Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mega Guilds

I have been watching the dev videos and I was wondering what precautions are going to be implemented to avoid mega guilds taking and controlling the entire PvP aspect of the game. This was a large issue early on in ESO and why a 3 faction system did not take off. The Mega Guild goes in and the other guilds do not have the mere numbers to overtake it. The Mega Guild controls the map and then there is no way to over take them due to sheer numbers. Both sides then get bored and the game's PvP dies because there is nothing to do to overtake the guild and the mega guild gets bored because they have no competition.

Comments

• Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    That's the nature of an open world game. If a mega guild is controlling the server there should still be 1000s of players who aren't in the guild. Alliances will begin to form and war declarations will be sent when the players of the server get tired of 1 alliance being in control and the server will police itself in that regard.

Mega alliances always get bored of dominating if they don't start being challenged and fall apart after some time. Usually breaking apart into several smaller guilds composed of the various cliques that tend to form in a zerg guild and going to war with one another.
  • Options
    At max, a guild has 200 people. the might control one metropolis, but not everything
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What @Bricktop describes makes so much sense.

Let the oligarchy live while it lasts - eventually it will implode and create space for new rule (hopefully that means a bunch of nodes shift, and then the server rolls into something new!)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    At max, a guild has 200 people. the might control one metropolis, but not everything

According to The wiki the max guild size will be 300 people, with a total of 4 possible guilds per alliance.

Internal strife is bound to pop up in a video game relationship between 1200 people.
  • Options
    Bricktop wrote: »

According to The wiki the max guild size will be 300 people, with a total of 4 possible guilds per alliance.

Internal strife is bound to pop up in a video game relationship between 1200 people.

sorry, I got confused
  • Options
    AtiqaAtiqa Member
    edited September 2020
    You mean a guild controlling the whole world or something? Not really sure I follow how that would work.

It's not going to be just guilds fighting each other, because of the node system. You will be fighting for your node.

A mega guild would be fighting against itself if it spread out all over, so I don't see why they would do that (and that would negate your problem anyways).

Edit: But, mostly I think you're using an example from ESO that doesn't apply in AoC. Never played ESO, but it sounds like very different. One mega guild controlling the "map", doesn't sound like anything I can relate to AoC. A guild could be "kings" of a node, but they can't control other nodes, and everyone of a node can come together and attack/defend, not just guilds.
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    maouw wrote: »
    What @Bricktop describes makes so much sense.

Let the oligarchy live while it lasts - eventually it will implode and create space for new rule (hopefully that means a bunch of nodes shift, and then the server rolls into something new!)

@maouw

I think thats exactly how ashes will play it so long as they maintain the open world nature of the game. I hate to use this so much but it really will be like a "shifting of the sands". Rivalries will be born through conflict and betrayal. Massive guilds will sweep through the server and then fall apart under the pressure of constant warfare with smaller guilds popping out of the ashes. Huge alliances will rise and dominate just to fall apart overnight through internal fighting. Nodes will be built up and maintained for months possibly years only to be brought to ruin, and have the entire area start anew. Trading guilds will align themselves with war-focused guilds to form a partnership.

This is how your server will have a story. When it's all said and done, player interactions and how they shape the world will be the most interesting content in Ashes. This is what you will remember 15 years after you stop playing the game. The story that was forged through conflict and diplomacy all through other players.
  • Options
    XyphienXyphien Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So, the amount of people are in fact 300 per guild. But in theory you can have 5 guilds in an alliance. So, technically a guild can have 5 other guilds they've developed with 300 people in them, and create a 1500 alliance/guild. So the guild only having 300 isn't really a fix for anything on the scheme of things.
  • Options
    Xyphien wrote: »
    So, the amount of people are in fact 300 per guild. But in theory you can have 5 guilds in an alliance. So, technically a guild can have 5 other guilds they've developed with 300 people in them, and create a 1500 alliance/guild. So the guild only having 300 isn't really a fix for anything on the scheme of things.

@Xyphien Hey, just wanna make a small correction. If you look here it says there will be 4 guilds max per alliance.
  • Options
    One thing not mentioned is, guild numbers are not necessarily the best option. When you choose the population guild path, you will also be missing out on perk paths that smaller guilds will have access to. We don't know what those are yet but maybe having a smaller, 100 person guild can be better.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atiqa wrote: »
    You mean a guild controlling the whole world or something? Not really sure I follow how that would work.

It's not going to be just guilds fighting each other, because of the node system. You will be fighting for your node.

A mega guild would be fighting against itself if it spread out all over, so I don't see why they would do that (and that would negate your problem anyways).

Edit: But, mostly I think you're using an example from ESO that doesn't apply in AoC. Never played ESO, but it sounds like very different. One mega guild controlling the "map", doesn't sound like anything I can relate to AoC. A guild could be "kings" of a node, but they can't control other nodes, and everyone of a node can come together and attack/defend, not just guilds.

The problem here Mega Guilds in relation to an open world game blow anything in eso out of the water. When they aren't restricted to a certain zone, and can attack players anywhere, having a pre formed group of hundreds come over, leaves a bad taste in most people mouths, and since they organize outside of the game in existing communities, systems like alliances mean little to them (They just make allied alliances essentially) It's entirely possible one of these communities could become the dominant force on a server, to such a degree that no combined force could beat them.

But I don't think this will be how it plays out often. I see enough mechanics to lower the efficiency of groups like this taking hold, and without full loot drop mechanics there isn't a way to remove an enemy completely from the fight, so people you beat yesterday could be back today at full strength or even stronger. Plus when it does occur, as others have already noted, eventually they have no more valid fights, get bored and their alliance falls apart, or their server dies unfortunately.
  • Options
    Well, a creative approach to countering a Mega-guild hold on a set of nodes would be to establish a loosely organized cold insurgency to break the guild alliance apart from the inside out using disinformation, exploiting internal personal conflict, etc.

That is unless the alliance can prove profitable for more opportunistic players.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I will end up getting my guild to whatever population cap it will be. A ton of time will go into weeding people out who don't fit the community mold I am building. For alliances, Council will only ever use an alliance defensively and never for offense. I don't plan on taking 1200 people to a fight but 1200 to defend our 1's and 0's....yeah sure why not lol.
  • Options
    KreedKreed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Interesting, so a guild that has over 1000 players can make alt guilds and be their own alliance..
  • Options
    Also from what i understand players in nodes of influence will get a call to sedge. it's really gonna depend in a way on diversity. Who can build what what's available...etc
  • Options
    If you have a guild of high end players that didn't build then the siege engines will fell it
  • Options
    Kreed wrote: »
    Interesting, so a guild that has over 1000 players can make alt guilds and be their own alliance..

Well if they all had one alt, they would have to make a separate alliance at that point. So their alts wouldn't be on the same 'team' technically.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    KHRONUS wrote: »
    I will end up getting my guild to whatever population cap it will be. A ton of time will go into weeding people out who don't fit the community mold I am building. For alliances, Council will only ever use an alliance defensively and never for offense. I don't plan on taking 1200 people to a fight but 1200 to defend our 1's and 0's....yeah sure why not lol.

I personally don't see many successful guilds being over 100 players, in all honesty.

In order for a guild to be rtuely successful - especially if we are talking long term - the guild needs a good number of actual good players. These players are good beucase they do what they need to do in order to be as individually good at the game as possible - and one of the things that they will need to do to be as individually good at the game as possible is they need to be in a smaller guild.

I can see smaller guilds running alliances of them plus 3 larger guilds of players that don't have this same drive to be as good as they can, but players in guilds like that come and go, and so the power of such alliances will come and go.

A guild of ~80 players that are all playing the game to be as good as they can be though? that is the guild to be wary of.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

I personally don't see many successful guilds being over 100 players, in all honesty.

In order for a guild to be rtuely successful - especially if we are talking long term - the guild needs a good number of actual good players. These players are good beucase they do what they need to do in order to be as individually good at the game as possible - and one of the things that they will need to do to be as individually good at the game as possible is they need to be in a smaller guild.

I can see smaller guilds running alliances of them plus 3 larger guilds of players that don't have this same drive to be as good as they can, but players in guilds like that come and go, and so the power of such alliances will come and go.

A guild of ~80 players that are all playing the game to be as good as they can be though? that is the guild to be wary of.

This is my experience of guild alliances too.

1 highly competitive guild allies with a bunch of semi-competitive ones

I don't imagine the top 1% of players dominating all servers... but then irl this happens... either way I'm heaps excited to see how it plays out. Whether the 1% rules everyone or not I'm gonna be all "I WAS HERE".
  • Options
    apmaxapmax Member
    edited September 2020
    Its hard enough to organize one big guild, I don't imagine inter-guild politics on the scale of over a thousand people are going to lead to very long lasting alliances, especially given the growing economic potential of betrayal as a node or castle matures.
  • Options
    apmax wrote: »
    Its hard enough to organize one big guild, I don't imagine inter-guild politics on the scale of over a thousand people are going to lead to very long lasting alliances, especially given the growing economic potential of betrayal as a node or castle matures.

Also the fact that taxing is a legitimate perk for being in power - you KNOW people are going to fight dirty
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

I agree to an extent. When I ran my guild in wow we had 70 raiders for 7 ten player groups. We were all very competitive and often passed each other up for content. Each raid had a guild "leader" who was in charge of their own branch of the Council. We all recruited to the pool and from there players tried out for groups based on the people/comp/raid times.

Wow did not offer any other form of player other than PvP so we capped out at around 150 players. PvP had one leader who organized content but if I had continued I would have ended up with 3 which would have meant more content and more players. In AoC, there are more things to do in the end game. Professions, homes, pvp raiding, crafting that means something. I feel like with more that can be done, more players will want to join this style of community where jumping on discord while you aren't even in the game is still viable. Our current core group is really great and often communicate as a group of friends would. Once this extends to the content of AoC, we "should" be able to get 150 minimum.

At the end of the day, small guilds of 10-20 are just going to continue to be a cancer in a game like this (especially with alliances being limited to 4 currently). Giant mass invite guilds will also prove to be sink holes of players who just join for immediate events or to leech gear/resources and then hop to the next. We need more leaders willing to put in the time to grow the community and hold down some castles.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bricktop wrote: »
    That's the nature of an open world game. If a mega guild is controlling the server there should still be 1000s of players who aren't in the guild. Alliances will begin to form and war declarations will be sent when the players of the server get tired of 1 alliance being in control and the server will police itself in that regard.

Mega alliances always get bored of dominating if they don't start being challenged and fall apart after some time. Usually breaking apart into several smaller guilds composed of the various cliques that tend to form in a zerg guild and going to war with one another.

I was in such a guild in the Xbox version of Black Desert at launch and this is exactly what happened.

The guild consisted of players who came over from the PC version who already knew the game inside out so naturally we destroyed the Xbox noobs. Then I missed a few days of playing due to working 12+ hour shifts at work. When I got back I found myself without a guild because it had split into 3.

The guild lasted maybe a month before breaking up.
  • Options
    apmax wrote: »

It's not hard at all to manage a big guild. These are the types of typical guilds and leaders.

Elitist guilds - They don't communicate or work with anyone. They want to do the content like a pro gamer....and may do so but this craps on the community and they typically only log on for raiding or pvp content.

Mass invite guilds - everyone can invite so everyone joins. toxic players for days. Loot leechers. They definitely die out and are always greedy from the top down in terms of loot.

Tiny guilds - Someone with a small group of friends who want to roam and pvp and often quit because they can't fight 15 vs 40. They get discouraged and think "this game sucks cuz zergs". Sometimes end game content gets done, sometimes not.

Casual guilds - Farm all day and don't care about the rest of the content. Just chill and hangout. No end game content focus at all.

Very.....VERY rarely is there a true community of players looking for a collection of "good" players. I recruit other leaders who enjoy coaching/training players to be better at the game (I do a lot of this myself). I look for people who can attend content and want to complete end game raiding and PvP. Nobody can do this alone and I expect an effort from each member just like I know they expect the effort from me to keep it together. If everyones works at the goal of "let's have some fun and actually learn from our mistakes" we will clear content, murder our enemies and truly enjoy what AoC is offering,
  • Options
    An in game alliance of separate guilds coming together and staying together might have these organizational problems, But there are open game communities of people who go game to game, and bring in pre-existing organizations of hundreds. And they are entirely capable of forming separate mini guilds to keep efficient.

X guild name alpha, x guild name beta, and so on. Or just a guild name with a [Tag] to denote their community.
  • Options
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Kreed wrote: »

Well if they all had one alt, they would have to make a separate alliance at that point. So their alts wouldn't be on the same 'team' technically.

I think you misunderstood what I stated, to clarify There are guilds that have a over 1000 players can make 4 or 5 separate guilds. Then those guilds can make their own alliance. Each would have enough active players to accomplish this. This means one guild thats large enough can have its own active alliance that controls and is spread right out.
  • Options
    Oh i got the statement, you just said alt. So if the guild had 1000 people, and sprung for 4 guilds, 3 at max capacity and 1 for the remainder, if they wanted alts to be included, they would have to be in seperate alliances, or unrelated.
  • Options
    If anyone has ever played EVE, they'd understand that once you get solid core together for your group, you can branch out quite effectively. But as others have said there will always be issues and the ability to stop them from tearing a huge group apart is all on the leadership.

Now, my concern isn't actually a "mega guild" running a server, it would be the developers involving themselves in a negative way to break it up. I enjoy watching empires rise and fall in games, sadly though, current MMO's don't really allow that to happen. Here's hoping the developers don't involve themselves unnecessarily.
  • Options
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Oh i got the statement, you just said alt. So if the guild had 1000 people, and sprung for 4 guilds, 3 at max capacity and 1 for the remainder, if they wanted alts to be included, they would have to be in seperate alliances, or unrelated.

Ahh gotch ya, alts are going to be pain, alts and guild space is always a struggle if you have a guild count cap.

I am not sure if I like what Steven had said that using alts for extra storage and other support for main characters. Over the years I found that just a painful needless use for alts. I enjoyed games that eliminated that and opened up storage and crafting a bit. Shared crafting and storage made it much easier.
  • Options
    RaidGoblinRaidGoblin Member
    edited September 2020
    So instead of speculation forever have they actually come out and said if they would do anything to fix mega guilds from dominating or do they want them to completely dictate how a server is played? I know Steve really enjoys that kind of stuff so i'd expect him not mind it. But i can see a lot of exploits coming from this, which will leave both sides really bored and not wanting to play the game. (Adversaries being too huge and strong or too small and weak.)

I however think its very problematic when you have organized streamers or huge discord groups who are ready to jump in and dominate a server with their sheer popularity and population. I feel bad for the people who are naively saying the guild size limited will help or distance will help but casual or even smaller guilds will be easily ran over or assimilated. My group of friends run a huge multi-mmo guild server on discord and can easily dictate who gets what and set up multiple guilds. The game even has features to deal with people who don't follow the rules (Group of PKer's or excluding them from node/guild rewards and economy, tagging and even banning from the Guild for promoting in-fighting). I'm assuming the most dedicated no-lifers will be either leaders or high-ranking members of such mega guilds and thus be players who are the most better of.

I feel like people are overestimating how prepared some people can be to really unify to try to take over a server. All of this is a little too much for a casual player with a small guild and not a huge amount of playtime (FFXIV, GW2 players) and people who don't like feeling like they are just a cog in a 2000-3000 player collective being bossed around by the no-lifers. Also the excuse that the rest of the server should just join up and fight the guild is very naive as well, people who arent already joining mega guilds won't bother with that kind of content at all and are more likely to just stop playing (Which i assume will be the majority from recent mmos or people who don't have the time to no-life) If they encounter barriers set by others players.

TL:DR: If this game is to survive it will need to cater to both players at a balanced level, i legit have no idea how to fix this problem except for ways to incentivise in-fighting and in-guilds betrayal and plot destruction which is rewarded but tbh outside of the game this stuff can be easily circumvented. But i have a feeling Steven wouldn't like that, he seems adamant to want to stick with some very outdated and unbalanced concepts, like using alts for storage or thinking people are going to be constantly nice and not exploit the plot system.