Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Renamed Classes

I renamed some of the classes, yet again. However, I changed it significantly this time based on community suggestions. What do you guys think?

https://imgur.com/a/OQ1Gr7f

Also, did Steven actually say that class names won't be changed? I really hope that that's not the case as some of these class names could really be improved upon. Maybe some of these are temporary names that were given to classes because they weren't fully fledged out yet.

Comments

• Options
    I don't see the need to rename as we don't know how the classes will play out.
    Maybe there is an inherent thoughtprocess behind the naming of classes that you just don't get so far?
    In the end, names are just names, they won't change the game.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have not seen Steven directly say it but I have heard it referenced enough that he did. Class names mean almost nothing. They are just a little bit of flavor that goes along with your setup. I think trying to get them changed is a bit of a waste of time.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Your list is never going to happen.

The developer likes the names he came up with and there is a reason why those names are what they are.

You've basically tried to rename things without any understand of why the classes have the names they do.

And if you don't realize what you've done, you've literally told the Creative Director that you are smarter than him and can do his job better, even though he has the 4k page Game Design Document and you don't.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Jahlon wrote: »

The developer likes the names he came up with and there is a reason why those names are what they are.

You've basically tried to rename things without any understand of why the classes have the names they do.

And if you don't realize what you've done, you've literally told the Creative Director that you are smarter than him and can do his job better, even though he has the 4k page Game Design Document and you don't.

Hello, Jahlon. Love your channel!

The only class name I have issue with is Tank, because the word Tank is something we use, because of association with the military vehicle of the same name. Since those military vehicles tend not to exist in fantasy settings (they're rather modern-ish tech), I feel like the word itself might be a bit immersion breaking or not make much sense from a roleplay/canon perspective.

That is unless tanks (the vehicle) 'do' exist in some form or description in AoC.
    Do you know if that might be the case?

Thanks.
  • Options

Hello, Jahlon. Love your channel!

The only class name I have issue with is Tank, because the word Tank is something we use, because of association with the military vehicle of the same name. Since those military vehicles tend not to exist in fantasy settings (they're rather modern-ish tech), I feel like the word itself might be a bit immersion breaking or not make much sense from a roleplay/canon perspective.

That is unless tanks (the vehicle) 'do' exist in some form or description in AoC.
    Do you know if that might be the case?

Thanks.

Inb4 the tank archetype is in fact an engineer in a tank.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

Wow someone's salty. Listen buddy. Its not just me. A lot of people feel like some of the classes can be renamed. I'm not saying that I'm smarter than the Creative Director, all I'm saying is some of the names can be improved upon. There are a billion classes with Shadow in their names. Some classes sound like abilities/items. No one can be the best at everything. Maybe Steven couldn't find the right terms, I don't know, but the bottom line is some of them need to be changed and a community can help him do so. If you don't have any constructive criticism to give, don't type. Maybe if you had this much attitude in your videos, you might rake in more views.
  • Options

Wow someone's salty. Listen buddy. Its not just me. A lot of people feel like some of the classes can be renamed. I'm not saying that I'm smarter than the Creative Director, all I'm saying is some of the names can be improved upon. There are a billion classes with Shadow in their names. Some classes sound like abilities/items. No one can be the best at everything. Maybe Steven couldn't find the right terms, I don't know, but the bottom line is some of them need to be changed and a community can help him do so. If you don't have any constructive criticism to give, don't type. Maybe if you had this much attitude in your videos, you might rake in more views.

I said it earlier, do you really know how the classes will play out? Or do you judge just from the archetype combinations? You can't know how the augments will change a class, so chill until you know.

And also again, it is just names. Completely irrelevant to the gameplay if you're not a hardcore RP fan.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    U5urPator wrote: »

I said it earlier, do you really know how the classes will play out? Or do you judge just from the archetype combinations? You can't know how the augments will change a class, so chill until you know.

And also again, it is just names. Completely irrelevant to the gameplay if you're not a hardcore RP fan.

Are you serious? Are you actually ok with having 6 classes with Shadow in their name? Is that really the only thing about rogues that you can think of? Do you actually think that Tellsword, Siren and Magician are good bard class names? Do Nightspell and Spellshield sound more like classes or abilties? What about Spellstone and Nightshield? Are they classes or items?

I understand that class gameplay hasn't been showcased yet but we know what the archetypes are and what they do. The names that i mentioned above do not suit the constituting archetypes whatsoever, no matter how you design their classes.

I'd love to tell you that I'm alone on this topic, but I'm not. A lot of the community wants to see some of these classes renamed as there are far better names out there than the ones that were chosen.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you don't have any constructive criticism to give, don't type.
    This stops being a valid thing to say as soon as you no longer have someone in your life you need to raise your hand to speak to.

• Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    If you don't have any constructive criticism to give, don't type.
    This stops being a valid thing to say as soon as you no longer have someone in your life you need to raise your hand to speak to.

I made this post to see people's opinions on the class names that me and some others came up with. The community wants some of these classes to be renamed, to no one's surprise, hence why i made this post. But here you have this guy, over reacting to it. That's why I told him not to type.
  • Options

Are you serious? Are you actually ok with having 6 classes with Shadow in their name? Is that really the only thing about rogues that you can think of? Do you actually think that Tellsword, Siren and Magician are good bard class names? Do Nightspell and Spellshield sound more like classes or abilties? What about Spellstone and Nightshield? Are they classes or items?

I understand that class gameplay hasn't been showcased yet but we know what the archetypes are and what they do. The names that i mentioned above do not suit the constituting archetypes whatsoever, no matter how you design their classes.

I'd love to tell you that I'm alone on this topic, but I'm not. A lot of the community wants to see some of these classes renamed as there are far better names out there than the ones that were chosen.

I like them all more than yours to be honest. Like in which world is a virtuoso a magical musician? A commander is someone who leads soldiers nothing more. Naturalist sounds like purist. Why should a cleric and a ranger be an apostle rather than a Protector (of Nature)?

I could go on and on about it.
  • Options
    Oh man, still at it with these class name threads eh?

And now you're trying to have a go at Jahlon?

Wooo boy. At least your left predator alone this time lol
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

I like them all more than yours to be honest. Like in which world is a virtuoso a magical musician? A commander is someone who leads soldiers nothing more. Naturalist sounds like purist. Why should a cleric and a ranger be an apostle rather than a Protector (of Nature)?

Jesus. A virtuoso is - a person highly skilled in music or another artistic pursuit. So that's your first point invalidated.

A commander can command soldiers. Guess what a summoner can do? Maybe summon different types of soldiers (soldiers can be ANYTHING)? Definitely sounds a lot better to me than a Keeper if you're going to be doing any kind of summoning with this class. There goes your second point.

A Naturalist is a mage that utilizes nature magic, makes sense if you focus on the ranger part of it more than the archer part. But this was definitely one of the harder ones to come up with a name for, so you win this one.

When's the last time you heard of a ranged protector? Probably 0 times. Protectors are Melee tanks/off tanks that PROTECT. That's why I swapped them. You could easily choose to swap apostle to something like Celestial/Credence Hunter as well but I didn't want to add any more hunters to class names. So there goes your fourth point.

And the fact that you have absolutely no problem with having 6 classes with Shadow in their name shows that creativity is not exactly your suite. Rogues aren't relegated to shadows alone. Understand that first.

So basically, one of your points made sense while the rest was gibberish. But ill take the feedback, thank you.

• Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Oh man, still at it with these class name threads eh?

And now you're trying to have a go at Jahlon?

Wooo boy. At least your left predator alone this time lol

I'm not trying to go AT anyone. I merely responded the way you respond to people that talk like they're above everyone else.

The reason I left predator alone was because majority of the community didn't want it to be changed.
  • Options
    VKhatVKhat Member
    edited July 2020
    Did you change the name of my class? Vigilante? That sounds more like a tank spec than a Scout. Scouts are important in this game! Especially if you combine it with Scribe! Also renaming Tank to Juggernaught makes more sense. They don't have tanks, but Juggernauts were huge carts.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    VKhat wrote: »
    You changed the name of my class? Vigilante? That sounds more like a tank spec than a Scout. Scouts are important in this game! Especially if you combine it with Scribe!

Are you serious? Google what a vigilante means before you type. A vigilante is NOT a tank.
  • Options
    You changed the name of my class? Vigilante? That sounds more like a tank spec than a Scout. Scouts are important in this game! Especially if you combine it with Scribe!

Are you serious? Google what a vigilante means before you type. A vigilante is NOT a tank.

I dunno...

Batman has a tank.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Why is this a topic of debate? Why does the name of the classes matter to anybody? Just play the one that either best suits the group you play with, is the meta or the one whose play-style you enjoy playing the most.

Further if Devs said they won't change them, they won't. They are building an MMO. They don't have time to go back and rename classes. I think we should focus our feedback on more productive things like balance, effectiveness in group play, etc etc..
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    VKhatVKhat Member

Vigilante is a guardian. Someone who protects. Ranger and Rogue combined are not a Vigilante.

• Options
    @CaptainChuck you see what's happening right? We all have a different opinion, but most don't agree with yours.

Just leave it how it currently is and basta. No need to waste energy into something you can't make right.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

Vigilante is a guardian. Someone who protects. Ranger and Rogue combined are not a Vigilante.

NOOOOOO. A vigilante is a mercenary. Someone who takes justice into his own hands. Someone who can be paid to kill people. They are not tanks LMAO.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    @CaptainChuck you see what's happening right? We all have a different opinion, but most don't agree with yours.

Just leave it how it currently is and basta. No need to waste energy into something you can't make right.

But most agree that some class names have to be changed. The sooner you do this, the stronger the attachment the community forms with each of these classes. That's all i'm saying. I don't believe that the names that i presented above are the best names that can be chosen for some of these classes, but I do believe that SOME of them are far better than the ones that currently exist.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thanks, I hate it.....
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    Srdjan91Srdjan91 Member
    edited July 2020
    Guys and ladies dont be ''toxic'' and be nice. We are in this together <3
    It's his suggestion/opinion... and dont twist his words.

Some classes and their stuff are still in concept stage and it can be changed or not during alpha/beta test phases.

Druid would be better name class option than a Protector of Nature. That's what Druids are, they are protectors of nature.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    Most of these names have simply just been changed to sound better and avoid repetition. So the argument that "the classes haven't been released yet etc etc.", doesn't hold.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Srky wrote: »
    Guys and ladies dont be ''toxic'' and be nice. We are in this together <3
    It's his suggestion/opinion... and dont twist his words.

Some classes and their stuff are still in concept stage and it can be changed or not during alpha/beta test phases.

Druid would be better name class option than a Protector of Nature. That's what Druids are, they are protectors of nature.

NOOOO, don't make that mistake. Druids are of elven origin, they can't just be of any race. That ruins their lore, lore that has been maintained across several games. Don't make druids a class, but make it into a type of augment or if you are going to make it a class, i recommend restricting it to the elven race.