Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flying mounts

Comments

• Options
    DavyDronesDavyDrones Member
    edited July 2021
    Would be nice if there are none flying mounts. I want only gliders & ground mounts. And give them abilities just like in GW2. This game takes gliding and mounting to another level.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel like we have seen gliding mounts in action before, but I don't remember the stream exactly. They were fighting sky themed demon things on top of a mountain or something and Steven was riding a griffon (could have been a flying kind though he didn't fly with it that stream.) He jumped off the arena mountain and glided down kind of like a hang glider. Any one else remember what I am talking about?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    JustVine wrote: »
    I feel like we have seen gliding mounts in action before
    Keep in mind, Intrepid have created some things just to make current builds of the game easier. That doesn't mean those things would end up in the final product.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    JustVine wrote: »
    I feel like we have seen gliding mounts in action before
    Keep in mind, Intrepid have created some things just to make current builds of the game easier. That doesn't mean those things would end up in the final product.

Ok?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We had gliding Gryphons in Apoc.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Life's not fair.

Now what?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    And life still isn't fair.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's not just top 10. There will be raid drop flying mounts which can be sold and last 30 days. Thus, top 10% or more. No need to repeat the same threads.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    A mayor might only have a flying mount for 30 days lol. Depends if they get reelected or win the arena again in military node. Castle owners will only have the mount while the castle is held. No one has a permanent flying mount.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VillefortVillefort Member
    edited January 2023
    Flying mounts kill the open world interaction between players.
    If wow went back to single servers the majority of the world would be dead because of a lot of things but flying mounts are one of the big ones.

that's exactly right---they go through all this effort of making a beautiful world, mobs, etc....and we can just say, eh, F that and just fly around.
    That's what killed player interaction in WoW (that and cross realm nonsense) IMO

Edit:
    Oops didn't realize this was a zombie thread---
  • Options
    Zombie thread or not, yours truly is happy to see that most folks seem to agree: they need to remain RARE!

Am quite happy with the current design-plans, for flying mounts.

• Options
    Dolgrin wrote: »
    So now I'm supposed to waste my time and resources on getting a rental flying mount that I would only have for 30 days no thanks. And if repeating something gets the point across, I will keep doing it not fair to block players from getting things just because you 1% players want to feel special.

Not everyone will have the best gear. THAT's not fair!!!
  • Options
    From what i can see the design of the flying mounts are mainly for the large scale warfare giving the general a birds eye view and an ability to turn a fight in that area like a dragon breath.
    Now anyone can get a flying mount aswell its just very hard to get one unless ur a mayor of a metrolpolist however i see this are mainly suppose to be use to attack metro nodes to even out of the defence bonus of having one but they wanted you to put effort into this.

Flying mounts make the game somewhat boring if everyone has it and allows you to bypass so much. it wouldnt surprise me if metro flying mount have some restricting on them aswell, like cant carry materials (so u cant pack mule resources safely between cities, or it has limited flight time and so on.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2023
    Up to 50,000 players per server and only up to 10 people on that server who can even use a flying mount, combined with how rare they are supposed to be, chances are you won't even notice them in the game.

Even if you do, given the amount of responsibility that mayors have, I'd say it's a worthy reward for them. So yeah, I'm not too worried and don't think it will harm the game in any meaningful way.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If everyone can't have a flying mount, then no one should have a flying mount. Not fair that just the top 10 players with no life get a flying mount.

this is why mmos are trash nowdays, when did people got so entitled? mmos don't need to dumb down to make all the snowflakes happy, there's enough games in the market that does that.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If everyone can't have a flying mount, then no one should have a flying mount. It's not fair that just the top 10 players with no life get to have one.

vrom44d0xssw.png
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    ZainoxZainox Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I personally like being able to try and collect and own everything and not being able to have a flying mount while others can kinda sucks imo. You can still get a flying mount if you're really lucky, but it comes with a 15-30 day life span. But, I get it. It being rare in itself makes it a cool thing to see in the server.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    So now I'm supposed to waste my time and resources on getting a rental flying mount that I would only have for 30 days no thanks. And if repeating something gets the point across, I will keep doing it not fair to block players from getting things just because you 1% players want to feel special.

you do realize this game is gonna have a lot of gated content. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO EXPERIENCE EVERYTHING.

Top Guilds will block players from Raid Contents & Loot due to no instances - See Lineage 2, Everquest

So you may never get to sniff BiS items as it will be gated.

Not everyone gets to be a mayor of a node

Not everyone gets to be a king/queen of a castle

There will also be unique items in the world - One of a kind and you'll never get to hold one either

You may get to see a world boss - but top poopsocks guilds will own the loot rights. Special monsters that has tag rules will be camped 24/7 by poopsock guilds.
    Special Item drops from world dungeon has the potential to being locked down 24/7 by poopsocks guilds.

{UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    I think it is realistic to give flying mounts only to people who enter politics. All other players will be envious and will try to get elected one way or another. :smile:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Not sure how often flying mount vs flying mount wil happen either.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Not sure how often flying mount vs flying mount wil happen either.
    I'd imagine some super high value sieges (especially node ones) could involve enough high ranking players to see a few of them flying on mounts. And I can already imagine how fucking cool that would look, seeing two+ dudes flying above the siege, while several hundred people on the ground fight each other. That's something right from a fantasy story, which is kinda the point. If everyone's riding a flying mount - this interaction would not be special at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Why would two castle guilds fight each other if we can only hold one castle at a time? I can see two metropolises on the war path and I suppose the related castles would also get involved.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Why would two castle guilds fight each other if we can only hold one castle at a time? I can see two metropolises on the war path and I suppose the related castles would also get involved.
    As long as a castle-holder can register to attack another castle - they will. If they can't - they'll probably get their satellite guild to attack. In order to stay at the top you gotta put/keep others down.

And don't forget about the plain dropped flyers too. Those are the reason why I mention "high ranking" players. If we can trade eggs (or whichever form the drops will take) - people will sell their flying mounts to the highest bidder, as long as they don't need it themselves. And an important upcoming siege is definitely worth of becoming that highest bidder.
  • Options
    Yeah I stated about the drops earlier in the merged thread. I imagine those who plan to siege will field as many flying mounts as possible. I'm not sure about the whole fiasco because there were flying mounts in a1 but no pvp on flying mounts in a1. I'm not sure if we can counter aerial threats with the current abilities unless bow/ranger or ranged magic/wizard.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I stated about the drops earlier in the merged thread. I imagine those who plan to siege will field as many flying mounts as possible. I'm not sure about the whole fiasco because there were flying mounts in a1 but no pvp on flying mounts in a1. I'm not sure if we can counter aerial threats with the current abilities unless bow/ranger or ranged magic/wizard.
    If L2 could do it all the way back then, I definitely think Intrepid can do it now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRZfwDgSQAQ

As for other players trying to combat them - siege weapons. You think the other side might have a few flyers? Prepare for them by allocating resources to specific siege weapons that help you kill them. Could be operated by a lowbie (to include them in the siege) and would also be real cool to see a flyer come down because their mount got hit with a hugeass arrow or smth.
  • Options
    Not convinced about siege. These flying mounts will be used where the advantage is best placed. Only fools will use them around siege.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Not convinced about siege. These flying mounts will be used where the advantage is best placed. Only fools will use them around siege.

Seeking clarification on this.

"These flying mounts will be used where the advantage is best placed."

"Only fools will use them around siege."

Would a siege not be considered high value deserving any and every advantage you can acquire?