Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts on the new gameplay teaser?

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    I don’t really need a teaser to have coherence between scenes.
    Teasers just give quick glimpses of the content.

The “story” I got from the teaser is:
    “Here’s a party of characters defending their town from raptors.
    Oh, and hey! It’s also now possible to ride on horses and gryphons - and the dragons look cool!”

Teasers typically have the timeline all over the place.

I agree to disagree there^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    It was like reading a "choose your own adventure" book, but instead of skipping pages, its read straight thru page-to-page....

Being Coherent is extremely important.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    It makes you think of a 3D tower defense game rather than an MMORPG that requires group play.
  • Options
    mazikarmazikar Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I guess someone thought ... "well hey... everyone likes dinosaurs, and those raptors (that are not even close to the actual dimensions of a real Velociraptor of 30 lbs) that gained fame from the Jurassic Park movies were a total hit, lets put those in the game... and have them attack an entire city... just 5 of them though."

Lets see now....
    over-sized Velociraptors.. ✓
    Battle Royale ✓
    Got off flying mounts to fight mounted infantry ✓
    Dragons with impossibly small wings shooting fire ✓
    Janky animations while playing epic music score ✓
    random explosions like being in a modern artillery barrage ✓
    Horses exploding and burning when they crash... Missed opportunity!
    lots of glowy light sources during the day ✓
    large globby dust particles everywhere ✓
    complete sellout ✓
    AAA game..... not so much.

Oh dear god.... take that video down. The entire things is mashed together showing off "glowy stuff" and is horribly animated. Not sure what look you were going for... but if laughable.... and Derek Smart like... were your goals.... you nailed it. If you want a reference to what I am talking about look up "Line of Defense official trailer"
    zUflv8C.jpg
  • Options
    ShoklenShoklen Member
    edited August 2019
    ^ Sounds like a michael bay movie...

You know... If we could choose Raptor as a player race... Levels and abilities, but no gear... Id do it.. lol
  • Options
    SoulsOnFireSoulsOnFire Member, Settler, Kickstarter
    The negativity is getting hard to read by now.
    Tq3LCNj.png
  • Options
    Had such high hope for the game. After seeing the BR and this, I have to give the teaser and the game two thumbs down.
    Word of mouth at the gaming club I play with is to stay away from this game!
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    dancer wrote: »
    Had such high hope for the game. After seeing the BR and this, I have to give the teaser and the game two thumbs down.

A lot of my friends are the same sadly
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AmorianAmorian Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's been a few years and i have yet too see gameplay that reflects one of the first trailers we were shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iNpeHv7l1Y

• Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    If I were an outsider I wouldn't pay money to play that MMO.
    It's super disheartening seeing because this was supposed to be the original time the game was to be in a beta stage or released.
  • Options
    KaienKaien Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    dancer wrote: »

Do you mind if i ask you how your hopes have diminished? the game is what in alpha so its faaaar away from being complete. Me and my friends are opposite we are still excited sure we take all promises with a grain of salt been around the gaming scene for many years now.

But i still think this game can come out good if they continue this openess with their community and we as a comunnity give them the right feedback and proper critism not just "hurr durr this suxzooor".
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Blythe wrote: »
    It's been a few years and i have yet too see gameplay that reflects one of the first trailers we were shown.
    Art of War is similar to the trailer above - but better graphics.
    Apoc is pretty much like what we see in the trailer above - without Levitation. Levitation is no longer in the current game design.
    What do you see in that trailer that we have yet to experience in actual gameplay?
  • Options
    Blythe wrote: »
    Art of War is similar to the trailer above - but better graphics.
    Apoc is pretty much like what we see in the trailer above - without Levitation. Levitation is no longer in the current game design.
    What do you see in that trailer that we have yet to experience in actual gameplay?

at least that video feels like a MMO unlike the new trash
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    What makes the It's Dangerous To Go It Alone trailer feel like an MMORPG in a manner that the new MMORPG teaser does not??
  • Options
    What makes the It's Dangerous To Got It Alone trailer feel like an MMORPG in a manner that the new MMORPG teaser does not??

well, the old one feels like you are a new adventure who goes out into the world looking for the old ruins of Verra while the new one looks like 5v5 mobs and 5v5 fights and a dragon because dragons are cool.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited August 2019
    What about 5v5 mobs, 5v5 fights and dragons are not indicative of an MMORPG???
    It's just different types of encounters one might experience in an MMORPG.
    In fact, the old trailer, Dangerous To Go IT Alone, could be a BR.
    Whereas, at least, the new teaser shows characters in combat with mobs.
  • Options
    I dont want to post it here.. But to be fair.. Some of the pre-alpha/alpha/beta footage from Warhammer Online looked horrendous.. scripted mobs, and encounters just swinging at one another clearly doing no damage.. just all a stage..

I think that is what killed this trailer for me.. Too scripted, too staged.. with no story or flow as such.. "meh" animations, but some really nice models.. but also a long side "meh" models like the player models.

I understand crunch, I worked for a studio for a while.. All these developers have my deepest respect. But because of that, I know they can do better.

To me, that Female Mage we see in the early trailers looks insanely better then the current player models in Apoc.
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    Yea I mean it's nice to see them showing things but the problem is it's supposed to be an "MMORPG teaser" That has me a little worried. I guess they had to call it that to catch people at gamescom but I don't understand what person would take interest in this when there's nothing playable at the moment and just being honest, compared to other stuff at gamescom... I mean..
    Poko.png
  • Options
    The devs have plenty of other vids they can show of actual gameplay if they want.
    I dunno why people act like this new teaser is the only one available.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The devs have plenty of other vids they can show of actual gameplay if they want.

Because this is the one posted on the IGN YouTube channel, meaning it could very well be the first thing people see about the game. If this trailer was the first impression I had of a game I wouldn't be interested in it at all.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

Because this is the one posted on the IGN YouTube channel, meaning it could very well be the first thing people see about the game. If this trailer was the first impression I had of a game I wouldn't be interested in it at all.

Just to reiterate the point, here are some trailers for other mmorpgs that follow the same kind of theme as the Ashes trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJr3dXZfcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglnSrfJtyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l75R5PHjIAY

Even without knowing anything about those games, the trailer immediately gets you invested in what is going on. As the player you can see yourself taking part in that battle, either as one of the characters shown or your own character. That is what a good trailer can do. The Ashes trailer doesn't do any of that.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    ORKPULTS!!!!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited August 2019

The new teaser would not be super-compelling if it's the first thing I saw - besides the graphics.
    The world is one I might enjoy exploring, but that wouldn't be enough to grab me. Neither would the It's Dangerous To Go It Alone trailer.
    The Art Of War trailer would entice me. But, any of them, including this last one, would be enough for me to Google the game design.

One of the things that inspires me in MMORPGs is the stories that I can tell through images and machinima I can create. The new teaser's graphics are much better for that than the Go It Alone trailer. The running animations are much better. The horse riding and dragon riding look epic.
    The combat animations don't look great, but it's still alpha/pre-alpha. And I've played the BR. And i can see footage of the BR combat if I look for more info.

I don't think the new teaser is intended to be used as a marketing tool that is the first and only thing that will bring players to the game.
    The teaser is primarily to show new features that they haven't shown at previous conventions - horse riding and gryphon riding, cool-looking dragons, some new mobs and new armor sets.

(It's not super-compelling now, either. But it does show improvement on some stuff and some progress with rendering mobs.)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Um. Battle of Azeroth is a Cinemetic Trailer for a polished game that launched over a decade ago.
    That is an absurd comparison.

The Warhammer Online Trailer dropped 11 months before the game released. I'm not expecting Ashes to release in July of 2020. I'm not really expecting Ashes to be released in 2020 at all.
    What you seem to be saying, here, is that Ashes shouldn't drop any trailers at all until they're close to launching the game (which is a view several of the confused posters on IGN hold).

The City of heroes trailer is, again, comparing seeds to ripened fruit.
    City of Heroes launched in 2004. That trailer you posted is from E3 2005.

Your expectations aren't realistic.
  • Options
    Um. Battle of Azeroth is a Cinemetic Trailer for a polished game that launched over a decade ago.
    That is an absurd comparison.

The Warhammer Online Trailer dropped 11 months before the game released. I'm not expecting Ashes to release in July of 2020. I'm not really expecting Ashes to be released in 2020 at all.
    What you seem to be saying, here, is that Ashes shouldn't drop any trailers at all until they're close to launching the game (which is a view several of the confused posters on IGN hold).

The City of heroes trailer is, again, comparing seeds to ripened fruit.
    City of Heroes launched in 2004. That trailer you posted is from E3 2005.

Your expectations aren't realistic.

I'm well aware of that. My point was just to show what a good trailer can do. And yes, I don't understand why Intrepid released such a bland trailer so early in development.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2019

Just to reiterate the point, here are some trailers for other mmorpgs that follow the same kind of theme as the Ashes trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJr3dXZfcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglnSrfJtyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l75R5PHjIAY

Even without knowing anything about those games, the trailer immediately gets you invested in what is going on. As the player you can see yourself taking part in that battle, either as one of the characters shown or your own character. That is what a good trailer can do. The Ashes trailer doesn't do any of that.

Big problem with setting these videos as examples right here:
    1. They are cinematic trailers! IS made theirs in-engine, and missed some textures (bridge scene has placeholder textures). You just cant compare cinematic and in-game trailers with each other quality-wise.
    2. All your videos had something that IS didnt have: a chronological and reasonable timeline! The IS teaser/trailer was all over the place, making most of the early scenes pretty... dumb?
    I dont want to be mean, but why did they start with the preparation of the "defenders", before we even saw the enemies (or even saw enemy movement), no other person on screen was in panic, while the 4 man team started doing poses in the middle of the plaza...
    If you analyse all the videos you postet, then you realise that they all follow a specific schema: they show an overall situation (birdsview look of the siege for wow, charging greenskins for warhammer etc) with the engaging enemies, then they switch to the defenders showing of their skills in combat with the invaders. IS teaser looked, as if they rushed it heavily, and if they had taken their time, i would bet that they could have done a way better job than what they showed us!

Edit: okay wait a second, i didnt realize that you also brought these up to show how inadequate the IS teaser was. Point still stands though xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I'm well aware of that. My point was just to show what a good trailer can do. And yes, I don't understand why Intrepid released such a bland trailer so early in development.
    trailer so early in development. [/quote]
    Pretty sure that everyone knows that Steven wants to be as transparent as possible and has been committed, from jump, to show off the development early.
    Which is why they started showing demos 2 years ago at PAX West and why they’ve been dropping teasers and trailers a couple of times per year.

The purpose of this trailer is to show that they’ve started working on riding mounts and some “cool” new mobs.
    They don’t have much new to show after last year’s Gamescom video.
    Though that feels more like Apoc gameplay than MMORPG gameplay.

And, if they showed nothing, people would be complaining that they are worried they aren’t working on the MMORPG at all.

The teaser is bland, sure.
    But it is not the only vid in an otherwise vacuum.
    It’s a new teaser. It’s not the only teaser/trailer they have.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2019
    mazikar wrote: »
    I guess someone thought ... "well hey... everyone likes dinosaurs, and those raptors (that are not even close to the actual dimensions of a real Velociraptor of 30 lbs) that gained fame from the Jurassic Park movies were a total hit, lets put those in the game... and have them attack an entire city... just 5 of them though."
    That dino wasn’t a velociraptor. It was a deinonychus which was up to 11 feet long.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinonychus

I assume you don’t know much about dinosaurs outside of movies.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Rem_Rem_ Member
    I don't think anyone is really complaining about getting video content. People are upset and complaining because the video was marketed for gamescom and shown on IGN as "MMORPG teaser." If anyone saw this I'm sure they'd have 0 interest.

Just being honest, compared to the other things and happenings at gamescom I see no reason to show this, it could have just been another video put out. It's nice to have another video, but strange that they have two different versions to show.
    Poko.png
  • Options
    I don't get it what is so worth of this bad hype about a game that to say the least no one really knows how many % is really made so far, the only thing i really see is a insecure comunity that was betreyed so many times by other companies that promised to make THE GREAT MMORPG OF THEYR LIVES, reflecting they'r own fear and insecurity in this one just cuz' expectations was not met and dreams were broken in the way of making the game, as i remember kickstarters are made based in faith and good will, sure you want something in return but you have to remember you have to at least wait to see the end product, no? So most people right now is just trying to push intrepid in a 2way road, where either they chose to show some gooddies for real or a shushdown from the studio where they will only release things when they " feel " it's the time. Do any of the 2 options sounds any good for anyone, really? Just cuz' some expectations weren't met along the way? There is a diference in point out what could be done better and to point out mistakes over and over again on peoples faces... Just saying...

- Peace!