Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Primary Class Poll!

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    What do you guys think the best representation of a Shadow Knight or Death Knight would be in AoC?
    A sort of dark knight, with spooky powers.

This is what worries me about Ashes.
    If you look at the classes table, no combination shows that you will have Dark themed abilities, playing as a tank.

You want to play Rogue/tank, tank/rogue? You can only hope that there will be some identity of evil atks.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Some classes have multi-purpose too. Going to bring up necro again because it's what I am most hyped for, but they're described as having spells that can take life from enemies (dps) and give it to allies (heal).

And PvE is just one aspect, we'll need to plan for all contingencies .. So you're doing a raid/dungeon, you may still want some non-PvE types to come with, because only 20% of the dungeons will be instanced so chances are the dungeon you're going to is going to be open world, and that means you may run into other players who are not so friendly or happy to be sharing the treasure of the dungeon with you! They might even be enemies of yours already for one reason or another.

These sort of situations are what I love about PvX so much, because it breaks us out of those ruts where we just optimise like hell for 1 thing and ignore everything else.
  • Options
    ZeaminZeamin Member
    If they had a Pugilist or Monk class that would have been my number one choice. :D

But looking at all the classes then maybe i will try for Rogue and then later on, go for the Predator class. (Rogue/Ranger) ;)
    Banner.png
  • Options
    AmelAmel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im thinking Ranger-Rogue. I like the Scout class fantasy
  • Options
    lance10calance10ca Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I was a bard in EQ. I was a druid in RoM, I was druid in Wow. I am a Ranger in GW2. I haven't decided yet but primary will be one of bard, cleric or ranger.
  • Options
    What do you guys think the best representation of a Shadow Knight or Death Knight would be in AoC?

Do you mean like an undead summoner type melee class, as in WoW? I don't think you can get that specific tbh. The closest I think you can get is the Summoner/Cleric (Necromancer) type. Using heavy armor and close combat weapons. Although the class itself might not synergize well with that gear, but idk.
  • Options
    So, I normally am a tank/support player. And I plan to go along these lines. I don't really want to be a hard tank or hard support but rather a utility version of either of these. With CC and maybe even mobility instead of shielding or straight healing/buffing. I'll have to see how each class plays out for that.
    Another point is leveling. Don't want the need to hard force leveling because your class sucks at clearing mobs. If that's the case I will most likely take a dps main class and add bard/cleric/tank to it.
  • Options
    For me it will be full healer (highpriest) or healer/tank(apostle).
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
  • Options

Do you mean like an undead summoner type melee class, as in WoW? I don't think you can get that specific tbh. The closest I think you can get is the Summoner/Cleric (Necromancer) type. Using heavy armor and close combat weapons. Although the class itself might not synergize well with that gear, but idk.

Nothing too specific, just daydreaming. I was thinking more like the necromancer/warrior hybrid-class Shadow Knight from EverQuest, but the Death Knight from WoW is pretty similar thematically.

Summoner+Cleric (Necro) is by far the class I am most excited about.
  • Options

Nothing too specific, just daydreaming. I was thinking more like the necromancer/warrior hybrid-class Shadow Knight from EverQuest, but the Death Knight from WoW is pretty similar thematically.

Then, yeah, Necromancer is what you're looking for. It's just the gear synergy that might mess it up a bit. Shifting you into a more ranged approach.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Do we know yet if tanks will be the only ones that can hold aggro or taunt? Or can characters that have a different primary archtype spec into tank to be able to preform the same role.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    Im going to be a beastmaster, a summoner/ranger.
  • Options
    HansrutgerHansrutger Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am really hoping for a healthy rogue design! I have seen the invisibility/stealth ability and it looks cool, just hoping that they go for the "standard" rogue fantasy of an agile figure that works in the shadows.
  • Options

Then, yeah, Necromancer is what you're looking for. It's just the gear synergy that might mess it up a bit. Shifting you into a more ranged approach.

Y'know a plate wearing necromancer sounds kinda cool. I'm excited to see if I can pull it off!
  • Options
    Do we know yet if tanks will be the only ones that can hold aggro or taunt? Or can characters that have a different primary archtype spec into tank to be able to preform the same role.

From what I understand the secondary archetypes to be capable of, you won't get any new abilities through them. You will just alter the abilities of your chosen primary archetype. So Tank as the primary archetype might be required for tanking, just as picking Cleric as primary for healing or Bard as support buffing. Having a fighter/tank (Dreadnought) might just allow you to defend yourself and a few allies a bit better. Maybe deal some heavy-hitting blows. But Fighter would still be mainly a melee DPS type.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So far I love the balance of the straw poll. Good mix of percentages. Interesting to see Fighter in the lead (Last I checked).
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I smell a shortage of tanks in this game.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    Varkun wrote: »

At least we will get some healer.
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
  • Options

Y'know a plate wearing necromancer sounds kinda cool. I'm excited to see if I can pull it off!

If you don't care much for min-maxing as I won't, then you can definitely go plate necro. That's the beauty of the system they're creating. I'll go for ranger/mage with leather gear personally, regardless of the meta. I just want to play my fantasy character. Games are supposed to be fun and I don't find following the meta to be fun at all.

That's most likely the case, looking at every other MMO. I'm actually surprised to see as many Tank's in the straw poll as it is.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

If you don't care much for min-maxing as I won't, then you can definitely go plate necro. That's the beauty of the system they're creating. I'll go for ranger/mage with leather gear personally, regardless of the meta. I just want to play my fantasy character. Games are supposed to be fun and I don't find following the meta to be fun at all.

That's most likely the case, looking at every other MMO. I'm actually surprised to see as many Tank's in the straw poll as it is.

You definately can build sub optimal...unless you want to do the hardest content as noone wants to carry you through day after day in the dungeons.
  • Options

I can assure you, that there will be a meta. The question only is, how broad of the meta will get. Let's say, each class will be viable and can have 3 different types of gear combinations, that would be ultra broad. However, it could also go into the opposite direction and we'll see a meta with only 4 out of the 8 archetypes and even there will be only one or two classes viable, which would be non fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Aardvark wrote: »

You definately can build sub optimal...unless you want to do the hardest content as noone wants to carry you through day after day in the dungeons.

I'm going to build sub-optimal and carry people through the hardest content, just to prove you wrong.
    That's how confident I am that this game is not a garbage World of Warcraft clone.
  • Options
    U5urPator wrote: »

I can assure you, that there will be a meta. The question only is, how broad of the meta will get. Let's say, each class will be viable and can have 3 different types of gear combinations, that would be ultra broad. However, it could also go into the opposite direction and we'll see a meta with only 4 out of the 8 archetypes and even there will be only one or two classes viable, which would be non fun.

But at the same time, I don't want to see a repeat of WoW where every class is viable for all content. You loose class identity when everyone can do everything equally well. IMO, balancing should only be dependent on how many players choose to play those classes and archetypes, I.E how fun they are. Not dependant on their DPS output.

A mage should be a glass cannon and deal the most DPS. Dealing heavy damage in bursts but weak to damage and easily killed if the party isn't protecting them.

A bard shouldn't be top DPS or Healing but still viable due to their buffs.

The rogue should be the most viable in PVP.

The ranger should have the highest survivability and sustained range damage output even if they can't compete with mages in DPS.

Those are my feelings at least. Everyone should have a niche where they shine.
  • Options

But at the same time, I don't want to see a repeat of WoW where every class is viable for all content. You loose class identity when everyone can do everything equally well. IMO, balancing should only be dependent on how many players choose to play those classes and archetypes, I.E how fun they are. Not dependant on their DPS output.

A mage should be a glass cannon and deal the most DPS. Dealing heavy damage in bursts but weak to damage and easily killed if the party isn't protecting them.

The ranger should have the highest survivability and sustained range damage output even if they can't compete with mages in DPS.

I am disgusted by WoW too, but not every class is viable in all content. My class+spec hasn't been viable in PvP (the only content I care about) since BfA launch.

Classes will have things they are good and bad at, so that's good. But mage isn't always going to be a glass cannon. For example you can pick mage+tank and have a tanky mage.

And I doubt they will make rogue the most PvP viable because classes are being designed with rock, paper, scissors in mind. Meaning if you are a rogue subclass that is highly pvp viable, there will still be some class out there that is a direct counter to you and will always have an advantage. The game won't be balanced around 1v1, but rather group content, as well.
  • Options

I am disgusted by WoW too, but not every class is viable in all content. My class+spec hasn't been viable in PvP (the only content I care about) since BfA launch.

Classes will have things they are good and bad at, so that's good. But mage isn't always going to be a glass cannon. For example you can pick mage+tank and have a tanky mage.

And I doubt they will make rogue the most PvP viable because classes are being designed with rock, paper, scissors in mind. Meaning if you are a rogue subclass that is highly pvp viable, there will still be some class out there that is a direct counter to you and will always have an advantage. The game won't be balanced around 1v1, but rather group content, as well.

You're totally right. All I'm saying is that viability can come in so many different forms. And I'd like it to stay that way. I just don't want the Archmage to be supplanted by the Spellblade because a few numbers were shifted in the Spellblade's favor. If the content requires a melee DPS, the Spellblade should prevail over the Archmage and vice versa.
  • Options
    Valento92Valento92 Member
    edited July 2020
    Summoner! I'm intrigued about the sub-classes but leaning towards raw Conjurer, mage, or bard subtypes. I really love to summon minions.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options

You're totally right. All I'm saying is that viability can come in so many different forms. And I'd like it to stay that way. I just don't want the Archmage to be supplanted by the Spellblade because a few numbers were shifted in the Spellblade's favor. If the content requires a melee DPS, the Spellblade should prevail over the Archmage and vice versa.

Agreed!
  • Options
    ZambarZambar Member
    Main class summoner is garanteed. About the secondary, depends on lot's of things. for example:

summoner/bard if it allow to buff my party with the buffs supposed to given to my pets it's an interesting support option.
    summoner/tank usually groups don't like sumoners/pet classes, but a summoner tank sounds exciting. Always wanted a ranged tank in games.
    summoner/rouge ifit allow me to sacrafise my pets to gain combat buff on myself based on the pet beeing sacrafised would be an exciting pvp option.
    summoner/fighter if my summons change their nature into weapons summoning shields for deffense and so on would be cool.
    I'm the least interested in beast master, Conjurer, necro, BUT! basically that summoner class is a hype for me in this class system over all.
  • Options
    I am also new to this MMO and started following it a week ago or so, the class design is very, how do I say it, intricate - I like the cross class design on paper, but I do wonder how it will actually play out in practice.

I just hope each class I'm interested in has something to offer that makes it unique, such that to me Duelist sounds awesome, and so does a Templar, and so does a god damn Dreadnought. Just walking up to people and bashing them with a mace as a Templar or a Dreadnought, or skilfully operating the blade like a Duelist would - yeah I'm pretty imaginative. :smile:
  • Options
    I'm looking into the SpellSword or Battle Mage. (Fighter/Mage or Mage/Fighter) I really like the idea of having a sword in the fray, and occasionally tossing out a AoE spell.
    E8OOol.gif