Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts on the new Pre-alpha footage?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Kinda felt like that characters design was not right to the environment. Also, combat is "meh", not bad and not good, but for me it is leaning towards bad side more since I prefer action combat, I didn't like how characters behave when in combat and skills were too flashy and big.

At the moment, I don't like that combat is more tab-target focused, if they go that route I hope I will like final product but right now it is big no for me. No matter how good the rest of the game is if I don't like combat I won't enjoy it. :/
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Micromegas wrote: »
    No matter how good the rest of the game is if I don't like combat I won't enjoy it. :/
    I am sure that’s the case for everyone. Like BDO for me; I really tried hard to like it because it was so pretty visually and there seemed like a lot of things to do in the game, but the combat was horrible and killed all the good things about the game for me. I know some people really like the combat in the game (and some people even ridiculousIy claim on this board that it’s somehow objectively superior to other games) so it’s going to come down to personal preference. And I’m not even sure if we’re going to get that fair of a feel for it in Alpha 1 since it’s still pretty early in development.

The piece of encouragement I can offer is that the design philosophy is to offer a lot of variety. You have 8 classes, each class with 8 different subclasses to modify them, and a variety of tab target and action skills to choose between. Just because what you saw in the preview isn’t to your liking, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be able to build a character differently that plays more to your style.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    HjerimHjerim Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    @noaani The video was for some of the technical implications that are required when we are talking about action combat, which will complicate it compared to tab-targetting. But also very informational - glad you enjoyed it!
  • Options
    @Micromegas absolutely spot on with the characters - I think it is due to how early we actually are in development. We are not used to see MMO's this early in development.
    Did you get a chance to try the Battle Royale? That was a early iteration on Action Combat.
    From what I understand, their goal is to make a hybrid scheme with hopefully the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hjerim wrote: »
    The video was for some of the technical implications that are required when we are talking about action combat, which will complicate it compared to tab-targetting. But also very informational - glad you enjoyed it!
    I mean, if you want to switch up to discuss the technical aspects of action combat, I'm happy to go along for the ride - though I would suggest that many of the things in that video from 7 years ago are outdated now. Not all of them, but many.
  • Options
    @noaani rather not, no - I doubt neither you or I are designing Action Combat MMO's as our primary work and would actually be able to have a meaningful conversation understanding the intricate problems that might be encountered. Even if you can; I can't.