Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Some minor but spicy changes to keep open world PvP alive (and healthy)

124»

Comments

• Options
    Szejm said:
    Bounty, resources/materials, items drop chance all that staff makes it super hiper mega rewarding (form my perspective) and i will most certenly use that sytem all the time. 
    Szejm said:
    No open world pvp = no job for bounty hunters. 
    One post you say you'll use it, the next you say you won't. Either you are two people posting from the same account, or you are just making shit up as you go, regardless of whether it backs your point or not, or whether it makes sense or not.
  • Options
    What's to keep a group of dedicated pvp'ers from going out on ganking rampage, and then later cleansing themselves of corruption through death to each others alts, so that no resources/items are really lost? 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I plan on definitely testing the limits of corruption (imo it also helps **** a rival nodes growth if you attack its people) to see advantageous it can really be, and I'm sure I won't be alone in this.
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    What's to keep a group of dedicated pvp'ers from going out on ganking rampage, and then later cleansing themselves of corruption through death to each others alts, so that no resources/items are really lost? 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I plan on definitely testing the limits of corruption (imo it also helps **** a rival nodes growth if you attack its people) to see advantageous it can really be, and I'm sure I won't be alone in this.
    While we don't have specifics, this is something Intrepid have said they either are working on or have a working solution to.

There are a *LOT* of people that are going to test corruption as soon as we are able to do so. The system is going to be pulled to bits and examined from every conceivable angle - specifically so issues like the above (and the far more complex ones that come to mind) do not make it in to the game.

The testing of the system will be done. The only thing up for question is whether Intrepid will plug the holes as we find them.

I personally think they will. If I didn't, I wouldn't play the game.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    I don't think it will always be a free as you think.

The longer you stay out pvping, the longer you spent risking your items, and the more time a bounty hunter has to track you down. You are also decreasing your pvp combat efficacy the more you kill so not only are you giving bounty hunters more time to find you but you are also making it easier for them to kill you once they do.

On top of all of that, you pretty much are bringing your gear to anyone who pvps. Not only do you have to worry about bounty hunters but you also have to worry about running into players who are willing to fight back. If you go on a killing spree and continue to kill, it is only a matter of time before you come across someone who will fight back. As I stated before, the more corruption you have, the easier you will be to kill and the more chance of dropping your gear. You will probably also drop all the resources you gained when you finally die because of the increased death penalty.

You pretty much become a pinata and it's only a matter of time before someone takes a swing.

Even if you use friends to remove corruption through death and manage avoid item lose you still have to grind back all exp debt.
  • Options
    Szejm said:
    @CosmicChaos
    Its seems u didnt understand the system in bdo and that was ur main problem.

In BDO even if someone kills u... killed Player lose nothing. Killer lose a lot of karma And is at risk of losing a lotttt moreee.

So it works like that: if high lvl player is desperate to take The spot he will kill you few times... but u lose nothing.. so if u just refuse to fight and keep coming back -( u respawn usually veeery close..)- There is no way  to discourage you from coming back. If he is high Level and he go red you can just spam Global chat and im 99% sure people will come to kill him. If high Level Player die as red he lose gems worth tens of milions(if not hundreds) and exp worth 6hours at least.And if he is "very" red he will lose more exp and gems.. and item upgrades  worth maaany hundreds of milions = 40x more that everything u have equipoed... 
    (And u dont stop being red even if u are killed.. so red can die and lose many Times.. ) 

To sum up. Bdo system was The most punishing system for pvp i have even seen. And u were just not smart enough to use it.

@nagash
    Well bdo was a grind game so it was very important to have a spot just for yourself(or for your party). So fighting over spot was not meaningless. When u exp solo(or party) and u are mid/high lvl u have like 0.2-0.6%/h and +-8milion gold/h. But if some random come u have like 0.05%-0.2%/h because spots are too small for many people... U can make the counting yourself.

This game was all about grinding and farming. Holding spots for urself and ur guild was very important part of end game. And when bdo destroyed it - they removed penalty for PvP dead for green - player base droped like 30%. 

And that's why I hate carebears. They make every game unplayable and boring. 
    lol It's true being killed by a player cost you nothing. But calling the karma system punishing in that game is hilarious. I know how it works and I know it didn't have any real impact at all. But we've strayed into pointless discussion. I get you enjoy open world pvp. I'm personally very happy AoC is going for driven pvp and opting for a very punishing system to combat ganking/griefing. Not everyone enjoys one sided pvp, but I accept that plenty of players do.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

The longer you stay out pvping, the longer you spent risking your items, and the more time a bounty hunter has to track you down. You are also decreasing your pvp combat efficacy the more you kill so not only are you giving bounty hunters more time to find you but you are also making it easier for them to kill you once they do.

On top of all of that, you pretty much are bringing your gear to anyone who pvps. Not only do you have to worry about bounty hunters but you also have to worry about running into players who are willing to fight back. If you go on a killing spree and continue to kill, it is only a matter of time before you come across someone who will fight back. As I stated before, the more corruption you have, the easier you will be to kill and the more chance of dropping your gear. You will probably also drop all the resources you gained when you finally die because of the increased death penalty.

You pretty much become a pinata and it's only a matter of time before someone takes a swing.

Even if you use friends to remove corruption through death and manage avoid item lose you still have to grind back all exp debt.
    But you are assuming that myself or others are going to be traveling alone, or in small groups.  What I'm talking about is a large gank group of 15+.  Once you start getting into larger number gank groups, corruption's negative side effects become almost meaningless, as the victims (of even a hindered gank group) would still succumb to the sheer numbers.  And most victims would be alone, or in a small group themselves.  The same can also be said about the eventual bounty hunters too.  Unless those random people start organizing and teaming up into larger groups to take you down (unlikely in the short term), then they don't stand a chance either.
  • Options
    Assumes that corrupted individuals will be able to group. Since we have the quote that the system treats em like in game mobs, you may find out the options are limited for creating "corruption balls."
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    No matter what, you have to deal with at least the exp debt penalty. What i said still applies. If a big group raids a node, the longer they stay, the more time the node has time to mobilize a group to counter the group, and the more time they spend with a risk to their gear. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018

While this is all true, it only really applies to long stretches of PvP - something that is bordering on murder-hobo behavior.

There is almost no real penalty for one or two PvP kills as far as we know.

Since Intrepid have stated before that they don't want people to just go around murdering people, but do want people to have the option to kill players in the right situation, this seems about right to me.

I would wager that the vast majority of players that gain corruption will be legitimately killed before that corruption gets high enough for item loss to kick in. Since XP debt is literally something that the majority of players will pay back without even noticing it (due to being at the level cap), it is essentially a non-factor in regards to it's overall effect as a deterrent.
  • Options
    Noaani said:

I would wager that the vast majority of players that gain corruption will be legitimately killed before that corruption gets high enough for item loss to kick in. Since XP debt is literally something that the majority of players will pay back without even noticing it (due to being at the level cap), it is essentially a non-factor in regards to it's overall effect as a deterrent.
    Depends on the severity of the stat diminish due to negative exp and how great a hit you take for a single death. Don't forget there is negative exp for pve deaths also. So someone who racks up a significant exp debt will see their performance diminished in pve as well, even at "level cap"

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Yea, it's hard to tell how severe the death penalty will be but it sounds like it will be something. I could see a normal death would require an ok amount of time to work off and with a corrupted death being 3-4 times that, it could add up. If a normal death takes 10-20 minutes to work of then you are looking at 30 to 80 minutes to work off. That could make it hurt. 

On top of that, as unknown pointed out, you get nerfed by the exp debt so getting this much of it might mean you have to do weaker lower-value content to work it off. 
  • Options
    Noaani said:

Depends on the severity of the stat diminish due to negative exp and how great a hit you take for a single death. Don't forget there is negative exp for pve deaths also. So someone who racks up a significant exp debt will see their performance diminished in pve as well, even at "level cap"

While I do agree, I also note that I didn't really explain why I believe most players will die before their corruption reaches the point of any real penalty.

My thinking is that we will know exactly where that item loss tipping point is. Most players (note; not all) will purposefully keep their corruption below this point at all times.

The behavior this will result in when in game is that players won't think twice about one or two player kills if there is a reason to kill them, but won't want to go above that very often.

Because of this, experience debt penalties will never get very high. To me, the fact that these penalties will never get that high for these players means that the penalty will never be that severe, and will be quickly worked off via normal gameplay.

This is obviously not the behavior some more PvP focused players will partake in, but it is how I see the vast majority behaving.

While we obviously don't know the values of all of these penalties, if a player goes about their business and only kills occasional players, and then carries on with said business the actual penalties involved will likely be worked through quickly.

The only time I can see where penalties for corruption will *actually* matter is when a player kills many others.
  • Options
    I'm waiting with this whole discussin until they reveal a bit more about open world pvp system.. There are too many unknown aspects of AoC open world pvp to have a proper discussion without "fortune-telling", guesssing and assuming.. 

Its not like im not here anymore guys.. be not afraid  :D
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The PvP system is by far the system we know the most about.

There are some possible gaps, for sure, but they are so specific and deep in the PvP system that it isn't worth Intrepid discussing it.

Node types and their effects, individual class descriptions, crafting, freehold uses, castle perks, guild perks or literally *anything* to do with water based content.

These are all systems that we have significantly less information about than we do about PvP systems.

In my opinion, each of these systems should have some serious discussion dedicated to them (from Intrepid) before we spend any more time on PvP discussion.