Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be funny if you ask for a Tank for a group and rather than the 8 Completed Archetypes you only get replies from level 24 Primary Archetypes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ShoximityShoximity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited August 2020
    @Nagash Im not the only one who has had complaints/problems with class names. I’m half trolling. There is some real interest on wondering why a class was named as such, but a class name isn’t going to determine if the game is great, mediocre, or trash. However, many things have been changed and done off of ne person’s good idea. If you think I’m the only one with this idea, you would be wrong my friend.
  • Options
    AdlehydeAdlehyde Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    Adlehyde wrote: »
    Cripsus wrote: »
    @StevenSharif is this true good sir? You aren’t willing to adjust class names? I believe I bring some valid points, and I would like to know your reasoning behind the name choice.

So you want them to change a class based on one person?

Lets not pretend it's remotely one person though.

Let's not pretend it's not even 1% of the player base though

I'm definitely not pretending it's not even 1% of the playerbase. I imagine it's quite a bit more. Probably less than 50% sure, but there's no harm in calling a bad decision a bad decision.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The problem is you have no proof to back that claim
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Look through this forums past posts, plenty of proof. I don’t want to do the work for you. You can’t claim there is no proof if you haven’t taken the time to look for it yourself.
  • Options

No more or less than the proof you have. What I wonder is why you assert that the number of people who find it to be a bad name would be low? It has been complained about regularly since it was revealed, with very few people disagreeing. Some don't like it, some don't care, but no one really seems to love it. Seems reasonable to conclude that the percent of the population that would like to see it changed is not an insignificant amount.
  • Options
    I think it's just not THAT big a deal for Tank to be the archetype me. It's just not a great name and I can't see how some think it is. Let's just name all the DPS archetype "DPS with Bow", "DPS with Magic", "DPS with Melee"
  • Options
    xXBelocXxxXBelocXx Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    You are forgetting the other names:

Self-Propelled Sandbag
    Meat-Shield
    Damage Sponge
    Mana Sponge (for the squishy ones)
    Aggro Battery

;)
  • Options

Look through this forums past posts, plenty of proof. I don’t want to do the work for you. You can’t claim there is no proof if you haven’t taken the time to look for it yourself.

I have. You would need to have over 50% of the player base to agree with you to change the name to something else and from everything we have seen over the past 2 years that's not whats happened. if that was the case people like me would not disagree.

No more or less than the proof you have. What I wonder is why you assert that the number of people who find it to be a bad name would be low? It has been complained about regularly since it was revealed, with very few people disagreeing. Some don't like it, some don't care, but no one really seems to love it. Seems reasonable to conclude that the percent of the population that would like to see it changed is not an insignificant amount.

I'm not the one trying to change a class name so it not on my but on you to prove your claim.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    "whats your class?"

"I'm DPS with Bow with splash of DPS with Magic. I call it DPS with Bow Magic"
  • Options
    I'm not the one trying to change a class name so it not on my but on you to prove your claim.

I did not make a claim to prove or for you to disprove. I told you I think it is reasonable to assume, based on the quantity of complaints that whatever percentage of people that would like to see the name changed, that quantity is very likely to not be insignificant.

Why do you think this is a statement of fact that requires proof for validity? It's an educated guess of mine at best.

It's like you're showing someone a container of jelly beans, asking how many are green, and they go "I don't know. I saw quite a few, seemed like a decent amount? Less than half probably, but there were plenty in there." And you go "You don't have proof!"
  • Options
    @StevenSharif is this true good sir? You aren’t willing to adjust class names? I believe I bring some valid points, and I would like to know your reasoning behind the name choice.

You can’t make up fake statistics and believe it as true. Just because you are fine with it or impartial doesn’t mean there isn’t a silent majority that would also prefer a different name. I made the post because I feel it’s not a good name. Others here have expressed they are indifferent or have agreed other names would be better within this very thread. This is Stevens baby, so I’m sure he has his reasons and logical explanation. He obviously put a lot of thought into the names, however doesn’t mean he can’t make mistakes or others don’t agree with his decisions.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    10032819929118.jpg

Don't mess with the Jelly Beans.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I think it's just not THAT big a deal for Tank to be the archetype me. It's just not a great name and I can't see how some think it is. Let's just name all the DPS archetype "DPS with Bow", "DPS with Magic", "DPS with Melee"

Right. If I were to take the simplicty of the other 7, Bard, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Summoner, Fighter, Mage, and apply it to the tank class, I'd call it Defender probably. If I were to take the gamer jargon of the tank class and apply it to the other 7, I'd call them, Support, Healer, Stealth, Ranged, Pet, Melee, Magic.

Just looking for some consistency. haha.
  • Options
    I'm for an M1 Abrams tank to be their archetype picture.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options

Right. If I were to take the simplicty of the other 7, Bard, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Summoner, Fighter, Mage, and apply it to the tank class, I'd call it Defender probably. If I were to take the gamer jargon of the tank class and apply it to the other 7, I'd call them, Support, Healer, Stealth, Ranged, Pet, Melee, Magic.

Just looking for some consistency. haha.

Exactly this!
  • Options

You can’t make up fake statistics and believe it as true. Just because you are fine with it or impartial doesn’t mean there isn’t a silent majority that would also prefer a different name. I made the post because I feel it’s not a good name. Others here have expressed they are indifferent or have agreed other names would be better within this very thread. This is Stevens baby, so I’m sure he has his reasons and logical explanation. He obviously put a lot of thought into the names, however doesn’t mean he can’t make mistakes or others don’t agree with his decisions.

Ok first that was a joke in passing and not real statistics. Second I just don't care about class names I just don't agree with people saying they speak for the whole group. There are many better names for tank than tank and I know that but why should they have to change it, because you and some other people said so?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited August 2020

Ok first that was a joke in passing and not real statistics. Second I just don't care about class names I just don't agree with people saying they speak for the whole group. There are many better names for tank than tank and I know that but why should they have to change it, because you and some other people said so?

See, but I didn't say I speak for the whole group. No one did. One person asked a question and you erroneously bashed that person for assuming steven would change their mind just because of them. Then you got like... weirdly argumentative, which is weird, because you usually aren't in other threads.

Edit: But as to the final question, not because anyone said so. Suggestions and feedback are just suggestions and feedback. But they should change it, for no reason other than, it's actually a good idea.
  • Options
    I think you guys taking this a little too seriously. They can call them fart goblins and it probably wouldn't matter.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not sorry to have this spicy hot take but...there's nothing wrong with tanks being called tanks, there is nothing wrong with it in any way whatsoever.
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I think you guys taking this a little too seriously. They can call them fart goblins and it probably wouldn't matter.

Nothing wrong with people being passionate about something they like.

Now give me all your loot yuyu.
  • Options
    Nyoooooo. Mine! XD

I mean ya but damn do they like their names.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options

See, but I didn't say I speak for the whole group. No one did. One person asked a question and you erroneously bashed that person for assuming steven would change their mind just because of them. Then you got like... weirdly argumentative, which is weird, because you usually aren't in other threads.

Sorry if I seemed argumentative as that was not my intent, I think I'm just tired of seeing these kinds of threads (devs change the game threads because ....) that they start to get to me. You spend so much time reading these types of threads and give the same points you start seeing everyone as the same.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Nyoooooo. Mine! XD

I mean ya but damn do they like their names.

Because making names are fun! If I had the power, I'd probably change about 1/5 of the actual class names too, but I don't think that's actually necessary for any of them. Not really a good or bad idea. I DO think changing the archetype of Tank to something else would be a good idea though. No reason to give new audiences when the game goes live a reason to go "The fuck is it called tank for?" even if in the long run, people won't actually care.

Like, it's a good idea, but low priority.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020

Sorry if I seemed argumentative as that was not my intent, I think I'm just tired of seeing these kinds of threads (devs change the game threads because ....) that they start to get to me. You spend so much time reading these types of threads and give the same points you start seeing everyone as the same.

Nagash is old, we need to care for him. As brittle as he is a small gust of wind would off him!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I’m still playing the game regardless of the names. However, seems very uncharacteristic to name a class “Tank” based on how the other classes are named. So, if I was on the game development team, this would have been an area I would question is all. I’m not though, so the best I can do is post to a forum and hope they see it and are ok with their decision. If they are happy with their creation, than let’s hope it doesn’t turn to ashes off of one ill advised name.
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

Nagash is old, we need to care for him. As brittle as he is a small gust of wind would off him!

This is you

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Ahm if one would ask me what I find odd about this beautiful game it would be the name 'tank' yeah. Hope they consider changing it!!
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Damokles wrote: »

This is you

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

And thats you my friend ^^:
    giphy.gif
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Hello all, I believe this discussion may have come up before, but I really would like Steven and friends to reconsider the name “Tank”. Overall, they have done a good job at naming the other classes and subclasses, but they completely ruin the immersion of the game by using the class name “tank”. Tank was a code name given to military vehicles being created in 1915. It has been a slang term for classes and archetypes in many video games given to the role that is used to absorb/mitigate or “tank” damage. Having a class name as tank ruins the immersion. It’s like naming your cat “Cat”. It’s cute and puny, but is that what they really want for their game? What class do you play? Oh, I play a tank! Yea, but like what class? TANK!! *insert meme of a tank with a face on it... drooling*

Really? Do you really think that every other name has been named well? Guess I'm the only one that sees the words shadow and sword being repeated a billion times across the class list.