Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Recluse74 wrote: »
    In todays world, you can choose tank as an Archetype, but identify as something else if you want.

Can I be a tank, but identify as a submarine?
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    In todays world, you can choose tank as an Archetype, but identify as something else if you want.

No.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member

Yeah exactly. Pick Tank/Tank Archetype and identify as a healer
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

Yeah exactly. Pick Tank/Tank Archetype and identify as a healer

Tank/Tank healing a teammate circa 2023, colorized.

vRrBOhV.gif?noredirect
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options

Actually, submarines are based on water tanks, and the word "tank" in games comes from water tanks, so why don't we change the name to Submarine?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Or just Marine?
  • Options
    literally one of the roles of a tank is to take attention and fire away from the infantry - hey isn't that what tanks do in mmo's?.. interesting how that works eh? honestly if you're going to complain just to complain you can probably make a similar case for most other class names. i get that you're bored waiting for the game like the rest of us but come on :D
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Marcet wrote: »
    Actually, submarines are based on water tanks

No they aren't
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Marcet wrote: »
    Actually, submarines are based on water tanks

No they aren't

They're inverse water tanks!

water tank - compartment to store water in one place.
    knat retaw (submarine) - compartment to store water outside of one place.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    The discussion has been up here and there, many people share your sentiment. So it's an ok discussion to have.
    However, saying "tank" can't be the name "because it's a military vehicle" is a stupid argument. No one thinks of "military vehicle" in a fantasy MMORPG where there are no military vehicles (as we know them IRL, there are vehicles like trebuchets). Or if the game had actual military/army style stuff, like DCUO had. I don't go into wow thinking "the tank" is a Panzer. (I'm getting ideas of a skit where the raid tank is called Panzer and this ensues into a massive confusion, but this only works as a ridiculous joke).
    Q7a6dqA.png
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Member
    edited May 2021
    However, saying "tank" can't be the name "because it's a military vehicle" is a stupid argument. No one thinks of "military vehicle" in a fantasy MMORPG where there are no military vehicles (as we know them IRL, there are vehicles like trebuchets).
    Well as far as known (english isn't my native language), tank refer to military vehicle or a container. None of theses definition really fit an adventurer profession in a fantasy world. I didn't read all the topic but i guess this point have be made plenty of time.

If tank only appear in character creationn fine, but if it's on my character sheet after, it will be a bit more annoying.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Jayma wrote: »
    However, saying "tank" can't be the name "because it's a military vehicle" is a stupid argument. No one thinks of "military vehicle" in a fantasy MMORPG where there are no military vehicles (as we know them IRL, there are vehicles like trebuchets).
    Well as far as known (english isn't my native language), tank refer to military vehicle or a container. None of theses definition really fit an adventurer profession in a fantasy world. I didn't read all the topic but i guess this point have be made plenty of time.

If tank only appear in character creationn fine, but if it's on my character sheet after, it will be a bit more annoying.

Early 17th century: perhaps from Gujarati tānkũ or Marathi tānkẽ ‘underground cistern’, from Sanskrit tadāga ‘pond’, probably influenced by Portuguese tangue ‘pond’, from Latin stagnum . The military vehicle took its name from the use of tank as a secret code word during manufacture in 1915.

Technically even tank as an armored vehicle doesn't make sense.

But as per the common parlance, here is the top definition in Urban Dictionary:

Tank
    1. Any person who is exceptionally large, either in terms of height, weight; being built.

2. Any person who is exceptionally strong.
    Man! Hes a friggin' tank!

In that sense it perfectly fits the archetype
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Member
    Not sure a slang dictionnary is really a good reference.

And even their definition would probably never exist without the armored vehicles commonly named "tank".
    The only we associate tank with something resistant is the vehicle not various types of containers.

If the vehicle don't exist in world of ashe, it 's bit a awkward to use it commonly.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Let's be honest when you think tank in an MMO you don't think armored vehicle anyway. You think holy trinity Tank/Healer/DPS.

As such, it fits the common parlance. And as such it fits the archetype
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Member
    It's still gaming slang (that come from the vehicle).

Again if it's only in character creation, fine, if it made his way in character sheet or worst in npc dialog ("hi, we need a tank like you, can you help us?").
    That the type of little detail that can erode coherence of the world.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's still gaming slang (that come from the vehicle).

Again if it's only in character creation, fine, if it made his way in character sheet or worst in npc dialog ("hi, we need a tank like you, can you help us?").
    That the type of little detail that can erode coherence of the world.

whys that? what if in the game world tank is a type of guard?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Member
    What if in the game world melon is a type of guard?
    Aquarium?
    Rhododendron?
    We can go endless like this :)

Or we can with a very safe but a bit bland defensor, or better champion(maybe a bit too "shiny" for an archetype), or bulwark (yeah not a "profession" type, but at least it referece something resistant that exist in game world).
  • Options
    Aquarium?
    Rhododendron?

Or we can with a very safe but a bit bland defensor, or better champion(maybe a bit too "shiny" for an archetype), or bulwark (yeah not a "profession" type, but at least it referece something resistant that exist in game world).

If that's the games lore then sure I will play the Rhododendron class
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Aquarium?
    Rhododendron?

Hey I kinda like that. It will be funny to watch foreigners try to do call outs and ultimately just call them tanks for simplicity.

Wait a minute...
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Aquarium?
    Rhododendron?

Hey I kinda like that. It will be funny to watch foreigners try to do call outs and ultimately just call them tanks for simplicity.

Wait a minute...

tenor.gif?itemid=11180423
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    BlascoBlasco Member
    edited June 2021
    There's plenty of fantasy names for this archetype that would suit them better. Maybe we could name them Guardian and rename the tank-tank archetype "Protector" or "Shieldbearer".
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    I agree Tank is not really a immersive name , thought is was little silly when I first saw the class list on kickstarter. There is world of tanks if I want to play a "tank".
  • Options
    Merged in another new thread regarding the same topic <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    ErdunErdun Member
    edited June 2021
    I still support the idea of change the tank name, the name doesn't sounds good even if we are talking about a class or a archetypes. All the other archetypes sounds great and they comply the objective of imply what they functions are.

I really think a good option for remplase the actual tank name can be something like Defender.
  • Options
    Sholer wrote: »
    I still support the idea of change the tank name, the name doesn't sounds good even if we are talking about a class or a archetypes. All the other archetypes sounds great and they comply the objective of imply what they functions are.

I really think a good option for remplase the actual tank name can be something like Defender.

Oh you sneaky lil nugget, thought you could get by the ever stalwart, ever watching ToastTank!?

Addressing your points, tank perfectly fulfills the role of telling you what it does within its name and they can simply create lore to make the term and usage of tank a natural thing in Verra.
    Additionally not all tanks are defenders, what about the type of tank that ccs, kites, and destracts? That requires no real interaction with another player, it's a stretch to call them a defender, but tank still fits perfectly.
    Tank is a simple name to give players the direct idea of what to do with the archetype, for better or worse. I look forward to your response. :smile:
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just rename tank to Warden. Problem solved
  • Options
    ErdunErdun Member
    Sholer wrote: »

Oh you sneaky lil nugget, thought you could get by the ever stalwart, ever watching ToastTank!?

Addressing your points, tank perfectly fulfills the role of telling you what it does within its name and they can simply create lore to make the term and usage of tank a natural thing in Verra.
    Additionally not all tanks are defenders, what about the type of tank that ccs, kites, and destracts? That requires no real interaction with another player, it's a stretch to call them a defender, but tank still fits perfectly.
    Tank is a simple name to give players the direct idea of what to do with the archetype, for better or worse. I look forward to your response. :smile:

Tank just doesn't sound cool as the other archetypes, that is the problem, it isn't if fulfills the role of telling what it doies, the name Defender can do it too, prefectly says what the role he does.

"Additionally not all tanks are defenders" what the hell you mean? that is the first rol of a tank, DEFEND and take the damage, and if we see the actual skills of the tank right now is obviously their main rol is defend the others.

"Tank is a simple name to give players the direct idea of what to do with the archetype, for better or worse."

So Defender also do this, except that the name defender sounds too much better than the name tank. ;)
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited June 2021
    Conrad wrote: »

Wardens are basically glorified door guards for valuable places or things, not a good general term for tanks, but Tank is. :P
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Wardens are basically glorified door guards for valuable places or things, not a good general term for tanks, but Tank is. :P

If you are going to role-play in Ashes , Warden sounds much better then referring to someone as a Tank in a fantasy game. How does the word Tank even fit in a high fantasy world if actual tanks are not in the setting?
  • Options

If you are going to role-play in Ashes , Warden sounds much better then referring to someone as a Tank in a fantasy game. How does the word Tank even fit in a high fantasy world if actual tanks are not in the setting?

Roleplay in most cases refers to taking on a role that is lore friendly, right? If they make lore that supports tank as a name will you be happy?