Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gauging Community Combat Preference [Tab vs. Action, thoughts on Hybrid]

Comments

• Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    The one downside to action combat is if you are on high ping you suffer for it. A number of people seem to predict that combat in AOC will be somewhat like ESO and having played ESO for 6+ years I enjoy the combat but the ping from Australia makes you want to punch walls sometimes when you compare someone playing on 50ms to the 300+ my guild mates and I usually suffer through.

I really do hope the OCE servers are at least somewhat close.

But then again we shouldn't be coming up against players from other parts of the world in AOC.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    Varkun wrote: »
    The one downside to action combat is if you are on high ping you suffer for it. A number of people seem to predict that combat in AOC will be somewhat like ESO and having played ESO for 6+ years I enjoy the combat but the ping from Australia makes you want to punch walls sometimes when you compare someone playing on 50ms to the 300+ my guild mates and I usually suffer through.

I really do hope the OCE servers are at least somewhat close.

But then again we shouldn't be coming up against players from other parts of the world in AOC.

That has a lot less to do with action combat (if any at all) and just that ESO's servers are a decade old that were bought from blizzard.

Their game engine is actually a 2008 custom engine and that coding for the servers hasnt aged well with their server structure.

Action combat when the game launched actually worked better in 2016 for eso when the population caps were higher and there were 600 population caps for cyrodill. Now the cap is 300 and is infinitely worse.

The degredation was also exacerbated by Zenimax moving a large portion of client side calculations to their main servers in an attempt to combat cheat engine for PC users. Unfortunately they moved all the console players too and this compounded the issues with server stress to the maximum in 2017 going forward for both server sides.

ESO's performance issues have nothing to do with having an action based combat system. Its their managment of server and client information calculation and aging code work with a server and engine structure that was never designed to work the way Zenimax has made the servers do currently with overloading the servers with too much information and calculation beyond its design.

Their choices are between shelling out for new servers that can fit their custom design engine and workload, or go back to clients taking the load off of the server and risk cheats being more abundant.

• Options
    FizzwingleFizzwingle Member, Alpha One
    Let me start by saying i respect your passion and one eyed bias to Action combat. Its what YOU like and what YOU want. Its always cool to see fire in a gamer :) Also let me be quite clear that I want Action combat in this game and for it to be freakin awesome.

Now for a little PWNage

Given that the Core market sector for MMORPG is PC based 30+ year olds, then you are really saying that Tab Target is the smart move for any company making an MMO >.<[/quote]

No.

Dont even know why or how you made up a statement that not only is directly opposite of what I was saying, but also objectively false. I would say the exact opposite actually

Less than 30% of all MMORPG players are under 25. 50% or so are over 30. This is actual market research not something i just pulled from the air to base my point around, Its FACT. Go look it up for yourself if you need to, its pretty easy to find. Just because you say the opposite does not mean you are correct.

MMORPG are fundamentally a result of the PC and internet connectivity. They are, quite literally a spawn of internet and its networking capacity. They have more in common with Table top games than with arcade ones.

Action based combat games certainly share a spiritual connection to arcade and console games, but MMORPGS have more in common with Dungeons and Dragons than they do with streetfighter, Mortal Kombat or Tekken. For the most part action games are MMOs and forget the RPG part simply because Action combat for all its crazy fun feel is by nature relatively narrow and misses the mark on the RPG part of MMORPG. The reason that nothing has truly killed WoW yet is because they lack the LORE that immerses people and keeps them returning even though the combat systems are not as exciting.

You find Action combat more engaging, and it certainly is more visceral and intense than the current iterations of tab target systems, and like many people you see only what exists now, not what could be with a little bit of creativity.

Creative coding that redefines what hardware is capable of and changes what we believe can be done is what drives gaming technology forward more than the hardware driving the software. Programmers have been burning out graphics cards and motherboards since the 80s. For example, they did not add buttons and sticks to controllers BEFORE programmers said to them, we need a controller that can do these extra things we programmed.

For people that cut their gaming teeth on RPGs, Action combat always feels like it limits the way a character can interact with the whole game, reduces meaningful character choices and is less about the role playing than it needs to be to provide a satisfying GAME experience.

Action combat severely limits the potential for group and raid content to be what it can and limits the potential strategic and tactical options for much of the group content that Ashes proposes. It simply cant offer the same breadth of options that a Tab Target system can because it can not maintain the same number of accessible skill options.

On the other hand, taking a creative approach to what people currently see as tab target and adding a layer of procs that a player has agency over which conform to action combat mechanics could quite conceivably provide an active experience the equal of any in gaming at the moment. If they did this very well, it could be even better than other games current iterations of action combat with incredible diversity and customisation that rivals anything in the market.

Essentially what i am saying is that there is no reason that a fully fleshed action system cant exist within a Tab-Target core system and that it should be handled as an extension of rather than separate to Tab Target. Focusing the other way with discrete separate systems will limit the potential for the rest of the game systems, particularly PvE, caravan and large scale siege/node war engagements.

I absolutely want the best possible experience for PvP combat, and that really benefits from a fast paced, narrow active set of abilities built around a personal play style, and, i dont believe a separate discreet system will end up giving that to the Action Junkie. I believe re-imagining the proc system can give the action player everything they want and more.

IF Action combat can be built around a proc economy there is NO NEED FOR TRANSITION so the whole system would feel integrated and very natural. It would also reduce the the potential for Tab-Target players to simple be able to nuke Action builds before they even get into real combat and, i think makes ranged action combat much easier to balance effectively. The ranged issue is a real game breaker for the current model with tab target abilities being far easier to use than action ones. In a hybrid system this will be near impossible to balance without becoming either severely OP or Underpowered.

If the Hybrid system can not be made to balance properly, the Devs have said Tab Target is the fallback system. I dont belive that the current dev direction will end up supporting a quality action system which would be a great shame. I do, however believe that insanely cool and fun Action combat can be tied into the game seamlessly with a slight shift in mindset to see action combat as part of instead of separate to Tab-Target.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Fizzwingle

Before I go into my counter argument, would you mind linking me your reference where 30% are under 25?

Also what poll determined that of those age 30 and up actually prefer tab over action since the Vast majority of games and new mmos coming out for the past decade have all been moving towards action?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Fizzwingle

Before I go into my counter argument, would you mind linking me your reference where 30% are under 25?

Also what poll determined that of those age 30 and up actually prefer tab over action since the Vast majority of games and new mmos coming out for the past decade have all been moving towards action?

Just search MMORPG users by age 2020. The stats are easy to find.

Have a good look at the people that create content/Stream MMORPGs (not MMO) just at a glance you can see how heavily that 30+ demographic is represented.

Also be very aware that ashes is an MMORPG not simply an MMO. There is a subtle but huge difference in that definition. an MMO does not need to factor in the RPG elements (particularly larger scale co-operative group content, classes with deep and wide skill sets, complex economy and crafting) that are key to the feel of and immersion in an RPG world.

As far as combat preference goes, WoW is still the most played MMORPG in the genre with 3 times the monthly player base of the nearest rival so to suggest that Action combat is the better or preferred system for an MMORPG is something of a leap.

Remember too, i am not suggesting that Action combat not be part of the core game play, simply that a discrete hybrid system wont balance well enough to be usable in the final game build and leave the devs falling back on a straight tab target model. I would much rather see something new that does it better than either has before. A system that incorporates action mechanics through build and a proc economy is something that has real potential to be incredibly engaging, fluid and diverse.
  • Options
    Fizzwingle wrote: »
    @Fizzwingle

That's an incredibly bad faith thing to say. He asks you to provide a source and you respond with "just google it"

It's the kind of shit you see from facebook political moms
  • Options
    Let’s all be real here. There is literally nothing tab-target brings that action combat doesn’t bring. Some people don’t want the skill-focused, fast paced action combat, and that’s fine to want something slower and simpler, but we don’t need to start lying about how tab somehow requires as much as skill as action combat does. It just doesn’t.
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Let’s all be real here. There is literally nothing tab-target brings that action combat doesn’t bring. Some people don’t want the skill-focused, fast paced action combat, and that’s fine to want something slower and simpler, but we don’t need to start lying about how tab somehow requires as much as skill as action combat does. It just doesn’t.

I wouldn't say tab target brings nothing to the table. Being able to see an entire arena while you're casting abilities changes the dynamic of combat, whereas when you're stuck with action camera you see from a horizontal perspective most of the time.

Tab target also makes more sense for some abilities, like channeled spells akin to soul drain or something where it keeps casting even while the target is moving around. True you can do this in action cam, but any Overwatch Symmetra player will tell you that the new Primary Fire beam doesn't feel nearly as immersive and solid as the original Lock-on primary fire
  • Options
    @Nalifi personally I've found the action combat system to be very clunky in mmorpgs. I'm hoping its improved since TERA was first released but I remember beta testing it and it was horrible to play. Daggers felt impossible to hit with because the range was so short, and weapons like greatswords were dodged easily. About the only weapon worth using was the polearms because while being slow their range allowed you a decent chance of still hitting someone.
  • Options
    Dreoh wrote: »
    Fizzwingle wrote: »
    @Fizzwingle

That's an incredibly bad faith thing to say. He asks you to provide a source and you respond with "just google it"

It's the kind of shit you see from facebook political moms

I had closed my browser tabs and was too lazy to be bothered going back and finding it again at 3:30am my time so figured that Nelson could go chase it up if they were really that interested in it.

The vast bulk of the top 10 played MMORPGs in the current market are those released PRE 2014. Outside of Black desert no MMORPG released after that has garnered a substantial long term player base. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the focus on MMO style action combat in the bulk of those post 2014 releases seems likely to be part of that inability to engage large player bases for long periods of time.

I scrolled through a number of different surveys and studies this morning and found this one which least supports my point on Age demographic. There are others that do, but i will happily say i was wrong for male gamers. its closer to 50% over 25 than 50% over 30. The studies that just look at the 10 and 20 most played MMORPGs support my original statement. The one quoted here is far broader in its data sourcing.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130552 /unmasking_the_avatar_the_.php?print=1#:~:text=Demographics of MMORPG Players,-About 15% of&amp;text=This ranged from 8% to,of MMORPG players are teenagers.

All this is still mostly a distraction from the point here which is that an Action Combat system can be accommodated within a tab target system. It does not require a separate discrete structure for it to exist in a profound, deep and immersive way. It just takes looking at it in a different way without a bias to one or the other.Trying to have the two systems exist side by side in the same game will break around the balancing of ranged effects.

The capacity to focus more on action or tab functionality can be driven by skill allocation and agency over a proc economy instead of having a locked set of skills that are one or the other. To succeed in the ambition of having both kinds of functionality in a balanced way, making one system that does both seems the only option that will work to satisfy both styles of play without one or the other becoming a distinct Meta.

Oh, also, no need to be insulting, im here for a conversation not a confrontation. Your input and suggestions would be more constructive. Do you think an action system can not be incorporated into a Tab Target system? Why not?
  • Options
    Caeryl wrote: »

Tab Target brings the capacity for far more structured, immersive team based combat and allows for levels of mechanical complexity in boss and large group vs group fights that Action Combat systems have been unable to match thus far. The capacity to access far more skills in a way that is accessible to more players supports group and raid content far more effectively and accessibly than action combat does or can.

Its less about the skill level required to PvP than it is about the capacity to support deep and immersive PvE content and the social connections which have underpinned the longevity of the most successful MMORPGs. Action combat systems are either to simplistic and spammy or too complex and skill heavy to engage a large enough player base for a long time.

One of the other factors that is very important in an Action combat system game is the capacity to alter builds relatively easily to make them work better for specific combat scenarios. This is not something that the proposed systems in Ashes will allow for.
  • Options
    LowQuey wrote: »
    @Nalifi personally I've found the action combat system to be very clunky in mmorpgs. I'm hoping its improved since TERA was first released but I remember beta testing it and it was horrible to play. Daggers felt impossible to hit with because the range was so short, and weapons like greatswords were dodged easily. About the only weapon worth using was the polearms because while being slow their range allowed you a decent chance of still hitting someone.

Could be you didn't get too far - Even if 'unbalanced', 'spammy' and 'rotation locked' could be criticisms of TERA's combat system, I don't think that a lack of fluidity is one of them - when you learn the animation cancels, combos, and get all your abilities, its definitely the most fluid in the genre
  • Options
    After reading through both sides, it seems like the main preference for tab targeting comes from the fact that some people would prefer to have less intense combat and rather focus on raid mechanics, immersion and strategy. To be honest, I think the main chunkiness from tab targeting to me at least comes from the unanimity of mechanics such as GCDs and lengthy animation locks in the pre-eminent tab targeting games right now, referring to WoW and FFXIV - it literally just feels like you're pressing 1-9 on the keyboard while waiting for the circle to finish moving around the skill icon. And it ends up being more spammy, because GCD forces you to spam the button to get the best timing (it doesn't reward precise inputs). Having the fluidity of action combat systems with a tab target system (so animation cancels, no huge cooldown/animation locks) would be quite nice, and I've heard that's what existing successful hybrid systems do.

That being said, there's a pretty big focus on PvP that's been demonstrated so far in Ashes of Creation. While its true that few true action combat games have been competent at end game raids (I would say Tera was quite good, but BDO obviously is lacking and I can't speak for ESO), I think there is an even larger failure of tab-target games to have good PvP - and in a game where so much of the focus seems to be from these nodes, sieges, large-scale battles, @Fizzwingle 's point of having this less intense combat system would be a bit of a detriment on the PvP side (I can see its benefit in the PvE side for sure though, even if its not for me). Existing tab targeting games are literally just a stat/buildcheck during PvP, you lock onto the enemy, press your normal 1-9 rotation and see who dies first. I think to facilitate PvP, which is the ultimate end game in ashes of creation, they'll need to design a combat system for it, that also works for PvE.

Also most ranged abilities in action combat systems are softlocked, so its not like you're aiming such as in an FPS... it 'feels' action but is often closer to tab in reality (at least for ranged abilities)
  • Options
    Action combat with a high skill-ceiling.

In so far as a high skill-ceiling can be preserved with some tab-targeting (e.g LoL, Dota 2), it's endurable.
    Paradise.png
  • Options
    Nalifi wrote: »
    Also most ranged abilities in action combat systems are softlocked, so its not like you're aiming such as in an FPS... it 'feels' action but is often closer to tab in reality (at least for ranged abilities)

Well this has yet to be shown. Apoc was their action combat testing ground and most of the abilities were reticle-based projectile/hitscan.

Someone on the discord told me when I asked, that Steven once told them to stop testing wands because their projectiles wouldn't despawn and they were aggroing mobs from miles away, so I assume from that they will exist.
  • Options
    KnytemaireKnytemaire Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    Being in that 30+ crowd of MMORPG gamers that has played since early EQ1 and all, I prefer tab targeting. I live in an area that doesn't have super speed internet with super low ping no matter where the servers are. I have played GW2, ESO, WoW, FFXIV, BDO, etc etc etc. I even tried out New World and it is ok... if you are a melee person. I am a healer... I don't like having to aim at everything and a FPS/action style camera makes me physically ill due to the motion.

I am hoping the hybrid combat turns out great for everyone. I think we just need to stop these kind of polls and let Steven and team make the darn game. Then we can see how things feel and offer constructive criticism at that point. Just keep in mind that this isn't a MOBA, a BR, or an FPS game. It is a MMORPG. Not everything has to be a twitchy caffeine-driven murder fest :smile:
    Lyriss-Sig-Test.png
    Lyriss L'Enescor - Empyrean Cleric of Gray Sentinels
  • Options
    Knytemaire wrote: »
    Being in that 30+ crowd of MMORPG gamers that has played since early EQ1 and all, I prefer tab targeting. I live in an area that doesn't have super speed internet with super low ping no matter where the servers are. I have played GW2, ESO, WoW, FFXIV, BDO, etc etc etc. I even tried out New World and it is ok... if you are a melee person. I am a healer... I don't like having to aim at everything and a FPS/action style camera makes me physically ill due to the motion.

I am hoping the hybrid combat turns out great for everyone. I think we just need to stop these kind of polls and let Steven and team make the darn game. Then we can see how things feel and offer constructive criticism at that point. Just keep in mind that this isn't a MOBA, a BR, or an FPS game. It is a MMORPG. Not everything has to be a twitchy caffeine-driven murder fest :smile:

I agree on everything. Hope this hybrid system provides for both crowds while still keeping combat consistency, regardless of preferences.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options
    I prefer action combat, but I don't mind tab-target if it feels good. From what Intrepid has shown though, there's literally nothing to get excited about. It is moving along quite quickly though so we'll see.
  • Options
    I can't understand how people can talk about hybrid or target system, please, make AoC a full action MMO.
  • Options
    neobpm wrote: »
    I can't understand how people can talk about hybrid or target system, please, make AoC a full action MMO.

Well reading through this thread could help you understand.
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited September 2020
    Rhaelah wrote: »
    Tab target. I enjoy a slow, risky play style. GW2 had an interesting combat system, but too few abilities at your disposal besides the elementalist which I solely played. But yeah, its more fun to get your spells/abilities timed correctly than spam auto attacks and rotations mindlessly.
    Tab target. I enjoy a slow, risky play style.
    slow, risky

Dude

About the topic, I prefer action.
    Cdr management with physical and tactical abilities.
    Tab targeting for variety.
    Aoe for afk aoe farming after work in a slow paced downtime.
  • Options
    Action all in.

Seems they have spent so much development and progress on hybrid so I am afraid they have already committed to this and thus, game already lost me on this "design decision." (Do both so they did not need to choose which)

Also, after watching the YT video where Steven explains the hybrid combat system and demonstrate, he did not sound really so sure about it and he had to say, we could have gone more for tab targeting, if.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Hence why the market is now catching up with current and modern gamers. Action combat is objectively more engaging, and the games are advancing to reflect this across the board.

This!! We all want games to be as immersive as possible - this is the huge advantage that action has over tab.

BUT

I do agree that there are times when you need to focus on other aspects of gameplay that tab targetting frees your brain to do. (Also, when you're a healer, action targetting is THE WORST)

HOWEVER
    To be honest, I think the main chunkiness from tab targeting to me at least comes from the unanimity of mechanics such as GCDs and lengthy animation locks in the pre-eminent tab targeting games right now, referring to WoW and FFXIV - it literally just feels like you're pressing 1-9 on the keyboard while waiting for the circle to finish moving around the skill icon.

^This is also my experience of tab targetting in MMORPGs and why I don't like them.

reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles - I had a giant laserblade sword that I never got to swing around myself. So dissatisfying.
    I just wanted to end each combat encounter as quickly as possible coz it was tiresome:
    skill to stun -> skill that knocks down a stunned opponent -> skill to deal bonus dmg to a knocked down opponent
    rinse repeat with other random skills coz of cooldowns.

So yeah, unless I'm healing (I probably will be going healer LOL), I'll think I'll end up using the action targetting more. I'm glad they're giving us a flexible system :)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Knytemaire wrote: »

Definitely see your point here, that being said I've felt that tab targeting games are actually worse for high ping because A) the entire PvE combat (well, as a dps at least, can't speak for healers) comes down to meeting tight cooldowns for a rotation, and if you miss this due to ping or rubberbanding it gets thrown off to a much larger degree than an action combat system - I never saw such a high demand for VPN until I started playing FFXIV.

I guess the hybrid system would be good for this healing issue - although tera at least had a soft-lock action-based healing, which felt pretty smooth imo
  • Options
    TwangTwang Member
    edited September 2020
    How is BDO’s action system completely different from tab target lock. BDO has ‘action’ combat that you can’t miss even if you aren’t exactly aiming at someone due to target lock. The only change I could see BDO’s action system to make tab is the ability for hitting someone based on proximity and not facing them directly. That game also features the same evasion, accuracy, DR n more that people seem to be writing off if you played action because it’d be replaced by an active dodge and aim punishment? Won’t cast time and animation remove the space for advantage since you can't jump around in a fight like WoW, a lotta people seem to be labeling action combat as dark souls style with AoE but ESO n BDO aren’t that. I didn’t play apoc so I don’t know how invested they are in requiring specific aim like CSGO. Could Hyperspaces aim Zone be amiddle ground.
  • Options
    People preferring action seem to be forgetting this is an MMO where people put in hundreds of days in /played. I don't want to play God of War or Street Fighter for that long, sorry. All the arguments about action being more skillful or more fun are true, but that gets draining, people don't want that for their mindless farming and grinding.
  • Options
    burl3yb0y wrote: »
    People preferring action seem to be forgetting this is an MMO where people put in hundreds of days in /played. I don't want to play God of War or Street Fighter for that long, sorry. All the arguments about action being more skillful or more fun are true, but that gets draining, people don't want that for their mindless farming and grinding.

This is a prime example of why the game should be action combat, it forces lazy players to actually try at the game. No longer can you mindlessly grind, gaining power without actually putting some effort in and I'm all for it. A glaring flaw with modern MMO's.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited September 2020
    Tab-target is 100% better for single-target healing, with some exceptions

How about let's argue for compelling combat, AND grinding/farming that ISN'T mindless instead of arguing that combat SHOULDN'T be compelling because it makes the mindless grinding tedious/exhausting.
  • Options
    Dreoh wrote: »
    Tab-target is 100% better for single-target healing, with some exceptions

How about let's argue for compelling combat, AND grinding/farming that ISN'T mindless instead of arguing that combat SHOULDN'T be compelling because it makes the mindless grinding tedious/exhausting.

I think it makes healing easier for sure.

But with aoe heal effects (done without needing to aim) it probably wouldnt be very hard.

Like creating a heal that heals anyone in your group within x amount of range, or within a pre-set aoe area in a cone like effect outward from you that creates a "sticky" heal over time.

I'm not arguing that tab shouldnt be an option btw, just listing some ways it would be just as good without it
  • Options
    DemidreamerDemidreamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am 38 years old at the end of this month. At times, at work my hands feel like i might be carpal tunnel, even sitting at the good ole computer, sometimes my hands go cold for no reason. Action combat to me is a big "?". Sure i would enjoy the challenge of figuring out the game but i am worried the mouse will be all too intensive for every aspect of combat. With Tab combat i can still play move and attack all from my left hand if my right goes cold and vice versa for being a dreaded clicker. I would not be able to say the same for Action if i need to keep clicking the left mouse button for basic attacks.

Idk, just a concern i have with getting older. Things don't work like they use too even at 38..