Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

1373839404143»

Comments

• Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Interesting summary >

Here's a timeline highlighting the evolution and popularization of the term "tank" in MMORPGs:

1974: Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) is released, introducing the concept of character roles, including the tank-like "fighter" class. Tank roles in tabletop RPGs begin to establish their prominence.

1996: Meridian 59, one of the earliest graphical MMORPGs, is released. While not using the term "tank," the game features character archetypes with high durability and defensive capabilities.

Late 1990s: MMORPGs like Ultima Online and EverQuest gain popularity and introduce the classic trinity roles: tank, healer, and damage dealer. Players start using the term "tank" to describe characters who protect the group by drawing enemy attention.

Early 2000s: World of Warcraft (WoW) is released in 2004 and significantly contributes to the widespread use of the term "tank." WoW's emphasis on class roles and group dynamics solidifies the importance of tanks in MMORPGs.

Mid-2000s: MMORPGs such as Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, and Lineage II continue to feature tank roles, further establishing the term's usage within the genre.

2010s: MMORPGs like Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Elder Scrolls Online, and Final Fantasy XIV maintain the tank role, keeping the term "tank" prominent in player discussions and group compositions.

Present: The term "tank" remains firmly rooted in MMORPG vocabulary, used universally by players to describe the role responsible for absorbing damage, drawing enemy aggro, and protecting the group.

Throughout this timeline, the term "tank" has evolved and adapted as MMORPGs have evolved. While the core concept of a durable character fulfilling a protective role remains constant, specific mechanics, abilities, and class names may vary across different games. Nonetheless, the term "tank" continues to be widely recognized and used by MMORPG players to refer to this important role in group-based gameplay.

And a deeper dive even earlier >

Between 1913 and 1974, several developments in gaming and storytelling influenced the evolution of RPGs and, by extension, the tank archetype. Here are some notable highlights during this period:

Pulp Fiction and Adventure Stories: In the early to mid-20th century, pulp fiction magazines gained popularity, featuring adventure stories filled with heroic characters and daring exploits. These tales often included brave warriors or defenders who fought against overwhelming odds, inspiring the concept of durable characters in future RPGs.

War Games and Miniature Battles: War gaming continued to evolve during this period, with games like Chainmail (1971) and Little Wars (1913) introducing rules for large-scale miniature battles. These games allowed players to control armies and deploy heavily armored troops, including tanks, which influenced the strategic and tactical aspects of future RPGs.

Early RPG Precursors: Before the official release of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, various gaming systems and influences set the stage for RPGs. For example, Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (1971), a precursor to D&D, featured elements of role-playing and character progression. Additionally, the fantasy literature of authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Robert E. Howard shaped the themes and settings that would later be incorporated into RPGs.

Tabletop Board Games: Traditional board games during this period, such as Avalon Hill's Tactics (1954) and Chainmail (1971), integrated elements of warfare and strategic decision-making. While not explicitly RPGs, they contributed to the development of character roles and the tactical aspects found in RPGs, including tank-like characters.

Science Fiction and Fantasy Novels: Iconic works of science fiction and fantasy literature released during this time, like Isaac Asimov's Foundation series (1951 onwards) and Ursula K. Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea (1968), expanded the imaginative worlds and heroic archetypes that would later be embraced by RPGs.

While the exact term "tank" as it relates to RPGs may not have been used in this timeframe, the cultural influences and developments during this period laid the foundation for the RPG genre and the tank archetype that would emerge later. The combination of pulp fiction, war games, literature, and strategic board games all played a role in shaping the concepts and mechanics found in early RPGs, including the enduring archetype of the tank.
  • Options
    why-friends.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    HeljyHeljy Member
    daveywavey wrote: »
    why-friends.gif

Personally I find it interesting, thanks to him.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    very important thread
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to be a big deal. What with Tank being the only Tank primary, i would imagine that secondary Tank still won't be tank-role, which will ease the confusion... I wouldn't ever say I'm playing Assassin in Guild Wars unless that was my primary class. When someone says they play Tank, there likely won't be cases where they aren't playing Tank/x.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    akabear wrote: »
    Interesting summary >

Here's a timeline highlighting the evolution and popularization of the term "tank" in MMORPGs:

1974: Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) is released, introducing the concept of character roles, including the tank-like "fighter" class. Tank roles in tabletop RPGs begin to establish their prominence.

1996: Meridian 59, one of the earliest graphical MMORPGs, is released. While not using the term "tank," the game features character archetypes with high durability and defensive capabilities.

Late 1990s: MMORPGs like Ultima Online and EverQuest gain popularity and introduce the classic trinity roles: tank, healer, and damage dealer. Players start using the term "tank" to describe characters who protect the group by drawing enemy attention.

Early 2000s: World of Warcraft (WoW) is released in 2004 and significantly contributes to the widespread use of the term "tank." WoW's emphasis on class roles and group dynamics solidifies the importance of tanks in MMORPGs.

Mid-2000s: MMORPGs such as Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, and Lineage II continue to feature tank roles, further establishing the term's usage within the genre.

2010s: MMORPGs like Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Elder Scrolls Online, and Final Fantasy XIV maintain the tank role, keeping the term "tank" prominent in player discussions and group compositions.

Present: The term "tank" remains firmly rooted in MMORPG vocabulary, used universally by players to describe the role responsible for absorbing damage, drawing enemy aggro, and protecting the group.

Throughout this timeline, the term "tank" has evolved and adapted as MMORPGs have evolved. While the core concept of a durable character fulfilling a protective role remains constant, specific mechanics, abilities, and class names may vary across different games. Nonetheless, the term "tank" continues to be widely recognized and used by MMORPG players to refer to this important role in group-based gameplay.

And a deeper dive even earlier >

Between 1913 and 1974, several developments in gaming and storytelling influenced the evolution of RPGs and, by extension, the tank archetype. Here are some notable highlights during this period:

Pulp Fiction and Adventure Stories: In the early to mid-20th century, pulp fiction magazines gained popularity, featuring adventure stories filled with heroic characters and daring exploits. These tales often included brave warriors or defenders who fought against overwhelming odds, inspiring the concept of durable characters in future RPGs.

War Games and Miniature Battles: War gaming continued to evolve during this period, with games like Chainmail (1971) and Little Wars (1913) introducing rules for large-scale miniature battles. These games allowed players to control armies and deploy heavily armored troops, including tanks, which influenced the strategic and tactical aspects of future RPGs.

Early RPG Precursors: Before the official release of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, various gaming systems and influences set the stage for RPGs. For example, Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (1971), a precursor to D&D, featured elements of role-playing and character progression. Additionally, the fantasy literature of authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Robert E. Howard shaped the themes and settings that would later be incorporated into RPGs.

Tabletop Board Games: Traditional board games during this period, such as Avalon Hill's Tactics (1954) and Chainmail (1971), integrated elements of warfare and strategic decision-making. While not explicitly RPGs, they contributed to the development of character roles and the tactical aspects found in RPGs, including tank-like characters.

Science Fiction and Fantasy Novels: Iconic works of science fiction and fantasy literature released during this time, like Isaac Asimov's Foundation series (1951 onwards) and Ursula K. Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea (1968), expanded the imaginative worlds and heroic archetypes that would later be embraced by RPGs.

While the exact term "tank" as it relates to RPGs may not have been used in this timeframe, the cultural influences and developments during this period laid the foundation for the RPG genre and the tank archetype that would emerge later. The combination of pulp fiction, war games, literature, and strategic board games all played a role in shaping the concepts and mechanics found in early RPGs, including the enduring archetype of the tank.

All this wikipedia copy and paste doesn't mean nothing.

Tolkien fought on WWI. I've never seen Gandalf saying, "The TANKS first!!!".

It's not about the term used by players, is what would it be said in a high fantasy world.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    TANK trainer: "Hello brave TANK, here are you TANK skills so you can TANK better! Go forth and remember you have to be TANKING, your job as a TANK is to TANK!!"
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited June 2023
    I'm just here to celebrate the N-th resurrection of the tank-class-name thread.

Be sure to celebrate the thread's 3rd anniversary when it's August!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Marcet wrote: »
    TANK trainer: "Hello brave TANK, here are you TANK skills so you can TANK better! Go forth and remember you have to be TANKING, your job as a TANK is to TANK!!"

Unless a part of becoming a given class involves joining a specific organization, I wouldnt expect any NPC to refer to any player classes at all. Ever.

Class names are a device for players, not a roleplaying device.
  • Options
    SunScriptSunScript Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »

Unless a part of becoming a given class involves joining a specific organization, I wouldnt expect any NPC to refer to any player classes at all. Ever.

Related to this, I have realized that due to my perspective being heavily influenced by FFXI, I sort of expect most if not all classes to involve belonging to an organization. In that game, Dancers and various Mage classes belong to famous schools. Dragoons, Paladins, Warriors belong in the Royal Knights, Temple Knights or Iron Musketeers. Summoners are specifically referred to as Summoners because it's a 'forbidden' type of magic.

It's also not uncommon to hear NPCs say things like "walking the path of the Samurai/Ninja/Dark Knight" etc. and in that game it doesn't really break immersion when they do so, because every class comes with its lore, traditions, quests, storylines and so on. Basically, they make it clear each one of those is both a way of life and often times (part of) an organization.

But it goes further. Mobs also have names for classes, and it helps us identify what they are before we attack. But mobs themselves also belong to organizations, sometimes implied and sometimes specific. For example, when you fight the Divine Sentinels, you always know you are fighting a White Mage. And they are an elite squad of White Mages belonging to the Theocracy of the Yagudo during the Crystal War.

Anyway, not trying to drop FFXI lore here, moreso I am saying it's certainly possible to refer to classes by their names in the actual world without breaking immersion. As long as it isn't named "Tank", I mean godamn that is uninspired.

I want to leave you all with a question. When I find myself a humanoid mob whose class is Tank, is the mob name going to be "Kaelar Tank" or is it going to be something less jarring? If the answer is the latter, then why not apply the same standard to the player characters?
    Bow before the Emperor and your lives shall be spared. Refuse to bow and your lives shall be speared.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2023
    SunScript wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

Related to this, I have realized that due to my perspective being heavily influenced by FFXI, I sort of expect most if not all classes to involve belonging to an organization.
    That almost definaltely won't be the case in Ashes.

For a start, I can't see an organization that would have both Necromancers and Beastmasters be required to be in it, so it simply wouldn't work on a primary class axis. I don't see them doing it for each subclass either.

Also, Ashes has social organizations instead - scholars acadamry, theves guild etc. However, these won't be necessary for your class, and it would seem to me that you are able to join which ever organization you like.
    I want to leave you all with a question. When I find myself a humanoid mob whose class is Tank, is the mob name going to be "Kaelar Tank" or is it going to be something less jarring? If the answer is the latter, then why not apply the same standard to the player characters?
    In this situation, it is most likely that they will use a non-class term.

Look at any of the suggestions above for alternativenames for the tank class, any one of them could well be what is used instead.
  • Options

It's a tank'less job...

I'll see myself out.
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    There isn't a tank class, so don't worry about it. You combine them. If you ever even see a tank in game it's because they haven't leveled up enough to combine their class.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    carfznaumvuu.png

you guys finally won...
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Me pulling up to the snowy forests of Sujoma as a dunir tank
    pf8xnsfzjoea.png
  • Options
    w6qwwy8olwje.png
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    the actual tank

phl4lexzegtg.jpg
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    the actual tank

phl4lexzegtg.jpg

Wow, I bet that thing could take a hundred hits from a world boss!

Ooooh, I know! That'd be a cool archetype name! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    the actual tank

phl4lexzegtg.jpg

Wow, I bet that thing could take a hundred hits from a world boss!

Ooooh, I know! That'd be a cool archetype name! :D

... and the world boss would still not be able to get out :)
    The perfect way to farm a world boss.
  • Options
    ShoximityShoximity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I love this thread.

*Grabs popcorn*