Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Benefits for corrupt players

The current Corruption and Flagging system kills the vibe. Of course, no one wants to be PKed right after leaving a Node, but at the moment, there is literally no reason to PK. There is no Risk vs. Reward, it's just death.

Corrupt players can only remove corruption by dying or by slowly leveling for x amount of time. Plenty of bounty hunters might try to kill you and the consequences for dying are massive. Not only that, but combat becomes more and more difficult the more corrupt you are. Just a 10% decrease in stats would cripple me in PVP, so why would I ever become corrupt?

The only benefit is that non-combat players suffer twice the death penalty as combat players, so if you kill one of these players, you might get slightly more resources. This is not at all worth it. It would be cool if Corrupted players could receive some tangible benefits, rather than just having a ban on PKing in disguise.

My idea is, if the NPC reputation system is expanded to have evil NPCs be more favorable to Corrupted players, they might be able to exchange rare resources and items. The more PKs under your belt, the better the items. If you already have killed five players, let's assume you suffer a 5% decrease in stats and are a very tempting target for bounty hunters. If your goal is to get 10 PKs so you can trade for some really good items or resources, then the risks and benefits would balance each other.

Comments

• AsgerrAsgerr Member
    b9a0bfc3-7ac2-42a2-8ad8-be90fb39346f_text.gif
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2021
    What are you talking about?
    How many modern mmos have you seen where you can actually kill another player somewhere else except for an instanced battleground or a tiny pvp designated area?

Isnt it rewarding to finally being able to kill a person that annoys you?

The corruption is PUNISHMENT.

What you describe is rdr2 online, gta 5 online. You dont describe an mmorpg
  • What are you talking about?

Players fall into 3 categories: non-combatant, combatant and corrupt. You can kill the latter 2 without any problems but if you kill non-combatants(people who don't want to pvp) you become corrupt.
    edited May 2021
    Ye dont tell me about. I was playing L2 with the excact same corruption system and open world pvp.

I am telling you the system is a punishment mechanic to protect the other elements of mmorpg besides PvP:
    Character progress
    Crafting and market
    Exploration

• What are you talking about?
    How many modern mmos have you seen where you can actually kill another player somewhere else except for an instanced battleground or a tiny pvp designated area?

Isnt it rewarding to finally being able to kill a person that annoys you?

The corruption is PUNISHMENT.

What you describe is rdr2 online, gta 5 online. You dont describe an mmorpg

Not exactly, gta5/rdr2 don't punish you for massacring players. The corruption system does so it's not comparable. Also i'd not advocating bullying players who are of a lower level or anything, I just think very few people would choose to risk a lot to gain a lot. It's very appealing to me as it's far more challenging, I don't think the bounty hunter system will be an easy thing to manage.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You stared off sounding like you were on the right track and understand it all quite well. Then you weaseled off into the weeds.
    Corruption IS a punishment. It is not supposed to be rewarded. There will be tons of pvp events. Running around curb stomping noobs should be heavily punished.
    Why should you be rewarded for killing other players for the lol's?
    The system is setup so you can choose to and some people will regardless of the consequences.
    The corruption system is there to slow down the murder box feel.
    There should be no upsides to running around and killing people.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • JirueJirue Member
    edited May 2021
    The entire point of the corruption system is to discourage random killing of people just minding their own business. Giving any kind of rewards makes it have an incentive, the opposite reason the system exists. If you're looking for incentives to kill people, that's what the convoy and guild/node war systems are for.
  • You stared off sounding like you were on the right track and understand it all quite well. Then you weaseled off into the weeds.
    Corruption IS a punishment. It is not supposed to be rewarded. There will be tons of pvp events. Running around curb stomping noobs should be heavily punished.
    Why should you be rewarded for killing other players for the lol's?
    The system is setup so you can choose to and some people will regardless of the consequences.
    The corruption system is there to slow down the murder box feel.
    There should be no upsides to running around and killing people.

First of all, killing players who are lower leveled should absolutely be heavily punished. What I am talking about is not about allowing everyone to just go around killing people. As mentioned above, I completely agree with the idea of PVP becomming more difficult and the punishment for dying becoming greater. So I don't think more than 0.1% of players would take this opportunity. The way Steven described the negatives of corruption, I find it almost impossible to kill more than 5 players of the same level without dying.
    edited May 2021
    You are not meant to kill 5 non combatants. That is a killing spree
  • You are not meant to kill 5 non combatants. That is a killing spree

Yes and as punishment you would drop 2 items, lose 2 hours worth of leveling and probably still be corrupt. Very appealing, I can already see the long line of players willing to apply.
  • JirueJirue Member
    edited May 2021
    The way Steven described the negatives of corruption, I find it almost impossible to kill more than 5 players of the same level without dying.

You only gain corruption when you kill a player who refuses to fight back, leaving them in a non-combatant state. As soon as they fight back, it's a mutual fight so you don't get corruption. Even if you are marked as corrupted, you only gain more corruption from killing non-combatants. You can kill combatants and other corrupted as much as you want without getting more corruption.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Yes and as punishment you would drop 2 items, lose 2 hours worth of leveling and probably still be corrupt. Very appealing, I can already see the long line of players willing to apply.

I am that very player.

When I kill you, I will be able to afford the loss of any gear used to do so.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

I am that very player.

When I kill you, I will be able to afford the loss of any gear used to do so.

I am confused on whether you are implying its worth it or that you are a masochist. I also would do it and probably fail miserably.
    you are not meant to walk up to 5 people and kill one of them, and them expect his friends to let you walk away seeing you become red. If u are SKILLED ENOUGH to kill them, you must get more corruption as a consequence for your choice to walk up to 5 people and kill one, unprovoked.
    I use to have at least 3 PK on me at most. Then I'd run away, burn my corruption and then do a repentance quest to lower my PK back to 0.

That's it. It's a punishment system to protect the game. It should be nothing more nothing less. And it should definitely not be confused for anything lore related. That's where people start to come up with stories and systems.

I am confused on whether you are implying its worth it or that you are a masochist. I also would do it and probably fail miserably.

If I see a reason to kill someone I make sure that I can afford the "Rewards" of going red, and I do it. It is that simple.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Jirue wrote: »
    The way Steven described the negatives of corruption, I find it almost impossible to kill more than 5 players of the same level without dying.

You only gain corruption when a player refuses to fight back, leaving them in a non-combatant state. As soon as they fight back, it's a mutual fight so you don't get corruption. Even if you are marked as corrupted, you only gain more corruption from killing non-combatants. So, you shouldn't be getting any weaker if you're fighting people who would fight back. It's only if you keep attacking people who refuse to attack back that you would get too a weakened state.

I was not aware of that. If that's the case then the corruption system in its current form is useless. I don't think many people would just die willingly.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Happy to be wrong here, but first part of the question/statement was what was there no reason to PK.

Doesn`t a portion of resources drop from a player that dies, which can in some form or another be picked up by the player killer. If that is the case, then quite possibly there may be incentive to pk and take a risk.

ie if player A takes 60min to gather X resource, and player B can pk them to get 50% or 30min worth of resource gathering, it may just end up worth the risk, especially if far from populated areas and/or high value gathered item

• akabear wrote: »
    Happy to be wrong here, but first part of the question/statement was what was there no reason to PK.

Doesn`t a portion of resources drop from a player that dies, which can in some form or another be picked up by the player killer. If that is the case, then quite possibly there may be incentive to pk and take a risk.

ie if player A takes 60min to gather X resource, and player B can pk them to get 50% or 30min worth of resource gathering, it may just end up worth the risk, especially if far from populated areas and/or high value gathered item

So far from watching the streams and videos, the resources dropped are a small minority and the punishment for the offending party is extremely severe if they fuck up and die.
  • False ProphetFalse Prophet Member
    edited May 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

If I see a reason to kill someone I make sure that I can afford the "Rewards" of going red, and I do it. It is that simple.

Well the idea is that you can never be sure of anything. I don't think its possible to confidently kill players, while suffering a stat penalty and being chased by players who know your location.
    Jirue wrote: »

You only gain corruption when a player refuses to fight back, leaving them in a non-combatant state. As soon as they fight back, it's a mutual fight so you don't get corruption. Even if you are marked as corrupted, you only gain more corruption from killing non-combatants. So, you shouldn't be getting any weaker if you're fighting people who would fight back. It's only if you keep attacking people who refuse to attack back that you would get too a weakened state.

I was not aware of that. If that's the case then the corruption system in its current form is useless. I don't think many people would just die willingly.

You are wrong. The corruption system in this form has been working perfectly since 2003
  • False ProphetFalse Prophet Member
    edited May 2021
    Well i'm pretty sure you are wrong because the published explanation of the flagging system explicitly states that if you kill a corrupt player, you will remain in a non-combat state.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_flagging
    edited May 2021
    Well i'm pretty sure you are wrong because the published explanation of the flagging system explicitly states that if you kill a corrupt player, you will remain in a non-combat state.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_flagging

Ye. Dont become corrupted if you dont have the balls.
  • JirueJirue Member

I would. I would ignore the pesky fly nipping at me because they're not worth my time. If they kill me, then they get corrupted and suffer the consequences. If they don't kill me, then I just move on my merry way as before.
    Well the idea is that you can never be sure of anything. I don't think its possible to confidently kill players, while suffering a stat penalty and being chased by players who know your location.

@George Black is right. The corruption system has been working fine since 2003. With Lineage 2 with the Karma system. Which is why I am so confident about how all of this will play out in game.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Ok then we agree that my proposition does not really improve the status of corrupt players a lot. The way I see it, only masochists like myself would even consider participating and get a short dopamine rush, followed by having to waste time and get nothing in return.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

@George Black is right. The corruption system has been working fine since 2003. With Lineage 2 with the Karma system. Which is why I am so confident about how all of this will play out in game.

As mentioned in another reply, the system does not work like so. You don't become a combatant even if you kill 1000 corrupt players.
  • Jirue wrote: »

I would. I would ignore the pesky fly nipping at me because they're not worth my time. If they kill me, then they get corrupted and suffer the consequences. If they don't kill me, then I just move on my merry way as before.

Yes but since non-combat players can kill corrupt players without changing to combat players, you really don't have a reason not to resist, furthering my point that this will not make PKing widespread in any way.
    Ok then we agree that my proposition does not really improve the status of corrupt players a lot. The way I see it, only masochists like myself would even consider participating and get a short dopamine rush, followed by having to waste time and get nothing in return.

If I dont like someone I will PK them regardless of consequences. Just like millions of players have been doing since 2003. It's a new concept for you. If you cant understand wait to experience it.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I strongly disagree with the OP's underlying premise that PKers should somehow be rewarded for their deeds. Corruption, as other replies have stated, is a PUNISHMENT. Do you get punished for good deeds? No. You get punished for bad deeds, like killing white players.

Back in early L2, there were many players, lots of players, who quite the game early on because of the rampant PKing around the starter villages. So much that it hurt the commercial viability of the game. There were a surprising number of jerk/players who got their jollies from killing white players, players too low to effectively fight back.

When I first logged in to Alpha, I was PKed right there in the starter area, so by the time my screen loaded I was dead. While level 1 on my first character, I was twice more attacked by higher levels. So I stood there and let the attacker go red so they could be dealt punishment by players their own level.
  • JirueJirue Member
    edited May 2021
    As mentioned in another reply, the system does not work like so. You don't become a combatant even if you kill 1000 corrupt players.

Yeah, that's the point. It makes non-combatants your worst enemy since they can track you down and you would be weakened if you kill them in return. It flips the dynamic, since you killed someone minding their own business those same people become your biggest weakness until you are no longer corrupted.