as Blue. I'll start down the line why I went that route for that name

Fighter:
    Fighter + Mage: Arcane Warrior. I believe the Fighter class embodies that of a warrior. A master of the Arcane and a fighter combine the two arts into one for an Arcane Warrior

Fighter + Cleric:
    Crusader: These were swapped with each other and like you mentioned they're interchangeable with Templar.

Fighter + Bard:
    Gladiator: I liked Dirge here but I put that elsewhere. Like someone mentioned before, Gladiators are entertainers as well as master combatants. It's fitting for a Fighter + Bard

Tank ==> Guardian!
    So I just don't see Tank as a class here. I've renamed the base class to Guardian

Guardian + Rogue:
    Vanquisher: I feel like rogues revolve around putting down their foes. When you need someone who can take as much damage as they can dish out, Vanquisher fits well here.

Rogue

Rogue + Guardian: Infiltrator: With the Rogue primary class a greater focus on stealth and infiltration leads to this name, and once they're in they become a force to be reckoned with.

Rogue + Mage: Arcane Assassin: Pure....literation! It just roles off the tongue. It's such a great sounding name the fact that it wasn't thought of by Intrepid is disappointing.

Ranger

Ranger + Cleric: Mystic: Similar to a Druid but the ranger focuses more on the mystic arts for combat than healing.

Ranger + Bard: Troubadour: Troubadour's were lyrical poets who commanded status and as a bonus if you're female you would be renamed Trobairitz since that's the female version of a Troubadour!

Mage

Mage + Guardian: Myrmidon: You've probably heard this when describing  a tank class. The definition of it is; a follower or subordinate of a powerful person, typically one who is unscrupulous or carries out orders unquestioningly. That to me is the very definition of a magical user who has a loyal and strong follower

Summoner

Summoner + Fighter: 
    Animist: I went with this as someone who animates inanimate objects like weapons. Summoner to them weapons to fight with or fight for them.

Summoner + Mage: Arch Magus: I was extremely disappointed with Intrepid's...spellmancer. That literally just a mage. Magus refers to a magical user but I think back to old Chrono Trigger with the main villain Magus being a power caster of so many spells and the fact that he's summoning Lavos 

Cleric

Cleric + Cleric: I changed this up to Archon. High Priest seems too masculine, unless female cleric + cleric is a High Priestess but Archon. Coming from the Greek word for ruler it describes a ruler over the holy arts imo.

Bard:

Bard + Fighter: Dirge: A Dirge is a funeral song or march and I just picture a Dirge marching towards battle playing these intimidating songs of death as whoever faces this warrior is going to face someone of great skill in combat.

Bard + Guardian: Maestro: Maestro...if you'd please. The Maestro is the conductor of orchestra's somewhat a leader if you would and that's how I see Guardians. Leading their party and going head first into everything. 

Bard + Mage: Virtuoso:  A skilled musician of artistic talent. I feel mages in themselves are artist and combining the two you get someone both extremely skilled at music and magical arts.

Bard + Summoner: illusionist: Coercing your opponents and lulling them to a false reality. An illusionist focus on taking control over their opponents and creating illusions of grandeur as they manipulate reality.
    These are pretty good