Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What customization options would you need to make the Tulnar of your Dreams?

Comments

• Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Don't y'all tell the inquisition thread this...

I never considered that the Tulnar could be Illithid. I will main Tulnar if I can be an Illithid.

Yeah but that would assume the mindflayers are in control or pretending to be good for survival. I cannot imagine a good mindflayer, hell I cant even imagine a neutral one.

Sure they "Work well with others" but that's because they love to brainwash people into working for them!

They wouldn't be Mindflayers or have anything to do with their lore, they would only be inspired the visuals.
    We can take visual inspiration, but we can't take the lore, as that would lead to issues.
    So they could very well be quite friendly.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Mutants...lotsa mutants
  • Options
    Teyloune wrote: »

I never considered that the Tulnar could be Illithid. I will main Tulnar if I can be an Illithid.

Yeah but that would assume the mindflayers are in control or pretending to be good for survival. I cannot imagine a good mindflayer, hell I cant even imagine a neutral one.

Sure they "Work well with others" but that's because they love to brainwash people into working for them!

They wouldn't be Mindflayers or have anything to do with their lore, they would only be inspired the visuals.
    We can take visual inspiration, but we can't take the lore, as that would lead to issues.
    So they could very well be quite friendly.

Just because you can slap on friendly lore for a well known race does not mean it will resonate well with your target audience. Illithid are iconic and regardless of what you say your worlds lore is, most people will tie them with their roots in dnd as evil mind controlling creatures with a hive mind structure to their society bent on controlling and experimenting on the "lesser" races.
    Also they literally eat other sentient creatures brains. If you hand wave all of that away you dont have the race people wanted to play, you have a cheap knockoff.
    There is a reason why there are threads about dwarves not being "dwarfy" enough on this forum. Some things are too iconic to rip from a race for you to keep calling them that race.

5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Illithids are not of any of the groups of species Tulnar can be so highly doubt it. Nor should they actually have a place tbh. That would be an obvious rip off at this point lol.
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Given each race has to have armor altered to fit, I don’t think we’ll end up with a huge variety, sadly. In an ideal scenario though, I’d probably look for something like the Yuan-Ti from DnD, with plenty of scale pattern options. I know body types will be kind restricted, but for the love of god give me some pattern variety and not just five or six presets. I wanna pick the base color and the fur/scale pattern and the color of that pattern, within reasonable hues.

I’ll be honest I really don’t want neon fursona colors to be options at all

I wouldnt worry about any over the top colours or anything. This is not wow xD
    AntVictus wrote: »
    Conrad wrote: »
    Just want the ability to make a half dwarf/half orc. That's all, nothing greater on my end needed.

Thats not what the tulnar are for xP

Except...that kind of are. Granted the "race" as a whole is comprised of a lot of other races...it's more of a faction than a race really. Who's to say a dwarf didn't get snu snu'd by an orc.

I doubt there will be an option to decide whether the humanoid part is orc, dwarf, elf or whatever. They will probably simplify that part to not over complicate any coding or customization. Could be a bigger mess than it's worth it.

TO me depends on the DM...

"DM Vhaeyne" will bend the stars for his players if they have a plausible backstory to explain why their Illithid is no longer evil. Likewise, if they come at me with some nonsense I can't imagine I would not allow it.

In general, I agree with everything you said. It would take a hell of a backstory for me to allow a player to play a non-evil mindflayer.

Illithids in DnD, im pretty sure can never be good considering their culture, origin, biology, etc. They are an evil race that just tries to dominate every

I personally wouldn't mind adding them as some sort of a race, but they don't qualify as anything tulnar from what I know about both...
  • Options
    I've played a Tauren for 16 years.
    So.... a Tauren (Minotaur for those who don't play WoW)
  • Options
    Blackford wrote: »

🤔
    Isn't a tauren a furry tho? 😛
  • Options
    ViBunjaViBunja Member
    Blackford wrote: »

🤔
    Isn't a tauren a furry tho? 😛

That's not how furry works tho.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Snakelike 4 arms please
  • Options
    Snakelike 4 arms please
    I gotchu mang
    Yuan-tiAnathema.jpg
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    If they are adding boob-sliders for Tulnar, I don't want them to determine size but instead how many there are, between 0-12.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just want the ability to make a half dwarf/half orc. That's all, nothing greater on my end needed.

Elves have been confirmed already.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    underrealm_concept.png

Notice the pointy ears on this Tulnar artwork , dark elf like characters might be possible.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Notice the pointy ears on this Tulnar artwork , dark elf like characters might possible.

OMG, if Dark Elves are possible I would choose Tulnar too. I wouldn't even miss Py-Rai lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Illithids are not of any of the groups of species Tulnar can be so highly doubt it. Nor should they actually have a place tbh. That would be an obvious rip off at this point lol.

There are two things that could get me to play Tulnar. Tentacles and a head of snakes. I don't care if those things have been done before. Every option a Tulnar has will have been done before.
    Illithids in DnD, im pretty sure can never be good considering their culture, origin, biology, etc. They are an evil race that just tries to dominate every
    The DM has the final say. I am pretty confident that is the first thing you learn when learning to play D&D.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One

I doubt there will be an option to decide whether the humanoid part is orc, dwarf, elf or whatever. They will probably simplify that part to not over complicate any coding or customization. Could be a bigger mess than it's worth it.

while true, the thread is about what we would like to see. Not the actuality. SO half breeds, all day, everyday.
  • Options
    AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One

Also, totally posting in the thread now.
  • Options

There are two things that could get me to play Tulnar. Tentacles and a head of snakes. I don't care if those things have been done before. Every option a Tulnar has will have been done before.
    The DM has the final say. I am pretty confident that is the first thing you learn when learning to play D&D.

Yeah, bad DMs usually allow too much lore breaking stuff. Breaking the ruleset? Fine. Breaking the lore just for a player, when it makes no sense at all? Bad
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah, bad DMs usually allow too much lore breaking stuff. Breaking the ruleset? Fine. Breaking the lore just for a player, when it makes no sense at all? Bad

I get my knowledge about good DMing from a higher power...
    “It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule books upon you, if it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters given in the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons volumes, you are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a whole first, you campaign next and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons as it was meant to be.” - Gary Gygax

It's not breaking the lore if it's a custom campaign. I have not run anything by the book in years. All of my players know the MM too well for that shit. Since all of my friends have also spent time as DMs they do the same thing. At a certain point, you have to customize things or nothing is interesting.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    KebtizKebtiz Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    0RlWpF.jpg
    batnar
    Discord: keb2z
  • Options
    My character idea would not be of anything overly large or beastial, simply a humanoid Tulnar. Minimalistic features which identify me as a ‘tulnar’ as described in this thread by others.
  • Options
    ZeshioZeshio Member
    Given the lore, I think some sort of avian/reptilian race would make the most sense. I'd actually love to see a draconic/kobold style race. It'd be fun to see both large reptilians as well as shorter kobold style characters.

People might not agree, but if we have a reptilian race I'd like if they didn't have boob sliders on them but rather had characteristics that defined male/female creatures (fancy plumage, build, etc)
  • Options
    Zeshio wrote: »
    Given the lore, I think some sort of avian/reptilian race would make the most sense. I'd actually love to see a draconic/kobold style race. It'd be fun to see both large reptilians as well as shorter kobold style characters.

People might not agree, but if we have a reptilian race I'd like if they didn't have boob sliders on them but rather had characteristics that defined male/female creatures (fancy plumage, build, etc)

I dont think Avians are included in the mix. Seems to be only a mix of 4 atm so far so... unless Intrepid is just being vague
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Avians are not included, as per the Wiki.
  • Options
    GubiakGubiak Member
    Mostly leaning towards Charr/Gnoll aesthetic for a tank/fighter type character
    800px-%22Charr_Group%22_concept_art_1.jpg

And Reptilian/Lizardmen type for an assassin character.
    da41df2e9e1d0b8ee545de18a814ecba.jpg

I think the best way to do it would be to give a base sub-type ( like scales, fur or cat, lizard, dog features ) and build from there with multiple options for: Tails, claws, legs (whether you want more human - standing up or animallike - for hunched down pose), maws, type of fur, facial hair, braids etc.

If you're gonna give us a race of mutants then let us have fun playing around with character creation to make something cool : D !
  • Options
    Gubiak wrote: »
    Mostly leaning towards Charr/Gnoll aesthetic for a tank/fighter type character
    800px-%22Charr_Group%22_concept_art_1.jpg

And Reptilian/Lizardmen type for an assassin character.
    da41df2e9e1d0b8ee545de18a814ecba.jpg

I think the best way to do it would be to give a base sub-type ( like scales, fur or cat, lizard, dog features ) and build from there with multiple options for: Tails, claws, legs (whether you want more human - standing up or animallike - for hunched down pose), maws, type of fur, facial hair, braids etc.

If you're gonna give us a race of mutants then let us have fun playing around with character creation to make something cool : D !

I believe it's meant to be sliders. But I guess there will probably be some facial and body features we can pick
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    mrgfrh2c9e59.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Whatever monstrosity the devs will come up with, I am looking forward to purging the land of vile creatures. Help live up to their name "the forgotten"
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I wonder if you can have Dark Elves whether Blood Elves will also be possible.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Neurath wrote: »
    I wonder if you can have Dark Elves whether Blood Elves will also be possible.

You might be able to do dark elf like Tulnar , I posted a artwork of a Tulnar in this thread seems to suggest that.