Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Benefits for corrupt players

1235»

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Return to the forums to find a new corruption thread!

good to see things are business as usual~
    Perhaps we need a new diagram. Are people having trouble understanding the chart?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited May 2021
    maouw wrote: »

Perhaps we need a new diagram. Are people having trouble understanding the chart?

I don't think so, @maouw.

The PK crowd fully understands the chart. But, they're still gonna post their weekly new thread anyway ... of why the current corruption mechanic is "unfair" and to bargain for something better.
  • Options
    RazelthethirdRazelthethird Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i would hope killing people is more focused on justifiable reasons such as sieges, declared clan wars, etc. If you want to be a overall low life ganking noobs, then you should be punished appropriately. They make FPS games for those types of people.
    Axiom-Guild-Signature-Template-RAZELTHETHIRD.png
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    i would hope killing people is more focused on justifiable reasons such as sieges, declared clan wars, etc. If you want to be a overall low life ganking noobs, then you should be punished appropriately. They make FPS games for those types of people.

Unfortunately a lot of pvp players have been , are now and will continue to be a-holes because they like being a-holes. This game will be no different with toxicity , you really cant get around it in open world pvp games.
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    edited May 2021
    The only problem I have with the corruption system is that non combatants have double the death penalty of combatants. Maybe it is fair but currently I just can’t get my head around it.

Edit: will add that my information comes solely from the wiki.
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Biccus wrote: »
    The only problem I have with the corruption system is that non combatants have double the death penalty of combatants. Maybe it is fair but currently I just can’t get my head around it.

Maybe its incentive to make the player try to pvp back and not just stand there. I really don'[t know otherwise.
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    Maybe its incentive to make the player try to pvp back and not just stand there. I really don'[t know otherwise.

Yes for sure it gives an incentive to fight back. But against an enemy you can’t beat who is essentially ganking you. The only way for them to get corruption is for the non combatants to take a 2x death penalty. Which to me feels like a double punishment to the non combatant.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack

You are looking at it the wrong way.
    Combatants will have HALF the penalties of non combatants.
    Steven wants to encourage fighting back.
    If you, the player, die as non combatant to another player or mob, you will lose the same xp and drop the same raw material/certificates.

If you, the player, fight back and lose to another player, you will lose half the xp and drop half the raw materials that you would have dying to a mob.
  • Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited May 2021
    Currently the system isn't working properly. They need to increase the difficulty in removing it for it to work. So far what I heard the tuning is now isn't enough for it to be an actual penalty. I'm sure it's not the final balance for it. However, I will voice now that with the balance it had is not going to be an actual deterrent,

The system is meant to have no rewards because the reward is getting to PvP whenever you want essentially. The penalty is mostly in effect to stop griefing so you are really not meant to be able to stay corrupted for long without the entire map trying to kill you.

If the penalty doesn't prove to be enough to stop widespread pvp they will probably buff it until it does. At least against those that stand no chance or do not want to pvp.

The game will almost always have something pvp to do without risk of corruption. So actual PvPers will probably be in those areas. PKers are most likely to be corrupted and will probably be killed since people have hated them since Diablo 1. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Corruption balance will be tricky , reducing the ganking but given players agency to remove unwanted players from certain areas. Plus it is going a big source of drama in the future since the game got hype up and there is going to be a lot players unaware that they have no real pvp immunity in the game. Do your research before buying is my advice.
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    If you, the player, die as non combatant to another player or mob, you will lose the same xp and drop the same raw material/certificates.

If you, the player, fight back and lose to another player, you will lose half the xp and drop half the raw materials that you would have dying to a mob.

I can understand what you’re saying but it’s not, in my opinion a fair way of doing it.
    Say you gank someone gathering that’s way lower level than yourself. You can think great.. if you want me to get corruption for this, I’ll get twice as much loot than if you fight back and die either way.

Maybe it is just the way I’m looking at it but I don’t think my opinion is invalid.
  • Options
    You will get a huge amount of corruption for attacking low level players as a high level , I don't see it being very common in the game.
  • Options

I can understand what you’re saying but it’s not, in my opinion a fair way of doing it.
    Say you gank someone gathering that’s way lower level than yourself. You can think great.. if you want me to get corruption for this, I’ll get twice as much loot than if you fight back and die either way.

Maybe it is just the way I’m looking at it but I don’t think my opinion is invalid.

It was done to punish players for not fighting back, but ya it is a question to why are you punishing players for a decision that is like 90% of the time not going to be their decision to make. Technically getting one shot will be determined by the game as not fighting back.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    We will get better feed back on this when non-nda Alpha ! starts , some people where not liking xp debts in past tests. It up in the air and anything can change.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

The thing with that is if you attack someone that is a lower level, and they don't fight back, the corruption you gain is multiplied due to that level difference.

So sure, the attacker may gain more easy to access harvests, but they also gain far more corruption.
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Currently the system isn't working properly.
    This is not a comment that can be made with any sense of reality right now.

Also, I think you are totally unaware of a key aspect of the system - kill count. Kill count increases the corruption you gain per kill

Lets say that I gain 10 corruption for killing an equal level player, and another 1 point of corruption per 10 kill count.

So, I go out and kill 10 people. The first 9 kills get me 10 corruption each, but the 10th one gets me 11, as I then have a kill count of 10.

So I now have 101 corruption, and a kill count of 10.

Lets say I now work off my corruption. I now have a corruption of 0, and a kill count of 10.

Lets say I now go out and kill another 10 players. The first 9 kills (11-19) give me 11 corruption each, and the 10th kill (my 20th over all), gives me 12.

This means I gained 111 corruption for those 10 kills, as opposed to the 101 previously.

Now imagine this when people have months worth of kills in their kill count.
  • Options
    insomniainsomnia Member
    edited May 2021

It still depends on how you look at it. I don't think he looks at it the wrong way. That is how math works
    Plus, the attacker will have the advantage. You might not be prepared. The attacker can have buffs up or what not. While you are buisy doing something else. They proberly attack you from behind. How much damage will they have done to you, before you can even attack back. So unless you are higher level, better geared, way better player. Your build is good at countering theirs etc. A combination of those, you will most likely lose the fight anyway. So they only reason to fight back, is to get punished less. You will still get a death penalty and lose stuff
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2021

Seriously? You think people will risk dropping gear by gaining corruption, gear that took thousands of mats and recipes to combine just so that can loot 200 animal bones from you?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

It's really that non-combatants have normal death penalty, combatants are rewarded with half the normal death penalty and Corrupted are penalized with increasingly more than the normal death penalty.
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    edited May 2021
    Seriously? You think people will risk dropping gear by gaining corruption, gear that took thousands of mats and recipes to combine just so that can loot 200 animal bones from you?
    That depends on how the system works and how much is looted tbh. If they'll save hours of gathering by killing someone and they think they can get away with it.. You're saying there's no chance? Seriously?

for players less inclined on PvP, it might feel less like a reward and more like a requirement to fight back just so they lose less on death. I'm not convinced that "they'll get corruption for killing me" will outweigh "I'll lose less if I hit them back"

I'm just trying to throw a potential problem out here so I can see how it works..
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    maouw wrote: »

corruption, corruption never changes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    If they'll save hours of gathering by killing someone and they think they can get away with it.. You're saying there's no chance? Seriously?
    Player inventory is fairly small, 1% of what a caravan can hold.

You can't hold hours of gathered materials on you at a time, so people can't take that much from you.
  • Options
    I kind of like the idea of buffing them as they gain corruption, like maybe a bonus damage done as well as increasing damage taken...

But then again, if your ganking people as some sort of sniper or rogue, you'll eventually be 1 shotting anyone.

That would be very difficult to balance.
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    If they'll save hours of gathering by killing someone and they think they can get away with it.. You're saying there's no chance? Seriously?

You can't hold hours of gathered materials on you at a time, so people can't take that much from you.

I mean unless you can show a source that says that inventories are small and that caravans aren't just massive then that is a really weak counter argument.
    You simply can't make that statement as we don't know how long it'll take to fill an inventory of gatherables.. But I do not expect to be able to fill my inventory in under an hour.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

I mean unless you can show a source that says that inventories are small and that caravans aren't just massive then that is a really weak counter argument.
    You simply can't make that statement as we don't know how long it'll take to fill an inventory of gatherables.. But I do not expect to be able to fill my inventory in under an hour.
    You should probably adjust that expectation.

And no, I'm not going to spend any time finding you sources. Go back and watch all the live streams from 2017 onwards like I did, you'll find it in there somewhere.
  • Options
    FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021

I think you can check all that information in the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Inventory

@Noanni is right. Mules can carry 10 times more items than a player. Caravans can carry 10 times more than mules. You can check it in the reference number 7 in the wiki, there's a link to a Livestream from July 2017 when they talked about it.
  • Options
    Ferni wrote: »
    @Noanni is right. Mules can carry 10 times more items than a player. Caravans can carry 10 times more than mules. You can check it in the reference number 7 in the wiki, there's a link to a Livestream from July 2017 when they talked about it.

Mules? Mining in Ultima Online Flashbacks!

• Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Still 10x X.. and X being unknown how long to obtain, quantity, volume, or weight.

They did stay on that stream that the figures of 1,10,100x were generalizations only.

Interested to see what those who are testing might find!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    akabear wrote: »
    Still 10x X.. and X being unknown how long to obtain, quantity, volume, or weight.

They did stay on that stream that the figures of 1,10,100x were generalizations only.

Interested to see what those who are testing might find!

While they are generalizations, a little bit of critical thinking goes a long way here, imo.

It is probably fair to say that the developers want a harvester/processor or processor/crafter relationship to have a caravan a week, or there abouts. This is based on good game design, and ensuring the caravan system remains an integral aspect of the game. If we could hold too much in a caravan, caravans would be too rare.

So, if we assume a caravan holds a weeks worth of harvesting, that means a players inventory holds 1% of a weeks harvesting.

If we were to assume that a players inventory can hold even an hour worth of harvests, that would mean a caravan can hold 100 hours worth of harvests.

Now, I am not interested in spending 100 hours harvesting, I honestly don't know many people that are.

20 hours to me would be the absolute top I would spend a week.

This means a player inventory would hold about 1% of 20 hours of harvesting, or 12 minutes.

Obviously, there is some generalizations and assumptions here, but that is all fairly sound.

If a player wishes to spend longer harvesting, they have the option of taking a mule which would then up that capacity to about 2 hours worth of harvesting, but also makes them an obvious target for someone to attack in PvP (a player with a mule heading towards a node just sounds like a good target).
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You will gain corruption for killing a mule but the haul could be worthwhile.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif