Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #15 - Favorite & Ideal Classes

Comments

• Options
    iznebula wrote: »
    Throughout my experiences playing MMOs, I have always leaned more towards a mage, or a class that is able to control one or all of the elements, like Shaman/Mage from WoW, Bright Wizard,Magus in Warhammer Online. I would occasionally dabble in other classes like Warriors/Rogues etc....
    I used to be obsessed with spellswords as well. I do play them in RPG's but in MMO's they are usually such a bad combination that it's no point. They either do no damage because they have different scaling abilities while all other classes are min maxed for their damage, or we have to use different resources for our abilities, or our abilities don't have much synergy.
  • Options
    im late to this one but here goes x3

i love playing tanks and healers, filling the roles most ppl usually dont like to fill.

that being said, i am looking to do a petclass in ashes or otherwise a tank/healer as always^^
    (i just love being able to eat damage or to heal it away)
  • Options
    SeloSelo Member
    Protey wrote: »
    Mage that wields swords. Able to augment weapon, armor, and self with magic.

Ive played Asian mmorpgs where there are mages that have around 10 swords "floating" around them and the mage makes the swirl around and attack enemies. Looked quite awesome aswell.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A warrior cleric would be nice and I dont mean a meat shield or a healbot either. Give me my mace and a shield and a few spells to heal and deal with the undead and i would be more than happy as well as a stout warlock that can use a sword.
  • Options
    onyx215onyx215 Member
    edited April 2020
    Even though this post is waay late from the original date, i hope this can inspire some of you!

I have two different types of classes that i have always felt would be "Me" in an MMORPG, will try and describe them as best as i can below:

Battle-mage:

This mage is not your regular spellcaster, people will not ask for portals or conjured food from this particular person as they know he does not dable in those mundane arts...

What this person does is cause mayham on the battlefield! it is not common to see a spellcaster on the frontlines but when people see this one charging ahead of the pack with a magically enhanced sword, armor imbued with magics that makes him transparent to his enemies and a big ass arcane infused dragon scaled gauntlet that can destroy even the strongest castle walls with one punch they know he is where he belongs.

This "Mage" is what people call a true battle-mage.

Ranger:

There have been classes that take on the bow and shortsword, uses companions in combat but i have not really felt that the worlds that have introduced the Ranger/Hunter have given the class the care that it deserves.
    A person that does choose the bow over any weapon yes, but also lives up to the name "Ranger".

He has the skills to track down anyone and anything, he uses his vast knowledge of the world around him to accomplish any mission be it exploration, scouting, bountys or item collection, he gets the job done.

This person is self sufficient, uses skinning and leatherworking to create his armor, tracking and hunting to keep himself fed, his knowledge of lore and old histories have taught him some magics that allow him to surpass any common tracker or woodsman out there.

Being able to take on scouting missions for other organisations to scout out areas and provide tactical information, being the person that people seek out for knowledge on areas that are not well known to the common man.

I feel like i could keep on writing about these two for a long time but i do not really want to make a novel (At least for now ;) )
    Also i guess this was more a "Class fantasy" description then a description of actual abilities but i think its fun to imagine these types of things ^^
  • Options
    lelanilelani Member, Pioneer
    favorite_and_ideal_classes.gif?h=250

Dev Discussion #15 - Favorite & Ideal Classes
    What, so far, has been your favorite class to play across all MMOs? If you could play your ideal class, what would it be?

Keep an eye out for our next Dev Discussion topic regarding group-oriented activities!

Oh, I'm late to the party.

I tend to play healer a lot but my favourite/ideal class across all MMOs is anything pet related. Every game I've played that had such a class presented it differently but maybe the best portrayal for me would be a blend of Ultima Online and WoW Classic - I think that would be a good baseline.

Personally, I prefer a pet class that would have me roam the wilds to tame my pets. It excites me to think about adventuring solo or with friends to the ends of the world in search of a great beast to tame. I should then have to nurture the relationship with those pets by spending time with them and feeding them. They would not be expendable. Access to a stable so that I may have several pets to choose from would be nice too. Without a companion my "power" should be diminished, but having one with me is when I would shine. That is how I imagine a master of beasts.
  • Options
    AsagAsag Member
    My choice is " Battle Mage " melee class with two hand Spear.

Playstyle:

Melee attacks, focused on Attack speed, skills that are aoe, magic damage, single target CC.

https://youtu.be/MQSrEcqg8gA
    222f68aa4195eb681ab20d6ba1a8ad7c247496f1ac96fc155ad97f1e9603c0ca.gif
  • Options
    HiPotionHiPotion Member
    edited June 2020
    Hey Intrepid! Hopefully this discussion is still getting a once over! I think a common class that gets overlooked is an “Empire” themed one.

Inquisitor
    Magistrate

Classes that basically cut enemies down to size. A big inspiration would be FF12s Judges

tumblr_pbaxcomFwS1r5e508o1_400.png
  • Options
    I now this is an older post but, my favorite class is a nature oriented class that can heal. For example I really love the druid in WoW (all specs) and the healing aspect of the Warden in ESO.
    If a class uses nature as magic I will probably play it xD
  • Options
    Yay late for a ship :D I really like allround classes who can be a support dps and tank in all situations. From my mmorpg experience, I just can't pick one role I want to do it all
  • Options
    Stealth - Rogue - Assassin
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    I loved playing a Ranger in a MUD called Realm of the Dragon. It was fun having a bird companion that could do tasks for you.
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited July 2020
    Oportunistic melees with cc and mobility. Utility and sustain are welcomed.

-Stun lock assassins, finesse duelists
    Rogues WowBc/Tlk, Fiora.

-Offensive Tanks/Bruisers/Warriors
    War Prot Tlk, Jarvan.

-Multitasking Hunters micro-managing pets.
    Hunter/Beast Master WowBc/Tlk

• Options
    NesjaNesja Member
    My most enjoyable experience with a class in a mmo was my Shade in Anarchy Online.

It had very high dps, high evades and life leech. When well equiped this character became capable of evade tanking some of the hardest bosses in the game, though this was tricky because two unlucky consecutive hits and you'd be dead with endgame bosses.

The character was strong both in solo adventures as well as group content.
    In group content due to the extreme dps it could do when you could easily get behind a target (backstabbing and several damage perks that required you to be behind a target).
    In solo you could "dance" to get behind a character and you could swap some gear to go higher up on defensiveness to evade most hits. When you did get hit you had life leech perks to quickly heal up (% based on damage done).
    The character also had very high sneak so it could wander around insivisible to most npc and players (only those who had skill points in perception could spot you).
  • Options
    I am most excited about being able to play a necromancer again. I haven't properly enjoyed that class since the classic Everquest days.

I love DoTs. Having pets. Drains. Curses and the whole theme of a spooky mage.
  • Options
    I would like to see more monks in game or just different types of melee. We keep seeing rogue and warrior.
  • Options
    oh another necroed thread, Nagash would be proud.
    Deftly wrote: »
    I would like to see more monks in game or just different types of melee. We keep seeing rogue and warrior.

My main in a longstanding RPG is basically a Monk / Martial Artist type but the only Monk I've played in any type of online game is in Diablo 3, if that even counts. I loved playing him though.

Would love to see one added.

And I had the most fun playing a Friar in DAoC. I could be a good healer (not a great one though) but when needed I could go to town on someone with my trusty stick in hand. Being able to melee heal was awesome.

I guess I like being self sufficient and that's difficult to do if you can't easily heal yourself when solo.

isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    MalcMalc Member
    I've played healer over a vast number of MMO's. I particularly liked playing Sorceror Healer on Star Wars the Old Republic; the reason for this being that you could play hybrid and DPS, not particularly as well as one of the DPS specs but enough where you could hold your own in a prolonged fight.

In particular I enjoy having defensive cool downs such as bubble on Holy Paladin, it's especially something that I'd like to see for Cleric because with so many potential players in Siege combat I don't want to get one shot without adequate defensives'!

Having a good mixture of single target healing as well as group healing would be perfect, alongside large cool downs that we can time throughout various phases of fights. Having healers be somewhat unique from one another and thus having to spread out their cool downs appropriately has always made the PvE side of healing end game content fun, as you have actual need for healing officers as well as reasons to plan out the fight, which you otherwise can't do without those abilities :)
    kNfIFH6.gif
  • Options
    Ragnarok online
    The game had some of the most unique classes i have ever seen in gaming.
    (Note i will use Mana instat of SP for better understanding)

Professor
    The most unique of the classes in the game and i have not seen any other game have something like this.

The Professor short Prof was a support caster who was dubbed the Battery but many.
    While he could be speced into melee auto caster or ranged single target caster, most sages were skilled into support role.
    Skills were:
    (not all skills but the really good once)

-Soul Change
    (The Sage switches out his mana with that of the target. So if he had 500/1000 mana and the target 50/600 then the sage would have 50/1000 mana left while the target would be full of mana again.)

-Health Conversion
    (Converts 10% of your HP into Mana)

The combo of both spells with a healer support allowed a singel professor to keep the Mana of an entire raid going.

-Spell Breaker (This skill lets you cancel any skill with Cast Time.) (This made the Prof super anying to fight against for casters.)

-Dispell
    (Cancel all magical effects on target.) (So both possitiv and negativ effects would be removed.

Now the Spell of all spells for Guild vs Guild content
    -Land Protector (Shields an area from all area spells. Any skills that target the ground do not deal damage or do their effect. Also removes any area spells already placed in the area.)
    (The important note here is "Every spell" so friendly spells as well.)

During Castle wars most guilds would stand on their own Land Protector to shield them self from all the AoE while trying to cancel out the other guilds Land protector.
    There were so many Strategies involved into it.

Ahh what i would give to have something like this in AoC
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    DPS melee with mobility.
    Examples I've played are Sorceress in BDO and Darkrunner in AA.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    Lore-Master in LOTRO - The CC and debuffs I enjoyed a lot.
    Bear-Shaman in Age of Conan - I liked the the melee healer. My combos and attacks resulted in heals for my party.
    a34ad54277341e048554a1bf88ee6284.jpg

Heroes Fade but Legends last forever

• Options
    Sniper in SWTOR or Mentalist in DAOC. I loved their kits and playstyles.
  • Options
    My top 5 . 5.) warlock from DAoC during catacombs 4.) warrior priest from warhammer online 3.) warlock from world of Warcraft 2.) Loremaster from Lotro. #1) Blood elf Paladin from wow. I will be playing Paladin or highsword in AoC
  • Options
    Rogue or Mage Assassin's from Shadowbane, Rogue or Mage Bards from Shadowbane, and Acrobat Thieves from DDO.

Not just stealth and/or mobility but also a fair amount of utility as well.
  • Options
    I love mage. I also love a healer. I will probably end up trying out the acolyte.
  • Options
    I'm good with rogues that just jump in to kill, but I agree with some of the above about prefering not to just rotate skills.
    Also I would like a really good archery type and the mix of physical combat (ranger or not, I mean, melee and ranged type) with magic (from mages, priests, etc).
  • Options
    UlfUlf Member
    Ohhhh

I would love to see a Warlord / Dreadnought kinda class ( From Lineage 2 ) Heavy Armor and spear for AOE damage... Very slow, but tanky and lots of fun CC

And well... the elders, Elven Elder / Shilen Elder, each with their own profecy with different effects.
    The Elven Elder or Eva's Saint has a place in my heart. Fast Casting speed, Ok buffs, Good Mana Regen, And Medium Grade Heals.

FOeRqtf.jpg
  • Options
    Ideal class would have a combat role that plays out as follows; standing on a magic circle in the back lines flinging very long cast time high damage spells and dishing out carefully placed high damage AoE nukes.
  • Options
    I really enjoy non-standard healing, my favorite example recently is a discipline priest in world of warcraft where they focus more on damage prevention (providing temporary health buffs essentially) as well as healing through their dps spells as long as they keep their allies buffed.

I am excited for the potential of playing a Bard in AoC since my ideal class would probably focus on buffing, utility, healing and damage, like a jack of all trades with some unique things on top.