Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Flying mounts

Am I the only one who would love to see flying mounts being more accessible, but not too over the top?
Example; instead of lets say 10-20 people per server having flying mounts at a specific time, maybe like 500-1000 ??

I would love to hear what other people think. :smiley:

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd rather have no flying mounts. Besides, the standard is 20 from the nodes/castles and then we have timed flying mounts (Legendary Mount Category) so there might be a few more in the game world for different time spans.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    No. I'm perfectly fine with them being as restricted as they currently are. Makes them actually rare and nice to see when you see someone with them in-game.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited May 2021
    Nope, lower the number the better. I'd even be happy with zero honestly.
  • SchmukySchmuky Member
    Not zero, but 10-20 is just fine by me. Exclusivity breeds competitiveness. You see someone on a flying mount and go "i want that" so you go and make a guild and then make it a good guild and attack a castle. Bc you wanted to fly.

Hell, i would like even more systems like this
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Big no. the system they have in place now is perfectly fine
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Good to
    Neurath wrote: »
    I'd rather have no flying mounts. Besides, the standard is 20 from the nodes/castles and then we have timed flying mounts (Legendary Mount Category) so there might be a few more in the game world for different time spans.

Oh wow, I didn't even know this. Great to hear.
  • SchmukySchmuky Member
    Good to
    Neurath wrote: »

Oh wow, I didn't even know this. Great to hear.

So this will work like this:
    During Boss fights, players can get a rare loot drop of a dragon's egg (or something similar depending on the boss my guess)
    A player with animal husbandry profession can then hatch the egg and depending on their skill level, the mount will get different stats INCLUDING LIFESPAN. Those mounts will be time limited, i think Steven said in a stream it would be something like 15-30 days.

So they are temporary. But all flying mounts are temporary. You might mayor of a node and have a flying mount, but if you don't win the next election (elections happen once per month), you lose it. Same with guilds, you lose the castle, you lose the mount.
    Yes, 10-20 people sounds incredibly small, but, it will keep rotating around
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As a guild leader...I will probably end up owning a flying mount from a castle but I honestly don't even want it. I don't want to experience something in game that others will not have the option to experience. It will be cool AF for sure....but sucks for everyone else. I'm even go as far as getting guild members to mayoral status as often as possible so they can get a mount and experience it.

My ideal scenario would be to remove flying mounts and just let us see them as a GM uses it. That probably won't be the case though.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Flying mounts are no good in an open world PvX game. Allowing 10-20 people to have them truly is a compromise that keeps them in the game and makes them special whilst not ruining PvX.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • I have to agree, I like the idea of flying mounts being restricted. Adding a sense of awe and achievement for the players that really dedicate themselves
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Flying mounts kill the open world interaction between players.
    If wow went back to single servers the majority of the world would be dead because of a lot of things but flying mounts are one of the big ones.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • ShabobShabob Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel like the way it is now has the Total War Warhammer vibe to it where two armies clash on the field, but the legendary lords have flying mounts. There are going be huge egos and some drama over this stuff and I love it. B)
    wWk7s7B.png
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    I think it's very epic that only 20 people have it. When you see one you will follow him around in awe, and in battle maybe shit your pants when there is one on the other side leading his army, Witch King style.
    Im all about that kind of exclusivity, not because im gonna have any of that stuff, but it adds another layer of seriousness to the game.
  • I think the flying mount thing goes into that category of “if everyone gets one then it doesn’t have value”. To worse, if you don’t have one then you are missing out. Sounds best as a perk for holding a higher level of responsibility or an epic, limited reward.
    Shabob wrote: »
    I feel like the way it is now has the Total War Warhammer vibe to it where two armies clash on the field, but the legendary lords have flying mounts. There are going be huge egos and some drama over this stuff and I love it. B)

That is a good way to describe it really
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    With the full knowledge that I will never achieve a flying mount as I have no one to play with, nor will I get to be a guild leader, or a castle owner, I prefer them to remain very rare.

Makes it matter more, and breaks the game less
    Sig-ult-2.png
    Asgerr wrote: »
    With the full knowledge that I will never achieve a flying mount as I have no one to play with, nor will I get to be a guild leader, or a castle owner, I prefer them to remain very rare.

Might get lucky in a world boss fight
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Nagash wrote: »

Though I appreciate the optimism, my luck in terms of MMO drops, spawns, special events, Pokemon shinies etc is par to non-existant
    Sig-ult-2.png
    Nagash wrote: »

Though I appreciate the optimism, my luck in terms of MMO drops, spawns, special events, Pokemon shinies etc is par to non-existant

See I have really good luck with rolls (why i play Warhammer) so I always have hope :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• grimceegrimcee Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it's pretty cool as is, and feeds to a sense of rarity. Being that, if they do it like they say they are, when you see a flying mount in the game, you know it's somebody important. I think it'd be a pretty cool occurrence. It also adds at least some kind of drive for players to compete more in the social aspect, to become mayors and etc. Just about as close to simulated social gov't as I think you can get. Especially with scientific nodes requiring votes.

No more rambling, I promise. I think flying mounts are a cool and necessary driver to earn higher spots.
    "It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."

Rise from the Ashes

• Steven said in a stream that there are gonna be events that rewards you with a flying mount for limited time, so you are not gonna need a lot of luck with world bosses or being a GL to mount one if you do well on events, anyways, i love flying mounts system in this game, it's just perfect, steven is literally materializing 99% of all the things i wanted to see on a mmo
  • ViBunjaViBunja Member
    We need rare and legendary content that barely people own, to make it rare and legendary, this is also my issue with legendaries. They also should be rare. If anyone owns a legendary, why is it a legendary then? It'd be no different than common weapons, except they are expensive.
  • SchmukySchmuky Member
    edited May 2021
    ViBunja wrote: »
    We need rare and legendary content that barely people own, to make it rare and legendary, this is also my issue with legendaries. They also should be rare. If anyone owns a legendary, why is it a legendary then? It'd be no different than common weapons, except they are expensive.

Just had this discussion over discord actually. What i understood from interviews is that NAMED legendary will be one/server. So you can get Omu's Dragonsbane greatsword and you are the only one with it.

But. from the same boss that dropped that weapon you can get dragon scales as materials. And a skilled weapon smith can create a dragonsbane greatsword, but not Omu's dragonsbane greatsword.
    Thats my understanding of it anyway
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Unrestricted flying mounts are detrimental to sandbox games, which most MMO's fit in to.

They completely remove any sense of danger or difficulty during travel and grant the player too much agency over other players.

I'd much rather have zero flying mounts.

Gliding mounts are a fine alternative, because it's restricted flight.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tbh, I don't see why ppl say flying mounts have value. All I see in them is easy of travel and maybe small combat gimmicks. The only real value would be a player having some cool pack and showing it off on that mount
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Conrad wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't see why ppl say flying mounts have value. All I see in them is easy of travel and maybe small combat gimmicks. The only real value would be a player having some cool pack and showing it off on that mount

These mounts will have abilities to aid you in combat if I remember correctly. They definitely have value. Also, you can mount mid combat. When I get my mount my combat as a tank will be simple. Dive into the enemy team, CC as much as I can, mount up and retreat for heals if needed. Enter combat again from my mount while using the abilities. Obviously they can balance this by creating a longer delay to mount a flying mount but in current form, it will be busted.
  • Super curious to hear what people think of flying mounts and locking it behind certain content only less than 1% of player-base will actually achieve. Just curious what people think. If they think it's good because it makes it special and unique. Or if you feel similar mounts in the FUTURE could potentially be easier to obtain.

Watching a certain streamer yesterday i was just thinking how cool it would be with flying combat :)
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    Flying mounts should stay extremely rare for all time. It´s enough that some exclusive characters will have them. It´s what makes them unique.

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I feel that flying makes the mmo world smaller and less challenging, since you skip mobs to get from A to B.

You avoid PvP since you can fly at a higher elevation.

I think it should be locked forever for powerful leaders and the one two three or so that find a legendary egg..

I never cared for flying in mmos. Ye it's nice to explore. Do that for half an hour and it gets boring.

They have said that there will be 0 aerial combat/content so there is no reason for people to fly around.

I also dont care at all about gliding. But it will be in the game.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel that more flying, while aerial combat could be cool, would come at the cost of many other noncombat aspects of the game.

I am very glad to hear that there will be gliding for some, since I don't feel as if that affects the same things.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.