Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #15 - Favorite & Ideal Classes

Comments

• Options
    GruntagGruntag Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Deep down, my passion has always been playing a fighter type. I have really enjoyed a multi class, such as the cleric fighter magic user from the days of pen an paper, a combo warrior mage from ultima, to the death knight of old wow (haven’t played wow for 10+ years). Give me a sword, some heavy armor and a bit of the arcane.
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    A viable melee magic warrior.

To often in every game I play the melee magic warrior is weaker than a regular warrior despite having the same disadvantages of being in melee range and all the accompanying issues, and gets weaker magic powers despite having to confront and compete with the warriors in close proximity.

I dont want the melee magic to be have ranged casted attacks, I just want it to be a viable playstyle.

Hope this can happen as in ESO the closest thing is a magic dragonknight and if you play eso you know that stamina melee is superior to melee magic in just about every way due to the way CC, dodge mechanics, and block work. As well as the obvious damage differences
  • Options
    The common elements between my favorite classes tend to be DoTs, drains, and pets. Lots of warlock, necromancer, Elementalist (summoner) and hunter play + burn builds whether the game was EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot, Guild Wars 2, WoW, etc. The slow but assured death of dots and the versatility and soloing potential of pets always resonated. Plus having a pet makes soloing feel a little less lonely :wink:

That being said, I've dabbled in everything save healing. At the end of the day, the most fun classes were always the ones with balanced tool kits with a fair amount of strengths and weaknesses and decent complexity so skill was the final determinate factor in success. The best example that comes to mind is Feral Druid in Wrath. Arguable the highest skill caps required for any class at the time but it rewarded you if you could pull it off which was absolutely not a guarantee. That pairs with tons of layers between its ability to shapeshift into other specs let it perform at the top end but also react for off-spec purposes in an emergency.

DAoC had some of the more (most?) unique specs which really stand out. Having 45 unique classes, the level of innovation in MMO specs still isn't matched in my opinion. One class could cast 2 spells at the same time but all their spells took twice as long to cast. Another had the player become untargettable while the player cast through a puppet of sorts. The bonedancer was basically a necromancer that could summon other casters. At one point you could have multiple healer skeletons that, when paired with his life drains, made the player near-unkillable when out soloing. The list is long but overall while there were parallels, such as each realm having an archer of some sort, the bow-wielder in each realm still played differently in a material way.
  • Options
    Blood/Frost Death Knight- WoW
    Reaper Necromancer- GW2

Apparently I have a thing for tanky 2h swords and self healing with a flavor of dark magic.

I intend to play an Orc Paladin with a 2h sword.
  • Options
    RoblightRoblight Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shadowblade from archeage. The way I played it and why I liked it was that it offered high dmg, good mobility and some AOE CC. The class could essentially bring the dmg when needed, provide your group some CC to help disrupt the enemy group but also had enough mobility to work with for keeping you alive or chasing down targets.

Basically I always prefer playing with smaller groups and taking on larger groups. This means the class I am looking to play needs to have big dmg when needed, the ability to cause chaos in an enemy group as well as mobility to make plays. The class would be a high skill cap as knowing when and how to use the CCs, the mobility abilities to get into a fight or get out is what will make or break the class. Its about being able to read the flow of the fight and knowing what is the best action to do that will have the biggest impact. Is it using an AOE CC to set up a combo for a group member, do they need peels... is it using your mobility to get in and finish off a healer or dmg dealer. The class I am looking to play is the one that gives you enough tools to make things happen if you know what to do.
  • Options
    InixiaInixia Member
    edited August 2020
    probably Illusionist from EQ2, it was just really fun to play a mage class that delved so much in subtle advantage rather than direct dmg - crowd control, mana drains, buffing teammates, dots, pet mind games. Crowd control is fun in pve but difficult to balance in pvp though (and for raid bosses too I suppose without wider immunities). I recognize a lot of hard cc's (while they may take some skill to exact on your part) basically take the other player out of the game, and that's not fun to be on the end of. It doesn't prove much about the other player if they lose by something they can't react to. And pvp is really about proving something, not just winning imo. Not sure how to tread the line on that, a way to be balanced and still retain complex gameplay on both ends. From illusionist's end it really is fun though, being able to help control the battlefield and strike when you see an opening.
  • Options
    I like either mage type characters or support characters who don't focus soley on healing. I also like summon classes a lot. My ideal class would probably be a support character who can summon minions to do their damage or cause effects.

I'm planning on being a bard this time around though. I don't know what to look forward to because bards can change drastically depending on the game they in. As long as I get options as you would with a bard I think I will be pretty happy.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    The many flavors of wizards. I played for about a decade a wizard for a 3.5 DnD campaign and I love mages in general. Tied for second are Bards and Clerics.
    " What do you mean a book I cannot have?"
    - Frufire
  • Options
    TeamVASHTeamVASH Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My favorite class of all time was the World of Warcraft Warlock which was the closest thing to a survival vampire mage that I've ever experienced. This was the greatest gaming experience of my life <3
  • Options
    blackjack2525blackjack2525 Member
    edited August 2020
    I've played a lot of fantasy (MMO)RPGs with almost every class they had. The Buffer (Bard in this game) remains the only untouched class type for me, and that's what I'm going to try in this game's test phases. If it's good, I'll be dedicated to it, as I very much like the Shaman in WoW Classic with all his variety of buffs that he carries around in his bag yet being considered healer class mostly thus not counting as buffer class for me.
  • Options
    I wish to see some GUNSLINGER class in MMORPG.
    With dual pistols as DD build.
    With pistol+shield as TANK build.
    With pistol+dagger as HYBRID build.
    Something uniq like that because every MMORPG is just copying ARCHERS.
  • Options
    Always mained healing classes first. Loved it if they had a few more things to do but just healing, like CC or Buff-Shearing (like Dark Age of Camelot - Pac-Healer and Druid or Bard in LotRO).
    2nd Class was alway some sort of magical DD, preferrably AoE damage type (bombs+animist in DAoC) or sth like Necromancer (GW2).
    What we know so far about the archetypes/classes in AoC, i'm pretty sure i will find something to have fun with :p
    giphy.gif
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
    Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Skald from DAoC!! ( kind of bummed fighter+bard or vice versa wasn’t named skald🥺) retribution Paladin on wow. Thane in DAoC, I love hybrid classes really. But In AoC I plan on playing empyrean high sword or Paladin. CANT WAIT!!!
  • Options
    GroxGrox Member
    For PVP I really like playing Tanks with executes and who are very good at escaping and surviving. Who whittle targets down and out last them. Not a fan of using CC spam. Am of a fan of playing Tanks who have CC break, and/or resistant to CC and resistant to damage activates.
    Tank main, Rogue sub seems to be the class for that. I hope with adding Rogue it gives me mobility along with stealth to escape and survive. Along with bleeds and poisons to whittle someone down and isolate them. Ramping up damage over time. With an ultimate like Garen's from League Of Legends that executes someone below 25% health. Would be good at getting to the back line and messing with them. I would be tanky but still have to be focused at some point. Would be sooooo fun to play.
  • Options
    GroxGrox Member
    Blood/Frost Death Knight- WoW
    Reaper Necromancer- GW2

Apparently I have a thing for tanky 2h swords and self healing with a flavor of dark magic.

I intend to play an Orc Paladin with a 2h sword.

Sounds pretty cool. Yes I would also love to play a Tank in PVP with 2 handed weapon. Not be forced to use sword and shield.
  • Options
    Druid!!! Druid druid druiddd :smile: .
    Absolutelly my favourite one, i love it soo much.
    Why? it's the nature made into a class, nature magic and spirits ... it's as important as the mage is, or probably more :smile: ... i feel an empty space inside when the druid miss into any mmorpg...
    Hunter-druid ... beast master class :smiley: , Druid-hunter .. feral druid? xD or just ranger . Oh right you already called the archer with the ranger name :confused:

@arodicus
    arodicus wrote: »
    I love playing the healer. Managing life pools while dealing with mechanics is lots of fun and can be challenging

The healer is not a class dude xD . Do you like a priest or a mage or a druid or ... :tongue: .
    If you like to heal you will be forced to like priests, bards, druids, shamans, paladins and some more. Those usually are the healers of most of the mmorpg .
  • Options
    I loved Treasure Hunter in Lineage II - that sound of critical strike of my precious +9 Dark Screamer dagger was so satisfying :D Another would be Cardinal(healer), Necromancer and Warcryer with life leech was very fun to play.

Then Psyjic skill line in ESO was something different and fun to play. Portals, time traveling...nice!

But I am already excited for Apostle class in AoC. I imagine Tank with some healing dots, raising his sword or trident to the sky and use divine power to heal :D
  • Options
    DemidreamerDemidreamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    SWTOR- sage/sorcerer- I ran a hybrid spec of majority dps over a minor in healing, CC and Utility.

Having a feeling that Acolyte is my class of choice.
  • Options
    Just let me fight something close to this level of fighting as a melee magic warrior.

https://youtu.be/QtlvI2HC0zk

I like magic but I also like the up in your face combat style.
  • Options
    Maybe not the performance part of the above video but the gameplay like that would be great.

Unfortunately ESO's performance has gotten worse even though they've removed so many aspects of gameplay it just keeps getting worse lol
  • Options
    I love playing highly mobile melee classes but I am usually terrible at it. My ideal class is a highly mobile spear/staff melee character with short range dashes/teleports. Normally those types of characters are glass cannons and I will get destroyed so I must be a glutton for punishment.
  • Options
    When i started playing MMOs over a decade ago i played strictly healer/cleric roles. Originally i played healer because i understood their utility in party play and figured there cant be anything worse than partying with a healer that fails to keep party members alive. After 4-5 years of playing healer i realized perhaps the only thing worse than having a lazy healer was having an incompetent tank that doesn't hold agro. This lead to me making tank alts and eventually playing them rather frequently, not because i preferred it but because it was necessary.

My one true love is bard however, which is rather unfortunate because in many MMOs these are considered "luxury" classes and many parties aren't interested in sacrificing dps for versatility. In one game particularly even if i could find a party people would consistently insist that I play a pure cleric/priest as opposed to bard, even if we already had a healer because the bard class was widely considered inferior. This could be partially due to players not understanding the role of bard and having bad experiences with bards they may have played with in the past but I first hand know how hard it can be as a healer to keep players alive, or as a tank to keep yourself alive, so it always kinda made me feel like man, you guys don't know what your missing.

I have actually never had a more engaging party experience than being able to assist those roles by increasing their heals effectiveness or improving that tanks def or even the dpsers damage depending on what is most important at any given time. It requires a fundamental understanding of each party role as well as effective positioning to ensure your aoes can reach many members without putting oneself in danger. Many games make claims that the bard is a pivotal role, and can sway the tides of battle, but when it come to actual gameplay they are wildly undervalued. I am really hopeful that this will not be the case in ashes of creation

really looking forward to soul weaver (bard/cleric)
  • Options
    BirthdayBirthday Member
    edited September 2020
    noxavian wrote: »
    NECROMANCERS.

Lastly I'd like to mention vampires. I really, really think AoC could benefit massively from having these "subclasses" that are attractable by other players or mobs in game. Like a vampire subclass, werewolves, etc. Especially in a game that is as deep as AoC, my dream would be to one day see a system like this in place. I really love how ESO does this, but I feel like the devs haven't given it much credit. Literally no other MMO lets players infect other players with a possible subclass or lets you change your playstyle based on a subclass you get from the world itself. Liches, vampires, werewolves, even hunter/church organizations with unique abilities to them could be cool.

I like the idea of subclass which you get from joining a organization. Not a big fan of werewolves and vampires tbh but sounds viable as long as it's not op. I dont know how it's done in ESO but being a vampire or a werewolf in the single player ES games was really op.

I am thinking more in the lines of like for example:

Joining the dwarf hunter's guild or whatever and by leveling up your reputation with them you gain a explosive augment to one of your hunter spells and creates like a explosive arrow

Joining the Elven hunter guild gives you a passive ability to shoot 20m farther (which would mean you wont have to calculate the drop-off when using your bow so much)

etc. etc.

I've always found it annoying how there are big-shot mage, rogue, hunter, paladin, warrior factions but none of them give you anything meaningful for your class when you grind rep with them. They should be able to give you something meaningful, because for them to be such big-shots they probably have a secret or two they are not telling people about and differences on how they wield their weapons, or the stance they take etc.
  • Options
    Love playing healers - hate leveling healers - dps is usually so low against regular content that it becomes grindy and not in a good way. I do like when healers are less weapon locked so you can equip a different weapon and put the smackdown on mobs. This was one thing ESO did right in my opinion.
  • Options
    My favorite class is a hybrid non-plate physical ranged (bow) / melee (sword and shield). Hearkens back to a 2nd Edition PnP (Ranger). The playstyle engages from a distance, dispatching what you can before jumping into melee. Not as effective as a pure archer, not as beefy as a pure tank, with a little bit of stealth - just enough to solo content and survive exploring the wilds.

Some MMO examples:
    • ESO S&B/Bow combo
    • GW2 Warrior (this leans toward the plate tank, but at least gave me a sword & shield/longbow combo)
    • Wow Classic Warrior (again plate specific – after 40, but I could use a bow to pull mobs – I honestly would have found a hunter that could use a shield ideal)
    • DAoC Scout
    • V:SoH Warrior
    • EQ2: Swashbuckler
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I play any think, my favourite type has been rogue and mage.
    Also have had some very funny moments while playing healer with friends.

This time round i'm going for "GLORY" ,not going into detail's at this point, but let's just say it rhymes with "STANK"
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
  • Options
    My favorite class to play across all MMO's would be the Blade Master from Blade & Soul. I love the visual effects of Flock of Blades and it's adjacent skill sets.

A fun, though not optimized class was the Enforcer (BattleRage, Sorcerer, Auramancy) from ArchAge. It was fun being able to throw a fireball for AoE mass damage, then slow spell as they approached you while picking at them, slice them up with a sword when they got close enough, Blink back when they telegraphed a big attack, and rinse and repeat.

My ideal class would be the equivalent of Irelia from LoL in a MMORPG. Having floating blades doing multiple strikes while fighting up in a monster's face, dashing or dodging big attacks, or doing a whirl of blades in a blender like style. I'm hoping that the Bladecaller will scratch that itch!
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    My favorite class to play has been Scholar in FFXIV. It's a healing class that uses a book as a weapon and has a fairy companion that has its own set of OGCD abilities. The storyline for the Class quests was also adorable and amazing.
  • Options
    I love to be in the support role in most games. Healer is usually my main. Sometime I go full heal (i like that a lot), and sometimes shield and heal combination, although I also like a lot movement and dmg buffs.
    But what I like the most and is extremely rare is the utilitary role. Blinding enemies, making my self invisible, disguising an allie so he can infiltrate himself in the enemy site, stunting or silencing.
    I think a bard with some of these would be an amazing combo, and a fresh idea for mmo's "utilitary".
  • Options
    Ill would defently main as a shadowmancer and idlike to see the differnce between them & necros,
    It will be very intresting to see not only zombies and skeletons
    Looking forward to see how its gonna turnout.