Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Proximity Voice Chat Poll

Seeing how well the other poll went over, I thought it'd be a good idea to find peoples thoughts on proximity voice chat, aka the ability for others to hear you talking if within a certain range. This poll contains a few general options I think should encompass everyone's thoughts on the issue, feel free to also make your voice known below.

https://strawpoll.com/4wgjqugaq

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    it will be a game breaker if I walk into town and hear hundreds of peoples voice communications mingling all around me. I do not like the idea at all. People can troll with it and annoy others. I don't want to stroll past people and hear external music either...
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Knowing how toxic this can get I am completely against this. If I want to talk to somebody there is discord.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Yes, the last thing I need is to walk into a town, and get my ear drums blasted by players with poor mics.

No thankyou
  • proximity voice chat in an MMO isnt likely something that can be done with any polish. To many people using voip in one place is not only chaotic but extremely stressful on the servers. Party voip is as far as the feature needs to be defined. That in of itself is good enough. I like the ability to be able to add randoms and communicate freely.
  • WMC51WMC51 Member
    Hate it. In game optional group voice is all that is needed.
  • RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Party Voice would be alright, but I think most people would already have a voice chat they can share. I like the idea of having open voice chat, but just like many people have said... it will be more hurtful than helpful.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

• To build on top of this, I'd like an option to toggle off these things. There's a lot of room for this to become very toxic.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    This is not PUBG its a terrible idea in my opinion, have a good day.
  • KohlKohl Member
    Seeing how well the other poll went over, I thought it'd be a good idea to find peoples thoughts on proximity voice chat, aka the ability for others to hear you talking if within a certain range. This poll contains a few general options I think should encompass everyone's thoughts on the issue, feel free to also make your voice known below.

https://strawpoll.com/4wgjqugaq
    Neurath wrote: »
    it will be a game breaker if I walk into town and hear hundreds of peoples voice communications mingling all around me. I do not like the idea at all. People can troll with it and annoy others. I don't want to stroll past people and hear external music either...

Check out holdfast: Nations at war as a living testament to this.
    Although fun at times, people scream on the mic like animals who had just discovered tools. I was legit shooting people from distance, well hidden, when a fucker came from behind me and yelled "DIE BITCH" scared the shit out of me.
    I can see the appeal, but it's hardly doable in an mmorpg.
    Maybe proximity VOIP inside a PARTY or guildmates. Otherwise no.
  • Inside parties is fine. Of course, if you’re grouping with strangers and you don’t have a male voice you’re going to get harassed for it and you may not be up for that, so that’ll influence the experience of the game for certain people if the playerbase expects everyone to use it in pugs. But, mentioning that is literally against the rules because the lived experience of women is inconvenient to the company.
  • violets wrote: »
    Inside parties is fine. Of course, if you’re grouping with strangers and you don’t have a male voice you’re going to get harassed for it and you may not be up for that, so that’ll influence the experience of the game for certain people if the playerbase expects everyone to use it in pugs. But, mentioning that is literally against the rules because the lived experience of women is inconvenient to the company.

Do you see now, why people don't like you? You turn everything into 'men bad'.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    I don't get it... the argument that it's toxic and people that don't like this feature so it shouldn't be in the game doesn't make sense, you can just TURN IT OFF like in every other game... make it turned off by default lol, I think having proximity-based voice chat would be an excellent feature.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • As long as you can mute it if you don't want to hear it.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • NypamNypam Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So many games implement voice chat but it is never very much successful in terms of experience. Many other platforms such as Discord / Teamspeak are there for that purpose. Why should Intrepid allocate resources to do it? In my opinion, it is overkill...
  • UlquiorraUlquiorra Member
    edited August 2020
    Always wanted this feature in an MMORPG for maximum immersion(or lead raids).
    People are getting more and more toxic but I don't care, bring it on! Completely open.

Discord is for friends. When you play with random, you need set up & permission to speak to them(and be expected to speak back), and tab away from the immersive full screen. ...just don't compare.
  • XylsXyls Member
    I think it's a good idea to have. I think it would be pretty obvious that there would be options to mute it permanently or mute individuals when needed. The option would be nice to have when you want to quest with someone or join a random dungeon group. Plus hearing people rage in voice chat after PvP is much more satisfying then rage whispers.
    SIG.png
    We are recruiting PvPers!
  • XylsXyls Member
    violets wrote: »
    Inside parties is fine. Of course, if you’re grouping with strangers and you don’t have a male voice you’re going to get harassed for it and you may not be up for that, so that’ll influence the experience of the game for certain people if the playerbase expects everyone to use it in pugs. But, mentioning that is literally against the rules because the lived experience of women is inconvenient to the company.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it or even just don't talk. It is sometimes helpful just to listen.
    SIG.png
  • No.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Oh by the six realms of shyish, please no
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Yeah, I don't fancy running around and start hearing chomping through someones microphone but nobody in sight. Discord is a thing. Voice chat for Raids / Groups toggle-able, sure - maybe.
    Nagash wrote: »

Again I ask.... obviously you would e able to turn it off and never use it, why people say No to an option that would make some people happy, and wouldn't affect you at all - if you just don't use it.. its literally the same thing of coming here and saying "just don't implement any religions in the game cuz i don't care about that, I don't like it and won't ever use it" lmaooo
    img]
    Liniker wrote: »

Again I ask.... obviously you would e able to turn it off and never use it, why people say No to an option that would make some people happy, and wouldn't affect you at all - if you just don't use it.. its literally the same thing of coming here and saying "just don't implement any religions in the game cuz i don't care about that, I don't like it and won't ever use it" lmaooo

One. Game lore is different from game features.
    Two. We live in a day and age where chat apps a widely used to communicate effectively why should they add it?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • XylsXyls Member
    Seriously, like is there even a game out there with voice chat built in where you CAN'T turn it off? Why do people think this would ever be perma on... its weird.
    SIG.png
    Xyls wrote: »
    Seriously, like is there even a game out there with voice chat built in where you CAN'T turn it off? Why do people think this would ever be perma on... its weird.

I don't see that as the problem. I just see it as a waste of time and resources and it seems the devs share the same view as they already said no to proximity voice chat.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• As long as it is toggleable I do not care if its in or not. If they do not add it as a proximity thing, I would at least like some form of in game group chat though, I do not want to have to leave the game to find and join a discord every time I join a group.
  • frogboundfrogbound Member
    edited August 2020
    Personally I would love for proximity voicechat to be in AoC.
    It just adds so much to RP. For me Text Based RP is absolute garbage and not enjoyable at all.
    Using a microphone like GTA V RP is amazing and fun.

For concerns like back ground noise, peaking, and all the other fun stuff that comes with it:
    Make it Push to Talk only and most of it is filtered out.
    Abusive chats will never be a thing that can be circumvented so report those people and make it so that the ignore function blocks them in chat and voice chat and you should be good.
    edited August 2020
    Xyls wrote: »

I don't see that as the problem. I just see it as a waste of time and resources and it seems the devs share the same view as they already said no to proximity voice chat.

In my opinion, every feature in-game that isn't harmful to anyone in any way and is optional - you can literally toggle off and choose not to use it, is not a waste of time, since it would make people that enjoy the feature happy - that's opinion based. For myself, having emotes and interaction with objects like chairs and roleplay stuff is useless, however I would never go on someone else's post saying "pls don't add this cuz I don't like it so don't waste resources and time on shit I don't like" you get my point? :p
    img]
  • SussurroSussurro Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Thanks for the link @Undead Canuck I like the ideas it puts forward, I think they sound reasonable.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett, Reaper Man
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer all of the options given in the pole to be open. However, the option to turn it off needs to be there as well. Chat block is a standard feature in MMO's for a reason. Also, it would be nice to have the option to automatically turn off out of party voice chat in heavily crowded areas.