Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #27 - Ideal Class

Comments

• Options
    I love magic classes of all varieties, but in every single game I've played where there is not at least one melee fighter who cannot at all use magic, I am saddened.

Please remember the non magic user, the athlete, the diligent practitioner of natural human capability, the master of the blade, body and mind. It is he who provides context and the juxtaposition needed for the magicians to shine.
  • Options
    QqhiIDX.png
  • Options
    HiidsHiids Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Its to early to tell. I am hoping got a class simlair to eq1 enchanters with there buffs and amazing crowd control.

I am focusing on two characters for ashes one will for sure be high priest class to help in group and party stuff.

• Options
    My ideal class is a tank that can heal itself or prevent damage. Because being able to take damage and do havoc is cool. B)B)
  • Options
    IreriIreri Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I"m sure my primary will be Cleric, but secondary will depend on how the class is played. My personal preference is burst healing over HoTs. I prefer focused heals to AoEs. There is nothing more boring as a healer than to stand around and hit AoE buttons only. Focused heals are more interesting as you have to balance your healing pool while considering need amongst the group and time to cast the various heals. I don't care for rotations since that takes all the fun out of healing.
    If the secondary archtypes end up being different DPS abilities then I'll do High Priest. With up to 6 other DPS in the group, the healer shouldn't be focusing on damage unless they are a secondary healer. Of course, my thoughts as a healer is this: if there is time for a healer to DPS, there aren't enough mobs in camp.
    I would really prefer the ability to focus on heals only to the detriment of DPS as the character progresses through levels. Since we're covering what we would like to have, I wouldn't mind a pet that heals if the Shaman class is more than just HoTs. Best of all would be to have the pet constantly putting HoTs on each team member while I can burst heal where needed. Or, a pet that does an AoE heal around where I place it while I do focused healing would also be great.
  • Options
    NchDuNchDu Member
    Hey Everybody!

I`m going for a tank class. The Knight (tank/fighter) would be my typical choice. The tank is a safe pick for all (group) content and the fighter sounds viable for solo adventures and PVP.
    The Keeper (tank/summoner) sounds also very interesting. All in all, I`m looking forward to 6 of the eight possible choices (not included: Guardian (tank/tank) and Paladin (Tank/Cleric cause))

If hell breaks loose and I`m deciding not to go for a tank then I gonna go for the Templar (cleric/fighter).
    I'm really craving more information about the 8 classes with their subclasses.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited March 2021
    the three I want to start the game with are Empyrean Battlemage, Dunir Dreadnaught and Kaelar Templar a bit of dps and tanky fun to help with solo and pvp
  • Options
    My playstyle prefers crowd control / damage / tanking. The damage isn't amazing but it can kill most other classes, though it takes a while and makes fights a lot longer. They can be used for setting up team fights or helping the team to disengage from losing fights. buts just as okay with fighting solo. I like the ability to look cool so it can be a strong ability that is slow. kinda like a brawler but with ridiculous crowd control. generally easy to play but hard to master because of a flexible ability combo potential.
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Template.png
  • Options
    off topic but will there be a way to try characters without having to level them up all the way? like somewhere in champion select to just try characters and their potential combinations, without having to invest a lot of time leveling them up to learn if you like them?
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Template.png
  • Options
    I have played a main healer for most of my mmo career. Enjoyed the questline for Benediction in vanilla and was super excited to be honored to be the first priest on my server to get the staff. I hope this game can revive that meaning in class choice with super powerful items or spells that make each class unique. I think I will double down on cleric but I would like to consider cleric/bard as well.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don`t know about ideal class, but I would like to see a few players uniquely identified in game such as the mayor or a select and small number of players.
    How identified, no idea

Oh and I have always enjoyed seeing a GM when they appear in-game too. especially when the join the game to dish out justice! ie GM pk a botter for all to see!
  • Options
    My perfect class would be a Trapper
    A rogue that specializes in laying down traps and out witting his opponents into march right in them.
    Showing up in someones face like a little rascal, dodging out of the edge of enemy blades, interrupting their attacks by swiftly throwing something at them or by simply kicking them down unexpectedly. Draining out their stamina and cool downs and frustrating them by small maybe not so harmful attacks until they follow him into a trap laying right there on the ground, where they find their doom. ;) would love this.
    I would love this to be Rogue + Fighter, maybe Duelist could have something in his skill set to make this happen. Dueling dirty and all :D
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Grimdawns Necromancer
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    when i saw cleric preview video, i changed my mind to play cleric as main base.
    maybe summoner/rogue then 2nd class must be cleric
  • Options
    SmooxySmooxy Member
    edited March 2021
    Rogue <-> Mage (Nightspell)
    Thoughts
    Role: Support
    Playstyle: Debuffing, applying DoT's, cc's, Cheap abilities which makes u last longer in fights with good survivability.

Difficulty is based on efficency

PvP Difficulty: Very Hard (Will require EXCELLENT team synergy to be able to control fights)
    PvE Difficulty: Moderate (Apply DoT's on group of mobs, Debuff on tanky mobs etc..)

Mage <-> Rogue (Shadow Caster)
    Thoughts
    Role: Burst DMG
    Playstyle: Fight from a distance, Good survivability, Easy to take down Support Class/Role Builds,
    Expensive abilities burns ur Energy/Mana quickly.

Difficulty is based on efficency

PvP Difficulty: Moderate (Squishy,Weak against CC's and DoT's)
    PvE Difficulty: Very Easy

Difficulty Level 7/7
    1. Piece of Cake
    2. Very Easy
    3. Easy
    4. Moderate
    5. Hard
    6. Very Hard
    7. Near Impossible
  • Options
    QockQock Member
    I've mentioned this in a previous post, but I REALLY want to have enchanted weapons. My thought is that Mage + Fighter would yield that. I want to be able to go REALLY hard into weapon smithing so I can forge really cool swords that my character can enhance as part of their fighting style through some form of elemental spell work. It would be even cooler if the swords themselves could be forged in ways that would augment the skill types being used by the class.

I picture my ideal class as some sort of Ronan type samurai that walks from town to down, getting hired to kill baddies or getting challenged to duels...walking up in cloth armor, drawing a sword, and then the air around the duel sight starts to fog with mist as the sword starts to freeze the particles of water in the air around the fight....and I charge in and with a single cut through the air, form a blade of ice that is flung towards the foe...as they gear up to block it, the sword ignites, turning the ice to steam so I can't be seen other than the faint glow of the molten blade, that then takes a limb off of the opponent....as the fog clears, the sword becomes blindingly bright, stunning the enemy, before the blade fades into the darkest of blacks and creates a phantom cut that disables the opponents sword arm.

Little bit of a narrative, but hopefully that paints the picture. Weapons that channel elemental energy that interacts with the environment and can be used to debuff/damage in creative ways. I want complex combat that rewards players that explore combinations and have scaled combat effectiveness based on technical competence.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    So far I seem to be interested in fighter as a sub class supplementing a rogue or cleric archetype.

Id like to see the game move away from pure invisibility = stealth. Id love for stealth to some how take into account lighting, shadow, eye line etc. Straight invisibility was a product of limited game making ability. The whole invisibile ---> 1 shot/huge damage is boring and generally 1 dimensional. Hope we can move on from it.
  • Options
    AreiaAreia Member
    I think the ideal class to start off with, for me, would either be a minstrel or soul weaver, I love the idea of bard's being able to buff and debuff all at the same time while also trying to keep pace with everyone, I feel like a bard could (if they knew what they were doing, no disrespect to anyone) really tip the scales in just the right way. And to me that would be the best feeling in the word.
  • Options
    BeastMaster and Falconer are my main choices that caught my eye, Love having a hoard of pets
  • Options
    aWildMokeaWildMoke Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm planning on trying out a Shadow Disciple (Cleric-Rogue) first. I am pretty confident that Cleric will be the primary class of my main based off of what I have seen so far but the secondary class I will probably do a ton of research to find the ideal pairing for what I am envisioning.

I really like playing artillery mages and healers so having a class that can do damage to enemies and heal allies from afar is my ideal class. In general I like classes that have a lot of utility and impactful and/or useful abilities. I like how the Cleric seems like it will have a lot of abilities that damage enemies and give some of that health to allies. In general I am willing to be squishy as long as I have utility to try and escape assassins and the damage and heals to pump out if I am just ignored.

A lot of games force you to pick DPS or Heals but I like the idea of not having the biggest numbers but as a tradeoff having lots of utility and abilities that empower each other. I am thinking I will go Rogue secondary because as a big fan of PVP who mostly plays Ranged DPS or Healer I am used to being focused by the enemy team. So the ability to have either invisibility or mobility that is typical of Rogue classes to engage or disengage seems really cool.

To give some examples from a few games:
    - In League of Legends I love Senna and how she can heal, shield and give allies invisibility while also scaling into a ranged damage threat. I also love Vel'koz who is an artillery mage whose individual abilities are more tricky to hit but slow the enemy and apply stacks which then start doing true damage once you reach maximum stacks, so if an enemy doesn't respect your damage and tanks multiple abilities they start getting shredded.
    - In Destiny 2 I really love the Attunement of Grace Warlock who has the ability to create zones that heal allies while also amplifying their damage. They also have grenades which can be used for either damage or heals and when your abilities heal or empower allies they reduce your cooldowns a bit. The class is great for picking a spot to defend because you can empower allies in an area and keep them alive, but it still has the counter-play that if the enemy team nukes that area and you don't react their damage can overwhelm your utility.
  • Options
    Some voiced their aspirations for more meaningful tank interactions than simply threat generation, especially as it related to PvP.

In regards to this, I would really like to see tanks be able to cooperatively block extremely powerful abilities that can be used by monsters in PvE, as well as possibly even siege weapons or weapons of mass destruction in PvP. Even if it was something like a tank with an ability that places a telegraph on the ground, in which any other party, raid, guild or otherwise allied member can hook into and contribute their blocking power.
  • Options
    the question is what does a class need to be fun?

The classes need to be flexible for the situations, it shouldnt be like against every monster i have to press 1-2-3-1-2-3. It would be nice to fight against this monster that way against another that way. To be flexible. Also it is important that the classes are not to easy and boring... so that you lose fun after 2 hours play.

I would like to play somekind of melee/midrange class as hybrid for Support and Damage. I havent played such a class in any mmo yet. Another class i would like to play would be a summoner class, where the summoner merches with his summons to gain excess to new Powers.

I really like, that you ask the community this questions!
  • Options
    qurionqurion Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have a few things I *ideally* would want in my class combo in AoC.

Firstly, I want it to be flexible in weapon choices. I'd hate to be stuck with a staff as a mage, for example. Why not give them e.g. swords for certain builds and playstyles? I fondly remember Xan from Baldur's Gate with his moonblade, and heck, even WoW had a sword as the fire mage artifact. If I could play a mage with a flaming sword in one hand, and not necessarily a staff or an orb in the other, but having the off-hand available for quick spells and cantrips, I would SO be a mage. However...

...I am a sucker for good armor. I spend SO much time in games figuring out how to look awesome. With "awesome" I don't mean a to be a disco ball of glitter, spell effects and with over-the-top shoulders with their own fireworks display. I'd like the ability to wear clean, low fantasy medieval looking stuff, and that fantasy doesn't go well with cloth. Sure, I like a good robe as good as the next person, but the ability to look somewhat discreet and simple, even in combat, is a big plus. If the casting animations are too overt and embarrasingly flashy to look at I'll probably play another class.

I'll probaly end up with a classic paladin/battle cleric like character. Armored, with a reasonable amount of buffs and being able to actually stand my own as a fighter if specced, is as important to me as the ability to be a back line buffbot should the need arise. I liked how the warrior priest in WAR looked and played. The aestethics alone would make such a class very tempting to me.

Character-based quality of life is important. Run speed, summon players, teleport, passive regen, less need for mana potions... the class should have *something" that make you go "oooh" other than pure looks and damage/healing numbers.
  • Options
    NatevNatev Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I just hope that the team is able to make the summoner archetype exciting and give it a bit of a learning curve to it. I feel like the class shouldn't just "get a summon" from an ability rather be given the tools to go out and find monsters out in the world to be able to tame and become your summons. I feel like the Beastmaster role so a Summoner/Ranger combination would be my best chance at becoming this style of class.

When I mention giving the summoner class the "tools" give the class abilities that enables the class the ability to fight without a summon, meaning that just because you don 't have a summon out you aren't completely useless that way the class could have more a little more uniqueness in what summons people will get within builds. This way monsters that get tamed into a summon could evolve depending on the secondary archetype that gets picked. For example if I had tamed a wolf as just a Summoner but then he evolves into like, a Dire wolf when I become a Beastmaster or a Shadow wolf if I went Summoner/Rogue to become a Shadowmancer, I think that would be sick.

All of this is just wishful thinking I guess, still going to roll a summoner as my main.
  • Options
    PowurshotPowurshot Member, Intrepid Pack
    I am interested in exploring land and sea. I have my eye on Hawkeye. I'm hoping choosing the ranger as a secondary on top of itself extends abilities like tracking, knowledge of/harvesting of beasts and plants, and the ability to solo travel for extended periods of time. I would love an ability to make random discoveries in the world of places and things, whereas a non-ranger class couldn't. caches of nests, rare plants, a hidden trove, etc.

Very close to this interest is the fact that you guys got me hyped about the sea to the point where if it's not my main it will be my main alt; totally playing a Nikua and living that life aquatic.

Lets be honest, with the variety Intrepid is creating there's no doubt, there's going to be a flavor for everyone.
  • Options
    His NibbsHis Nibbs Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm probably a little late but anyway. My ideal class is stealthy and ranged. I like to play cat and mouse. Sometimes I'm the silent stalker with a perfectly aimed and timed Ranged weapon and my foe drops like a sack of pig swill, of course sometimes I trip over a noob who chops of my legs with massive axe then taunts me for being a stupid idiot with all my high level gear. To be killed by a noob..... I will return my friend, I will return!
  • Options
    MemnaukMemnauk Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2021
    @LieutenantToast

Will any amount of class flavors matter when people start simulating the best class/spec/ability tree/etc to keep them raid and pvp competitive? How many will just get shelved for that reason?

What's the plan to avoid that type of scenerio?

Memnauk. The Devil.
  • Options
    Archer handsdown, but he need physical and magical attacks to counter mob types.Few defensive skills to stay alive and be able to kite while using his antistun skill.Close and long range Aoe skill to assist with survivability and group utility.
    Wings as mount since they usually are of the elves race.

I have another good suggestion for in game mechanic.Let me know if i can share.
  • Options
    LovedLoved Member
    I always lean towards the playstyle of rogue or mage and I am hoping that the nightspell or shadowcaster fill the playstyle that suits me. Being able to stealth up on targets and using a combination of magic and close range combat is what I am hoping to see from either of these class types. The stealth playstyle is the route I always take in many different games so I am excited to see the stealth mechanic and rogue archetype when it is released. Once more information is released I am hoping that stealth will be a large part of picking the rogue as a secondary archetype.
  • Options
    O man its so hard to choose. I think there are going to be quite a few different classes that have obvious advantages in certain situations over other classes for sure, but Im really hoping that people really stay spread out on class build and choice. It will kinda take away from the game if theres say 5/64 that are way better and everyone only plays those because of a "meta" style. Im sure you guys have already prepared for that though and have made sure that class combinations remain somewhat balanced, but still sometimes a little unbalanced is a good thing, just not too much.. Ive always loved being a tank, one hand and shield type, but Ive always liked the idea of being able to hit things from afar with arrows to draw down their health, and then get up close and personal with a sword and shield and finish them off. At least thats how I played in Skyrim lol. I think the fighter/fighter class will be amazing at melee dps though, and that the rogue/mage class is going to be great at dps as well. Who knows though?! We're just gonna have to wait and see once the game released lol Thats what patches and updates are for and why I love MMOs, because the game is always slightly changing and evolving as it goes. CANT WAIT