Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts on the new gameplay teaser?

Comments

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    c0ug4r wrote: »
    The votes are not looking good

Exactly, combined with the Steam reviews which were absolutely foreseeable this all leaves such a bad impression. Couldn't have worse marketing :'(

All we need to top it off would be an epic game exclusive and I hope I dont jinx it

If they did that I will immediately start a petition to get refunds from the kickstarter.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The votes are not looking good

Exactly, combined with the Steam reviews which were absolutely foreseeable this all leaves such a bad impression. Couldn't have worse marketing :'(

All we need to top it off would be an epic game exclusive and I hope I dont jinx it

If they did that I will immediately start a petition to get refunds from the kickstarter.

hahaha now that sounds like a plan
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Old video
    https://youtu.be/HS7GKo7J9LE

New video
    https://youtu.be/Z07BiTdY2nI

Now tell me which one looks better?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    Highly disappointing.
    Too many white Humans.
    I would much rather see diversity among the characters they are highlighting than to see a bunch of highly detailed mobs.
    I hate being stuck playing white people.

while that is a good point I would like to see the other 7 races as well :D
    Yep. That is why I said to many white Humans instead of just too many white people.
    Kinda the same for Apoc. I'd like to at least see some statues of Dwarves and Orcs in addition to statues of Humans and Orcs

• Options
    Highly disappointing.
    Too many white Humans.
    I would much rather see diversity among the characters they are highlighting than to see a bunch of highly detailed mobs.
    I hate being stuck playing white people.

while that is a good point I would like to see the other 7 races as well :D
    Yep. That is why I said to many white Humans instead of just too many white people.
    Kinda the same for Apoc. I'd like to at least see some statues of Dwarves and Orcs in addition to statues of Humans and Orcs

how else am I meant to play as nagash

400px-Wallpaper-nagash-sorcerer.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Why just why did they release this video and then call it a gameplay trailer? Gameplay? Oh dear...

It would have been okay to show it to the community by stream or blog. We know where those raptors, horses, dragon and so on come from. We've read the blogs and seen the videos. The video isn't impressing but it would have been fine for a summary of last weeks/months work to show to the community. But officially presenting it as a gameplay trailer during Gamescom will drive so many people away. There's absolutely nothing in this video that would make me take a look at Ashes. Such an overhasty decision to put everything of the last blogs in a video and think it would make for an appealing trailer.
    Well, the official title of the vid is: Ashes of Creation MMORPG Teaser
    It is nice to see horse riding and the dragons look awesome. As do the environments around the buildings.
    That teaser would have me more interested in playing Ashes than anything I've seen from Pantheon or CoE.
    Especially, if it were my first introduction to the IP.

I'm disappointed by the lack of diversity because they should have been working on character models for 2+ years already. I expect them to be farther along on that than they are.
    Especially, a year after Apoc.
  • Options
    The old videos are so much better
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    c0ug4rc0ug4r Member
    edited August 2019
    Only just realized I've only seen the IGN version of the teaser which differs from the Intrepid one.

Comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyj8A5L2Bk4
  • Options
    Yeah, the new trailer is uninspired. If I had seen that and not been keeping up with Ashes for a bit I would give it a pass or at least a "meh lets see what it looks like when it comes out." and then not even looked into it more unless I saw a release date or something much more polished and interesting.

I'm also confused why they didn't have any siege footage in there if they are rehashing stuff, that would have at least caught some peoples attention, especially people coming from MMOs like DAoC.
  • Options
    Only just realized I've only seen the IGN version of the teaser which differs from the Intrepid one.

they have really messed up
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    TarlachTarlach Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Out of the two having them cut out the less appeasing character model movements was a good choice.
  • Options
    c0ug4rc0ug4r Member
    edited August 2019
    Tarlach wrote: »
    Out of the two having them cut out the less appeasing character model movements was a good choice.
    Yes, the final Intrepid version looks a bit better leading to the question why IGN came out with a seemingly unfinished video many hours before Intrepid did?

Additionally their (IGN's) video title and description is absolutely misleading:
    Ashes of Creation Official Gameplay Teaser Trailer - Gamescom 2019 - Get an in-game look at what you can expect from the upcoming MMORPG Ashes of Creation. Hint: dragons, dinosaurs, and more!
  • Options
    ShoklenShoklen Member
    edited August 2019
    I do like IS' version over the IGN version.. but god don't have me watch it again.. any version.. (joking!)

I have followed many mmos prerelease.. one thing to take a way.. while there will be some tweaks to animations, graphics, or assets.. This is basically what we will get when the game launches.. more or less. Knowing that.. That has me worried. Why bring that up? As mentioned above, IS hid parts of the video that didn't look so great... mainly the close ups of the character models.

Major tweaks would be good.. But it is also asest crunch time and no artist/programmer wants to do "rework", specially not when there is a mountain of work ahead in the project flow. So chances of rework is narrowing by the day..

Perhaps RTX On, will help.... /*shrugs*/
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Yea they did hide the ugly but.. I mean the whole entire thing is just a BR rehash not really mmorpg gameplay teaser.. All the gameplay I saw was walking around and choppy unfinished animations. I know it's harsh to be critical but they released it as "MMORPG TEASER"

I don't see anything that comes to mind when I think of that, besides the mobs, players and environment. If you've been keeping up with the game you've already seen everything in the teaser. I hope this really is just another random video to showcase at gamescom or whatever. I hope they're still at least 2 years off of release.

By "BR rehash" I mean all the same armors and looks and animations.. we've seen it all already.

Also if the game only looks good on RTX it will have about 500 players world wide
    Poko.png
  • Options
    Maybe we're just being trolled... Come Alpha (mmo) they will flip a switch and it will look stunning and come together.... One can dream.

Right now it looks, alright, to good.. I still feel like it lost something from last year to this year.

But yea... Having a BR test the same day you're releasing a MMO trailer.. and that trailer is sub-par to the description handed out... There is a disconnect..
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My take on the video was there were many areas that showed a great deal of thought, broad and micro detail and overall development progress.

Landscapes appeared more developed and engaging.

Buildings and associated artifacts were highly detailed.

Lighting affects were great to see,

Music and sounds worked well

Player and NPC animations showing more life than previous iterations

These would not have just been put together at short notice but painstakingly massaged over considerable time to achieve.

The video itself was on par with many put together in the industry, and much preferred to be done with in-game footage, albeit staged, than some miss-representing PR CG animation.

For a game still in early to mid development, there is a lot on show.
    With constructive feedback, it can only get better.
  • Options
    mazikarmazikar Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Did they hire Derek Smart to make their movie? Wow... if you had any hopes of this game being a AAA title that movie just kicked you in the balls. It made me sad.
    zUflv8C.jpg
  • Options
    JakeMarsJakeMars Member, Braver of Worlds
    Old video

New video

Yeah they should've just played the old one instead
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Old video

New video

They should have just copied the layout from the old video, and replace the old fight and character scenes with new ones tbh xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Old video

New video

Not gonna lie the first one looks better it is certainly more polished, but the old one is made up of a majority of environment shots with a very small amount of game play (using the stock UE4 assets) and some cinematic embellishment.

So from a PR perspective for all those not following the game closely an updated version of the old video would have made more sense, but actually would have shown less about where the game is right now. I stand by my comment it is a good start, restart or however you want to phrase it when you take into account where we have been over the last 6 months, but I will agree it was poorly presented when you compare to the older videos.

I dont really care about presentation although it is important for Intrepid to get this right.
  • Options
    sparhawk29sparhawk29 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    it's a shame the video, while i'm impressed with the overall graphics, was really a bad take on the game. what sold me was the nodes, how my actions affect the region. how one player is as important as the other 100... what i saw there was only combat and even i noticed the gryphon issue and the raptors...

the excitement is real. the players that are all here and all still keen show that. clearly the devs are excited too, and why wouldn't they be? the biggest challenge for mmo's has been finding content that doesn't get stale, and ashes has a great chance to set the bench mark and actually become the gamekiller..... (other games that is :P ).

in saying that, i don't want players coming along and thinking the grind is what it is. i don't want players thinking the endgame is simply how much you sell.... i don't want another solo game because of greed or ignorance from players, and sadly that video tells me it's all about the combat, not the actual gameplay.

keep the excitement as it's great positive energy, but keep the videos and releases closer to the truth, because the combat on the video isn't even what we have in apoc at this time. that's the biggest disappointment to me. it looks great but that's as far as it really went.

keep up the grind, keep up that great work, but i do agree with everyone else that has said the video wasn't a great idea. lets see more indepth content before we advertise what isn't there yet. i'm still keen as, you already sold us. to sell the others, let's move away from combat only.

i have some friends that are keen but they don't want battle royale either. they're watching closely to how the world develops, you'll probably have at least 2 more players i know of, and that word will spread if you do this right.
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This should not be called a teaser trailer >< i just walked by the IGN stand on gamescom. Its huge. Will they show it there ? Hope it doesnt bring to much bad publicity. The video feels APOC and not MMO.
    Signature-member.gif
  • Options
    Okay guys lets analyse the Trailer and find the weaknesses:

"An empty, though nice looking city, then a shot followingh a pathway over some water, with people standing on top of it. These people are seemingly at peace and are talking with each other. "
    What is wrong here? The actual walkway over the water has the placeholder texture on it!

"A closeup of 4 people in a battle stance"
    Problem: The scene before that held no clue to any danger, leading the viewer to imagine 4 people standing on a square just doing some poses....

"The four people are seen running through the street, while battle(?) music starts to play in the background. Every other NPC in the scene is standing still and talks to each other."
    Problem: NO ONE ELSE IS SEEN TO PREPARE OR EVEN WORRY! The battlemusic/voicelines in the background are all seemingly implying danger, but there is no visible danger.....

"We see a forrest with cool lighting effects, and raptors. Not really big raptors, and not that many raptors, but oh well... The raptors start running towards somewhere."
    How did those 4 people know that the raptors where comming? No idea.

"The city has walls, but no gate.... The raptors are running over a bridge and get bombarded with ONE meteor. Raptors and 4... no wait there is a mysterious 5th member now! They engage in battle, while the npcs watch on. The raptor pack is defeated!"
    Okay i can accept the city with no gates, but that they let the NPCs stand at the side is a bit much....

"A closeup shot of a mountain fortress that has no visible connection to the earlier scenes. We follow a group of riders out of the fortress. Six gryphon riders engage the fortress and drop bombs. The riders.... land? Both groups run at each other. Before they meet in battle, they get interrupted by a thunderbolt! DRAGON! Dragon flies over the castle, while we see a multitude of siege weapons fire in some direction... Dragon lands, yells and.... End of trailer."

Okay.... *sigh*

Problems:
    -Why did the riders go outside of the castle? Did they know that the gryphon riders where comming?
    -Why did the gryphon riders land?
    -WHY DID THE DRAGON LAND?!?

Lets recap:
    None of the shown scenes make any sense, here is how they could have rectified that at least a bit.

Dont show the Ashes logo or anything in that regard! (That enhances the mystery of the shown presentation)

Show the raptors first. Let them protect some HUGE egg.
    Then open with some beautifull forrest scenery, and show some lone human attack their nest, enrage the pack, steal the egg and then flee.
    The human then shoots a signalflare to alert the settlement/his buddies.

Show the buddies gear up and ride out of the city and engage the pack outside of the city, maybe on the edge of the forrest or something. Show someone actually cast the meteor spell, maybe let him destroy some trees.
    (Destruction is one point in Ashes that nearly NO OTHER MMORPG HAS!)
    Let them fight the raptor pack, show some cool animations on both sides.

Connect both locations, show that the same group, that fought the raptors, travels with a caravan to the mountain fortress or something, let them guard the cool looking egg (reason for the dragon later and also the reason for the other players to attack).
    Show the gryphon riders following the caravan, give both groups different logos, implying that they are enemy guilds or something.
    Give the fortress the same logo that the caravan group had, implying that the fortress is their guilds base of operations.

After the caravan arives in the fortress, let them carefully unpack the egg, and show it to some other players.
    Let someone blow a horn to allert the fortress of the gryphon riders.

The riders do their bombardment thing, and challenge the caravan group to a 6v6 PvP fight.

Both groups engage and while in battle, the dragon appears! The dragon sets some things on fire, while circling the fortress, destroying the trebuches.

Let the dragon land, rise up on its hind legs, and then bellow out a flame that actually transforms in the Ashes logo on a black background.

That is how they could have saved the trailer in my opinion, let my know what you think!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Old video

New video
    The new one is much better. Shows the work they've accomplished since the old one.

• Options
    Old video

New video
    The new one is much better. Shows the work they've accomplished since the old one.

I can't tell if you serious or not
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    I’m serious.
    The old one is basically just a bunch of buildings and environments.
    The new one includes updated armor sets and weapons. Also includes buildings with active gates.
    Also includes awesome mobs and characters riding on mounts.
  • Options
    I’m serious.
    The new one includes updated armor sets and weapons. Also includes buildings with active gates.

ok. I have nothing to say to that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    KaienKaien Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I thought it looked ok, the dragon was cool. Its still early development so i dont get what people are expecting. Gamers these days want everything on a silver plater and they want it fast. Atleast we got something :D
  • Options
    I’m serious.

The problem with the new one is, that it has no real coherence between the scenes. Nothing there makes real sense.... We jump from one scene to the next one, and it seems as if they got the timeline wrong....
    They just show us some NPCs, buildings and four creatures (if you count the horses and gryphins) fight with or against humans.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I don’t really need a teaser to have coherence between scenes.
    Teasers just give quick glimpses of the content.

The “story” I got from the teaser is:
    “Here’s a party of characters defending their town from raptors.
    Oh, and hey! It’s also now possible to ride on horses and gryphons - and the dragons look cool!”

Teasers typically have the timeline all over the place.