Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gauging Community Combat Preference [Tab vs. Action, thoughts on Hybrid]

NalifiNalifi Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I was wondering, AoC seems to be appealing to both tab target fans and action combat fans. But I've personally not really met anyone who would choose tab targeting over action combat (and was even of the opinion that action combat is simply a modernized and improved version of the other), even as someone who split my time between WoW/FFXIV and BDO/Tera. For me personally, Tera's combat was the SOLE reason I played the game - literally nothing else, which makes me think that a game with good outside mechanics AND a good combat system is all you need to have the golden MMO.

What does the community here think?

~~Nalifi

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer action.
    We will have to play to know how hybrid feels.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer action/free aim systems over tab. I don't think there is anything wrong with hybrid as a concept, it comes down the how it's implemented.
  • another thing is, the clunkiness of WoW and Tera largely seems to be from the concept of having a GCD, which is really just clunky and causes the "floatiness" of combat and also is even worse for players with high ping than not (because of rubberbanding, inability to properly meet each GCD rotation, etc). So maybe tab targeted systems with fluid combat could be okay... but my personal opinion also favors action combat.
  • I personally have always preferred tab-targeting, as for the hybrid I’m interested, we’ll have to try it first though
  • Magic ManMagic Man Member
    edited August 2020
    As someone who prefers action, I must say, the second iteration of hybrid combat looks pretty good. Whether we'd have to press tab to select targets while on action stance was something I was wondering. Apparently it's like GW2 which I really appreciate. The melee seems to flow well for the hybrid combat tho I'm not sure about ranged. Although it is nice to go for accuracy, I believe ranged will require some precise aiming (speculated on the fact that how the crosshair looks atm + APOC gameplay) - This may not go well for the MMORPG genre and its player base in general who aren't used to such gameplay. It'd be nice to have it requiring a little bit of less precise aiming as that's something NW testers have been struggling with as well (weird strategies such as bunny jumping and running sideways to not get shot are utilized). I believe Intrepid will come up with a nice combat system that will satisfy both kinds (tab/action) of players.

TLDR: The hybrid combat footage was nice and made many people, including me, more confident that they'll make it work. However, Although I prefer action, I do believe that the hybrid combat will need to feel more fitting for an MMORPG and less of a third person shooter for ranged which is yet to be seen.
    signature.png
  • If I had to pick between BDO/Terra vs WoW/FF based solely on combat and not class building...

I'd pick Gw2. (But get rid of the downed state)

Tab targeting with avoidable skill shots and limited active blocks. Short duration cc that were either skill shots or had obvious tells.

I loved ESO's questing but really didn't enjoy it's sloppy haphazard combat system.
    Couldn't really get into ArcheAge was playing BDO at the time and stuck with that.

And it's worth pointing out that even BDO had a soft lock.
    And Terra's Archer had to get in close to do it's best damage.

That being said Gw2 relies on the doge roll too much.

So BDO would be a close second. I hated the gender locked class system and didn't like the fighting game approach to doing certain moves, despite growing up on Street Fighter.

Since it's an MMO I don't want 100% intense try hard combat 100% of the time. I've got action games and shooters for that.
  • Action, like Wildstar, but with greater depth and weight.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited August 2020
    Of all the MMO's I've played, GW2 and Wildstar I found the most fun combat-wise. I find them both the gold standard of hybrid MMO combat.

Both of them are just solid and you always feel like you are in control and have something to do. You have options and the ability to move while casting leads to intense and skill-based combat, contrasted to the stale combat of immobile, tank and spank games. Plus no global cooldowns is amazing. Global coodowns give an artificial feel.

For those unfamiliar, GW2 is hybrid, leaning towards Tab but functionally entirely action. Wildstar is hybrid leaning towards action and full of telegraphed abilities.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited August 2020
    I’m rather pleased with the current hybrid implementation we saw in the vid yesterday. Free camera was my biggest thing I needed to for combat to feel good. Being able to use tab abilities while free aiming is a pleasant surprise and I think I’ll get used to right-clicks to lock if I need to.
  • I’d prefer 100 percent tab target I have handicaps so it’s just easier on my body ... I’m not good at twitchy ... just hoping the 80/20 doesn’t gimp me so bad it’s unplayable or I get kicked from groups all the time becuase I’m not using the 20 percent action skills
  • Interesting opinions from both sides, thanks everyone!
  • I think I'm more of a 40-50% action & 50-60% tab target kinda guy. I do like having skillshots, but at the same time, I do like having consistent abilities as well. Think of Malphite, Mundo, Chogath and Illaoi in LoL.
  • I don't think there's a right answer to what's better, it depends on many factors such as skills, classes and game optimization. Some games have shitty action combat while others have great tab-target and vice-versa.

I believe the hybrid combat style Ashes is going for is the best option for nowadays because we have a lot of information from other games about what's good and what's bad combat design. My only worry is that you have to choose 80% of one and 20% of the other.

Regardless, as Steven said in the latest Development Update, if they have to remove hybrid combat they'll go for a high mobility tab target system, which is fine by me since that's my personal preference (as long as it's balanced).
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I am a pure tab target kind of player. I have no desire to memorize a bunch of key combinations to activate a skill, this is why I couldn't play BDO, I spent more time looking at the skill tree between fights to remember the combinations than playing the game. I have a hard enough time remembering WASD to move around. I use my mouse to click skills on my hot bar to activate skills, I set up my rotation from left to right on the hot bar and move down the line to the end and move back to the left to start over skipping those still on cool down. I also rarely move during combat, only when standing in nasty stuff, since I also use my mouse to turn that means downtime on my rotation. This may not be the most efficient play style for all but it works best for me. I'm always about KISS.
  • Tab target. I enjoy a slow, risky play style. GW2 had an interesting combat system, but too few abilities at your disposal besides the elementalist which I solely played. But yeah, its more fun to get your spells/abilities timed correctly than spam auto attacks and rotations mindlessly.
  • LfmrLfmr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I played ESO the most out of any MMO, and there is a sort of creativity that comes with limited abilities, that's why I like to see that AoC only has one bar. I really do hope that this 'hybrid' combat system is truly hybrid and not action combat with a forced 20% tab target abilities. What I mean by this is, I hope the tab target abilities are going to be viable in their own way.

I drew this example before, a tab target stun is always going to be better then skill shot stun, even if the skill shot lasts longer or travels farther, because the reliability of a guaranteed stun is just too good to pass up. It also synergizes well with action combat skills, since once a stun hits, aimed skill shots are all but guaranteed to hit following.
  • MicromegasMicromegas Member
    edited August 2020
    I would choose Action, but with very few dodgeable lock-on skills like in TERA.

For me Hybrid/Tab feels very weird since I am not traditional mmorpg player. I only have experience of 3-4 years of playing mmorpgs like Bdo, Dragon Nest and Tera. Since I grew up with action combat later I could not get into games that has tab target combat :/.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited August 2020
    jubilum wrote: »
    I am a pure tab target kind of player. I have no desire to memorize a bunch of key combinations to activate a skill, this is why I couldn't play BDO, I spent more time looking at the skill tree between fights to remember the combinations than playing the game. I have a hard enough time remembering WASD to move around. I use my mouse to click skills on my hot bar to activate skills, I set up my rotation from left to right on the hot bar and move down the line to the end and move back to the left to start over skipping those still on cool down. I also rarely move during combat, only when standing in nasty stuff, since I also use my mouse to turn that means downtime on my rotation. This may not be the most efficient play style for all but it works best for me. I'm always about KISS.

I mean no offense, as I support everyone having their own opinions and preferable systems and gameplay options, but in what way is this fun or engaging?
    Not having any desire to learn how to play a game is a completely alien concept to me. Why are you even playing if you aren't going to learn how to play?
    If you're not actually playing, and you're just pressing buttons in order, not even moving around, then you aren't really playing a game imo.
    It makes sense if you see combat as just a means to reaching other content like crafting or something, but otherwise this just sounds very stale.

Edit:
    Lfmr wrote: »
    I played ESO the most out of any MMO, and there is a sort of creativity that comes with limited abilities, that's why I like to see that AoC only has one bar. I really do hope that this 'hybrid' combat system is truly hybrid and not action combat with a forced 20% tab target abilities. What I mean by this is, I hope the tab target abilities are going to be viable in their own way.

This is interesting, because I constantly see people complaining that there is no variety in builds in ESO. Everyone always picks the same setup because there isn't enough variety or usefulness in other setups which stems from so few ability slots.
  • Definitely action.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Ever since i tried my first action combat MMO (Terra) I could no longer play pure tab target.
    I am avarge at best at it but i have yet to see a tab target combat that feels truly fluid and immersive.
    Gw2 was borderline ok for me but pure oldschool WoW tab target is something i can no longer play with.

I always thought that it was strange that the archer shot at me but the arrow curves to follow me even as i run or roll sideways.
    Skill shots in short make the combat experience so much more immersive.
    Having to choose ability's as combat progresses rather then doing the same rotation over and over again.

After checking out the last Dev video regarding hybrid combat, i have to say it looks ok.
    Not super great as action combat fanatic but not bad either.
    Maybe i will see Tab target combat that actually feels like combat rather then just standing still and doing the 1 - 9 rotation on my keyboard.
    Steven did say they want to make it fluid and that combat is one if not the most important key stone to an MMO.
    That there is no auto attack is already great.
    At least your left click spam will be locked to action combat.

The right click to target someone in action combat mode is also a really good idea.

So far it looks promising, just have to wait for Alpha 1 and 2 to confirm this
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Xenotor wrote: »

Not sure what you mean here, because you can do the exact same thing by spamming the auto-attack ability in tab-target camera.
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    edited August 2020
    Hello, I prefer tab combat, I prefer to click and not move at all, 0 skill involved and all stat checking.

Action combat is good but I don't like it in MMO's. I don't want people soloing bosses at lvl 1 cuz of skill based combat, it should be all stat based.

That's my opinion.

Edit: Hitting AOE with every autoatack seems terrible.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited August 2020
    Marcet wrote: »
    Hello, I prefer tab combat, I prefer to click and not move at all, 0 skill involved and all stat checking.

Action combat is good but I don't like it in MMO's. I don't want people soloing bosses at lvl 1 cuz of skill based combat, it should be all stat based.

That's my opinion.

You're also advocating for 0 skill like @jubilum ?

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt since there's more than one person with this opinion, but I can't think of any boon to having stagnant "guitar-hero"-style combat. Standing still and pressing the same buttons in the same order for every fight, from fighting level 1 mobs to end-level raid bosses, and hoping your dice roll is higher this time sounds extremely boring, stale, and un-engaging.

I guess if you just like dice rolls and have a gambler's persona it makes sense, but outside of that I find it hard to empathize with your mindsets.

You're seriously advocating for a pvp where both players just stand still and cast all their spells in order and whoever crits more wins? That's just unappealing as both a spectator and a participant.

If you can convince me of the benefits of it I'm absolutely willing to listen and consider it, and maybe even convince our friends on this forum too.
  • Dreoh wrote: »
    Xenotor wrote: »

Not sure what you mean here, because you can do the exact same thing by spamming the auto-attack ability in tab-target camera.

do you?
    From what i understood, there is not auto attack. (As in you click it once and your character keeps attacking.)
    Just your left click spam.
    The spam ability for melee chars is an arc attack in front of them depending on the weapon. (Bigger weapon = Bigger arc, smaller weapon = Smaller ark)
    Now we don't know how the Left click spam attack is for ranged chars like the archer but i expect a simple arrow straight ahead.
    So no auto following attacks like your usual tab target abilitys. Hopefully.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif

That's my opinion.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt since there's more than one person with this opinion, but I can't think of any boon to having stagnant "guitar-hero"-style combat. Standing still and pressing the same buttons in the same order for every fight, from fighting level 1 mobs to end-level raid bosses, and hoping your dice roll is higher this time sounds extremely boring, stale, and un-engaging.

I guess if you just like dice rolls and have a gambler's persona it makes sense, but outside of that I find it hard to empathize with your mindsets.

You're seriously advocating for a pvp where both players just stand still and cast all their spells in order and whoever crits more wins? That's just unappealing as both a spectator and a participant.

If you can convince me of the benefits of it I'm absolutely willing to listen and consider it, and maybe even convince our friends on this forum too.

Hi, yes. I like it like this, I play lots of hard-combat and difficult games, but for MMo's I want basic combat, click and not move, maybe in pvp could be bad but yeah, thats what I want. I'ts not rolling a dice, it means you win or lose depending on your strength as a character defined by your stats and gear. Not skill.

What you said: "Standing still and pressing the same buttons in the same order for every fight, from fighting level 1 mobs to end-level raid bosses" thats exactly what I want.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited August 2020
    @Xenotor Correct, there is no "Auto-attack", I just use that term because it's what most players think of when they think of basic attack, it would have been better for me to have said "basic attack"

I'm still not sure what you were saying in the comment I quoted. Your basic attack is the same in both modes. There's footage of Steven using a bow and it works just like WoW hunters or any other tab-target bow basic attack. Now, if you can free-fire it in action mode is unclear.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited August 2020
    Dreoh wrote: »

That's my opinion.

Hi, yes. I like it like this, I play lots of hard-combat and difficult games, but for MMo's I want basic combat, click and not move, maybe in pvp could be bad but yeah, thats what I want. I'ts not rolling a dice, it means you win or lose depending on your strength as a character defined by your stats and gear. Not skill.

What you said: "Standing still and pressing the same buttons in the same order for every fight, from fighting level 1 mobs to end-level raid bosses" thats exactly what I want.

That's not even a video game at that point though. That's literally a simple stat check. At that point what's stopping you from playing a game where you walk up to an enemy, and just click "Attempt to Kill" and with that one press you either die or win depending on if your stats are higher or not.

That's not a game, that's just comparing genitalia sizes.
    Dreoh wrote: »

That's my opinion.

That's not even a video game at that point though. That's literally a simple stat check. At that point what's stopping you from playing a game where you walk up to an enemy, and just click "Attempt to Kill" and with that one press you either die or win depending on if your stats are higher or not.

That's not a game, that's just comparing genitalia sizes.

Brother don't exagerate and try to laugh at other people opinions. I don't think anyone likes that. I stated my opinion and explained because you asked, and yes, a game can be stat-based and not a roll dice.
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No real preference here...I like the hybrid system.
  • NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    I wrote a whole thread on this exact subject @Nalifi

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/45969/combat-and-mechanics-active-vs-passive-combat/p1

I go into detail on a couple specific mechanics but I 100% favor more action combat like @Lfmr mentioned about ESO's.

I could not stand WoW's combat of click and let keybinds do all your work.

So when ESO came out with actual skillful gameplay and a limited bar choice selection so you actually had to make choices in your builds with actual combat movement as a real factor?

Oh man a no brainer, it was like a breath of fresh air from the moldy dark room of WoWs combat, to ESO's vastly more interesting pace and combat choices.

Now for people who are old or disabled I understand why having tab target would be preferable