Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

List the reasons why you would PK somebody that doesn't wanna fight back

Comments

• Options
    A simple question was asked "why would you PK?"

It was "Why would you PK somebody that doesn't wanna fight back", not simply "Why would you PK".
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    daveywavey wrote: »

It was "Why would you PK somebody that doesn't wanna fight back", not simply "Why would you PK".

You cant pk a person who fights back. Thats pvp
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ah reckon some feller done look at mah mule wrong he’s askin fur it, ayup

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

PK = Player Kill
    You absolutely can Player Kill a player that fights back. Why put it in your title question, otherwise?
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    ah reckon some feller done look at mah mule wrong he’s askin fur it, ayup

cocks potion launcher
    Ya'll best be outta here 'fore I need to pour out the hard drink. If ya get my meanin.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options

PK = Player Kill
    You absolutely can Player Kill a player that fights back. Why put it in your title question, otherwise?

You dont understand what PK/corruption/Red means.
  • Options
    DargronDargron Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Just as expected...

When I made this topic I wanted to show how many people are strange to the concept of a collaborative open world game. Collaborations bring rivalries and conflicts. Real player interactions. Not an NPC driven game.

A simple question was asked "why would you PK?" and the conditioned players from years on themepark story driven mmos, with optional raiding, optional battlegrounds, isolsted instanced gameplay thought "why would I grief somebody? I cant think of ANY reason to PK. If some1 PKs me that player is a griefer".
    No matter. The latest dev update reiterated that AoC has a vision which will stick to.

Not sure I follow your perspective. Attacking a player with no desire to fight back isn't remotely a requirement of a game like this. I played EvE Online for more than 4 years without ever once having need to kill anyone that wasn't already actively looking for a fight. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you have to.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tyrantor wrote: »
    Oh I don't expect dungeons to be full of PvP players by any measure, I mean some of them should be of course but the point I was making, is this is when I'll be creating my own pvp. Corruption resulting or not. If the hunting grounds doesn't have "purple" players and I just have to assume everyone has the same potential for not fighting back - I'm going to the location where someone has the most to lose and I have the most to gain from a loot perspective.
    I don't think you're going to find that in the hunting grounds. You are most likely going to find that in caravan raids, castle sieges and node sieges. And, it really makes no sense to think that you're going to gain a significant amount of profit while Corrupted.
    But, sure, try it and see how far you get.

• Options
    Just as expected...

When I made this topic I wanted to show how many people are strange to the concept of a collaborative open world game. Collaborations bring rivalries and conflicts. Real player interactions. Not an NPC driven game.

A simple question was asked "why would you PK?" and the conditioned players from years on themepark story driven mmos, with optional raiding, optional battlegrounds, isolated instanced gameplay thought "why would I grief somebody? I cant think of ANY reason to PK. If some1 PKs me that player is a griefer".
    No matter. The latest dev update reiterated that AoC has a vision which will stick to.
    Themepark or sandpark has no bearing on whether I would PK someone.
    Whether you would PK someone rests entirely on a person's basic PvP philosophy/playstyle.
    Nothing could entice me to PK. There are ways to turn me from a pacifist carebear to a PvP enthusiast - especially if the PvP combat is objective-based.
  • Options
    dargron wrote: »
    Just as expected...

A simple question was asked "why would you PK?" and the conditioned players from years on themepark story driven mmos, with optional raiding, optional battlegrounds, isolsted instanced gameplay thought "why would I grief somebody? I cant think of ANY reason to PK. If some1 PKs me that player is a griefer".

Not sure I follow your perspective. Attacking a player with no desire to fight back isn't remotely a requirement of a game like this. I played EvE Online for more than 4 years without ever once having need to kill anyone that wasn't already actively looking for a fight. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you have to.

Yes it is. get the hell off my grinding spot other random person i should have no bad feelings about.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    You continue to use terms like "niche" and "PvP centric" without any basis for qualifying what either actually means in your opinion.
    I did qualify. EVE is niche because it's pretty much the only example of a successful PvP-centric MMORPG.
    PvP-centric means most of the game gameplay design revolves around PvP combat.
    If it's half PvP and half PvE...like Ashes is...it's not PvP-centric. Ashes is PvX.
    WoW is really a PvE game with some servers that allow PvP combat. Historically most of the WoW servers have been PvE servers. But, I'm throwing you a bone by granting you it might be close to evenly split at the moment.

I don't really care what your perspective is.
    You can have the perspective that the solar system is geocentric if you want to.
    I'm just informing you that you that you are mistaken. I'm not really interested in convincing you.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Leiloni wrote: »
    Both Steven and Jeffrey in the most recent livestream mentioned Ctrl+F being the way to allow your character to hit other players. Then the second part is actually landing an attack that turns you purple. So it sounds like you have a toggle, Ctrl +F, that let's you attack other players but you're still green while in that state. So you'll have two types of green players out there - those who have not activated Ctrl+F (and thus would not be capable of attacking back in PvP until they activated that), and may or may not decide to attack back if you hit them, and those who live in Ctrl+F who likely will decide to fight back.
    Um. I dunno how many times it has to be explained to you before you get it.
    It's Ctrl + F + attack.
    Being green while in that state really has little meaning.
    Yes, you will be green when you initiate that attack while holding Ctrl +F, but you will turn purple the moment that attack lands.
    You cannot "live" in a Ctrl + F state. I suppose you could run around holding down Ctrl + F, but it would be idiotic to do so because it accomplishes nothing.
    Go back and watch the clip. Steven states what the design is and then clarifies, after Jeff speaks, that it's basically the Lineage 2 flagging system. Jeff says, "I thought it worked like this" And then Steven says, "No. It works like this. It's based off of Lineage 2."

Unlikely that a person is going to take a few hits and risk gaining Corruption by accidentally killing the target when you can't con the level of the target.
    But, sure, try it.
  • Options
    You dont understand what PK/corruption/Red means.

The clue's in the name. PK: Player Killing. Doesn't matter whether or not it's consensual PvP or ganking/griefing, the PKing is in the killing of the player. Hence the name.

PK/corruption/Red are not all just words for the same thing.

PK and PvP are not the same thing. They tend to go hand-in-hand, but they're not the same. Player Killing tends to come at the end of Player vs Player.
  • Options
    Just as expected...

You havent played L2. Nor have you been paying attention to AoC development. Go do some research. Come back later.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited December 2020
    Just as expected...

You havent played L2. Nor have you been paying attention to AoC development. Go do some research. Come back later.

I have played L2, for a very long time. At no point in time was killing somebody necessary to progress your character. It oftentimes helped you, it oftentimes made your life less painful, but at no point was it required. While i intend to agree with you on many to most points @George Black, @dargron is right in this case.

It's not necessary. It's sometimes beneficial, but it's certainly not a requirement. It wasn't in L2, neither will it be in AoC.
  • Options
    PKing is basically synonymous with ganking. It is not the literal meaning of killing a player during a PvP battle.
    A purple character who kills a purple opponent is not a PKer.
    A purple character who kills a green opponent is a PKer and will gain Corruption and be flagged red.
  • Options
    Btw many of you still carebearing havent quoted 1 post listing reasons to PK in this thread to counter argue the points.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    Just as expected...

I have played L2, for a very long time. At no point in time was killing somebody necessary to progress your character. It oftentimes helped you, it oftentimes made your life less painful, but at no point was it required. While i intend to agree with you on many to most points @George Black, @dargron is right in this case.

It's not necessary. It's sometimes beneficial, but it's certainly not a requirement. It wasn't in L2, neither will it be in AoC.

I dont remember saying it was necessary.
    People say it's griefing. I listed reasons why I would PK people.
    If dargon wants to let a green player rez his group that were just fighting dargon, let him do so. I'd rather proceed to farming knowing that there are no enemies nearby.
    It's not epeen. It's common sense in this game.
  • Options
    Didn't Carebear so far, but haven't answered the question either:

I don't think that I'd neither any other reason than either of the following:
    • It's beneficial to me or my group
    • I very much dislike the other person.
  • Options
    Btw many of you still carebearing havent quoted 1 post listing reasons to PK in this thread to counter argue the points.
    What??
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I didnt say you carebeared.
    I am saying, you listed 2 reasons why you would PK, people here instead of examining those 2 reasons you provided, keep saying PK is griefing.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    What??

Would you PK a player that didnt fight you back?
  • Options
    PKing is basically synonymous with ganking. It is not the literal meaning of killing a player during a PvP battle

Just cos you use the term wrongly doesn't change its meaning. As I said, the clue's in the name. You wouldn't ask what a hairdryer is for. It's obvious from the name. Same here. Killing a player in an organised 1v1 duel is PKing, cos a player got killed. Ganking is also a form of PKing, but it's not a synonym. That's why we have the term "ganking", to differentiate it from other forms of PKing.
  • Options
    The name is not literal. As I already told you.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I would not initiate an attack on a green player character, so the answer is inherently no.
  • Options
    The name is not literal. As I already told you.

It absolutely is.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Just as expected...

Yes it is. get the hell off my grinding spot other random person i should have no bad feelings about.

On the one hand, competition over resources is part of the game, so attacking someone who might reduce your opportunity to gather valuables is understandable.

On the other hand, you don't really own a grinding spot, so there's no more moral justification for attacking someone gathering near you than there would be if you attacked someone at random for no reason at all. In either case you are an aggressor forcing PvP. If they don't fight back, you deserve the corruption 100%.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    It absolutely is.
    It absolutely is not.
    "A PKer is someone who hunts less experienced players on internet videogames. PKer's are considered the murderers in the RPG universe. Usually, a PKer will target someone who is grossly lower in level then they are, if it is an RPG that is. PKers have zero remorse for who they kill, and will eliminate one or more of the same players over and over again."
    This is the typical connotation of PKer.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I would not initiate an attack on another player character, so the answer is inherently no.

So if a character was following you around killing the quest monsters you need, you wouldnt kill that player?
  • Options
    It absolutely is.
    It absolutely is not.

It absolutely is.