Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How Important is Tab Target, Anyway?

Comments

• Options
    ferryman wrote: »
    @Robben DuMarsch I can not play without MMO-mouse anymore. It makes gaming and especially MMORPGs so much more easier to play. I have 20 button on my mouse, but I also use key combinations on top of that if needed. Now I do not need to use shift+ or ctrl+ combos when I can divide bindings on both hands, so I am faster this way. Small mouse buttons are weird at start, but with practise is starts to get more comfortable. If there is an option to customize UI and especially ability bars, then it is even more easier to build UI based on your mouse and keyboard.

I do not mind if there is 30 abilitites available, but like you, I prefer less. I am totally fine with 10 action buttons for example or even less like Albion has. Anyway, have you tested a MMO gaming mouse? If not, I can warmly recommend. ;)

I suggest Steelseries Rival 500

purchase-gallery-template-500__hero.png__1850x800_q100_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.png

signature.png
  • Options
    Magic Man wrote: »
    I suggest Steelseries Rival 500

purchase-gallery-template-500__hero.png__1850x800_q100_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.png

Hopefully there won't be a need for MMO mouses or worse..clicking on abilities :s
  • Options
    Cant imagine myself with a MMO mouse
    I feel like I would just use a bunch of abilites on accident

Ill just stay with my not-overprized-at-all gaming mouses, they only have around 4 diffrent buttons :)
  • Options
    midgardmidgard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    how about the healer ?
    i woud like to use tab targeting .
    or woud you like me to try and keep my mouse cursor on your toon while you are jumping around and dodging ?
    tab targeting olso allows me to chat while in combat whith party members or my guild or watever .

i like to play MMOs in longer runs like 4-5 hours at a time .
    and i might be old fashion but i like to chat whith text instead of talking into a microphone .
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2019
    midgard wrote: »
    how about the healer ?
    or woud you like me to try and keep my mouse cursor on your toon while you are jumping around and dodging ?
    tab targeting olso allows me to chat while in combat whith party members or my guild or watever .

and i might be old fashion but i like to chat whith text instead of talking into a microphone .
    There are ways to heal that don’t need to target someone.

AoE heals, dropping a regeneration spell, a spell that hits an enemy and everyone that hits it gets healed, and so on. Other MMOs have figured out a variety of healing methods other than “target ally, press heal spell button”.

Though I will say that healing is probably the strongest case for tab target skills.

And if I’m in a fight and you’re chatting in text I don’t want you as my healer. Come on now...

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    how about the healer ?

We shall see how healing will work with action in castle sieges :)
    signature.png
  • Options
    How important is tab -targeting? Not that much imho. Sure it can be used, hybrid can be interesting if it works well, but truth is, tab it is not needed. Action combat alone is enough. ;)
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    noaani wrote: »
    1 - 7
    Shift 1 - 7
    Alt 1 - 7
    Ctrl 1 - 7
    Right mouse, center mouse.

That is before the options of mice that have additional buttons on them - which are actually designed with MMO's in mind.

However, if you'd rather bind them differently, I've never come across a tab target MMO that doesn't allow for that.

That said, 30 skills is on the high end of what tab target MMO's offer - most are in the high teens to low twenties. I don't necessarily correlate number of abilities with complexity of a combat system - unless that number of abilities is 12 or lower.

A true competitive gamer wouldn't bind 1-7.
    Unless you're Shaquille O'neal, you would need to move your entire hand away from your resting hand position to access six and seven, and potentially displace at least one of your other fingers on 5.

This means you lose access to having your fingers aligned with other keys, makes combination key presses more difficult, you lose speed in having to move your hand, you lose some precision, and are prone to fat fingering (like with those MMO mouses someone else mentioned), while also slowing down your keypresses, which can cause you to float past global cool down frequently.

Also you gave an example of exactly 30. Often that's not enough.
    Let me give you an example of a Frost mage in WoW, 2019.

1. Frost Nova
    2. Blink
    3. Polymorph
    4. Conjure
    5. Ice Block
    6. Slow Fall
    7. Counterspell
    8. Time Warp
    9. Spellsteal
    10. Frostbolt
    11. Ice Lance
    12. Summon: Water Elemental
    13. Flurry
    14. Ice Floes
    15. Cone of Cold
    16. Icy Veins
    17. Blizzard
    18. Ice Barrier
    19. Invisbility
    20. Cold Snap
    21. Frost Armor
    22. Frozen Orb
    23. Ray of Frost
    24. Mirror Image
    25. Ice Nova
    26. Ring of Frost
    27. Frost Bomb
    28. Glacial Spike
    29. Gladiator's Medallion
    30. Temporal Shield
    31. Ice Form
    32. Trinket 1
    33. Trinket 2
    34. Miscellaneous armor active abilities (however many)
    35. Miscellaneous consumables (pots and stuff)
    36. Wand Attack
    37. Target enemy 1 (These are very important for spellsteal, target focus, counterspell, etc)
    38. Target enemy 2
    39. Target enemy 3
    40. Target enemy 4
    41. Target enemy 5
    42. Target Self (Icy Nova, other ally target abilities)
    43. Target ally 2
    44. Target ally 3
    45. Target ally 4
    46. Target ally 5
    47. Target enemy cycle (traditional tab target)
    48. Even more stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    @Robben DuMarsch I can not play without MMO-mouse anymore. It makes gaming and especially MMORPGs so much more easier to play. I have 20 button on my mouse, but I also use key combinations on top of that if needed. Now I do not need to use shift+ or ctrl+ combos when I can divide bindings on both hands, so I am faster this way. Small mouse buttons are weird at start, but with practise is starts to get more comfortable. If there is an option to customize UI and especially ability bars, then it is even more easier to build UI based on your mouse and keyboard.

I do not mind if there is 30 abilitites available, but like you, I prefer less. I am totally fine with 10 action buttons for example or even less like Albion has. Anyway, have you tested a MMO gaming mouse? If not, I can warmly recommend. ;)

I've considered it, but I can't imagine how many times I'd accidentally key press something wrong. My brother used to use one but switched back to traditional keyboard and a 7 button mouse, which I have also used. Pro players doing things like Starcraft 2 use it, so I suspect it's sound - I'm quite accustomed to tons of keybinds at this point, with lots of modifiers.

Some of my gaming buddies despise it with a passion, though.
    I like the way Albion handles it too, but even Albion is a bit simplistic :P - I'd very much enjoy an action combat game. Albion only keeps me around because of the great PvP opportunities.
  • Options
    whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    how about the healer ?

Action based combat healer done right.

Here is a video of a priest healing in Tera in one of the hardest dungeons in the game. This is my favorite type of combat, fast and fun! :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9Edpu2qnc
  • Options

I've considered it, but I can't imagine how many times I'd accidentally key press something wrong. My brother used to use one but switched back to traditional keyboard and a 7 button mouse, which I have also used. Pro players doing things like Starcraft 2 use it, so I suspect it's sound - I'm quite accustomed to tons of keybinds at this point, with lots of modifiers.

Some of my gaming buddies despise it with a passion, though.
    I like the way Albion handles it too, but even Albion is a bit simplistic :P - I'd very much enjoy an action combat game. Albion only keeps me around because of the great PvP opportunities.

A lot of equipment are based on personal opinions and experience and I can totally understand that someone does not like MMO mouse and its small buttons. In a bad situation you can easily press wrong buttons because of that. Even so, I have found MMO mouse as a QoL thing and especially in PvE situations. When I played Albion, I did not bind those attack buttons on mouse, because it was more effectice to use/spam Q,W,E on keyboard. So I think it also depends of the game where the MMO mouse really shines.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

A true competitive gamer wouldn't bind 1-7.
    Unless you're Shaquille O'neal, you would need to move your entire hand away from your resting hand position to access six and seven, and potentially displace at least one of your other fingers on 5.

This means you lose access to having your fingers aligned with other keys, makes combination key presses more difficult, you lose speed in having to move your hand, you lose some precision, and are prone to fat fingering (like with those MMO mouses someone else mentioned), while also slowing down your keypresses, which can cause you to float past global cool down frequently.
    A big part of a tab target MMO with a lot of binds is hand contortion.

I am able to reach any key bind up to 8, using any single modifier (and also using ctrl + shift), while still having full control of my character. rather than attempting to keep your three primary fingers on a, w, and d like players in a lot of other games do, a, s, d and f like people that do a lot of typing but don't think about gaming that much do, I simply keep my middle finger on the movement keys, and every other finger is free to float to where ever it is needed.

So, I use 1 - 8 and I have a mouse with 12 programmable keys. This gives me access to 20 unmodified keys to bind. Then add the three modifiers and it gives me another 60, for 80 binds in total. Then if I need more I have multi-modifier binds, though only ctrl + shift is really easily accessible. This gives me 100 potential binds that I have access to should I need that many.

Now, if I were to only use the binds on my mouse, it would free up my hand to be better able to use the other two multi-modifier binds (alt + ctrl and alt + shift). This means that if all I use are the 12 programmable
    buttons on my mouse, I still have 84 easily accessible binds.

Since almost all tab target MMO's have a casting queue (Archeage is the only one I know of that doesn't, though there may be more), this means that players usually have a full second in which to activate their next ability - 0.5 second cast time of the current ability, and 0.5 seconds from the GCD.

While there are some situations in which there is less time than that, these are all predictable situations where you will know what you will want to cast in less than a second - an in these situations setting up your keybinds in a logical manner for your build and the situations you will find yourself in is another of those skills that defines a tab target gamer.
  • Options

Action based combat healer done right.

Here is a video of a priest healing in Tera in one of the hardest dungeons in the game. This is my favorite type of combat, fast and fun! :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9Edpu2qnc

Way to hectic and spammy
    And its a small group compared to a raid.
    I rather spend my combat actually using my skills to avoid damage than running around dodging 99% of the time.
    Fun for me is executing a good strategy with a raid that uses their skills and rotations at perfect synchro rather than dodging and spamming 1-3 skills and mostly left mousebutton until enemy dies.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    Selo wrote: »
    I rather spend my combat actually using my skills to avoid damage than running around dodging 99% of the time.
    I don’t know how “using my skills to avoid damage” doesn’t involve getting out of the way of attacks, which is another way of saying “dodging”.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Tab-targeting hearkens back to the days of the old-school RPGs. Character stats influencing performance is a staple of any Role-Playing system where players can be anyone they can envision. Action combat systems require a level of input with a skill ceiling some players are not able to reach due to real physical limitations.

It's no surprise the most popular MMORPGs of the day are still using a tab-target system. World of Warcraft's Classic release numbers alone is proof that action combat is not as mandatory as some believe.
    if you come in here i will be forced to recog
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I don’t know how “using my skills to avoid damage” doesn’t involve getting out of the way of attacks, which is another way of saying “dodging”.

I actually agree with both of you here.

Getting out of the way of an attack is dodging, this isn't really something to debate.

That said, I would personally rather use skills in terms of character abilities. To me, an RPG, whether MMO or not, is all about what I build in to my character rather than what I - as a player - are or are not capable of.

In an MMORPG, I would rather have a button on my hotbar called "dodge" that I can use when I think appropriate instead of having to move the character - that is something I personally consider more appropriate for FPS type games.

Obviously Ashes should have both, and that's cool.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

I actually agree with both of you here.

Getting out of the way of an attack is dodging, this isn't really something to debate.

That said, I would personally rather use skills in terms of character abilities. To me, an RPG, whether MMO or not, is all about what I build in to my character rather than what I - as a player - are or are not capable of.

In an MMORPG, I would rather have a button on my hotbar called "dodge" that I can use when I think appropriate instead of having to move the character - that is something I personally consider more appropriate for FPS type games.

Obviously Ashes should have both, and that's cool.
    Sure, and plenty of MMOs have that. TERA Online, DC Universe Online, Secret World, Elder Scrolls Online, Neverwinter Online, and Guild Wars 2 all have a “dodge” button or equivalent. In many games you can also upgrade dodge, doing things like increasing movement speed after the dodge, lowering the dodge cool down, turning dodge into a teleport or damaging ability, etc. So it becomes part of character advancement and is tied in with the RPG part of the game. I can’t say AoC will have that, but I hope it will.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I think noaani ment a skill like "Dodge all attacks for the next 3 seconds" rather than a doubletapp of a keyarrow and a dodgeanimation.
    I prefer a skill aswell, and just move out of puddles with a sprintskill or teleportskill.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    torkel56torkel56 Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    "Action Combat" and Tab Targeting are like an ice cream sundae and beef stew. Both are good in their own right, but they shouldn't be mixed together. Instead of spending an extraordinary amount of resources trying to integrate and balance these two conflicting styles of combat, the dev team could instead find incredible ways to make players that don't want to aim and dash around through the air viable and effective too: They could put a lot of work into creating unique and powerful summoner abilities for the summoner class, where the AI does the fighting for you, give the Bard plenty of non-target large AOE abilities, make the tank viable with big cone attacks, and let the cleric channel leash abilities that don't require manual aim.

This has been a discussion since they announced the mixed idea.

I for one love how action combat works in Black desert. I can't stand the action combat they have in apoc..
    I also think that tab targeting can be done really good. When I heard they went for a mixed between the two, I thought it would be more like: A mage in wow, there you have to aim your blink and time your frost nova. Those are spells that ain't tab target.
  • Options
    WoW combat blows :P
  • Options
    Agreed.

Probably the worst example of tab target combat out there.

• Options
    JoselineJoseline Member
    edited October 2019
    "Dodge all attacks for the next 3 seconds"

Wouldnt that be kind of broken tho. If combat keeps the same pace as it has in Apoc, 3 seconds is a lot of time. I thought he meant things like "get iFrames for 0.5 seconds" at a 6 seconds cooldown or "counter every dodgable attack for 1 second" at a 2 second cooldown for tanks
    In BnS I learned that the Boss should idealy always point into only one direction midgame, so that everyone else in the group can DPS in peace and only dodge AoEs. Maintool for this were a few skills that had iFrames for 2 seconds at best (and the ones with longest iFrames had 45sec cooldown) and a counter skill with I believe 0.7 block (doesnt counter undodgable attacks) and 1 sec cooldown

Reading through the comments I get the feeling that most of the "pro tab target" people here have about as much clue of AC as AC people have about TT. Dont take that Tera priest gameplay as a prime example of how AC works
    All AC games I know of have some sort of block or counter skill altough all of them need proper timing
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Apoc has a dodge button, so it seems likely that the MMORPG will also have a dodge button as part of action combat.
    Super-jump is supposed to be class-based in the MMORPG. I would expect that to have some upgrades.
    Most likely, we will have the choices of character-based dodge, player-based dodge, both or even neither - depending on how each player likes to play.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Agreed.

I remember, when my guild and i were raiding, and our tank paladin tabs his targets, and suddenly throws his shield behind himself into another mob group xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    After playing so many tab target MMOs, I'm kinda bored of it. I want a similar combat experience to single player RPGs such as Dark Souls, Witcher and Skyrim etc. I'd be fine with BDO's combat but less spammy and more tactical with fewer AoEs.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Rostek wrote: »
    After playing so many tab target MMOs, I'm kinda bored of it. I want a similar combat experience to single player RPGs such as Dark Souls, Witcher and Skyrim etc. I'd be fine with BDO's combat but less spammy and more tactical with fewer AoEs.

BDO can do that because they dont have dungeons or raids. Other games have to think about such things like landing heals ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    Rostek wrote: »

BDO can do that because they dont have dungeons or raids. Other games have to think about such things like landing heals ;)

Not really. Same can be done with action. Only this time you'll need to aim the abilities instead of pressing the same buttons in order :)
  • Options
    @Rostek I played healer in dungeon, not in raid. Even in that situation, I had to check continuously my mates life, tried to find if I have time to cast a longer big heal or, I should do something fast. In dungeons I never run out of mana, but in raid if you do too much overheal, you can run out of mana.
    Usually the healer has to remove debuffs as well. Healer also have to position himself to avoid damage. These problems are greater in a raid. Healers do not pressing same buttons in order. They always react to the situation.
    I can't imagine that you can hit your target in proper accuracy when 24 people running around you who can block LOS of others. As a DPS if you miss the boss any time, no problem, you have another shoot. If a healer miss the low health target he does not have another chance, the party member dies. Additionally the players will try to avoid getting hit by the enemy, what inadvertently means the player try to avoid getting hit by healing.
    This can be avoided by different healing method, like AOE healing, or dropping healing bubbles or less/slower damage from the boss.
  • Options
    Agreed.

Actually it is really hard to find better.
  • Options
    whitedude31whitedude31 Member, Founder, Kickstarter

Way to hectic and spammy
    And its a small group compared to a raid.
    Fun for me is executing a good strategy with a raid that uses their skills and rotations at perfect synchro rather than dodging and spamming 1-3 skills and mostly left mousebutton until enemy dies.

LOL! The healer is using 6-7 skills, but I will give you the "spamming 1-3 skills and mostly left mousebutton" excuse since I only linked you a video of a healer (which was to prove action combat works really well for healers when done right). Consider the type gamer you must be, I won't scare you with a video of a lancer tanking the same dungeon. Your mind may explode. Jokes aside though, the hardest job in that dungeon is tanking. I mained a lancer tank and I cannot tell you how many hours I spent in that dungeon when it first released and how many clears it took before I could walk into that dungeon knowing I could clear it first try. That final boss is a nightmare, and I constantly cycle through abilities at certain times based on the moves the boss is doing. In Tera you have to manually block each time regardless of what tank you play (Brawler is sort of an exception because they have abilities that you can cycle through to make those block for you. It is WAY more active that you would think and has a skill ceiling on par with Dark Souls, it is just a much faster combat system.