Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What worries you the most about the project?

124»

Comments

• BrocknarBrocknar Member
    edited July 2020
    I used to be a huge fan of Wildstar. The game had a true chance of being the next big MMO. Animations looked amazing, the action combat felt great in Beta and the company (Carbine) was very close with the community.

Then the launch happened: game crashes, lagging servers, tons of bugs and the "hardcooore" endgame made everyone quit.

This is my biggest fear. Do not release a game that is frustrating due to bugs or lag. It will fail, regardless how amazing the features might be.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    These are personal opinions only

Three dimensional areas
    places that only provide active content on the ground plane
    would like to see cities especially with active content / reasons to go to upper floors and sub-floor to provide visual activity beyond the horizontal plane

City expanses
    As cities get larger it becomes progressively difficult to provide reasoning / rationale for all the buildings within. Some other games place key shops. npcs in close proximity and those towns become the key hubs for game play and the towns that are tiresome to run from a to b become ghost towns. And nothing worse than key npc / shops etc at the far end of the towns

UI
    A UI that is not to aesthetic personal preference is always hard.. strongly want user friendly tools to change and/or be able to download some else`s mod.

Lack of People
    That has been the killer in past MMO`s where ended up leaving as the player base shrunk. Hopping for highly active planned content both though the dynamics of the game itself, which hopefully plays a predominate part, and developed content.

Architecture
    This is a very personal one, some of the cities and planning of the AAA title appear to have used architects on board to plan and layout their cities so they make sense to the land, their interrelationships and cohesive overall. You can have a style and still adapt, but there are currently elements that subtly detract, such as walls that are not as thick as the elements that are expressed externally, impossible structural configurations.

Sounds
    NW has some jaw dropping sound effects, a league above many of the older MMO`s.
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Brocknar wrote: »
    I used to be a huge fan of Wildstar. The game had a true chance of being the next big MMO. Animations looked amazing, the action combat felt great in Beta and the company (Carbine) was very close with the community.

Then the launch happened: game crashes, lagging servers, tons of bugs and the "hardcooore" endgame made everyone quit.

This is my biggest fear. Do not release a game that is frustrating due to bugs or lag. It will fail, regardless how amazing the features might be.

As someone who played wildstar I can tell you many quit because of the keying system and the result it had on the community...making everyone get gold speed run on every max level dungeon where if a single person dies noone gets gold...sounded good so you could not be carried...but it made it so anytime someone died those looking to key would bail making so others could not even complete for gear. Also if everyone wanted to key and anyone died you had to bail and start over. Anyone who did get keyed was so sick of that dungeon they never wanted to see it again even to run guildies. It litereally made getting keyed far harder than what you were keying for. And many classes had 1 dungeon their class was bad at leaving tons of good players with gold on every dungeon except 1 and noone wanted to take them in that last one because they know your class sucked at Boss X in dungeon Y and if you died noone would get gold. And yes I say this as someone who did manage to get gold in them all.
  • Brocknar wrote: »

I don't think this will be the case. To be fair to your point, launch was an absolute nightmare. I remember the frustration of trying to log in for hours at a time and the development studio posting videos on their social medias of champagne toasts for a successful launch. I don't know if I've ever felt more of a disconnect between a dev studio and a player-base.

I think most of the issues already stated here like lack of players, classes are not fun, PvP getting in the way of PvE, etc. those will be taken care of in due time. Asmongold (regardless of your opinion of him), Lazy Peon, and a few others have given a big boost to the community and number of players involved. I think we need to have a little more faith, be a little less skeptical and harsh. I am of the opinion Intrepid's development team is very, very aware of our concerns.
  • KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    Azryil wrote: »
    armando wrote: »
    I'm worried the game won't come out and quite frankly I had forgotten about it until I saw Asmongold talking about it in a new WoW livestream highlight video of his, so I came back to see if I still had my account.
    I really hope that guy doesn't decide to play and bring his rabid cult of 12 year olds with him....

agreed, the last thing we need is the new age horde

While writing this I think I may have gone a bit of topic let me know if you agree.

I mean if the game is good literally every single mmo CC (Content Creator) is going to start playing and making videos on it(likely since they, like us think most current mmos are lackluster). I've already seen so many CCs talk about how they are cautiously optimistic and are interested in trying the game. And if the game is really good and sticks around for awhile new MMO CCs will be born. There used to be and still are a bunch of CCs who only make content about WOW.

I'm interested in what negatives they will bring to the game. Since if you aren't directly around them I'm not sure what distress they could bring to the general populace (especially if dont play on the servers that bigger ones do) that an organized guild couldn't do. I mean sure they can easily organize and will get free stuff but imo who cares. As for the 12 year olds Asmon could bring. I mean lots of young people will play the game especially if it's any good. Idk if the average young person that watches his stream is any worse then the ones you see in every other game soooooooo........

Personally I'm more concerned about what the people in the game will do to them especially in an open world PvP game. I'm thinking that a bunch will quit do to being camped 24/7 since I can see a guild aptly called gankers taking turns killing streamers so get around the corruptions system. Personally I think Streamers make the game more interesting. I think it will be cool to see their armies clash, the drama that will unfold, the new people they will bring to the game. But maybe I'm totally wrong on this I'm interested to hear what you guys think. Have any of you had bad experiences with a streamer/CC before?

Hope this doesn't sound rude or anything I'm just interested in what your concerns about streamers are.

BTW Nagash its cool to see your still here. I don't check the forums much but when I do it's always nice to see you roleplaying a Skeleton lord. I usually smile or giggle after reading some of your comments. I know that one month we had with all that necro gear and that had you pumped. I Hope to see you in game some time with it on. :)
  • My only concern is the game being changed by pressure from all the people who want it to be a PvE title/instanced (safe) content/WoW/etc .. slowly whittling away at player freedom and agency and the immersion of the world, suggesting things that one by one lead us down the path of becoming (just like every single other MMO in existance) more like WoW.

Traveling is too hard, I want fast travel waaaah.
    I want flying mounts, waaaah.
    I have the IQ of a stupid rock and somehow relate non-consensual PvP to "griefing" waaah!
    It's not fair people can attack me during pve (safe time), pve content should be instanced waah!
    I don't want people to attack me unless I permit it/it's a fair fight, strategy and immersion are griefing waaah!
    I don't ever want to lose anything waaah!
    This MMO isn't singleplayer enough, waaah!
    So on and so on ..

Every title I've followed through development goes the same way. Every. Single. Time. The carebears and the entitled show up and demand changes, there's A LOT of them so a developer gets greedy/worried and makes those changes, and then no one plays because it's just another shitty clone of a game that already existed somewhere.

Obviously, I still have confidence in Steven. He inspires it, even, with the way he talks just like one of us! He's been there and he knows what we want, but it's been SO LONG. It's been 15+ years of utter failure after utter failure, lies, disappointments.. It's so hard not to be jaded and incredibly cynical and even .. angry. Totally disillusioned with the entire gaming industry.

Steven is shaping to be my favourite game dev of all time and making a game I'd happily live in and play religiously. Just hearing him speak about the game and MMOs makes me emotional, because I don't remember a time one of US with our values and beliefs was the one in charge.

But the worry is still there and I think always will be, after what the MMORPG genre has been through.
  • My only concern is the game being changed by pressure from all the people who want it to be a PvE title/instanced (safe) content/WoW/etc .. slowly whittling away at player freedom and agency and the immersion of the world, suggesting things that one by one lead us down the path of becoming (just like every single other MMO in existance) more like WoW.

Traveling is too hard, I want fast travel waaaah.
    I want flying mounts, waaaah.
    I have the IQ of a stupid rock and somehow relate non-consensual PvP to "griefing" waaah!
    It's not fair people can attack me during pve (safe time), pve content should be instanced waah!
    I don't want people to attack me unless I permit it/it's a fair fight, strategy and immersion are griefing waaah!
    I don't ever want to lose anything waaah!
    This MMO isn't singleplayer enough, waaah!
    So on and so on ..

Every title I've followed through development goes the same way. Every. Single. Time. The carebears and the entitled show up and demand changes, there's A LOT of them so a developer gets greedy/worried and makes those changes, and then no one plays because it's just another shitty clone of a game that already existed somewhere.

Obviously, I still have confidence in Steven. He inspires it, even, with the way he talks just like one of us! He's been there and he knows what we want, but it's been SO LONG. It's been 15+ years of utter failure after utter failure, lies, disappointments.. It's so hard not to be jaded and incredibly cynical and even .. angry. Totally disillusioned with the entire gaming industry.

Steven is shaping to be my favourite game dev of all time and making a game I'd happily live in and play religiously. Just hearing him speak about the game and MMOs makes me emotional, because I don't remember a time one of US with our values and beliefs was the one in charge.

But the worry is still there and I think always will be, after what the MMORPG genre has been through.

I also put this in less depth in my biggest worry, Im with you 100%.