AOC content already no longer obtainable

The fact that before the game even has launched there is already content that is no longer obtainable is mind boggling. One of the biggest reasons wow classic became popular was because people wanted a way to do content that was removed with cata. The fact that your game hasn’t even come out yet and you’ve already made certain cosmetic sets and mounts no longer obtainable is such a massive stain on this game. Any completionist who had the slightest interest in this game is now turned off. Someone needs to seriously ask Sharif what on Earth he is thinking by doing this. It is NEVER okay to remove content from a game thus depriving any future players of a complete experience. I suggest these cosmetics are added back into the game.

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2021
    Menalak wrote: »
    The fact that before the game even has launched there is already content that is no longer obtainable is mind boggling. One of the biggest reasons wow classic became popular was because people wanted a way to do content that was removed with cata. The fact that your game hasn’t even come out yet and you’ve already made certain cosmetic sets and mounts no longer obtainable is such a massive stain on this game. Any completionist who had the slightest interest in this game is now turned off. Someone needs to seriously ask Sharif what on Earth he is thinking by doing this. It is NEVER okay to remove content from a game thus depriving any future players of a complete experience. I suggest these cosmetics are added back into the game.

Given the design of the game, I don't think it is intended as an experience for completionists.

There is content that may possibly never be unlocked by anyone, content that may be unlocked once on a server for a month and never again.

There might be actual usable gear that for all practical purposes only one or two people can have... ever, on a particular server.

I can't claim to know what the Creative Director is thinking, but I think we can make some guesses about what he is not thinking.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Nope. Early bird gets the worm. There will be more cosmetics you can get now that you're part of the game.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Those cosmetics are things the game world npcs will be wearing in certain areas, and you can donate to the game early on to support them to gain access to some of those cosmetics. This has nothing to do with completionism, it is showing support for the game.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics

We offer cosmetics for players who wish to support the project early. The exclusive nature of the limited availability is something I think collectors value. If you buy cosmetics as an MMO player, I know I enjoyed if the cosmetic is rare and not every girl at the party is wearing the same dress. In addition, these cosmetics are used to populate the world through NPC variants and color/texture changes so their offering aligns with our production schedule. The good thing about these packs is they contain no P2W advantages and there is no box cost, so from a mechanics standpoint you do not need to buy them to excel in the game on launch. And also, there are comparable and subjectively more grand cosmetics achievable in game as well.[10] – Steven Sharif
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics

We offer cosmetics for players who wish to support the project early. The exclusive nature of the limited availability is something I think collectors value. If you buy cosmetics as an MMO player, I know I enjoyed if the cosmetic is rare and not every girl at the party is wearing the same dress. In addition, these cosmetics are used to populate the world through NPC variants and color/texture changes so their offering aligns with our production schedule. The good thing about these packs is they contain no P2W advantages and there is no box cost, so from a mechanics standpoint you do not need to buy them to excel in the game on launch. And also, there are comparable and subjectively more grand cosmetics achievable in game as well.[10] – Steven Sharif

Also, to derail, I love this so much. So many games where cosmetics are designed just for players, but then the NPCs almost by definition have to look shoddy, and the moment they don't, the Cosmetic is available to everyone.

The idea of 'selling cosmetic items matching/palette swapping special characters or the uniforms of rare organizations' is just so perfectly aligned with a game like Ashes' concepts.

I do feel sorry for people who would definitely have wanted to be part of whatever organization or 'family' or 'type' that wears some of these ingame, but 'completionist' is probably not a great reason to upend this particular greatness.

• KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You will be able to find the same cosmetics in game just different coloration (I believe).

Either way, your argument is silly. Wow did some things right. They also did a whole lot more things wrong and thus both current and classic wow are just shit games. Sit in town and experience all content, no need to speak to other people. No need for talent, the game plays itself haha.

If your idea of a "complete experience" is to own ALL cosmetics regardless of cost, something is wrong. Screw the content, I want all those skins that I can only wear one of at a time¿

I'm personally looking forward to in game cosmetics the most. Most of the cosmetics for sale have been really ugly (imo don't hate me).
    Khronus wrote: »
    You will be able to find the same cosmetics in game just different coloration (I believe).

Either way, your argument is silly. Wow did some things right. They also did a whole lot more things wrong and thus both current and classic wow are just shit games. Sit in town and experience all content, no need to speak to other people. No need for talent, the game plays itself haha.

If your idea of a "complete experience" is to own ALL cosmetics regardless of cost, something is wrong. Screw the content, I want all those skins that I can only wear one of at a time¿

I'm personally looking forward to in game cosmetics the most. Most of the cosmetics for sale have been really ugly (imo don't hate me).

I think they're actually 'supposed to be'. I may have said it somewhere else, but the great thing about most of the cosmetics is that they are really specific to areas or very strong concepts. None of them are 'things you'd just wear because they look the most badass across most aesthetics'. They are badass 'in context'.

Now if one wants to make this argument about something, it should almost certainly be the exclusive mounts, so I can see a path to this discussion in which we pivot to the fact that not everyone can ride that Fire Fox once the prelaunch period ends.

• I only agree with OP because the first 2-3 cosmetic sets available were ridiculously good, now we've hit this low-quality period where the last handful have been abhorrent. Other than the fact I want a few of the early sets, stop thinking about WoW when looking at Ashes, it'll only disappoint you. This is a SANDBOX first MMO, keep that in mind.
  • CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Merek wrote: »
    I only agree with OP because the first 2-3 cosmetic sets available were ridiculously good, now we've hit this low-quality period where the last handful have been abhorrent.

That’s because they’re being churned out monthly, in addition to who-knows-how-many sets are being made for the game that you’ll earn rather than purchase. You would think with how many are coming out, we might get some that look different than the main two “dread knight” and “noble plate armor” styles. Seriously, look at the last several, they’re different but yet much of the same. I’d like to see some more sets where the male and female are very different instead of the female set just being a slimmer version. Show some skin Intrepid, my goodness I’m not asking for bikini armor, that’s tacky, but I am asking for some gosh darn feminine and slightly revealing stuff. /rant
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    You are brave
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2021
    "Content" lol. It's a couple of pictures. How long do you think it'll take to play this content?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    "Content" lol. It's a couple of pictures. How long do you think it'll take to play this content?!

lol
  • I have no issues with it, but alas I'm not a shower. I mean, yeah, I won't be able to get them, ever. But reality is that majority don't care about 100% the game, and I'm happy it can't be done.
    Scarcity increases value, therefore those who dished out the Gs early should be compensated.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would have been more inclined to defend how the cosmetics are limited time if they weren't monthly only based on phase. I find the monthly FOMO for every pack extremely greedy, whether people like that or not. It is a red flag we have this sort of thing super early on and kind of doesn't bode well. If it was based on test phases (a1, a2 etc) then it would make far more sense and far less greedy. But this monthly thing smells a lot like the Activision and ea stuff lol
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    That's definitely a valid skeptical perspective.

My personal take is it is monthly because it's an easy way to make assets and see how people respond to various themes and styles to better direct their asset design. I think they could definitely do better on the fomo bit though.
    Node coffers: Single Payer Capitalism in action
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you're the kind of play that NEEDS to obtain everything in a game, this isn't the game for you honestly.

You're going to have to make choices and live with them, and that's going to mean missing out.

If you pray to the FOMO Gods, you don't need to be at the Altar of Ashes of Creation, it's going to bring you nothing but salt and rage.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love these threads.

They always make me imagine that the OP wants the option to download their character's save and put it on a flash drive to be buried with when they die. With text on their tombstone that reads, "Here lies the guy who got every mount in the game...".

Ironically, I have met a ton of "completionists" and not one of them has been a "scarab lord" or had any seasonal PvP mounts. Most "completionists" I have met never have anything AOTC. They just want for the next xpact to solo farm raid mounts. Which is not something I see as being rewarding. They always point out how rewarding they want the game to be.

These guys also all seem to miss the point that content is not being taken out of the game and put in the shop. Content is being made for the shop so that sales from the shop can fund more content for the game.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • @Vhaeyne - well said. FOMO is just something I don’t really get, or the denial that first come first serve is a law of nature…
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Menalak wrote: »
    I suggest these cosmetics are added back into the game.

I agree.
    There are cosmetics in previous months that I really like but I missed out, and I can't buy them anymore.
    On the other hand, I don't like the current and last month cosmetics very much and that's a big reason why I still didn't buy the game.
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Content is being made for the shop so that sales from the shop can fund more content for the game.

Intrepid is missing out on a lot of sales because of this. I would gladly spend money for previous packs if I could. Pretty sure it's the same for many other people.

Monkey Business (EU) is RECRUITING
    Daggial wrote: »
    Intrepid is missing out on a lot of sales because of this. I would gladly spend money for previous packs if I could. Pretty sure it's the same for many other people.

You would gladly devalue other people's past support rewards and Intrepid's integrity.

You are asking Intrepid to break a long-standing promise to its fans.

When players find out that Intrepid word is not worth shit. They will be missing out on "a lot of" sales.
    TVMenSP.png
  • DaggialDaggial Member
    edited August 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

You would gladly devalue other people's past support rewards and Intrepid's integrity.

You are asking Intrepid to break a long-standing promise to its fans.

When players find out that Intrepid word is not worth shit. They will be missing out on "a lot of" sales.

ok
    My only actual compromise desire relative to their fomo design is they let players who buy packs have a guarantee they can buy any (or even just an explicitly defined category) of items in later pack content with their embers on release. Currently their design is ambiguous relative to what you will be later able to buy and have no way to deduct embers immediately (which is understandable given its alpha and payment systems are beta material.) The lack of clarity of what you can buy later as a supporter is my main issue.
  • if i buy the current version of a package, will i be able to swap it with a future one?
    not talking about the type of package, but the cosmetics in it
    That would distort their metrics and be extra work. If you don't want the current cosmetics then wait.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    if i buy the current version of a package, will i be able to swap it with a future one?
    not talking about the type of package, but the cosmetics in it

If you buy the current pack and one comes out later that you like the cosmetics of, you can purchase the individual items that you like, but only the item types that were in the pack you bought.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Intrepid just made bad decisions in case of cosmetics. They simply should have not made it monthly. Tbh, I doubt people would be mad if they apologised for making cosmetics phase wide availability due to popular demand.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Conrad wrote: »
    Intrepid just made bad decisions in case of cosmetics. They simply should have not made it monthly. Tbh, I doubt people would be mad if they apologised for making cosmetics phase wide availability due to popular demand.

yeah, people would.

It isn't about the cosmetics, it is about that meaning Intrepid are just another in a long line of MMO developers/publishers whom can not be trusted when they say something - and in this case it would happen even before they have a product out.

I mean, even you should be disappointed in Intrepid if they go back on their word, regardless of whether that means you can buy something you want or not.
    Conrad wrote: »
    I doubt people would be mad if they apologised for making cosmetics phase wide availability due to popular demand.

A company keeping a promise going for years to raise a massive amount of money only to later change the deal in a way that ruins the value of the original promise for everyone who bought into it, and they get MORE money for doing so...

A simple apology makes that okay for you?

TVMenSP.png
  • KionashiKionashi Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't even care for getting super nice cosmetics via achievements, I just want to be able to buy them when when the game releases....

I mean...having a few exclusive skins to reward people who bought in early is fine... but how many skins are we going to make exclusive?...there are already tons of skins that are beyond our reach and the game is still far from release... we will see 24 more sets going exclusive before the game is even out?

also my main issue is how fast are we burning popular themes each month....by example the frost armor...that's a cool looking armor for people who want to live in icy areas, but now is gone forever...we will ever get another frozen armor? And the cool giant Witch hat... I loved the design and that's a stable in wizzard fashion...but again is gone forever...since material swaps aren't valid that means we wont ever get to buy a Wizzard hat? what about that cool skeleton mask Steven showcased in an early video?...we will ever be able to buy an skeleton mask to fashion our necromancer?

I mean give early backers exclusive colors, or a special discount in those items....but don't lock cool concepts away for people who want to invest in the game closer to release...
  • Kionashi wrote: »
    but don't lock cool concepts away for people who want to invest in the game closer to release...

What do you mean by 'concepts'?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png