Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

$15 per month

Comments

• I would pay $30 a month to get rid of cosmetic cash shop
  • It's never going to go above $15. I wouldn't stress yourself thinking about.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If I'm gonna have to pay more than 10 quid, which is the price more most of not all monthly subs then I'm going to be pissed.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's never going to go above $15. I wouldn't stress yourself thinking about.

"Never" is a strong word for this topic. A lot can change economically between now, release and the life of the game.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    I think $180 a year is plenty enough for now.
  • Ashes doesn't exist in a vacuum, but which games would you compare it with when deciding whether the sub cost is value for money?

If the sub cost for Ashes is the same as other contemporaries then we can clearly look at the game experiences on offer for £15/month and decide which we like the best - this looks like it would put Ashes well ahead IMHO and would probably draw a large influx of players.
    This is the scenario that many are expecting, I believe.

If the decision later became "$more per month" to play a great game or "$less per month" to play a poor alternative then we begin to deal with the slightly uncomfortable issue of 'what is value for money?'.

Price expectation plays a part.
    Why $15/month? because other games charge that amount for (what we hope will be) inferior games.
    There are all sorts of entertainment expenses that cost more - netflix premium, mobile phone contracts, gym membership, fast food outlets, coffee shops, etc.
    If we paid $30/month for something that we enjoy do we consider ourselves mad for spending "so much"?
    My answer: Only if we have been mentally conditioned with a price expectation.

I'm hoping that Ashes remains at the $15 rate for as long as possible, with it's economy of scale costs being reduced by high sub numbers. I want Steven to do well out of Ashes to reward him for putting his money where his heart is; a valuable lesson for other studios, which could actually improve how the gaming industry works long term.

There was also mention of discounted 12 month subs, which would help those able to commit upfront and stabilize Intrepid's income.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • McMackMuck wrote: »
    If the decision later became "$more per month" to play a great game or "$less per month" to play a poor alternative then we begin to deal with the slightly uncomfortable issue of 'what is value for money?'.

Well, we've been told that the game is fully financed to its completion by Steven's financial input, so the quality of the game shouldn't be affected by the sub fees, as it'll already be completed by that point. Expansions and updates, possibly, but they won't be enough to make a great game a poor alternative.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »
    McMackMuck wrote: »

Well, we've been told that the game is fully financed to its completion by Steven's financial input, so the quality of the game shouldn't be affected by the sub fees, as it'll already be completed by that point. Expansions and updates, possibly, but they won't be enough to make a great game a poor alternative.

Bug fixing, design/balance issues and data analysis to identify those issues, continued content building, live gms, marketing to ensure the population is as big as possible to make certain game mechanics actually work long term, outreach and accessibility development, server costs, salaries to retain high quality staff that can easily resolve the above challenges... It's not a small machine to feed Davey Wavey. The quality of the game is absolutely effected long term without those things and if you can't pay for them long term you are going to start having problems retaining the population, which means less subs, which means less money to address issues, which creates a feedback loop.

This is a reason I think they would be better served by being headquartered in a different state or city that share Steven's values and desires for staff amenities but has less cost of living issues. But they already moved once so I doubt that can happen any time in the near future.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • JustVine wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »

Bug fixing, design/balance issues and data analysis to identify those issues, continued content building, live gms, marketing to ensure the population is as big as possible to make certain game mechanics actually work long term, outreach and accessibility development, server costs, salaries to retain high quality staff that can easily resolve the above challenges... It's not a small machine to feed Davey Wavey. The quality of the game is absolutely effected long term without those things and if you can't pay for them long term you are going to start having problems retaining the population, which means less subs, which means less money to address issues, which creates a feedback loop.

This is a reason I think they would be better served by being headquartered in a different state or city that share Steven's values and desires for staff amenities but has less cost of living issues. But they already moved once so I doubt that can happen any time in the near future.

Yeah, I work in software. I'm well aware of the procedures involved. The point still stands: Since the game is already fully financed, the game on release being great or poor won't be affected by the subs that haven't yet even started to be paid. The value of the sub won't affect the game's release.

And if, as you say, you're trying to retain your players, you're not going to want to overprice it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • DeeBeeDeeBee Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I would be willing to go up to 20 per month IF i feel it's worth my money and i thoroughy i enjoy the content , however i do understand that not everyone is willing or able to pay that amount monthly and would not think it's a wise move to make on intrepids part.
    giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fnhcrgri7scqf53yhgic6kfzhvnk9oronhq7tg7n2&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • I would gladly pay 20€ a month. When this comes out it's the only thing im gonna play, it will be almost my only entertainment, most people eats out once a week and there goes 30-40€. For a quality game, that brings everything we want from an MMO, the epicness, adventure and thousands of gameplay hours, yes, ofcourse I pay 20 a month. Im a normal person with a normal job, but I assure you we waste more money on stupid things than on something you will really enjoy and use everyday.
  • McShave wrote: »
    I would pay $30 a month to get rid of cosmetic cash shop

YES.
  • I don't know the answer to the question, but I have become accustomed to 12-15 euro per month. A higher price would result in expecting more enjoyment from the game, but I doubt AoC will be successful in the long run when they go much higher then that. And I want AoC to be successful.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ravel wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to the question, but I have become accustomed to 12-15 euro per month. A higher price would result in expecting more enjoyment from the game, but I doubt AoC will be successful in the long run when they go much higher then that. And I want AoC to be successful.

I don't really see how this would be the case.

$15 a month is 50 cents a day.
    $20 a month is 66 cents a day.

I don't know if I could appreciably notice an additional 16 cents worth of enjoyment.
  • Noaani wrote: »

I don't really see how this would be the case.

$15 a month is 50 cents a day.
    $20 a month is 66 cents a day.

I don't know if I could appreciably notice an additional 16 cents worth of enjoyment.

It is all subjective. For some $180 sound like a lot to pay for a game per year, and $240 sounds even more impressive. Telling that that is only a difference of 16 cents per day or only 0.01 cent per minute might sway someone but most people look at the price they paid for another online game and do not expect that much more without reasons to convince themselves to pay up. The reasoning that works for you, might not work for someone else.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • 15$ USD/m is more than reasonable to ask, no box price but we do have a cash shop. If you are going to implement higher sub costs than instead of 'Ember Points' or 'Cash Shop Coins' put a price tag on those items instead of being scummy about buying currency to buy something in game. We all know why companies do it, and I am not going to let ashes get away with what I've complained about for years.

This is why I stopped playing Blizzard-Acitivsions WoW in advance to blitz and Phone let alone the recent debacle.

If they implement more rewards for a higher tier of Sub, I'll be fine with them having the option of a 15$ USD/m and a 20$+ USD/m model for people that want to give a little more.

I am however not ok with them gutting the player base on a community driven game that needs a healthy population. If no one else has noticed we are going into a recession, I'm fine and have money stored in assets, but I doubt many people will be able to get through this and pay a sub once its all over.
  • BotBot Member
    edited October 2021
    I think that every adult in developed countries can affort these things.
    It is a matter of putting your priorities in order.

I dont know how it will be for developing countries. However, if people can afford internet and a pc that can run such games, then they can pay a subscription as well.

But ppl will always complain.

This is poor logic. People do other things for fun and it's not only employed adults that will play this game. That's $120 for 6 months of playing this game vs $90. The difference adds up fast.
    Ravel wrote: »
    15$ USD/m is more than reasonable to ask, no box price but we do have a cash shop. If you are going to implement higher sub costs than instead of 'Ember Points' or 'Cash Shop Coins' put a price tag on those items instead of being scummy about buying currency to buy something in game. We all know why companies do it, and I am not going to let ashes get away with what I've complained about for years.
    I agree that companies that add in a coin, then don't allow people to buy the exact amount of that coin that they need for an item is scum behavior.

However, there are other reasons to add in a coin - to use as an add in to packs. The packs on the store now are an example of this.

If Intrepid allow players to purchase the exact number of embers they need to buy an item they want, rather than an amount in a pack that is pre-determined, then I have no issues at all.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2021
    bot wrote: »

I dont know how it will be for developing countries. However, if people can afford internet and a pc that can run such games, then they can pay a subscription as well.

This is poor logic. People do other things for fun and it's not only employed adults that will play this game. That's $120 for 6 months of playing this game vs $90. The difference adds up fast.

Poor logic?
    Are we talking about people who own internet and expensive PCs with monitors controls and what not, and your reasoning is "no.. we need to look deeper into this $5 extra a month.."

Not to mention that most people will definately waste money on at least one cosmetic, but ye.. let's keep talking about the five dollars...
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    bot wrote: »

Poor logic?
    Are we talking about people who own internet and expensive PCs with monitors controls and what not, and your reasoning is "no.. we need to look deeper into this $5 extra a month.."

Not to mention that most people will definately waste money on at least one cosmetic, but ye.. let's keep talking about the five dollars...

Honestly and bluntly, I don't give a shit about your opinion, nor do I care about whether others could afford a higher price. This game should not demand a higher sub fee than the competitors. I could even bet that if the price was higher, people would not change games. There is a reason all mmos that still live have a specific sub fee (for me 10 GBP). WOW made the baseline and no one goes above it. Go above it and regardless of how good the game is, people will be hesitant to buy it. What YOU think doesn't matter at all.
    Conrad wrote: »
    WOW made the baseline and no one goes above it.
    This is blatantly incorrect.

MMO's were $15 a month for several years before WoW was released.

WoW may have been what set YOUR baseline, but all that proves is how objective this whole thing is, which in turn suggests that there is no actual reason a better game couldn't charge more.
    Struggling to understand why people are so set on the price being fixed at 15$ for all eternity.

Especially when the buying power of $15 is not set for all eternity.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Struggling to understand why people are so set on the price being fixed at 15$ for all eternity.

Because times are a lot harder my friend money doesn't go as far and many with families have to to cut back on luxuries .
    £10 might not sound a lot but it's a weeks worth of electricity or gas or heaven forbid a treat for the kids to enjoy, and yes these are the decisions a lot of people have to make before they even think about subscribing each month for them selves on a game.
    JONTA wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Because times are a lot harder my friend money doesn't go as far and many with families have to to cut back on luxuries .
    £10 might not sound a lot but it's a weeks worth of electricity or gas or heaven forbid a treat for the kids to enjoy, and yes these are the decisions a lot of people have to make before they even think about subscribing each month for them selves on a game.

The UK scoring an own-goal on it's economy for a generation is no real reason why a company from the other side of the world shouldn't charge a fair amount for it's product.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

The UK scoring an own-goal on it's economy for a generation is no real reason why a company from the other side of the world shouldn't charge a fair amount for it's product.

M8 the USA is in a worse state I know as I have friends there so this is not just a UK problem it's world wide open your eyes..

What is a fair amount to you may seem to much to others ..
    edited October 2021

M8 the USA is in a worse state I know as I have friends there so this is not just a UK problem it's world wide open your eyes..

What are you talking about? New games are still 60$ a box for a stand-alone game or 15$ a month for a live service... I have more buying power for video games than I have ever had in my life, as those costs for games have remained fixed at a very low rate.

Cyberpunk 2077 was 60$ at the start of the year when I bought it new day one. Right now, it is 24-30$ on Amazon new, depending on what system you want it for.

Imagine if a 2021 Tesla car was 60k new, but a 2020 Tesla car was 24-30k new? That is a massive value loss that no one in their right mind would let happen. Yet for some reason the video game industry just lets this happen year after year.

The video game industry is getting screwed, and you ask for more?
    TVMenSP.png
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2021
    The trend is an upward trend. PS5 Games cost £70 these days, I remember when Playstation games were £30. I often pay sub fees for MMOs in yearly rounds (I hope Ashes offers a year's sub when its live). I'm not really attached to a $15 sub fee but I would also be wary of a higher rate before the game launches.

Edit: If the sub fee increases then our packages/free sub time will be worth more. However, there are players who purchased a lifetime sub and I imagine they would be happier if they dodged higher prices than lower prices.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited October 2021
    EDym4eg.png

The world has a short term issue.

Most of the world knows it is a short term issue.

By the time the game is ready for release, the bulk of the worlds economy will be back to what it was 18 months ago.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

What are you talking about? New games are still 60$ a box for a stand-alone game or 15$ a month for a live service... I have more buying power for video games than I have ever had in my life, as those costs for games have remained fixed at a very low rate.

Cyberpunk 2077 was 60$ at the start of the year when I bought it new day one. Right now, it is 24-30$ on Amazon new, depending on what system you want it for.

Imagine if a 2021 Tesla car was 60k new, but a 2020 Tesla car was 24-30k new? That is a massive value loss that no one in their right mind would let happen. Yet for some reason the video game industry just lets this happen year after year.

The video game industry is getting screwed, and you ask for more?

Oh god can of worms £50 for a one off is not £50 then a £10 every month on top of that to play the game.

Yes the car analogy some people will still have no option than to go buy go a cheaper second hand car . Why ???? Because that 24/30k is out of there price range.

You asking me to feel sry for the video game industry just because they only going to make a few million in profit instead of tens of millions .

Simple fact that extra couple of dollars, Pounds, which may not seem a lot to you may be the deciding factor to others. You need numbers to make this game work and succeed and if by lowering your profit a bit you get those numbers surely it's better than going in above the price point of the completion..