Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What worries you the most about the project?

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    insomnia wrote: »
    Ventharien wrote: »
    I'm a Pve player, but i'm not so certain about the pvp statement. There is a reason where there are pvp servers for some mmo's. It just sucks for those of us that don't care for open world pvp. Hopefully the corruption system will do something towards this. Plus i highly doubt they will make both types of servers, due to the corruption system. Plus Steven has said several times 'risk vs reward'.

I also fear the open world dungeons. I think it will be a shitfest. People running in dungeons, killing people why they are fighting a boss, just to be a-holes. You just know some will do it. Those losers that can only get their kick, when they ruin it for others

Valid points. But think also of the possible community engagement this opens up. Guard groups/guilds, Nodes ( as in the people of a node) being involved in people doing dungeons. Having non instanced dungeons isn't a new concept after all. It's actually a pretty old one.

And things change/evolve.
    Staic wrote: »
    Non Instanced Dungeons, you mean like how L2's entire world except 4 sepulchers and festival of darkness was open world - open pvp. And that game was bloody fantastic until various reasons killed it (bots for one).

Get your group set, run down to DVC, wipe the group that is already there and take their spot. Get your grind on and wait for them to come back.

People are cuddled in too much tissue paper these days. Grow some balls and fight for what you are doing.

'Grow some balls'. What does have to do with anything. If i'm fighting a boss and someone attacks my group. 'growing some balls' wouldn't help at all. You can't be to bright with such a statement. Plus some of also have a life and don't have time to play all day long

Mmorpgs require devotion of time.

to hardcore mmo's seem to fail, don't they? So because i have a life, i can't play an mmo. That seems ridicules. I'm not saying 2 hours a week is enough. But people got a job, study. Have friends, family, a parter. Do sport etc

There are plenty casual mmorpgs out there.
    AoC wants to do things old style, since that's what the players have been asking for for 10 years.

I barely have time to play a proper mmorpg with work and going back to uni.
    Do you see me trying to shift the blame and trying to make things work for my precious self?
    No.

If I dont have enough time for AoC, a proper mmorpg, Ill go back to instances dungeons and BGs, like ESO or Tera. I wont QQ "I have a life, make this game like the rest of the market"

I support the current vision. I got a $500 pack because I cant wait to play a proper mmo. If it doesnt work out FOR ME , it's my fault.

This is a topic about what worries you about the game. I just said what worries me about it. Just because you don't share my oppinion, dosen't it mean you have to be an a-hole about it. I'm not crying over it, you trying to change it to "my precious self". It is BS to write that, and only brings negative debates. I can tell you are just an a-hole that can't handle other people have a different oppinion as you. See, the 2 people below you did a proper response to it. It is partly because of toxic people like you, i stopped going to forums, because i didn't want to waste my time, getting into arguments.
    But for me, it proberly isn't so much about time, now that i think about it. But more that i'm not a PvP player I'm a pve player.
    But i think this topic has sidetracked. I don't think it was intented to debate about these things, but more just a place where people could write what they were worried about.

You take things to the extreme. You are the second person out of the many that I have disagreed to start labelling me. Chill
  • SeloSelo Member
    That FPS and hack and slash players will have to much influence on the game.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Lack of Immersion. I wager I'm not the only one in this camp but definitely in a minority.

I've played several different MMORPG games over the years and what draws me in or pushes me away from each respective title is the game's world design, character creator and class fantasy. That is to say that my choice of who, what and how I play the game matters more than whether or not if I'm more like to get a spot in the raid or a guild.

For example, one of my favorite MMO games was Star Wars: The Old Republic. When the game launched I rolled a Smuggler, basically the game's rogue archetype for the uninitiated. My favorite part about the game was that it really made me feel like I was playing a lone wolf criminal with a heart gold, completely quests outside my class specific story arc using stealth, cunning and subterfuge rather than just killing everything and anything just for experience points.

Naturally I'm afraid that the immersion factor will take a backseat like it has in other modern titles where the focus is solely narrowed to fast-pace gameplay rotations; quests, leveling and combat that the game won't appeal to someone like me who just wants to be able to take in the world while at the same time, have the world take in me.

That is to say, have the world react to my choices, beyond nodes and world events triggering, but rather be able to solve quest objectives creatively based on my character choices. Like sneaking to an objective rather than fighting my way to it or something.

Going back to my SWtOR example, what turned me away from that game was a lack of immersion outside the combat and questing, earlier in its life cycle, you never felt more like a character than you did a player... if that makes sense.
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I worry since 8K TVs are becomming less rare that by the time it comes out we will wish it was done in 8K :P
    But in reality I just found out about this game a couple days ago and more than anything I want them to finish so I can play.
  • CankiieCankiie Member
    edited July 2020
    The Cash Shop worries me the most.
    Even if it is just cosmetic.
    A large part of any RPG related videogames, is the visuals you can put on your character, to make them look cooler the more they grow.
    A cosmetic shop is most likely going to hinder that for the sake of earning additional cash, more so in times of desperation when people start leaving the game for whatever reason. The gear you'll get in game will get continueously ugly, making you more inclined to pay additional money beyond what is reasonable for the sake of making your character look cool.

I'd much rather have a box price of 60 dollars, or less, whatever is needed to make up for the loss in developement plus a little extra, and a sub fee, although it seems to have been common courtesy to offer 1 month free sub with the box price. Rather than risk the very, very likely future that I described... and that is the best case scenario.

The more likely reality is that the game is going to turn Pw2; the cosmetic shop sets the stage for this likely result.

A better "cosmetic only" cash shop with a subscription fee... would be what Blizzard provide. Sell mounts and mini-pets, not cosmetics designed to be worn by your character.
  • MontixMontix Member
    to start off: I have not followed this project at all. I've only heard about it from time to time, but the little bits and pieces that I've been told makes this game seem very promising. however, as an addict of MMOs and video games in general, I would just like to add my 2 cents.

the one thing when it comes to video games (other than p2w) that worries me, is that character movement will be overlooked and not polished enough. this is by far the one thing that can absolutely destroy any type of interest for me if not done correct.
    by correct I mean nice, snappy, and precision movement. wow is a perfect exacmple of this where you have absolute control of your character, and moving around just feels so good and non-interruptive. the way a character moves and holds itself is also very important, and this is something that wow nailed perfectly with their older models. there isnt much exaggeration or unnecessary movement, instead I would say its pretty minimalistic, and has a natural feel to it.
    another game that nails movement just right is Horizon Zero Dawn. its not a game I have played a tonne, I only played it a few times at a friends place, but the one thing I really loved and noticed straight away, was how good and fluent it felt moving around with the character, and I really wish more studios would put more time and effort into this very core mechanic of the game.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Cankiie wrote: »
    A large part of any RPG related videogames, is the visuals you can put on your character, to make them look cooler the more they grow.
    A cosmetic shop is most likely going to hinder that for the sake of earning additional cash, more so in times of desperation when people start leaving the game for whatever reason. The gear you'll get in game will get continueously ugly, making you more inclined to pay additional money beyond what is reasonable for the sake of making your character look cool.

I'd much rather have a box price of 60 dollars, or less, whatever is needed to make up for the loss in developement plus a little extra, and a sub fee, although it seems to have been common courtesy to offer 1 month free sub with the box price. Rather than risk the very, very likely future that I described... and that is the best case scenario.

The more likely reality is that the game is going to turn Pw2; the cosmetic shop sets the stage for this likely result.

A better "cosmetic only" cash shop with a subscription fee... would be what Blizzard provide. Sell mounts and mini-pets, not cosmetics designed to be worn by your character.

@Cankiie What I would suggest, if this is how you feel - is to just make the decision that Ashes has a box price on top of the subscription fee - and also that there are costs associated with DLC.

Then, instead of buying the box and buying the DLC, you can put that money towards embers. This will give you enough money in the cash shop to buy anything that really catches your eye.

In terms of the likelihood of the game turning P2W - I would say the chances of that are near zero.

Most games that do this are a result of pressure being put on the developer and/or publisher from shareholders. All they care about is the bottom line, and they are happy to destroy a product in order to get a bit more money out of it sooner.

Intrepid doesn't have shareholders. It is owned by one person, and that person happens to hate P2W games as much as we do.
  • CankiieCankiie Member
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    Cankiie wrote: »

@Cankiie What I would suggest, if this is how you feel - is to just make the decision that Ashes has a box price on top of the subscription fee - and also that there are costs associated with DLC.

Then, instead of buying the box and buying the DLC, you can put that money towards embers. This will give you enough money in the cash shop to buy anything that really catches your eye.

In terms of the likelihood of the game turning P2W - I would say the chances of that are near zero.

Most games that do this are a result of pressure being put on the developer and/or publisher from shareholders. All they care about is the bottom line, and they are happy to destroy a product in order to get a bit more money out of it sooner.

Intrepid doesn't have shareholders. It is owned by one person, and that person happens to hate P2W games as much as we do.

Certainly... I might have enough, for the first few items that comes along. Evidently, there will be far more focus on fixing the game following actual release, rather than create and add new stuff to the cash shop, so the output in the beginning won't be there just yet.

I understand people on this site are excited for the game, all hyped up (I am too) and incredibly defensive about it (but never this). But, personally, I will never... ever... forget that the cash shop is in there, to earn additional money, it may even exist alongside the sub fee to cover wages, servers and continued developement of the game.

I don't really fail to understand their position as a business, rather, I would argue people fail to understand how such a business works. The risk of the cash shop going overboard, are high... very high, when it comes to cosmetics and pay2win items.

Which is why the route of selling only mounts and mini-pets is a far better option. People will still pay for those, and everything that is cosmetic can be added to the game to be earned by playing the game.

A mount is just transportation, nearly only visible whenever you have to traverse greater distances. A cosmetic item is your character's look, something that helps define your character, and you will always see it.

A cash shop exists to sell stuff... you and I are aware of this I hope. If it doesn't, the game will be designed to make the cash shop sell stuff. In case of cosmetics only cash shops, eh, give the players some ugly armours throughout the game, if they want their characters to look nice and awesome, have them give us money.

It is why a game such as Assassin's Creed: Odyssey was such a disgrace too. It did not have as terrible a cash shop as Assassin's Creed: Origins, but the cash shop was there for one specific goal... to sell items. It sold EXP buffs.

Guess what that resulted it... it resulted in a game that was level-gated, the exp gains hampered, it was slowed down to become an insane grind... why? Because the cash shop is added to sell stuff.

Now, mounts can be a problem if they are not at all obtainable in game, mind you, and only sold in a cash shop. Which is why I said that Blizzard's World of Warcraft cash shop example is the better. Disregarding the other services they offer, but if we are to talk strictly cosmetically; the mounts and mini-pets.

Some people value mounts a lot, but as I explained earlier, they are mostly just transportation, a A-B usable items. It is not something that will be on your character even 35% of the time... when you play the game, you can always AFK on a mount somewhere safe :|

No, I don't really care too much about what a person says in regards to his or her feelings about microtransactions. Your actions define you far more than your words, and I do have a very... very bad feeling about these cosmetic cash shops.

Remember... it was said that Fallout 76 would only have cosmetics in their cash shop.

For the record, I don't just dislike P2W cash shops, I dislike cash shops in general. Some I can tolerate to an extend, but most examples are atrocious. I see cash shops as the bane of video games. A game will be designed the cash shop in most cases, that makes for a poorer quality for the consumer, this have been historically correct so far. Cash shops are largely unnecessary; obviously if online servers are required to play and are provided by the owners, then they need to pay for that and need a steady income for this.
  • BobbyBickBobbyBick Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Scope Creep and unrealistic expectations from the gaming community without being shut down from the studio, another No Man's Sky situation.
  • Combat - Obviously the biggest selling point of any game, Im not going to judge it too much off of pre-alpha footage, Im just hoping it will be easy to learn hard to master , and fluid.

One of my biggest worries is Intrepid sticking to their vision, I already see people coming in, trying to push an agenda to suit their playstyle. Its especially annoying when there are so many mmo's out there that have done just that, and these players get a game changed for the worst to hop on to the next game.

Classes- Just hoping that the class system offers alot of diversity and the augments truly change the base classes.
    edited July 2020
    Combat - Obviously the biggest selling point of any game, Im not going to judge it too much off of pre-alpha footage, Im just hoping it will be easy to learn hard to master , and fluid.

One of my biggest worries is Intrepid sticking to their vision, I already see people coming in, trying to push an agenda to suit their playstyle. Its especially annoying when there are so many mmo's out there that have done just that, and these players get a game changed for the worst to hop on to the next game.

Classes- Just hoping that the class system offers alot of diversity and the augments truly change the base classes.
    Were you in Rift early beta? They actually had a tv commercial "We're not in Azeroth anymore" and yet in I think it was beta 4 a few hundred thousand wow fans came over and got it dastically changed tword wow.
    They even got the way Rifts worked completely nerfed. This happens in all MMOs when you pull players they come and they bring comments on what they want.

• Aardvark wrote: »
    Were you in Rift early beta? They actually had a tv commercial "We're not in Azeroth anymore" and yet in I think it was beta 4 a few hundred thousand wow fans came over and got it dastically changed tword wow.
    They even got the way Rifts worked completely nerfed. This happens in all MMOs when you pull players they come and they bring comments on what they want.

I was super hyped for rift but I ended up finding a game called darkfall and never looked back, but it doesnt surprise me in the least, its something I dont understand, you have a game already why change something that is trying to be different in a market that is desperate for some creativity.
    Aardvark wrote: »

I was super hyped for rift but I ended up finding a game called darkfall and never looked back, but it doesnt surprise me in the least, its something I dont understand, you have a game already why change something that is trying to be different in a market that is desperate for some creativity.

Simple math which is more money 100% of your small audience or 60% of your small audiance plus 10% of a huge audiance so big it's hard to even put a # on how many people are in it? And that is why almost all games change once they start pulling in people from other games.
  • Aardvark wrote: »

Simple math which is more money 100% of your small audience or 60% of your small audiance plus 10% of a huge audiance so big it's hard to even put a # on how many people are in it? And that is why almost all games change once they start pulling in people from other games.

Short term Im sure you are right, but long term when all the game hoppers jump onto the next title to bring their ideas to another dev team to become failure and follow many other games to the mmo graveyard.
    I at least have hope for ashes in this regard though just because of stevens background and the fact he funded the game himself with no suit overlords.

Fingers crossed I guess.

Short term Im sure you are right, but long term when all the game hoppers jump onto the next title to bring their ideas to another dev team to become failure and follow many other games to the mmo graveyard.
    I at least have hope for ashes in this regard though just because of stevens background and the fact he funded the game himself with no suit overlords.

Fingers crossed I guess.

As long as he doesn't pull a star citizen I am content to see where he takes this
  • FathymFathym Member

That's not really an issue anymore. Back when Rift started up, WoW was a monolith in the market and it seemed like everything Blizzard touched turned to gold. This made it very difficult to not at least try to emulate them. Now everything Blizzard touches turns into a flaming pile of garbage and the remaining players still clinging on to the sinking ship are desperately looking for any new MMO to save them from the wreckage.
  • BobbyBickBobbyBick Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really liked a lot of the things RIFT did, I wish their version of a TLP/Progression server hadn't had so many issues because it's a game I'd love to revisit in these dry times.
    BobbyBick wrote: »
    I really liked a lot of the things RIFT did, I wish their version of a TLP/Progression server hadn't had so many issues because it's a game I'd love to revisit in these dry times.

In early beta when the rifts grew and grew and took out whole towns and the only way to get your town back once that happened was to have an army come take it out...that was far far better then the super nerfed version we ended up with. Rifts would literally take out quest hubs for days if you didn't get a bunch of people to take it out.
  • Blizzard does not provide a 'cosmetic only' cash-shop. You can buy character boosts and gold as well. It doesn't get much more p2w than that.
  • Combat - Obviously the biggest selling point of any game, Im not going to judge it too much off of pre-alpha footage, Im just hoping it will be easy to learn hard to master , and fluid.

Seeing that IS, but mainly Steven, isn't budging on the core design of AoC; I'm not really all that worried about this becoming another WoW. He's stated many times he's tired of how many of the MMOs we have on the market now are utter shit, and follow the same design WoW popularized. This is for the players who enjoyed games like SWG, Lineage 2, really any sandbox type MMO, but there are themepark elements in there as well for players that are fond of it.

They're their time with this game, and want it to be a ready as possible when it eventually launches. Listening to the community, and making decisions that will benefit the core design of the game. I'm sure more things will be fleshed out or even tweaked once Alpha-1 drops and people get their hands on it, and HOPEFULLY give GOOD feedback.

I will say this though, my biggest worry is they continue to work on this game when it's good to go for launch, keeping it still in a Beta state or such. I know they want to make it meet their needs, but I hope they don't end up getting that perfectionist mentality on it; we don't want another Star Citizen.
  • Blizzard does not provide a 'cosmetic only' cash-shop. You can buy character boosts and gold as well. It doesn't get much more p2w than that.

Very true.

Hence why I spoke in regards to cosmetic cash shops only, in which blizzard have the right idea. Mounts and mini-pets are cool enough to sell as a cosmetic option in cash shops. Armour, clothing and such are not; those should be 100% available through gameplay, be it dungeons, raids, crafting or whatever a MMORPG will include.

I generally disagree with the boosts, here is to hoping they'll remove it with Shadowlands when leveling is going to be faster than it is right now, thus marking the boosts completely unnecessary. One thing is for sure, blizzard is not using the cash shop or creating a game around it for it to sell; which I applaud them for.

As for selling gold. I do wish to see a solution that does not provide a double edged sword to dealing with gold sellers. Blizzard sells gold in the form of the WoW token, true, but they have also largely gotten rid of gold sellers. But I don't like this selling of gold either.

Mount sand mini-pets, I want a cosmetic cash shop to be left with those two things only. Granted, with mounts and mini-pets still also being available to be earned just by playing the game.

But at the end of the day, I will never truly trust a game that relies on it's cash shop to earn an income. It has been proven, and it will most certainly be, disastrous, and WoW will remain the top MMORPG due to it's game not revolving around the cash shop for income.

Game developers of a game that revolves around a cash shop for income, will not be incentivized to keep a game that'll be engaging and fun, the cash shop will need to sell.
  • forshforsh Member
    I played EverCrack from 2000-2007 and WoW from 2008 until last year. Both of those games have changed into completely different games that make me regret my time investment. I've been looking for an MMORPG similar to the Golden Age MMORPG-type like early EverQuest and World of Warcraft. I've been following Pantheon since 2015 but it almost seems that will never be released, New World is pushed back into 2021...and I just ran into Ashes of Creation. I'm new here but my immediate worry is that this will be an MMORPG that never gets released because almost no large-scale MMORPGs are released anymore and the excuse I always see in communities is that World of Warcraft killed everything else. I disagree. World of Warcraft died years ago and nothing rose up for players to move over to. There are millions of disenfranchised players that just had nowhere to move to that was worth their time. Hopefully this MMORPG doesn't disappoint. If you build it, they will come....
  • edited July 2020
    forsh wrote: »
    I played EverCrack from 2000-2007 and WoW from 2008 until last year. Both of those games have changed into completely different games that make me regret my time investment. I've been looking for an MMORPG similar to the Golden Age MMORPG-type like early EverQuest and World of Warcraft. I've been following Pantheon since 2015 but it almost seems that will never be released, New World is pushed back into 2021...and I just ran into Ashes of Creation. I'm new here but my immediate worry is that this will be an MMORPG that never gets released because almost no large-scale MMORPGs are released anymore and the excuse I always see in communities is that World of Warcraft killed everything else. I disagree. World of Warcraft died years ago and nothing rose up for players to move over to. There are millions of disenfranchised players that just had nowhere to move to that was worth their time. Hopefully this MMORPG doesn't disappoint. If you build it, they will come....

Welcome, brother. Wallow with us in pain, and hype.

I'm in a similar boat. Ultima Online and Everquest were my jam, and once they changed(died, to me) I've been wandering the gaming world, lost and unsatisfied for about 15 years now.

The PvP of UO and Everquest is what I loved. On EQ I played Sullon Zek. No lvl restriction, good vs evil vs neutral, 1 item dropped on death if an honorable kill. Loved it.

I had some brief glimpse of happiness in ArcheAge.
    But the p2w aspect disgusted me and the god awful lag made PvP unbearable (no OCE servers, yuck)
    ... Also wasn't a fan of the art-style but it sort of grew on me after I found some really nice costumes!
  • In reply to OP, I'm concerned about class balance. With so many potential combinations of archetypes, I have my worries.

Also concerned about lack of damage meters.
  • Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My only concern with this game is if the developers have gotten too caught up in their own hype and are trying to do too much for the launch of this game. I worry that they become overwhelmed by the magnitude or run out of funding trying to create all these systems.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • My only concern with this game is if the developers have gotten too caught up in their own hype and are trying to do too much for the launch of this game. I worry that they become overwhelmed by the magnitude or run out of funding trying to create all these systems.

I'm comforted by the fact that many of the devs on the team are veterans from respected studios. If they were a team of new devs, I would be concerned.
  • LoyhetaLoyheta Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm afraid cash shop prices are going to be too high and I'm not going to buy them on principle. I want to buy things because I already have lifetime subscription but I don't think anything should be above 10 bucks
    Referral Code: KRIFFNYDUZV6L9SF
  • FathymFathym Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm afraid that the cosmetic only cash shop will slowly take away from the visual progression present in the game. One of the core aspect that makes many people want to invest time into an mmo is the visual progression as they get stronger. If the cash shop cosmetics turn out to look better than the in-game armors, that would ruin a major incentive for many players.
    I'm also a bit worried about the combat because ApoC was mediocre at best.
  • LoyhetaLoyheta Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Azryil wrote: »
    armando wrote: »
    I'm worried the game won't come out and quite frankly I had forgotten about it until I saw Asmongold talking about it in a new WoW livestream highlight video of his, so I came back to see if I still had my account.
    I really hope that guy doesn't decide to play and bring his rabid cult of 12 year olds with him....

Those people are in all games already. I think Asmongold is a very intelligent guy who has great insight on things. I'm pretty disheartened to see people acting like this.

If any large streamer joins this game they will bring with them a bunch of toxic people. It is what happens, trolls go to large targets to get the most attention. If someone becomes a big streamer from streaming this game... they will become a target as well. If he decides to play this offstream or on his alternate streaming channel it won't be that bad.

Just really want to emphasize how disappointed with how xenophobic people are being. Especially to people that are bringing a lot of positive attention to the game and helping with the funding.
    Referral Code: KRIFFNYDUZV6L9SF