Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Concern: MTX Cosmetics Justification Contradicts the "No Participation Trophy" Philosophy

13»

Comments

• Options
    IMO as long as the bought and earned MTX are discernable I'm fine with it.
    If people want to look good so be it.

My only gripe with MTX is that I can't evaluate the player visually. If this isn't happening due to different appearances I couldn't care less if someone buys a gold noble robe or something for money.
  • Options
    Is this mentality limited to cosmetics? Do you also want the same flying mount experience as "the hardcore" people? What about titles? And for the record, I'm not a hardcore player and I'm not going to "work."
    This mindset is limited to cosmetics and QOL features. There's no reason to lock people out of visual perks and what makes the game beautiful. It's like saying that everyone who can't clear the raid would have to play on LOW graphics settings. It makes no sense

I have no trouble if some high-end gameplay features are not accessible to casuals. This - makes sense. You play more -> you are more powerful.
    Flying mounts seem to be super-high-end 1% server exclusive things, so it's not like it matters. Let those 1% have their fun with them for all I care.
    To be 100% honest, an option to toggle off all cosmetics from my client view would probably solve this in my eyes.
    AFAIK, they are not doing that.
    Also, I think that in large siedges you will be rendered to other people with a default character skin that has no cosmetics or even your real armor. Just some generic class-based armor. So basically all mages will be rendered the same.

zenty wrote: »
    Whenever a game company puts in purchasable cosmetics in their cash shop one of two things I've experienced happens:

1) The game company will put all the cosmetics in the cash shop, not tying it to gameplay at all aka BDO
    2) The game company will reduce the number of cosmetics rewarded in-game, favoring the cash shop instead aka GW2.

You are working off of the assumption that if there were no cash shop - then the company would still produce the same amount of content, but make it earnable for free inside of their game.
    Which is not the case at all.

90% of shop-exclusive cosmerics would simply never have been made. In fanct, less in-game cosmetics would also be made.

Let's assume that the company makes 100 item skins a year, and 50 of them are shop-exclusive vanity items.
    It is incorrect to assume that without shop they would make the same 100 skins, but put them in the game.
    It is also a stretch to assume that they would have made even 50 in-game cosmetics. They would probably make 40, simply because of how much less profitable the game becomes.
    less profit -> more resources needs to be put on real features like new content, and less is left for vanity items or even cool-loking combat gear.

Not having a shop does not positively affect your in-game variety. Why would it? In fact, it has a slight negative effect.

• Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Frostduck wrote: »
    Its not participation trophy if you pay for it.
    Using real money to buy a trophy never jived with me either.
    By that logic buying items from others or buying carries is participation trophy.

Your effort was through in-game means to acquire those items.
    U dont like microtransactions thats fine but we live in an imperfect world and compromises need to be made. Many mmo players love that shit. They do. You dont like it. Compromise is that you can farm cool free ones and they cant buy power.

I agree. This is a compromise I'm willing to accept, but thought it was worth discussing as long as people were willing to listen.
    My advice is you take what u can get and dont expect anything to be perfect

I think ultimately that's what's going to happen. Just thought an opinion that was probably shared among others was worth voicing, since intrepid is depending on us to communicate with them.

Why is it hard to understand that if you want the car to be pink you pay extra? Are you getting a better car no are you paying to win no what are you doing ? You are getting a pink car. Wish I could just delete this whole thread
  • Options
    InosInos Member
    edited July 2020
    @Aardvark
    Why is it hard to understand that first you need to get a Lamborghini(car) and then you pay extra for a color.
    I support cosmetic shop colors and other accessories, but against option to change Ford Fiesta for Lamborghini Appearance at Launch of the Game. No one is concerned about color.

• Options
    BeekeeperBeekeeper Member
    edited July 2020
    Maybe it's just me, but I think cash shop cosmetics should not even come close to the really high end stuff you earn in game. It would be such a bummer to find a cool robe, try it on, and you realize it's that 10$ one you've seen advertised, but it's green now. Or you earned yourself an EPIC sword, huge and impressive, you want to show it off, but everyone has already seen that because 10 guys in the main hub bought a quasi identical one, except they're red. Leveling up and getting access to new gear is a massive part of the game, and the stats are only half the reward. How things LOOK is already a reward baked into the game. You WIN by looking better. And you pay to look better. If there are equivalents in game, that may not outright prohibit looks as in BDO, but it sure as hell makes the design of cool items less exciting.

I'd find it disingenuous if someone wouldn't look at existing games with their epic rare items and not act like their visuals isn't a big part of their appeal. "HOLY DAMN THIS DAGGER IS MADE OF DRAGONBONE AND GLOWS" "damn dude cool. here, i got the same one, i paid a whole 5 bucks for it."

I guess my solution would be to keep cash looks more mid tier? You can look middling cool, shortcutting your way to about the halfway of the game if you want to invest no further effort, but you don't just get to be the cool kid on the block because your cc sits loose.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Inos wrote: »
    Concerns is not about having Cosmetic shop, but about what type of cosmetic items will be available for purchase. There are unlimited things they can monetize for example - Aura effects, minions, summons, pets(not mounts), Color pallets or colored armor presets, colored weapon effects, small Accessory(attachments...) etc....

But one thing should never be in Cosmetic shop is - Armor set.

Because appearance(Armor set) should represent player Achievements and power state.

In my Experience there is nothing more annoying when in PvP Cosmetics Hide player Class, gearing Power, Weapon. Especially when it is group PvP.
    In many cases Cosmetics can give Advantage...
    Sorry but you’d better put on your sad face. Armor appearances have always been in the cosmetic shop. I think I own a couple. They’re even selling one right now in the shop.

costume.png

That costs $25 and looks like a weird leather samurai(-ish) outfit.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »
    Frostduck wrote: »
    Its not participation trophy if you pay for it.
    Using real money to buy a trophy never jived with me either.
    By that logic buying items from others or buying carries is participation trophy.

Your effort was through in-game means to acquire those items.
    U dont like microtransactions thats fine but we live in an imperfect world and compromises need to be made. Many mmo players love that shit. They do. You dont like it. Compromise is that you can farm cool free ones and they cant buy power.

I agree. This is a compromise I'm willing to accept, but thought it was worth discussing as long as people were willing to listen.
    My advice is you take what u can get and dont expect anything to be perfect

I think ultimately that's what's going to happen. Just thought an opinion that was probably shared among others was worth voicing, since intrepid is depending on us to communicate with them.

Why is it hard to understand that if you want the car to be pink you pay extra? Are you getting a better car no are you paying to win no what are you doing ? You are getting a pink car. Wish I could just delete this whole thread

Idk what you're trying to say lol.
  • Options
    Over1anderOver1ander Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My question on cosmetics is if these cashshop cosmetics will have the ability to be mixed and matched and not overall skins like ArcheAge or GW2.
  • Options
    Over1ander wrote: »
    My question on cosmetics is if these cashshop cosmetics will have the ability to be mixed and matched and not overall skins like ArcheAge or GW2.

I believe cosmetics are linked to gear slots, not overall looks

It was mentioned on the most recent stream. For example you can have cosmetics on gauntlets, and another on the helm. They didn't explicitly say the MTX cosmetics would work this way but considering some backer cosmetics are like this, I would assume that to be the case