Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Proximity Voice Chat Poll

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Looking at the AoC wiki for voice chat. I would not change a thing. It looks perfect. Proximity chat is a sweet idea in theory. In practice people cant handle it. Just like half of you unwashed heathens can't put forth a serious character name or guild name. Half of you can't not run around blasting some ridiculous animu music and screaming "OWNII CHANN!" at the top of your lungs when you see another player. It's not your fault they only have weeb conventions so many times per year. I forgive you. I can deal with all your dumb names, but I am not gonna deal with proximity voice chat. I don't even want it as a option just on the off chance that it makes the servers slower in some way.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    UlquiorraUlquiorra Member
    edited August 2020
    This is the problem with this community. When they realize a decision has already been made or merely put in mind, they begin to only try to justify and rationalize it; probably without realizing the shift in their mindset.

The new members from July-Aug with fresh perspectives are now the same as the old ones. Sad and pathetic.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ulquiorra wrote: »
    This is the problem with this community. When they realize a decision has already been made or merely put in mind, they begin to only try to justify and rationalize it; probably without realizing the shift in their mindset.

The new members from July-Aug with fresh perspectives are now the same as the old ones. Sad and pathetic.
    ^
    To clarify further, I meant when other options are clearly viable.

What Intrepid can do for full open VO:
    ---> • Force Push-to-Talk.
    ---> • Reduce proximity, you don't like what the crowd is talking about? walk away or mute "local voiceover", keep "party voiceover" turned on if you want to talk with your friends without moving away.
    ---> • Add headphones icon near nameplate if fully muted hearing, so people will use the chat instead, for those who prefer to be chatted with. Speaker icon when a person is speaking.
    ---> • Turn it off by default for "snowflakes". ^ The speaker icon when others speak will let them know it's turned off.

Any other problem? There is always a solution to everything. It's a very fun and immersive to have, and some people don't like typing anyway or think they're slow, let them speak.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

oh so every old member is sad and pathetic?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Nagash wrote: »

oh so every old member is sad and pathetic?
    No.
    I knew you'd say that, that's why I posted the "clarification" post in advance. Apparently it wasn't enough ... why did I even bother replying -.-" Stay on-topic.
  • Options
    The more I think on it...
    It is a waste of DEV time, and server load. It is hard to moderate.

I just don't think that people are not going to use it enough to justify its existence. There is another thread about group voice chat. Something I do advocate for, and is going to be in the game. I am extremely skeptical that people are even going to use that. Based on seeing other MMOs like WOW have the feature go 100% unused by the community.

Discord or any other out of game voice chat is always going to be superior. You can freely move from conversation to conversation regardless of what you are doing in game. All it takes in one person saying: "hello how are you?" in proximity chat. The average discord user will be like: "Hold on someone is trying to talk to me in-game, let me mute in game voice....", and there it is... the dream of immersion is dead.

Discord is so good that most PC game DEVs don't waste time and energy stressing themselves with in-game chat. There is just no reason to compete with Discord.

On top of that it is additional server load. It is also a possible source of "Someone is yelling the N-word" GM tickets.

It's just not worth it.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I just don't think that people are not going to use it enough to justify its existence. There is another thread about group voice chat. Something I do advocate for, and is going to be in the game. I am extremely skeptical that people are even going to use that. Based on seeing other MMOs like WOW have the feature go 100% unused by the community.

Discord or any other out of game voice chat is always going to be superior. You can freely move from conversation to conversation regardless of what you are doing in game. All it takes in one person saying: "hello how are you?" in proximity chat. The average discord user will be like: "Hold on someone is trying to talk to me in-game, let me mute in game voice....", and there it is... the dream of immersion is dead.

Discord is so good that most PC game DEVs don't waste time and energy stressing themselves with in-game chat. There is just no reason to compete with Discord.

On top of that it is additional server load. It is also a possible source of "Someone is yelling the N-word" GM tickets.

It's just not worth it.

Hard to moderate? You can use the same excuse for the planned voice chat options.
    How do you know it costs an unworthy amount of time and money to implement an existing system elsewhere?

Many Discord users(including myself) REALLY don't want to use 3rd parties, but they're forced to, because it's where their 'group' gather when offline or share media files. Does that make it superior? As long as the sound quality is good, and can speak from anywhere through somehow(party/other..), then No.
    (and obviously Ashes' news won't be just in Discord when it's out)

To back up my argument so it doesn't sound like a personal opinion, I read this recent tweet yesterday.
    (removed)
    Again, Discord is for friends, in an MMO we play together with complete strangers, you can't suddenly tell a stranger to add you on Discord without expecting them to speak back or knowing what they're getting into, it's more complicated than that. Stop mentioning it, annoying ... :|
  • Options
    Voice chat in the game sucks, its not gonna be fine.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

It's just not worth it.

Hard to moderate? You can use the same excuse for the planned voice chat options.
    How do you know it costs an unworthy amount of time and money to implement an existing system elsewhere?

Many Discord users(including myself) REALLY don't want to use 3rd parties, but they're forced to, because it's where their 'group' gather when offline or share media files. Does that make it superior? As long as the sound quality is good, and can speak from anywhere through somehow(party/other..), then No.

To back up my argument so it doesn't sound like a personal opinion, I read this recent tweet yesterday.
    6abbd7a156c3a722322bc7bc96c105ea.png
    Again, Discord is for friends, in an MMO we play together with complete strangers, you can't suddenly tell a stranger to add you on Discord without expecting them to speak back or knowing what they're getting into, it's more complicated than that. Stop mentioning it, annoying ... :|

Thank you! that's the thing... everyone keeps talking about proximity chat like its something they would need to put years of development on it and it is completely impossible to moderate and handle when the system is already planned for the game for groups...
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    I don't pretend to know these sorts of details so this truly is just an open question to you all... for me i'm all about Ashes' goal to reach 500v500 player battles, instead of only 250v250. I value that goal above the option of in game proximity chat. So for me personally, before I can say "yeah im fine with whatever voice options since this doesn't affect me" I would need to be told that open world massive use of proximity chat won't cause lag.

The specific example being, if I am attacking a castle and from a distance I hear nothing but once I get in range, suddenly the 250 members of that castle defending it all have their mics on and all are broadcasting a noise, any noise, music, static, grunts, would my game suddenly crash or massive drop in frame rate the moment my system has to be acknowledge that I just walked into range of 250 unique voices. Would this become the meta for castle and node sieges? You create a lag wall of proximity chat users. Do you know for sure that my system could avoid that stress load by selecting the turn off prox. chat option before I went into battle?
  • Options

You don't want to use discord if you don't have to. Opinion accepted (No arguments on that point.)

The bit about it being harder to moderate than existing systems.
    It is, there will always be people that behave in a manner that is actionable for sure, but the instances of it will be lower when the reason people join parties is normally to accomplish something productive. That normally tends to lower the cases of abuse. It is far more likely that someone will be board in town, and use proximity chat to cause trouble.

The bit about offline gathering and file sharing making discord superior?
    Yes, it actually does.

The bit about discord being for "friends".
    I would argue that discord is more for friends from Games (including MMOs) than for friends in the IRL since.
    (I am assuming your meaning). It is far more likely that I am going to deal with IRL friends in person or facebook than Discord. Discord is a like a ever present friends list from all of the games I have played.
    Also, many times friends from past games have messaged or called me on discord to ask about a similar game that I am playing presently. That's good advertising. Scale that concept across all AoC discord users, and you got a large free advertisement for the game.

In the case of "TheLazyPeon".
    I think he is talking about his personal discord server. I am not super familiar with him, but I would imagine that like most content creators he has his own discord server. Maybe he is just not using that discord server. I don't think he is talking about uninstalling the program.

I feel like I have stated my opinions clearly on this. If not:
    I will accept the features stated on the wiki. I am not in favor of proximity chat.
    Cheers.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    We all know how this get's used, some moron playing music over the VC so everyone can hear (yes u say mute) Some idiot running thru town yelling "I'm in the mood to run in the nude" Look like they said, you've plenty of voice chat options, pick 1. No need to waste their time on something many of us will find a distraction and a bother just to have to mute some twit.

It brings nothing positive to the world, that you don't and can't have with chat and discord. Hearing voice chat reminds me of Rust, "Hey buddy, ya you, hey come here I got a new weapon for you", then stabby stabby!
  • Options
    It will only be usable within parties, raids and guilds. Don't automatically assume it will be mindlessly allowed in nodes. The devs won't let that happen. I think the built-in feature for groups and guilds is perfect and is something a polished MMO should have.
  • Options
    LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    >Down a player
    Downed Player: "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

:j Hmmm..
  • Options
    Foxhole is a game that showed my the Proxy Voice can work.

But you need the ability to quickly mute someone. Like 2 clicks to mute and it the mute option must be easy to understand and to access.
    It also showed me that push to talk is a must for public voice channels.

It can work and help a lot with socializing but it has to be done right.
    As i said in another Topic.
    You do it like Voice actors.
    Top Quallity or not at all.
    There is no inbetween.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    loghan wrote: »
    I don't pretend to know these sorts of details so this truly is just an open question to you all... for me i'm all about Ashes' goal to reach 500v500 player battles, instead of only 250v250. I value that goal above the option of in game proximity chat. So for me personally, before I can say "yeah im fine with whatever voice options since this doesn't affect me" I would need to be told that open world massive use of proximity chat won't cause lag.

The specific example being, if I am attacking a castle and from a distance I hear nothing but once I get in range, suddenly the 250 members of that castle defending it all have their mics on and all are broadcasting a noise, any noise, music, static, grunts, would my game suddenly crash or massive drop in frame rate the moment my system has to be acknowledge that I just walked into range of 250 unique voices. Would this become the meta for castle and node sieges? You create a lag wall of proximity chat users. Do you know for sure that my system could avoid that stress load by selecting the turn off prox. chat option before I went into battle?

The feature WILL be in the game for raids and groups already - of course if Everyone had to choose between 500v500 or voice chat, nobody would go for voice chat buts not even the point...
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    edited August 2020

You don't want to use discord if you don't have to. Opinion accepted (No arguments on that point.)

The bit about it being harder to moderate than existing systems.
    It is, there will always be people that behave in a manner that is actionable for sure, but the instances of it will be lower when the reason people join parties is normally to accomplish something productive. That normally tends to lower the cases of abuse. It is far more likely that someone will be board in town, and use proximity chat to cause trouble.

The bit about offline gathering and file sharing making discord superior?
    Yes, it actually does.

The bit about discord being for "friends".
    I would argue that discord is more for friends from Games (including MMOs) than for friends in the IRL since.
    (I am assuming your meaning). It is far more likely that I am going to deal with IRL friends in person or facebook than Discord. Discord is a like a ever present friends list from all of the games I have played.
    Also, many times friends from past games have messaged or called me on discord to ask about a similar game that I am playing presently. That's good advertising. Scale that concept across all AoC discord users, and you got a large free advertisement for the game.

In the case of "TheLazyPeon".
    I think he is talking about his personal discord server. I am not super familiar with him, but I would imagine that like most content creators he has his own discord server. Maybe he is just not using that discord server. I don't think he is talking about uninstalling the program.

I feel like I have stated my opinions clearly on this. If not:
    I will accept the features stated on the wiki. I am not in favor of proximity chat.
    Cheers.

My bad. Peon was indeed talking about his server. I'll remove it.
    As for whichever is superior, let me rephrase it: Would you disturb your ingame friend to tab away and open his Discord for a call, or just call him directly? I know I worded it too straight-forward but it's the truth.

You say it's an opinion but you know you could just mute it. I don't get the hate. It's an MMO that doesn't even have l0lies, not VRChat :/ okay ..
  • Options
    As for whichever is superior, let me rephrase it: Would you disturb your ingame friend to tab away and open his Discord for a call, or just call him directly? I know I worded it too straight-forward but it's the truth.

You say it's an opinion but you know you could just mute it. I don't get the hate. It's an MMO that doesn't even have l0lies, not VRChat :/ okay ..

Absolutely. I fact I get annoyed if anyone tries to call me on anything other than discord if they know I am both at my computer, and they also use discord. I have everything set up just right with discord. There are a lot of features in discord that a lot of other alternatives or games with VC don't have.

I am very pro competition, but using a sub-system within a game to try and compete with a free product that is focused on a single goal, and will always have wider adoption than a single game. That seems wasteful to me.

You also seem to have a issue with "Tabbing" over to discord. That hints to me that you maybe be playing your games in "Fullscreen" instead of "Fullscreen Windowed" or just have a single monitor. If true I could understand your frustration.

I would not be hurt by having proximity chat, I would just disable it 99% of the time. You are right about that. I just fear that it is a waste of resources. Last game I played with proximity chat was Atlas. A game built with proximity chat in mind. I can't remember anyone actually trying to use it. They just used text or discord. I can't remember anyone actually using it for long in any game I have played with it. That is how I formed my not worth it opinion.

"Lolies", I think we are of one mind on that. XD
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Why is people acting like Alt-Tabing a videogame is the hardest thing ever??

You Alt-Tab to discord, or youtube, or whatever you want and it's not the end of the world... for me in-game voice chat breaks more the inmersion than tabbing to discord, honestly.

Just Alt-Tab (pshhhhhhhhhhh *mind explosion*)
  • Options
    TyrantorTyrantor Member
    edited August 2020
    Not all voice chat is going to be age appropriate, politically correct or even game related. I personally wouldn't want to have to wonder if "big brother" is listening to my group chat just so the game can have a feature to "hear when someone is near" - I think that feature is already in the game called, killing NPCs, running, spell casting, etc.

If you can't figure out if you're around someone, that's on you the game shouldn't be designed around a players inability to comprehend their environment.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    I just don't think that people are not going to use it enough to justify its existence. There is another thread about group voice chat. Something I do advocate for, and is going to be in the game.
    [...]
    Discord or any other out of game voice chat is always going to be superior.

Hi, I am new to this community and I just created an account to post a discussion on how good it would be Proximity Voice Chat in AoC until I saw this discussion already existed and I am sad that so many people are against this idea.
    I just want to say how much I would use it (so for me its existence would be justified) and why in this case I think it could be superior to discord.

First of all RP. Imagine entering a tavern or a city and seeing someone roleplaying, telling the story of how the maid of the town did an epic battle and won and how everyone there loves him and that's why everyone voted him as a maid. You can listen to him, without him being a friend you know on discord. Roleplaying could be a real thing, although I agree, in a minority. Of course, there would also be people just yelling at the mic or having their own conversations or playing music, but as someone else said, you could just walk away, mute them or mute the voice chat.

But just take a moment to think about RP. What is RP exactly? Roleplaying is just acting as a character. When do we act as a character without even being concious about it? When we are inmersed in a game, when we feel we are our character. Roleplaying is inmersive and inmersion is roleplaying.

So finally, inmersion. The gameplay and the flow could be totally different with a nice proximity voice chat:
    - Maids in their nodes could make assemblies and discuss the way of attacking other nodes or the way of organising the node.
    - Commerce would be easier.
    - You could know strangers and make friends in a more organic way not via text messages.
    - And another cool aspect: The combat. Think about a siege with proximity combat.

Only problem I see with voice chats in general is toxicity. I am never toxic either in chat or in voice chat (or try really hard not to be), but I know there are people who are toxic, specially in pvp games, so somethings could turn out wrong with that. But I think the positive things outweight the negatives ones. What's your opinion on all what I said bro?
  • Options
    Hyprax wrote: »
    First of all RP.

Think about it as Garry's mod RP, would be cool af.

• Options
    MerekMerek Member
    edited September 2020
    It was horrendous in New World, you couldn't enter a town without someone blasting some incoherent rap bullshit. It's a hard no from me, people have Discord for a reason.
  • Options
    DemidreamerDemidreamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No thanks. See ya.
  • Options
    shadissshadiss Member
    edited September 2020
    Also a strong no on this one. There are plenty of resources outside of the game if people want to use voice chat. Just leave the conversations for proximity chat and emote interaction. This just creates too much of an avenue for the toxic players that we want to keep away as much as possible. I am also concerned about how much bandwidth and other resources this capability would use, when those resources might have been better used elsewhere.
  • Options
    It can be bad enough searching for the ignore key in the chat box, let alone having random kid's, idiot's, drunk's, attention seekers shouting BS when ever you get in ear shot. I go down my local pub for that.

No thankyou, if wanner talk to me in game you can go through discord and that goes for raid's, parties ... etc
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
  • Options
    ...only if there is the option to completely mute it. I' m happy to use Discord, Teamspeak etc., but only with the ppl i want to have conversation with. On the other hand since (some) ppl are often dumb, the GMs will have to take care of a lot of harrassment - so why waste the time and energy to implement this at all?
    giphy.gif
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
    Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    I honestly would like to see it for caravans at least. I think it would be way easier to just say over the mic "Pay us or this caravan is dead" than to waste time typing it.
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »
    I honestly would like to see it for caravans at least. I think it would be way easier to just say over the mic "Pay us or this caravan is dead" than to waste time typing it.

Action's speak louder than word's.
    When my axe is swinging for your head. Your get the idea what im after :)
    After ive smashed you and your men i could turn on the mic to laugh down, just to rub insult to injury, but im not that childish >:)
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little