Greetings, glorious testers!

Check out Alpha Two Announcements here to see the latest news on Alpha Two.
Check out general Announcements here to see the latest news on Ashes of Creation & Intrepid Studios.

To get the quickest updates regarding Alpha Two, connect your Discord and Intrepid accounts here.

Firearm types?

RookkRookk Member, Alpha Two
I have seen in promotional clips and stuff characters seemingly using rifles which makes me curious on what types of guns that we may end up seeing as if its just rifles that would still both be fun and more awesome than what any other mmo has done so far with many refusing to add guns purely for the principle of it like eso for example where despite having craftsman skilled enough to work on the fucking damn near magical dwemer machinery and the necessary blackpowder, for some reason they refuse to EVER add guns and same if not worse to a game like bdo where despite LITERALLY HAVING HUNTING RIFLES they refuse to add a gunner class or even begin to think of making rifles for actual combat for some idiotic reason.

Comments

• TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    There won't be any guns in Ashes. You either saw Crossbows or Potion Launchers.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    We aren't sure that potion launchers will even be in Ashes of Creation. They were in the Apocalypse test, but aren't confirmed for the real game.

We do know there will be no "firearms". Multiple developers have stated that, including Steven himself. No black powder weapons, no traditional guns or cannons. There may be magical equivalents (like the potion launchers, maybe others) but not firearms as we have in the real world (modern or historical).

Hhak63P.png
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Boomsticks.
  • MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    I am fairly sure, a majority of the community dont want firearms, nor that stupid potion launcher from apocalypse
  • TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member, Alpha Two
    Marzzo wrote: »
    I am fairly sure, a majority of the community dont want firearms, nor that stupid potion launcher from apocalypse

I wouldn't mind large ones with limited roles in sieges, siege defenses and ship-to-ship combat. The more time that goes on, the less-and-less I'd like to see them have any role in PvE - even with big cooldowns.

• RookkRookk Member, Alpha Two
    aww man really? i mean i have literally 0 idea why EVERYONE seems to hate the idea of like a bolt action rifle or hell a musket or blunderbuss of flintlock weapons at least in 'fantasy' as literally they would just be another flavor of weapon to use and literally in basically any world it makes less than 0 sense for them not to exist and hell in high fantasy games it actually makes MORE sense actual world and immersion-wise for them to exist as in a world with monsters, bandits, dragons, and rampaging hordes of people that seem damn near unkillable wouldnt you think the more common type people would make guns especially since irl black powder at least has existed since like the 600's and guns came shortly after that so really its not a problem of people figuring out how to make them and nor is it a problem of immersion-wise them making no sense to even be used (just ignore bows are still widely used despite magic existing) with really its just for some reaon people refuse to see that 'guns' doesnt have to mean a fuckin semi automatic glock or fully auto m4 but simplely just flintlocks and hell if crossbows are added than you basically already have the same look and feel as guns but just instead it fires bolts. really i hope the devs decide to actually add guns at some point.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two

I am actually on the fence. It can be done well. As much as I would like a low-fantasy, low-tech setting. It always ends up making sense that people would figure out how to use magic to launch projectiles.

As long as the setting is not cavemen. I think it's reasonably expected that people are going to figure out some form of guns. Especially with magic.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I am actually on the fence. It can be done well. As much as I would like a low-fantasy, low-tech setting. It always ends up making sense that people would figure out how to use magic to launch projectiles.

As long as the setting is not cavemen. I think it's reasonably expected that people are going to figure out some form of guns. Especially with magic.

IKR!!! like i mostly want guns cause i think even in single shot flintlock styles they could make for fun snipers or insane burst damage and a intresting play style but i also still want them partially cause im a world freak who loves a world that is built in such a way that there arent ever contradictions and that everything has a explaination and reaches a reasonable conclusion based on what has been established and set up and the possibility of guns for example is something that as history has shown is basically a guaranteed arrival no matter what people try so i say put guns in :D
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Wikipedia says blackpowder first used in 904 for medical purposes. Unless someone has different information.
    Verra may not have a chemical compound equivalent capable of making such things. Kind of like Sanctus doesn't have magic.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    the chinese used it in fireworks
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Yep
    My old ass phone won't link properly or I would have linked the page for you. :(
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    I think any setting that does not have guns exists in a state where people are too advanced to need them(Dune kinda) or not advanced enough to have them yet(lotr/cavemen).
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member, Alpha Two
    Vvess wrote: »
    aww man really? i mean i have literally 0 idea why EVERYONE seems to hate the idea of like a bolt action rifle or hell a musket or blunderbuss of flintlock weapons

Because it's High Fantasy. Think Medieval-style weaponry along with magic. No guns! You want guns, go back to World Of Borecraft!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • edited December 2021
    They have a trebuchet you can drive and it's just wood beams... lol. Nothing magical about it visually.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    really i hope the devs decide to actually add guns at some point.
    "Again we're trying to bring the magic into combat, so we're trying to stay away from things like, you know, straightforward guns and black powder and explosions." - Jeffrey Bard

"I previously said there was not going to be gunpowder in Ashes. What there will be is something very similar to gunpowder but has a more arcane nature to it. It's not necessarily going to be explainable through the conventional means of chemistry, metallurgy, and physics and what not, but rather the Essence is the core component of many types of magic, one of which is obviously going to be evocation type magic; and that evocation can have some explosive tendencies." - Steven Sharif

"As we said in the past, were not really about that black powder life. Instead it's really going to be focused on the arcane arts: The elements; the use of radiance and darkness; and then those being employed in larger weaponry, such as the type of siege weaponry between ship battles as well as those and sieges." - Steven Sharif

Sorry buddy, it's not happening.

Hhak63P.png
  • CROW3CROW3 Member, Alpha Two
    I'm ok having one more place in this world without guns in it.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Potion launchers are the firearm-y type weapons in Ashes which seems to be a point of negativity in a part of the community. I personally like the concept but would prefer to see them with less firearm / rifle style design and more slingshot / crossbow style setups. I really want to see what they can do with the concept since it could be a unique selling point for weapon types in Ashes. I would be really happy with a ranged support weapon that could heal, damage, or buff depending on ammunition.
    daveywavey wrote: »
    aww man really? i mean i have literally 0 idea why EVERYONE seems to hate the idea of like a bolt action rifle or hell a musket or blunderbuss of flintlock weapons

Because it's High Fantasy. Think Medieval-style weaponry along with magic. No guns! You want guns, go back to World Of Borecraft!

newsflahs, there are reports of firearm type weapons being used all the way back in the mid 1300's sooooo when you say 'medieval-style weapons' that does include guns....
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I think any setting that does not have guns exists in a state where people are too advanced to need them(Dune kinda) or not advanced enough to have them yet(lotr/cavemen).

beyond that unless your telling me that ANYONE in the AoC world can use magic and all forms of weaponry to the same level as the best in their world there is MORE THAN ENOUGH REASON FOR GUNS..... because if you have the threat of some crazy batshit wizard blasting you in the fuckin gut with a fireball and your not skills with a bow or sword or any type of weapon or form of combat than your literally screwed so it makes more than enough sense that guns would become a thing ESPECIALLY so town guards have a easier time being trained and dealing with all the crazy stuff in the world cus while a single mage CAN if trained right blast away any monster that they come across just how many people do you expect like that to actually exist and more than that are you telling me that all town guards can use that advanced as shit magic?
    all in all im only seeing poor reasons and purely subjective reasons being spewed here that for whatever reason you all HATE the idea of guns in an mmo like this SOOO fuckin much that you refuse to even entertain the idea. may as well throw out swords and bows too cause We HaVe MaGiC!!!! yea maybe next time rather than try to present reasons for your opinion that will be shown in less than a damn second to be wrong just accept you are purely acting on emotion and say it cause it saves so much damn time of pure arguing and lets us get to actual discussion of me explaining why i think guns would be fun and like a homosexual man having the fun times with another homosexual man doesnt hurt those super conservitive church goers, if you saw the occasional person walk around with a gun than especially if crossbows get added to the game than literally in what way does it detract from your experence? especially if crossbows shots come out with like a semi like orangish hue than literally t he only difference between them and guns is purely the athestics of the damn model... like seriously wands are just magic pistols for fucks sakes...
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    just accept you are purely acting on emotion
    You realize that this is all you are doing, right?

You want guns, simply because you want them.

We don't, simply because we don't.

If you are going to dismiss emotional reasons as being non-valid, you must dismiss your own emotional reasons as being non-valid as well.
  • daveywavey wrote: »

Uhhh... but Dave, guns are medieval weapons.

186200.png

bellifortis-.jpg

You've had guns in Europe since the early 1300's.

The Middle Ages ended in the late 15th century.

Classical Knights in shining armour and guns co-existed. They were just as medieval as knights.
  • I can see a lot of people in the community have a problem with firearms in AOC.

I'm the complete opposite.

I don't think naval combat could ever reach its potential without cannons and I think the game in general would be better with more diversity of weapons, including the rather unique medieval-style guns.

I think they could fit their own ''very slow attack rate for large damage, usually effective only in short range''.

I also think cannons would be cool in sieges and such.

Just my take on it.
    Ironhope wrote: »
    I can see a lot of people in the community have a problem with firearms in AOC.

I'm the complete opposite.

I don't think naval combat could ever reach its potential without cannons and I think the game in general would be better with more diversity of weapons, including the rather unique medieval-style guns.

I think they could fit their own ''very slow attack rate for large damage, usually effective only in short range''.

I also think cannons would be cool in sieges and such.

Just my take on it.

ikr! like i would be 100% ok if the only 3 firearm types they added blunderbuss shotguns, flintlock pistols, and flintlock rifles or matchlock rifles. and hell they dont just have to be slow firing but the rifles and pistols at least could have actually poor accuracy cause it wasnt until like a good bit recently that rifling become common and standard place as well as bullets with a more aerodynamic shape than a sphere so it could be like insanely high damage compared to similar weapons but like the blunder buss takes A LOOOONNNGGGG time to reload so its best to switch to a secondary unless you have already carved out the time to reload and flintlock pistols being good finishers on people who maybe are trying to run from say a sword fighter who got the jump on them but messed up slightly and than since they made it c lear that with ranged weapons they want them to ACTUALLY BE USED LIKE RANGED WEAPONS instead of games like ESO where you can only use your snipe ability for very close and often times are literally just using the bows fuckin point blank it could mean that rifles take maybe less time to reload than the blunderbuss but because of the lack of rifling they could be a good bit inaccurate meaning that while you can possibley 1 shot snipe players from a good way out you still have to deal with at least horrid accuracy meaning its slight to moderate rng on actually hitting someone making them better as either volley weapons like they were used irl or better as boss killers as bosses size typically is very very large meaning that they are far easier to hit.
    Noaani wrote: »
    just accept you are purely acting on emotion
    You realize that this is all you are doing, right?

You want guns, simply because you want them.

We don't, simply because we don't.

If you are going to dismiss emotional reasons as being non-valid, you must dismiss your own emotional reasons as being non-valid as well.

also i wont deny part of my opinion is emotional as i like guns but i will say that there is another big part of me that just wants to make the game have a more diverse selection of weapons and be more immersive and realistic and hell if they make town guards able to take down players who try to fight in cities or in general have town guards than it would make sense why the cities can last in a world like AoC and dont get steamrolled by the first monster of moderate size that strolls past.
  • let my dwarf fart on a candle you gon see
    Marcet wrote: »
    let my dwarf fart on a candle you gon see

That’s just how dwarves cast Fireball spells.

Hhak63P.png
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member, Alpha Two
    I wouldn't mind large ones with limited roles in ... ship-to-ship combat

Now that you mentioned it, I wouldn't mind some if ships were able to be equipped with some sort of a cannon that could shoot long distance projectiles regardless if it were potions, magic balls or cannonballs to damage other ships.

Sea of Thieves also came to mind, and even though the lack of progression (as well as many other things) made that game boring for me, I believe it had potential. It would be interesting if Ashes was able to get some inspiration from some cool naval content designs SoT had such as ship boarding mechanics, sea bosses (AFAIK Steven confirmed Ashes will have these), random events and maybe gatherable resources (raw materials) besides fish.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
    Atama wrote: »
    Marcet wrote: »
    let my dwarf fart on a candle you gon see

That’s just how dwarves cast Fireball spells.

ok quick off topic for a sec..... XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXD
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind large ones with limited roles in ... ship-to-ship combat

Now that you mentioned it, I wouldn't mind some if ships were able to be equipped with some sort of a cannon that could shoot long distance projectiles regardless if it were potions, magic balls or cannonballs to damage other ships.

Sea of Thieves also came to mind, and even though the lack of progression (as well as many other things) made that game boring for me, I believe it had potential. It would be interesting if Ashes was able to get some inspiration from some cool naval content designs SoT had such as ship boarding mechanics, sea bosses (AFAIK Steven confirmed Ashes will have these), random events and maybe gatherable resources (raw materials) besides fish.

ohhhhh really? i mean honestly i like sea of thieve but i will say its a game that you play in bursts and purely cause you wanna see that 100,000 gold go up to 1,000,000 gold and because you REALLY love the gameplay pvp loop. personally i already love what i have read and heard about how ashes pvp will work as i love the idea of resources being hard to gather than risky to gather as players can kill you perhaps to take a large portion of the resources and perhaps money you have on you making it so there is not only incentive to pvp players to pk making it less of a dick move and more of a necessary move for some people who only have enough time to get on and yoink some guys loot and more than that it gives pvp players also the option to instead make deals with crafters (perhaps cause crafters are the only ones who can gather resources as a fun way to make being a crafter feel more specialized and needed than it already is) for either a cut of the resources gathered or money or maybe them using some of what they got to make you new weapons as from what i understand there isnt really gonna be buying weapons as you either earn them through boss kills or craft them and so that gives even more fun for pvp :D