Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Racial benefits

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Combat benefits are fine too. In the long run it doesn’t matter, but does add some variation. Racial benefits are like pepper on gravy on meat. They add spice but don’t make the meal.

I’m ok with the spreadsheet monkeys twisting in their seats because what’s maximal and what’s optimal may not align.

C’est la’vie. 😉
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Patrull wrote: »
    I always play some kind of tank role. Some games a dwarf is the best for a tank. Most of the time those benefits mean nothing at max level. I personally hope racial benefits help in different environments and professions. Racial bonus shouldn't be a bonus to combat.

Why force races onto crafting roles over combat roles?

Race should be a "luck of the draw" each race should have something it excells at. And what it excells at should aline with its history, and flavor. If dwarves are the best tanks out of the gate, because they have a tank focused augment or buff. As long as there are some augments give equal, or better horizontal options for each role. That you can gain elsewhere like religion or what not its fine. It gives you an early game boost at most that way.
  • Options
    Hakaiju wrote: »
    Now do the opposite, tell me the games that you have played that haven't pressured you into a race despite their being differences.

If there are differences, the pressure to choose the best class is always there. I dont condemn race benefits, if they are balanced I actually see this as an advantage (partly because of the discussion here and on reddit) but with a 200h+ leveling process, I might want to change my race after 1k hours to have some other augments available. Making a new character with the same class just to change race seems really out of place. As i said before, a once in x month possibility to change race is all I'm asking for, not necessarily to go with the flavor of the month, but to try out some new augments and playstyles.
    I kinda wish they give us an xp modifier for Alts :p so once we get Max level all chars on that account get 50 percent bonus xp till they hit max. If it takes to long to level is a turn off for me with Alts like I'll do the leveling grind once but after that if it to slow I'll just stay with 1 char for eternity