Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Both in game and in the art Elves are nearly indistinguishable from Humans

124»

Comments

• Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Maezriel wrote: »
    That's a perfectly valid opinion. Skin tones were just the idea I had at the time of starting the thread and I'm happy to hear why you don't like the idea...I just don't buy the "lore says" and "development time means" defenses this early into the game's cycle b/c this is the only time to really request the races get serious work done to help make them distinct.

And with this I can agree with. I dont buy what Dygz says either. Alpha is about making the systems and making them work. Then late alpha, before the beta, is about visuals...at least most of the time. Varies how its directed.
  • Options
    too much to read here but if elfs end up just being humans with pointy ears AOC is loosing a lot of potential.
    elfs are by majority tall slender and long eared. and i agree to that, imo if i had to do fast cahnges id basically stretch the human model to be taller than humans, add way longer ears and jewelry or tattoos as a racial trait to finish it off
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    The current Empyrean in the game are taller and thinner than the Humans. And also have pointed ears.
    But, it's Alpha...expect more options in the character creator for launch.
  • Options
    Yours truly has always felt that elves should be shorter than humans. Otherwise, heightened senses such as accuracy and longevity just make them *feel* over-powered, versus humans. Shorter with less muscle mass seems like a fair trade-off for the other advantages most elves have, across most fantasy genres.

To my perspective, a single human versus a single elf in most genres would provide the elf with enough advantages to typically guarantee victory. They should have some dis-advantages versus humans.

• Options
    MerekMerek Member
    edited May 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    Conrad wrote: »
    I disagree, we are at a stage where designs can and will change. Steven wants a good game for everyone, and considering how there have been MANY ppl saying that the elves look generic, I would not be surprised if the elf design got changed. They want the game to be good and look good? They have to listen to feedback. And rn, the concepts aren't bound in stone, so there's still a huge opportunity to change.

And no, Dygz, they will change it. You talk like you know everything, but no, that's not how games design works, especially I'm the alpha. If you're looking for feedback with everything, then you want it for a reason. Unless Intrepid is not truthful and they only want feedback to make us think they are listening, and so far that has not been the case so I doubt we won't see design changes.
    You can disagree, but that is how game design works. Alpha does not mean everything can change.
    Everything can change is the quick path to vaporware. That's how game design works.
    Dwarf design has always been slated to change because it is Alpha and what we currently see in Alpha are early iterations that will continue to be tweaked, rather than final versions. So, it has never been a matter of whether Dwarf designs will change, but how far they can change with the time allotted in the schedule and how far they are willing to delay release to make the changes.
    That is going to happen regardless of tester feedback from the Alpha.
    Bu,t yes, share the quote where Steven stated that because of tester feedback about the way Dwarves appear in the Alpha, they have decided to change the design of the Dwarves.
    I don't think you're going to find that quote because what Maggie told me last Friday is that Toast would compile the feedback in the Forums and share it with the artists, but there would be no dev comments about it anytime soon.

If this game doesn't do what it promised from the start by listening to the community, it will die. As it stands, a lot of people are increasingly concerned by the combat and they should be, it's horrid. I do personally agree with the idea that racial armor shouldn't be a thing, if an Elf puts on a Dwarves ridiculously bulky chest piece, it should remain the same, even though it will look odd. Everyone should remember, even though I loathe this, 'The game is in Alpha One!'.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Well, there is listening to the community and there is listening to the community.
    Only so much can actually be done. Some hype needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Remember this game was also supposed to launch in just 2 years. Notice that didn't happen either.

Changes will happen because changes were always planned. It's Alpha. These are not the final options.
    How much change can happen is dependent upon time.
    Again, that should not be controversial. That is just real life vs fairy tales.

"Anything can change because it's Alpha One" is really not a thing.
    Especially since we are in year four of post-Kickstarter development.
  • Options
    Considering their architecture is going to be completely different. I imagine the armor style when they wear stuff will also be dramatically different depending on race.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One problem nobody has mentioned explicitly is the silhouette of humans and elves are too similar - which (from my limited understanding of character design) is a major component of making things distinguishable.

A quick fix would be to change the proportions of the base model of elves, so their torsos are petite, their legs longer, and I would argue a longer neck is a good idea.

But changing the base model of an entire race is a big ask - hehehe
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    People have mentioned that.
    We are currently in Alpha One Preview.
    Expect tweaks to the base models over time.

But, it is common for Elves to be very similar in proportions to Humans.
    This true in Middle Earth, D&D, EQ/EQ2 and... Pathfinder.
    Elves can typically pass for Humans if they cover their pointed ears.

Currently, Empyrean are a bit thinner than Kaelar and Vaelune.
    I think it's Kaelar are a bit taller than Vaelune and Empyrean are a bit taller than both.
    And, of course, Empyrean have pointed ears.