Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Female Representation Pitfalls (AKA "The Chainmail Bikini")

Comments

• T-Elf said:
    Close, but not quite like that, but tied around his hips or waist.  More just speedo is really my equivalent of a bottom part of a bikini.  
    You mean something like this. This picture has a belt.
    Related image

• Nefelia said:
    Atama said:

If there is no realistic armor, then yes, they are forcing me to wear a chainmail bikini.
    Given the many videos and screenshot we have seen featuring realistic armour within AoC, why is this even an issue at this point? The action combat reveal showed nothing but conservative full-body armour (though I may have seen bare calves from time to time), so obviously there will be plenty of choice within that range.

If you don't want to wear a chain bikini, do not wear a chain bikini. Wear one of the many other options that will be available.
    I was responding to the suggestion that there is no need for realistic armor.  I wasn’t complaining about the gear we’re actually going to have in the game.  What we are getting looks good to me from what I’ve seen.

Again, for people taking me out of context and arguing against a straw man...  The post I replied to said that since we have magic we don’t need realistic armor.  My reply was that we still need it because I don’t want to wear unrealistic armor.  For those who say “You don’t have to if you don’t want to,” again I was responding to the suggestion (implied or otherwise) that it would be fine to not have realistic armor, in which case no, I wouldn’t have the choice.

Hopefully this is clear.  I was responding to the silly and/or poorly-communicated suggestion that the game could consist entirely of magical swimwear.  (We already have that in TERA Online, we don’t need that here, or sunglasses/googly eyes/giant ducks with headphones/tiny race cars...)
  • T-Elf said:
    Close, but not quite like that, but tied around his hips or waist.  More just speedo is really my equivalent of a bottom part of a bikini.  
    You mean something like this. This picture has a belt.
    Related image

Have you never seen a speedo?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    T-Elf said:
    Have you never seen a speedo?
    Yes I have, they are a product invented in my country, they have been around for over 100 years, unlike the picture.
  • So would everyone prefer an Option for Illusion stones that you can attach to your armor that allows it to take on any appearance you like?
    Say the illusion stones were crafted and could hold 1 outfits worth of illusions and you could wear any armor you wanted but you would only see the illusion the stone projected?
  • I feel like, given how much influence the players have on the world, this will be a game with the potential to evolve immersion, lore, and culture over time. From that perspective, it would be really cool to see some sort of system where the initial gear was all about function over fashion and we see a lot of full coverage, practical armors. But then, to have a system (possibly crafting) to evolve the style of armor and add options in a wide range of styles from the heavy full-plate to the half-skirt and chain bikini top. It would, admittedly, be a difficult thing to do, but it would be interesting.

If I had to pick a style, I'd personally prefer something realistic over something 'sexy', but I'm actually perfectly happy with either.

In general though, I like people to have options, whether that's multiple 'armor sets' that have the same stats or 'illusion stones' or some other system.

The one thing that is important to me, in the realm of fashion, is the ability to hide certain armor pieces/slots. There are very few games where I don't feel like I'm missing something if I don't have the option to hide my helm, and it can also be a nice option for shoulder and glove items, particularly for casters.
  • I feel like, given how much influence the players have on the world, this will be a game with the potential to evolve immersion, lore, and culture over time. From that perspective, it would be really cool to see some sort of system where the initial gear was all about function over fashion and we see a lot of full coverage, practical armors. But then, to have a system (possibly crafting) to evolve the style of armor and add options in a wide range of styles from the heavy full-plate to the half-skirt and chain bikini top. It would, admittedly, be a difficult thing to do, but it would be interesting.

If I had to pick a style, I'd personally prefer something realistic over something 'sexy', but I'm actually perfectly happy with either.

In general though, I like people to have options, whether that's multiple 'armor sets' that have the same stats or 'illusion stones' or some other system.

The one thing that is important to me, in the realm of fashion, is the ability to hide certain armor pieces/slots. There are very few games where I don't feel like I'm missing something if I don't have the option to hide my helm, and it can also be a nice option for shoulder and glove items, particularly for casters.
    Helmet hiding was confirmed as far as I know, it's a very important fashion option >.<
  • I want to be able to look like this

• Santy182 said:
    I want to be able to look like this

If the shield works as a solid object deflecting anything instead of just giving you a bonus of defense and all of that bullshit then I am sure than you could do that without having a breastplate , now since this AoC is a mmorpg more for fantasy medieval instead of more irl I would still recommend a breastplate xD or the option to be able to hide it.

Btw the spartans themselves did not go to the war naked , they where heavily armored with bronze breastplates.
  • They've also said they don't want too much realism in the armor, because that would make it very boring and bland. I agree with this sentiment, I don't want outfit/armor skins that are too realistic, because "function over form" lends itself to being very dull, with everyone looking the same. It should be up to the player what they wear, it's not real life, it's a game, and it's fantasy. I can understand keeping heavy armor more on the "conservative" side of things, but when it comes to light or medium armor which provide no realistic form of protection in the first place, I think that should be open to being more "skimpy" in design sometimes.

Skimpy armor is not something only men are interested in equipping female characters with, I like my characters to be sexy sometimes, depending on what I am playing, it's all about creating a visual representation of the type of personality I envision for a character, and that is what is immersive to me, visually. A world where everyone is dressed very conservatively and uniformly is as immersion breaking to me as a game where everything is skimpy. There should be a variety of options for all tastes and preferences.
  • Tatiana said:
    They've also said they don't want too much realism in the armor, because that would make it very boring and bland. I agree with this sentiment, I don't want outfit/armor skins that are too realistic, because "function over form" lends itself to being very dull, with everyone looking the same. It should be up to the player what they wear, it's not real life, it's a game, and it's fantasy. I can understand keeping heavy armor more on the "conservative" side of things, but when it comes to light or medium armor which provide no realistic form of protection in the first place, I think that should be open to being more "skimpy" in design sometimes.

Skimpy armor is not something only men are interested in equipping female characters with, I like my characters to be sexy sometimes, depending on what I am playing, it's all about creating a visual representation of the type of personality I envision for a character, and that is what is immersive to me, visually. A world where everyone is dressed very conservatively and uniformly is as immersion breaking to me as a game where everything is skimpy. There should be a variety of options for all tastes and preferences.

Unless we are talking about White armor or Gothic style armor heavy armor doesn't need to look all the same , for example the Templars , depending on the order there where different outfits and crosses than identify the individual, not forgetting about the coat of arms in the shields and or tabards, there is allot of variety if we take in consideration the use of a personal flag or coat of arms.      
  • Tatiana said:
    They've also said they don't want too much realism in the armor, because that would make it very boring and bland. I agree with this sentiment, I don't want outfit/armor skins that are too realistic, because "function over form" lends itself to being very dull, with everyone looking the same. It should be up to the player what they wear, it's not real life, it's a game, and it's fantasy. I can understand keeping heavy armor more on the "conservative" side of things, but when it comes to light or medium armor which provide no realistic form of protection in the first place, I think that should be open to being more "skimpy" in design sometimes.

Unless we are talking about White armor or Gothic style armor heavy armor doesn't need to look all the same , for example the Templars , depending on the order there where different outfits and crosses than identify the individual, not forgetting about the coat of arms in the shields and or tabards, there is allot of variety if we take in consideration the use of a personal flag or coat of arms.      
    Things like coat of arms or flags dont change much in all honesty, it's like wearing a plain orange or red t-shirt...
  • Tatiana said:

Things like coat of arms or flags dont change much in all honesty, it's like wearing a plain orange or red t-shirt...
    My coat of arms disagrees ^^

• nagash said:
    Tatiana said:

Resize it, make it x times smaller and sure up close someone might see the Edgelords coat of arms
    edited September 2018
    nagash said:
    Tatiana said:

Resize it, make it x times smaller and sure up close someone might see the Edgelords coat of arms
    haha yeah its a bit much but good gods can you imagine this-game ^^
    edited September 2018
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    Tatiana said:

haha yeah its a bit much but good gods can you imagine this-game ^^
    If those blue skulls were little souls trying to escape it would increase the epicness by a few %
  • or like this 

What a slut, basically naked.
  • A coat of arms is basically part of yourself , is what represents you , maybe for random people it will not look alot different but for the ones than carry the mean of those flags with their shield and or flags in home/castles and or even in your minions if you are a summoner it can change the way than you play like an moral boost to yourself.
  • nagash said:
    Tatiana said:

Talking in human perspective I can't rlly call that a coat of arms but looks good anyway.
  • or like this 

• nagash said:
    or like this 

Can't get more lewd than a skeleton...
  • nagash said:
    or like this 

a succubus would disagree 
  • I think this topic has gone way off track.
  • I think this topic has gone way off track.
    When do threads stay on track
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    or like this 

Succubuses are seductive and lewd, skeletons are just the epitome of being naked.
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    or like this 

Succubuses are seductive and lewd, skeletons are just the epitome of being naked.
    Are you skin shaming the undead
  • nagash said:
    I think this topic has gone way off track.
    When the mods decide to put threads back on track.
  • nagash said:
    We have forum mods?
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    We have forum mods?
    I have been wondering that myself. Another Ashes mystery. 
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    We have forum mods?
    I have been wondering that myself. Another Ashes mystery. 
    It truly is ^^