A solution to the non-combatant vs corrupted flagging issue.

123457»

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Grasp wrote: »
    Okay... Games can be "black and white" but humans are so incredibly varied.
    Yeah, but games don't tailor penalties to individuals.

I never said there was only one way of doing things, I said everything can be broken down in to time.

In non pay to win games, there is literally only one currency - time. Everything in the game can be achieved via time.

• GraspGrasp Member
    Noaani wrote: »

I never said there was only one way of doing things, I said everything can be broken down in to time.

In non pay to win games, there is literally only one currency - time. Everything in the game can be achieved via time.

Of course everything can be broken down into time, but a human does not look at a task and only consider how much time it takes.

Tailoring it to individuals has nothing to do with it really, all humans view things for their various aspects. You will never find a human that looks at every single situation and thinks "which option takes less time?" I could walk across this cliff edge and have a decent chance of death, or I could take the long way around and survive. Well which one takes longer? The second one. Well I would never choose that, right? Well, no.. I don't want to die.

I'm not disagreeing with you that everything can be broken down into time. I'm saying it's ignorant to assume every decision is based upon this. In fact often-times the decision would be made in spite of it.

How do you convert a griefer's desire to grief into time? It's not particularly easy, it's not exactly quantifiable. There just becomes a point where the griefer decides it's not worth it. I'm saying that the current penalties are not enough to quash the griefer's desire.

I commit murder. I could go to maximum security prison for 20 years or stay in house arrest for 30 years. One almost feels like a complete evasion of proper punishment. Yes, technically I'm still being "penalized" by being forced to stay home for 30 years, and it's a longer period of time, but it's so much more pleasant than being sent to the absolutely dreadful place we call prison.
  • GraspGrasp Member

Oh, and to extend the analogy with prison and house arrest, I don't even think house arrest should be an option. It isn't in real life obviously, but it feels like it's an option for griefers in AoC.
  • RhuricRhuric Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    7 pages. Yay.
    "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Again this is an assumption, but if we continue with the 4 minute penalty assumption for corruption I would think that the penalty for being killed as a combatant would be about one minute, making the penalty for being killed as a non-combatant 2 minutes. This would put the time a corrupt player would need to spend to work the penalty for being killed while corrupt at 8 minutes.

That sounds fine to me. The important part is that the time it takes to grind off exp debt from dying under corruption should be at greater than the average time it would take to grind off the corruption on mobs or quests. Preferably by at least a factor of two.
    edited March 2021
    Tailoring it to individuals has nothing to do with it really, all humans view things for their various aspects. You will never find a human that looks at every single situation and thinks "which option takes less time?" I could walk across this cliff edge and have a decent chance of death, or I could take the long way around and survive. Well which one takes longer? The second one. Well I would never choose that, right? Well, no.. I don't want to die.
    We are only talking about in game.

Any example you bring along that is from outside the game is inappropriate to this discussion.
    How do you convert a griefer's desire to grief into time?
    You don't, you look the time they will spend not being able to grief others. This can be said of any player that has a thing they want to do.

Ifa player has a thing they want to do, but have an action they need to perform before they can do that thing, they will perform that action as soon as they can, so that they can then do the thing they want to do.

If there is an option for spending longer on the action they need to perform, but where they are able to also do a thing they want to do as well (such as, they have a longer duration means of performing that action that they find more enjoyable, or more rewarding), then the way most people will look at it as a measure of time vs enjoyment (which is still a factor of time).

In reducing things down to time, this does not mean that every player will always take the fastest path (though most absolutely will). That means players will look at the time each path takes, look at the activities each takes, look at the side benefits of each path, and make a decision based on that.

However, this is still a function of time.

They want to get to enjoying the game as fast as they can. If the action they need to take has a slower path that is somewhat benefitial to the player (be that with secondary rewards, or with an amount of enjoyment), then the player may deem that this slower path is preferable, but that is because they are also factoring in the time it would otherwise take to get those rewards in to the equasion.

If the punishment is for 10 minutes, and there is a way of working off that punishment that takes 20 minutes, but also results in 10 minutes worth of other rewards (say, certificates from mobs in Ashes), then players have a decision to make - but this decision is still one that is based on time. If those secondary rewards were something that could be obtained in 2 minutes rather than 10, few people would consider this path to be viable.

Most people don't realize this is what they are doing, but this is what most players do subconsiously when making a decision in a game.
  • GraspGrasp Member
    We are only talking about in game.

Any example you bring along that is from outside the game is inappropriate to this discussion.
    How do you convert a griefer's desire to grief into time?
    You don't, you look the time they will spend not being able to grief others. This can be said of any player that has a thing they want to do.

Ifa player has a thing they want to do, but have an action they need to perform before they can do that thing, they will perform that action as soon as they can, so that they can then do the thing they want to do.

If there is an option for spending longer on the action they need to perform, but where they are able to also do a thing they want to do as well (such as, they have a longer duration means of performing that action that they find more enjoyable, or more rewarding), then the way most people will look at it as a measure of time vs enjoyment (which is still a factor of time).

In reducing things down to time, this does not mean that every player will always take the fastest path (though most absolutely will). That means players will look at the time each path takes, look at the activities each takes, look at the side benefits of each path, and make a decision based on that.

However, this is still a function of time.

They want to get to enjoying the game as fast as they can. If the action they need to take has a slower path that is somewhat benefitial to the player (be that with secondary rewards, or with an amount of enjoyment), then the player may deem that this slower path is preferable, but that is because they are also factoring in the time it would otherwise take to get those rewards in to the equasion.

If the punishment is for 10 minutes, and there is a way of working off that punishment that takes 20 minutes, but also results in 10 minutes worth of other rewards (say, certificates from mobs in Ashes), then players have a decision to make - but this decision is still one that is based on time.

Most people don't realize this is what they are doing, but this is what most players do subconsiously when making a decision in a game.

lmao my example can so easily be used in a game's context, you're just taking it too literally. I'm not talking about that specific example, I'm talking about the driving factors behind decision making. In game, in real life, doesn't matter. But I'll give the in game example anyway.

There's a dangerous mountain full of high level creatures I can't fight. There's a path going around the mountain. If I go over the mountain, it takes me a third of the time going around. If I take the mountain path, I'll probably die.

It's the same except now in a game's context. Happy?

Also for one, you're being pedantic with the meaning of time. Sure, technically you can convert the benefits you gain from the slower path into "how long they would take otherwise" but you can't just easily quantify every decision you make into how much time it adds or cuts.

Like if I am choosing between playing with some guild who will accelerate my progress or playing with a friend who doesn't want to be in a guild, there's more at play than just the time something takes. The relationship I have with my friend might be the driving factor. But of course there's a point at which I'm just like "nah sorry friend I really want to play in this guild" and it might have nothing to do with time but instead the content that you can access as a guildmember. No amount of time as a solo/duo will give you access to that content.

A griefer doesn't care about how much time it takes (to a point), he just cares if there's an exploitable way that allows him to grief, that isn't too much of a hassle. He might not care about grinding as a green. He might very much care about grinding as a corrupted, because there's so many other things you have to consider, like specific pathing, the time of day you grind off your corruption (off-peak hours so it's easier) the areas he chooses, the mobs (both of which might be popular spots for greens) like overall it might take him less time to deal with this but it might be obnoxious to think about and do. He might just prefer the simple monotony of getting rid of xp debt as a green.

Besides, you made my point for me:

It doesn't even matter if it can technically be reduced to time, the point that you've made for me is that the slower path might be somewhat beneficial to the griefer (be that with not having to grind as a red) so it's the path they choose.
    edited March 2021
    There's a dangerous mountain full of high level creatures I can't fight. There's a path going around the mountain. If I go over the mountain, it takes me a third of the time going around. If I take the mountain path, I'll probably die.
    If there is more than a 33% chance you will die going over the mountain, going around is the fastest.
    It doesn't even matter if it can technically be reduced to time, the point that you've made for me is that the slower path might be somewhat beneficial to the griefer (be that with not having to grind as a red) so it's the path they choose.
    I think you have lost sight of your point again.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Rhuric wrote: »
    7 pages. Yay.

Yo, chill a bit.
    Let people talk, you aren't forced to read it.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited March 2021
    True, but for obsessive compulsives like me who can't stand for there to be one of those tempting shiny "new" symbols next to a thread, we still have to click it every time. :(

Thank goodness there are only 31 threads on the first page! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Maybe corruption could increase the cooldown of abilities and actions in general? :)

The more corruption one has, the slower they become at all things.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unfortunately we don't know the full extent of death penalties yet.
    GW1 had death penalties that maxed out at 25% losing 25% of your health and effectiveness hurts. I would like to see this go higher for people that have a high PK count and corruption. Maybe 40% max so it really hurts when you die as corrupted. This would stop people from dying on purpose to remove corruption. But it also has to have bite to return back to zero. How long should that recovery be? I think it should matter based off of how often you go on a kill spree.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • WarthWarth Member
    Ostaff wrote: »
    Maybe corruption could increase the cooldown of abilities and actions in general? :)

that would impact their ability to get rid of the corruption, which would be stupid game design
  • OstaffOstaff Member
    edited March 2021
    A
    Warth wrote: »
    Maybe corruption could increase the cooldown of abilities and actions in general? :)

that would impact their ability to get rid of the corruption, which would be stupid game design

Ahh... but see.... I am all about non-redemption :)

DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!!!!
  • GraspGrasp Member
    If there is more than a 33% chance you will die going over the mountain, going around is the fastest.
    I think you have lost sight of your point again.

How have I lost my point? The point I was making for ages is that time alone doesn't dictate a griefer's decision, and you kept contesting this, until you said it in your own words (being pedantic about the meaning of time) and therefore agreed with me.

So.. The griefer takes the slower but more beneficial path (the benefit being skipping the more brutal consequences of corruption) in order to get back to griefing. It doesn't matter that it's slower for them to get back to griefing, because they still have the willpower to grief. The alternative is they bear the brutality of the corruption system and grind while corrupted, which is - as I'm saying - brutal. A LOT more brutal than just monotonously grinding mobs as a green.

So.. The griefer is going to choose the one that's easier for them overall. What's my point here? My point is that if you force the griefer to do the brutal stuff rather than having an easy way out, EVEN IF it would take less time for them, then the griefer won't even bother to grief at all.

Because you seem to keep not directly countering my points, I'm going to ask you a specific question that you can answer.

In the case where a griefer has an easy way out of consequences, not successfully quashing the griefer's desire to grief, should this easy way out still exist in the game? In other words, should the only way for a griefer to receive punishment be the hard way out?
  • GraspGrasp Member
    A
    Warth wrote: »

Ahh... but see.... I am all about non-redemption :)

DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!!!!

That'd be broken. Anyone who becomes corrupted (including people who don't grief, just murder on occasion) would be stuck as a red, or would have an excessively difficult time becoming green again, and would just quit. It wouldn't be worth their time.

In that case you'd actually have absolutely no one going red in the first place because of the reasons I just gave, and therefore the corruption system would be unequivocally redundant.
  • RamirezRamirez Member
    edited March 2021
    So for what i m seeing ,it won't be reliable gank for loot because green player
    won´t drop gear or mount, just a small amount of resources and you are putting in risk your gear and the resources that you get in the gank, is almost certain that you will die because everyone will kill you and if you try defend yourself corruption will get worst? That´s right?
  • RamirezRamirez Member
    edited March 2021
    dam
    How have I lost my point? The point I was making for ages is that time alone doesn't dictate a griefer's decision
    This isn't your point. This is some side tangent you are going on that serves no purpose to the discussion, and is one that I am trying to ignore.

Your point is that you think the fact that guards will attack corrupt players is/should be the major penalty for corruption.

Stick to that point.

The reason this is not a penalty, as I said a while ago, is because it doesn't take up any of the corrupt players time, as they would be expected to rid themselves of corruption as soon as they can (the act of doing so being the actual penalty of corruption).

The fact that guards will attack them is simply an incentive to undetake that penalty as soon as is practical.

A penalty that costs no time in an MMO is no penalty at all.

• GraspGrasp Member
    edited March 2021
    How have I lost my point? The point I was making for ages is that time alone doesn't dictate a griefer's decision
    This isn't your point. This is some side tangent you are going on that serves no purpose to the discussion, and is one that I am trying to ignore.

Your point is that you think the fact that guards will attack corrupt players is/should be the major penalty for corruption.

Stick to that point.

The reason this is not a penalty, as I said a while ago, is because it doesn't take up any of the corrupt players time, as they would be expected to rid themselves of corruption as soon as they can (the act of doing so being the actual penalty of corruption).

The fact that guards will attack them is simply an incentive to undetake that penalty as soon as is practical.

A penalty that costs no time in an MMO is no penalty at all.

I didn't just mention NPC guards. I said practically everything that causes frustration in the world while you are corrupted. Each time I mentioned NPC guards I specifically mentioned other things as well. I copied and pasted the same thing each time when I mentioned NPC guards, so I don't know how you're reducing my argument to "it's inconvenient for NPC guards to be hostile."

And no... That doesn't "serve no purpose to the discussion," you're just not understanding why I'm saying it. If you look at it in fragments, and isolate each thing (such as NPC guards attacking you) then sure, it's no big deal. But once you look at it more holistically; that, among all of the other things that happen to you while you are corrupted (being KOS, prevented from doing x y and z); the punishment becomes greater than the sum of its parts.

"The act of doing so being the actual penalty of corruption" referring to grinding mobs. Yes.. But it's not grinding mobs that's truly punishing. Because as I said, time alone shouldn't dictate whether or not something is good or bad. It's being attacked and interrupted while grinding mobs that's really the punishment. Cause you're risking your gear and whatnot, plus the actual time you might have to spend grinding mobs as a corrupted might exponentially go up if you get attacked way more than anticipated. You can't trade or store items which you might need to efficiently kill mobs (which you could get if you were green)

With grinding as a green however, the time you spend will be flat. There's no one attacking you and interrupting you. I can access storage to get the items that'd make it more efficient. So why would I even grind mobs as a corrupted? Not only do greens benefit from me grinding mobs because they could kill me and get my loot, (or bounty hunters could track me down and progress on their bounty hunting tree) it's also potentially going to take even MORE time anyway. I may as well die on purpose and escape those punishments.

Back around the circle, we come to this question again: Why should corrupted players be able to cop out and die on purpose to escape proper punishment? Time alone isn't a punishment if my goal is griefing players. How obnoxious it is for me to get back into griefing is more accurately the determinant. Time obviously comes into that, yes, but it isn't the sole defining factor. So if dying on purpose overall is less obnoxious than grinding as a corrupted, then I'm gonna do that.

BESIDES, why should a red even be able to avoid having to go out into the world as a red and risk getting killed? This should be enforced upon them.
    edited March 2021
    I didn't just mention NPC guards. I said practically everything that causes frustration in the world while you are corrupted. Each time I mentioned NPC guards I specifically mentioned other things as well. I copied and pasted the same thing each time when I mentioned NPC guards, so I don't know how you're reducing my argument to "it's inconvenient for NPC guards to be hostile."
    Yeah, but all of the other things you mentioned fit in to the same catagory of being things that encourage players to undertake the penalty for corruption as soon as they can - even when you look at all of them together, none of them are costing the player time. All they are doing is giving the player a good reason to deal with that corruption penalty as soon as they can. Even the item dropping aspect of corruption is there for that purpose.

If you are gringing mobs to lower your corruption, and you are in a position where you would potentially lose an item if someone attacked and killed you, then that is a result of you not dealing with the corruption you had soon enough, as you do not get to that point after just one or two corruption kills.

Again, that is an incentive to take care of the penalty sooner. It is only a penalty in itself if you do not take care of the actual penalty early.

Back around the circle, we come to this question again: Why should corrupted players be able to cop out and die on purpose to escape proper punishment?
    They can't.

If they die while corrupt, they face a penalty that takes longer to resolve.

And whats more, if they have a few kills worth of corruption, they may find themselves at a point where they have experience debt and all of it's penalties, as well as corruption and all of it's penalties. This is because one death doesn't automatically wipe all corruption, but one death does give the penalties of that death.