Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gear Viewing & Level Viewing

boogis said:
" ... we played uo we played albion and nobody abused. you must do it right for example dont let other ppl see what gear you wear. and possiably your lvl. isnt it good idea? ... "

Now hear me out ... This MMO ... has no factions ... this means even your Guild Mates can attack each other if they wanted to - at any time. 

On the other side ... in Raids ... if a Raid Member is not "properly geared" ... then no one would be able to know 
    ~ Unless its a feature that ONLY allows players to view gear in Raids and nowhere else

I think having this Feature is (somewhat of) a HardCore Aspect. But simply due to how there is no Factions in this MMORPG ... i think it should be considered. 

The whole point of Not being able to view Level & Gear ... is to have an additional sense-of-suspense. I personally am neutral about this idea.

What do you think ?

Comments

• Guild mates cannot attack each other, nor alliance members, group members, or raid members.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    i doubt it - there's nothing stopping other Guild Mates from attacking each other.

Raid Members & Group Members can't attack each other ... but i can't vouch for the others you mentioned
  • Would I have to ask what is the point?
  • Eragale said:
    i doubt it - there's nothing stopping other Guild Mates from attacking each other.

Raid Members & Group Members can't attack each other ... but i can't vouch for the others you mentioned

Has been discussed several times in livestreams and here is a direct quote for you. They have also said that information like level and gear will NOT be readily apparent to give people clues as to whether it would be advantageous for them to attack or not. 
  • The main point would be to game the corruption system I believe.
  • Eragale said:

Has been discussed several times in livestreams and here is a direct quote for you. They have also said that information like level and gear will NOT be readily apparent to give people clues as to whether it would be advantageous for them to attack or not. 
    See I like that. You should have to guess from the armour and the look of the weapons what rank they are. it adds a hint of roleplay to everyday life in the game
  • nagash said:

See I like that. You should have to guess from the armour and the look of the weapons what rank they are. it adds a hint of roleplay to everyday life in the game
    But there will also be the added thrill of never knowing if that is exactly what the person is wearing. From a "Magic, duh!" point of view, the whole avatar costume skins that will mask what actual gear is being worn and its level can be explained as a glamour. You see that tinker with his mule moving between towns and fire off your arrow to rob him, and are surprised when it hits and falls to the ground with the clink of hitting plate mail under his costume. Then he turns and hops on his "mule", which for some reason now sounds a lot like a pissed off war bear. On the flip side, I may put an enchantment on myself so I look like I am more powerful than I am as I travel between cities, giving even the most hard-hearted bandit pause. Those that love to pick on others and choose targets that are "easy" are going to have a hard go of it I imagine.
  • nagash said:

But there will also be the added thrill of never knowing if that is exactly what the person is wearing. From a "Magic, duh!" point of view, the whole avatar costume skins that will mask what actual gear is being worn and its level can be explained as a glamour. You see that tinker with his mule moving between towns and fire off your arrow to rob him, and are surprised when it hits and falls to the ground with the clink of hitting plate mail under his costume. Then he turns and hops on his "mule", which for some reason now sounds a lot like a pissed off war bear. On the flip side, I may put an enchantment on myself so I look like I am more powerful than I am as I travel between cities, giving even the most hard-hearted bandit pause. Those that love to pick on others and choose targets that are "easy" are going to have a hard go of it I imagine.
    Oh you could have so much fun with this. *undead chuckle*
    edited July 2018
    Eragale said:

Thank goodness @UnknownSystemError can! <salute>
  • he really is a walking talking encyclopedia
  • On the flip side, I may put an enchantment on myself so I look like I am more powerful than I am as I travel between cities, giving even the most hard-hearted bandit pause. Those that love to pick on others and choose targets that are "easy" are going to have a hard go of it I imagine.
    Or for the bounty hunter/PvP types they could run around in low level areas in level appropriate gear pretending to level up, etc and be right there to gank the gankers.

• @UnknownSystemError
    Will a player be able to click on another Player to view their Level and/or Gear ? 
    At any time throughout the game ?

I'm asking for clarification - the wording is ... is playing with my brain : 3
  • @UnknownSystemError
    Btw .. just thought of this ...

What if literally every Guild is part of an Alliance ? Wouldn't that mean all Guild-less Players are effectively screwed and Solo-players would be  impossible ? 

because ... if this System is truth ... that would mean that each Guild apart of that Alliance can never-ever attack one another ?
    • What if one of the Guild Members of Guild A hates another Guild Member in Guild B ? 
     I'm not trying to be "devil's advocate" - just listing potential scenarios 
    i.e. Steven did say that ... a Zerg biggest weakness is conflict from within ... so preventing other Alliance Members from not attack one another kinda ruins the whole point of "Conflict form Within" ( Betrayal ) 
    edited July 2018
    Maybe we'll just have to wait-&-see
    : \
  • Eragale said:
    Maybe we'll just have to wait-&-see
    : \
    you know you could always ask steven yourself ^^
  • @nagash
    doubtful he'll answer

• Eragale said:
    @nagash
    doubtful he'll answer

never say never

• On a slightly related note, I hope we can write little bios for our characters that players can inspect, like the old days.  
    It was a nice way to look at another player and seeing if you even wanted to approach them to interact with. 
  • On a slightly related note, I hope we can write little bios for our characters that players can inspect, like the old days.  
    It was a nice way to look at another player and seeing if you even wanted to approach them to interact with. 
    how little is little ^^
  • Speculation, but I would assume there is a limit to how many guilds can be in an alliance.

Player level is something we will need to know (or at least a close approximation), as it will affect the corruption penalty for killing a player. Due to this, I'd expect to have it shown in game in some fashion.

I believe Steven has already said he doesn't want people to be able to examine other characters to see what gear they have on. He claims it leads to exclusivism, where players will exclude others from groups because their gear sucks (also why we won't have anything resembling gear score).

I could be wrong on that, but I don't think I am.
  • nagash said:
    On a slightly related note, I hope we can write little bios for our characters that players can inspect, like the old days.  
    how little is little ^^
    ALWAYS WITH THE SHORT JOKES!
    One of these days @nagash, Bang! Boom! Right to the moon!

;)
  • nagash said:
    On a slightly related note, I hope we can write little bios for our characters that players can inspect, like the old days.  
    how little is little ^^

;)
    ok I did not mean that as a short joke I was talking about my love for RP and lore. the short joke was just a happy little accident ^^
  • @Noaani Nope, you are not wrong on that. They have expressed that opinion a couple times. I am currently playing a game that allows addons like dps meters and invasive ones that tell other people what loot you got from a boss (has individual loot). Had an experience just this morning where we were running some easy content that is kinda a faceroll. I cycled in a nominal dps to get the daily reward with another one of our regulars here tanking. And the other dps took huge offense and just started in with the epeen shit talking. "You aren't good enough for this!" and other more flowery speech. We get to the final boss, and the guy just stops dpsing to show how much of a badass he is, and how much of a scrub I am. Well, it got done, just not as fast as he would have liked. But the toxic behavior over someone not doing what you want them to do was the point. @Belle-bot.exe ♡ saw this exchange, so if my opinion on what went on is overstated she will be sure to correct me. People will be dicks no matter what, you give them tools, it just helps them express it with righteous indignation. 
  • nagash said:
    how little is little ^^

;)
    Image result for saitama sent to moon gif
    Sorry couldn't help myself @Nagash
  • I completely agree that guessing is part of the fun. It's so damn annoying playing Octopath and not knowing how much hp an enemy has but at the same time there's a certain ecstatic feeling to it as well. I dunno maybe im just a masochist  :/
  • nagash said:
    how little is little ^^

;)
    Image result for saitama sent to moon gif
    Sorry couldn't help myself @Nagash
    come at me

• I like not knowing what the other persons Lv and gear is. 

In open world I wouldnt mind grouping with a weakling. Fun times, real adventures.

For organized tasks I'd go with the Guild.
    Guilds will make sure that members have good gear for the task and the ability it takes to complete it.

I find that gear checking or dps posting creates negativity.

If people dont want to waste their time with weaker players they should join Guilds and not random LFG.

As for PvP. Back in Line][Age it wasnt possible to figure out if an aggresive player was higher than you. Being killed by idiots like that gave me drive to become good in PvP.

If I wasnt competitive I'd just let the unknown or known Lv enemy kill me or go away.

Not interested on checking other players items. I'd prefer to ask them making my mmorpg experience more social and less of a task.
    Or go online and find out what gear I want for my character. 

• People will be dicks no matter what, you give them tools, it just helps them express it with righteous indignation. 
    This is basically my opinion on the whole thing as well.

I am all for no gear score - I personally think the entire idea behind it is stupid.

I am less keen on no inspection, but I understand why and can support the idea behind it (not that my support means anything).

DPS meters though, are something I think should be available to players - just not necessarily for actual combat.

I'd like to see a mannequin or some such that players can attack for a pre-determined amount of time (1 minute or 5 minutes), that then spits out a parse reading. This gives players the ability to objectively test builds, and if they have patient friends, they can test buffs in various situations as well, all while not arming those dicks in question.

Something like this comes down to whether Intrepid want players to be easily informed, or if they would rather us spend months crunching numbers, to the point where a few of us will get to the same results, and the bulk of the population will be completely ignorant.
  • Yeah I don't want a lot of public information like DPS trackers, though I don't mind some level information for organizing high level content.  I mean you don't want that level 10 troll to jump into your raid group when your trying to do an instance raid.

But gear score and dps trackers can go out the window.  Though as some others have said a training dummy in your freehold so you can test builds wouldn't be bad.
  • I asked the question of viewing peoples gear and it was answered during one of the early live streams and spawned a whole thread afterwards. The answer was no you will not be able to view peoples gear/level.
    Is the thread here
    The podcast is actually form last July.