Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #15 - Favorite & Ideal Classes

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    MakiiiMakiii Member, Phoenix Initiative, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've always played tanks in MMO's. They are generally more robust when solo running in the late game. Additionally it is easier to lead a raid as the tank.

My ideal class would be a mage tank. In every MMO they are either a gimmick or an off-tank or flat out underpowered and not worth the effort.
  • Options
    I’m not coping out here. I’ve played several MMORPGs and in each game my preference was different due to the design of the game and the classes. So...

It depends on the game.
  • Options
    Honestly, I'd prefer to see what roles are lacking on my server and play a character based on that. Nothing is worse than being dedicated to a role that's already over-supplied, and essentially having to play an mmo alone.
  • Options
    Holy Priest in WoW. Over the years it changed a lot, but as a healer I enjoyed the no nonsense raw power of the healing, and in the later expansions the flare. Healers rarely get kits that allow them to show off, but when you pop a group heal and your character starts floating into the air and glowing people realise it's you keeping them alive.

In regard to 'no nonsense power' a lot of healing classes have tried to get too nitty gritty. Always hated disc because bubbles are boring imo. Totems are boring, I want to do stuff myself. Traditional hp healing is an arms race between you and the enemy. So far I'm very pleased with what the cleric has listed in its abilities, a lot of raw traditional healing while still keeping it interesting with abilities like the group hp averaging.
  • Options
    I like having as many different classes as I have moods. Sometimes, I like to sit back and hit from afar, other times I like to be controlling a fight as a tank. I enjoy healing and support. I like DD roles where I can chain attacks, and also where I have to buff up in advance.

Throw whatever you have at me, and I'll happily try it all, providing I can have enough character slots! I've bought more characters slots in the majority of MMOs that I've played. I only regret that I won't be able to play all 64. :(

So, to answer your question: ALL OF THEM!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    PercimesPercimes Member
    edited October 2020
    Playing a different class is my endgame in most MMOs since I don't raid nor care that much about gear. I like to explore the different mechanic of classes. That being said, I usually go for hybrid classes or to spec for versatility. I tend to pick perceived under-powered classes, weird spec or deceptive class/race combo.

EverQuest: ranger and erudite shadow knight.
    DAoC: staff friar (oh the joy of wacking a troll who thought I was a caster), and cave shaman
    SWG: combat medic
    L2: treasure hunter
    EQ2: the rogue class that could stealth the group, didn't play long enough to be relevant
    WoW: more or less all classes but played mostly as a warlock, enhancement shaman and rogue (in classic)
    Kotor: Jedi sentinel
    WAR: witch hunter
    Rift: rogue
    GW2: rogue, but haven't for long

Lots of rogues in the list, but I don't know, much a melee combat thing I think.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    My favorite Game/class choices.

Destruction warlock/ World of warcraft in Wrath of the Lichking expansion.

Force master / Blade and Soul

Those are mostly blaster type classes but I truly love DoT/pet classes as well. I am really hoping the Shadowmancer will be all i could want of in a class lol. I recently came up with some spells that it might have so ill post those here.

Hungering Shadows- You animate the surrounding shadows to envelop the target, eating away at their very soul. The target takes damage over the next 15 seconds.

Combination ability:

Umbral Dagger- You throw out a shadowy dagger towards a target dealing damage, If the target has Hungering Shadows on them they take additional damage and spawn a shade minion to fight for you for the next 10 seconds.

Shade- A shade is a melee-based temporary summon that focuses targets marked with Hungering Shadows. Dealing damage to a target with Hungering Shadows will slow the target for a second.

This suggestion would be a small part of the whole but I felt it to be a neat little combination of abilities that combines the summoner and rogue aspects neatly.

I would also like to provide a different take on shadow magic and see if this peaks some interest for you.

Shadow magic is the manipulation of a mirrored force that mimics reality itself. A shadow is both natural yet ephemeral. Those who practice it's magic are able to blur the lines between reality and illusion, granting substance to shadows allowing them to manipulate the world around the caster. So basically, the shadow is a blurry mirror that shadowmancers can reach into and manipulate into reality for a time. Think of it like a combination between conjuration and illusion magic in dungeons and dragons.

If that was not clear enough i apologize. Please if you have any questions or confusion let me know.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu