Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    Blasco wrote: »
    Roleplay in most cases refers to taking on a role that is lore friendly, right? If they make lore that supports tank as a name will you be happy?
    Tank as a combat role is not confusing if that is the archetype where the majority of the tanking abilities are focused. How lame the term might be for an archetype name is subjective.
    The devs already know that some people hate the name and want it changed. Demands for change occurred immediately after the class list was first shared more than 3 years ago, so we'll just have to wait and see if the devs ever choose to change it.
  • Options
    Tank is an appropriate name for what the class and role does. It has a specific meaning in the RPG community and that’s who the game is being made for.

On top of that, they’ve got 64 “class” names they are using for the archetype combos, so you already have eight different names for tank if you really have an issue with calling it a tank.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    For roleplay, you can call the archetypes and classes anything you want - as long as the people you're talking to understand what you mean.
    Within a couple of weeks, NPCs will probably be using your class name rather than your Archetype name.
    They might even be using your title...and that might kick in before class names.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    Just imagine you are reading Tolkien or other fantasy book:

Then the Tank charged the enemy with his shield and powerful axe, and the orcs were screaming "Noo! He is the Tank!"

Lmaoo no please
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »

Then the Tank charged the enemy with his shield and powerful axe, and the orcs were screaming "Noo! He is the Tank!"

Lmaoo no please

Well thats the neat thing about ashes, you dont know the lore yet so you shouldnt be complaining when they release something that explains it, right?
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    Sathrago wrote: »

Lmaoo no please

Well thats the neat thing about ashes, you dont know the lore yet so you shouldnt be complaining when they release something that explains it, right?

Hahahaha please explain! I want to know the lore about calling people "Tanks". Are we going again with the "Water tanks" argument? Because they (maybe) had water tanks made of metal in that world and they resemble people in armor?? That's an argument so silly it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

Lmaoo no please

Hahahaha please explain! I want to know the lore about calling people "Tanks". Are we going again with the "Water tanks" argument? Because they (maybe) had water tanks made of metal in that world and they resemble people in armor?? That's an argument so silly it's ridiculous.

saying the lore cant support it without knowing what the lore is, in my opinion, the definition of ridiculous.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
  • Options
    BigEBigE Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is the first time i've ever heard this brought up. It's tank, healer, dps roles not classes. It's the perfect and simple way to describe your role. Ranger is a damage role. Not one ranger would be offended by being called damage. Tank is a badass term for someone that is on the frontline. That's why it's called a tank. Soldiers hide behind tanks. It's perfect.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    @Sathrago Yeah dude! let's defend the indefensible instead of admitting they didn't think much of it and decided to leave it like this.

Wich is okay, Steven does what the hell he wants, but the way you guys are trying to excuse him and make it like its all about the lore and perfectly fits the world, its fanatical and sad.
  • Options
    @Sathrago Yeah dude! let's defend the indefensible instead of admitting they didn't think much of it and decided to leave it like this.

Wich is okay, Steven does what the hell he wants, but the way you guys are trying to excuse him and make it like its all about the lore and perfectly fits the world, its fanatical and sad.

I really don't care that the name is Tank past the fact that I can waste some time in this thread for fun. No sleep or stress lost on my part, what about you?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think no matter what term Tolkien used instead of tank, the prose would have been way better than yours, and his use of Tank in his own prose would have sounded wondrous.

"Do you really mean that Sathrago is one of the people of the old Kings? I thought they had all vanished long ago. I thought he was only a Tank."
    "Only a Tank! My dear Frodo, that is precisely who the Tanks are: the last remnant in the North of the great people, the Men of the East."

"Lonely men are we Tanks of the Undermountain, soldiers - but soldiers ever in battle with the servants of the Enemy; for they are found in many places, not in Mordor only."

Works fine for me.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yeah dude! let's defend the indefensible
    It is not indefensible.

The class could have taken it's name in the exact same way as tank vehicles took their name. It is no less ludicrous that the vehicles we know of ass tanks are called tanks - we just all live with that fact because we don't know any better.

Additionally, it can be defended by the simple fact that it is what players are going to call them regardless of what Intrepid calls them.

Calling something indefensible when there are two perfectly valid defenses in front of you is a really weird thing to do - even if you don't personally like those defenses.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    I very much agree with you Nooani
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, since Tank Tank is already Guardian, I dont see the point of such a stupid class name as Tank

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes#Classes_by_archetype_combination
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    I think no matter what term Tolkien used instead of tank, the prose would have been way better than yours, and his use of Tank in his own prose would have sounded wondrous.

"Do you really mean that Sathrago is one of the people of the old Kings? I thought they had all vanished long ago. I thought he was only a Tank."
    "Only a Tank! My dear Frodo, that is precisely who the Tanks are: the last remnant in the North of the great people, the Men of the East."

"Lonely men are we Tanks of the Undermountain, soldiers - but soldiers ever in battle with the servants of the Enemy; for they are found in many places, not in Mordor only."

Works fine for me.

Im sorry, I tried. Im from spain so my english is very poor. What you wrote was dope tho.
  • Options
    Im sorry, I tried. Im from spain so my english is very poor. What you wrote was dope tho.
    Hablas inglés mejor que yo hablo español.
    I should think about trying to read the Hobbit in Spanish. I wish I had thought of trying to do that when I was in High School!

• Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Hablas inglés mejor que yo hablo español.
    I should think about trying to read the Hobbit in Spanish. I wish I had thought of trying to do that when I was in High School!

It's honestly not a bad translation either. Read it myself in Spanish and it retains quite well some of the Tolkienisms, although it perhaps feels less.... ancient? Still it's very a much a children's book so perhaps the level of depth from Lotr and the Silmarillion is not warranted.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    If you're calling the tank class 'tank'
    Why not have the cleric called 'heal'
    That's why I thought the tank was an odd name choice...
    Just call it guardian and have a guardian/guardian be a phalanx or some such...
  • Options

A "phalanx" is a unit of soldiers, not an individual soldier. To call it a phalanx would be even more ridiculous.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

Not all flavors of tank fall under guardian yet they all fall under tank. You forget that tank will be used as an augment as well.
  • Options
    I support the name Tank because if it's not named that then you will see people try to argue that they are supposed to DPS as the Tank class. People will fully expect pretty much all tanks in the game to be tanks for every party in the game. With few exceptions because I doubt they will ever do comparable damage to any other archetype.

I expect them to be Tank/support with dps rotations you are naturally going to do to increase the groups dps, but I doubt their damage is going to compare to primary damage archetypes. Since if they did do comparable damage then they would unbalance PvP completely and make the game suck since a full group of tanks would overpower every combination in PvP.

So for that reason it's a really good name because it destroys stupid people's dreams of doing top dps as a tank which likely won't be possible.

Vanilla WoW had a couple extremely shitty builds in it that people picked. Melee hunters, Balance Druids, and Arcane Mages are all good examples of what picking a Tank for DPS will probably be like in this game. So the name Tank doesn't give you any stupid ideas of what they fully expect the primary archetype to do. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    We could call a Cleric a Healer. That's just not the word the game happens to use - especially since Ashes Clerics are not as focused on primarily healing as they are in previous MMORPGs.
    Tank for people who tank is no worse than Fighter for people who fight.

Tanks soak damage, so that fits with a heavy, metal plated object that soaks up something, like water.
  • Options
    Cleric gives you the idea that healing should be their primary concern. All others should be secondary concerns unless there are ways to both heal and do damage. Which there likely will be with clerics. However, Tanking and DPS are generally opposition to each other. Since in most MMO's classes take damage cuts if their survivability is meant to be high.

Tanking doesn't have the same balance associated with it that hybrids generally would be. Since High Threat Generation is a trait they have at the expense of others.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

A "phalanx" is a unit of soldiers, not an individual soldier. To call it a phalanx would be even more ridiculous.

He is tank/tank the shield'iest of shields... One might say a one man phalanx...
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

He is tank/tank the shield'iest of shields... One might say a one man phalanx...

One might not say that as well.

Not all tanks will use shields. As such, Phalanx is automatically inappropriate.
  • Options

I want to re-suggest my favorite alternative. TankyMcTankFace
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Jesus people really are passionate about this one. 830 comments. Lol it's just a name. It's not even your final class's name.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    edited June 2021
    Jesus people really are passionate about this one. 830 comments. Lol it's just a name. It's not even your final class's name.

Exactly, is the primary class, archetype or whatever you wanna call it. That doesn't make it better.

Just imagine an NPC telling you: "You are a brave TANK, adventurer, and I know you want to become a Nightshield... but you have to first do this quest that will prove you are a true Nightshield, and not a TANK, because you know you are a simple TANK right now, but you will stop being a TANK to be a Nightshield, okay TANK?"

The game is gonna be like that and don't tell me otherwise.
  • Options
    "You are a brave Tank. You will need to accrue quite a bit of experience before you become a Nightshield."

Sounds, perfect to me.
    A Nightshield is a type of Tank, so there is no point where a Nightshield is not a Tank.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter

To be fair there are a lot better names for the final ones too, though I will be a cultist I think so as long as I don't change class I'll be fine =p