Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flying mounts

124»

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I used the term siege in short hand for siege weapons. It was my rts slang usage. In an actual siege you would probably keep the flying mounts in reserve for once the siege machines are destroyed or overpowered, thus, ensuring dominance. Both sides will have siege weapons.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ok.
    I would use them as advanced scouts from the air to give recon information back to my side on enemy movements and fortifications. Proper up to date information is more useful then numbers on the ground.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree but I still wouldn't risk the limited capacities in foolish endeavours. Its okay if you're a ring wraith flying over Gondor but not so good when you might lack heals flying over Baker Street.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As @Noaani mentioned earlier in this thread, I think we'd all benefit from some detailed clarification from Stephen on what he envisions for gliding mounts. So far, we only really have a "maybe" vision of these mounts functioning like Gliders in AA.
    Quote from Stephen courtesy from a question by @Talents
    Talents: Steven Sorry for the question, but what are the plans for gliding mounts? Will they be used in the same way ArcheAge gliders were (curing combat in order to move and reposition quickly)

Steven: I think thats our plan... High mobility,
    repositioning in fights, and a cool feature to glide over the land with :smile: but can be better controlled for design purposes and PvE content

I'll toss my opinion in:
    I think GW2 has set the golden standard for "flying" mounts. There is a bit of skill involved with managing momentum, stamina and route planning. You can't just point the mount in a direction and go afk.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Neurath wrote: »
    Not convinced about siege. These flying mounts will be used where the advantage is best placed. Only fools will use them around siege.

Commanders in the air calling shots, since they r gonna have aerial view to make correct decisions. Those using it as a weapon and not a tool won't last long imo.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    As others have mentioned, there are design reasons why flying mounts are currently designed to work the way they are. You can read more about this system as well as all others, with quotes to Steven often explaining his thought processes here, on the wiki! https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Alternatively, perhaps some class types could convince or trick some animals or flying mob types to allow you on their back for a very limited time before they set themselves free... if you reach the highest level as a beastmaster, trickster, etc., and find the rare creature.

This temporary flight would not be longer than an hour at a time, with very limited tolerance for taking damage and carrying capacity, and allow the player a few combat skills while flying comparable to mounted combat skills.
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »
    As others have mentioned, there are design reasons why flying mounts are currently designed to work the way they are. You can read more about this system as well as all others, with quotes to Steven often explaining his thought processes here, on the wiki! https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

Are you referring to the Royal Flying mounts here? I think its quite clear what Stephens thinking is on this topic.
    What we have a whole lot less information and direction is of is those `Gliding` mounts and what to expect from those.
    The wiki for Gliding Mounts is 3 dot points and (imo) could use a bit of love.
    Terminology mixup isn't helping anything here :neutral:

Or maybe I've just misunderstood this whole thread from the beginning (definitely possible).
  • Options
    I feel the gliding mounts will be like the gliders in AA or the wings in Aion. I'm not sure if we will be able to jump high enough to use them effectively in Ashes though. Most of the time I feel they will be used from elevation to lower vistas.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I feel the gliding mounts will be like the gliders in AA or the wings in Aion. I'm not sure if we will be able to jump high enough to use them effectively in Ashes though. Most of the time I feel they will be used from elevation to lower vistas.

PLEASE NO WINGS!!! Putting wings on everyone honestly ruins a game. GW2 is a good example.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options

PLEASE NO WINGS!!! Putting wings on everyone honestly ruins a game. GW2 is a good example.

Some old maps in GW2 got easier but others were cool.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options

i wasnt advocating for wings, i merely highlighted the wings have the same effect as the gliders in AA lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif