Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Explain to me how this game isn’t ruined by cosmetic MTX.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited January 2022
    Pyronus wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    I am unsure why you think there should be any detail at all on Intrepids operating expenses.

Because for a game and studio that listens to the community very closely, and is also very transparent about it's choices and direction, it seems odd that there is a lack of info and transparency about the cash shop , which the community didnt ask for in the first place and uses practices that raise questionmarks.

when something is so simple to understand there is no need to ask questions, and believe me over the years there have been hundreds of questions .

There are videos about it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcPt_g8iMWc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bdwPUu44zA&t=388s

the community does not ask questions about it , are you sure about that ?
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    PyronusPyronus Member
    edited January 2022
    Transparency is about "why". Saying it's been there since the start is not an answer to "why" it's there, but to "how long" it's been there. And I'm talking about the MMO community as a whole, who I dont think ever asked for cash shops in any pre-release MMO ever.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought this up in the first place and just wait it out and play when its ready, as Steven suggested for people who are skeptical. I'll rest my case, as I dont think its a good thing either to have this thread bumped up all the time. Im happy to discuss further in private messages though!

One more thing I want to get off my chest: I dont think at all this game will be a scam, it looks amazing and I love how forthcoming the studio is. I have my skepticisms but in general I am very excited for this. The only thing I have doubts about is the existence of a cash shop pre-release in the first place, secondly the way it's set up, and finally the lack of transparency on its existence, considering how transparent the studio has been about basically everything else.
  • Options
    MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited January 2022
    Transparency is about "why". Saying it's been there since the start is not an answer to "why" it's there, but to "how long" it's been there. And I'm talking about the MMO community as a whole, who I dont think ever asked for cash shops in any pre-release MMO ever.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought this up in the first place and just wait it out and play when its ready, as Steven suggested for people who are skeptical. I'll rest my case, as I dont think its a good thing either to have this thread bumped up all the time. Im happy to discuss further in private messages though!

One more thing I want to get off my chest: I dont think at all this game will be a scam, it looks amazing and I love how forthcoming the studio is. I have my skepticisms but in general I am very excited for this. The only thing I have doubts about is the existence of a cash shop pre-release in the first place, secondly the way it's set up, and finally the lack of transparency on its existence, considering how transparent the studio has been about basically everything else.

I understand the skepticism, it is logical when in this genre we have been beaten so much, although I particularly believe in the AoC project, I can also understand your point of view.

Thanks for the doubts and skepticism, it is always good to have the points of view of each side to improve.

I would particularly expect how the result of the movements is and how Intrepid is going to propose it, because honestly we are only talking about "possibilities".
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    PyronusPyronus Member
    edited January 2022
    Thank you @MybroViajero for linking those videos. Thats exactly the kind of insights I was looking for but havent found myself. Also I wasn't assuming there were no questions being asked about this, my bad if I came across that way.

The 2nd video basically sums up all my worries about the way the current cash shop is set up. It makes someone who isnt invested yet, nor a costumer, skeptical.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Transparency is about "why". Saying it's been there since the start is not an answer to "why" it's there, but to "how long" it's been there.

It’s an answer to this, though:
    Because for a game and studio that listens to the community very closely, and is also very transparent about it's choices and direction, it seems odd that there is a lack of info and transparency about the cash shop , which the community didnt ask for in the first place and uses practices that raise questionmarks.

The community knew about it from the beginning. If people had a problem with it, then they wouldn’t have supported the game so heavily. It’s the same answer given to people who gripe about open world PvP; it has always been a part of the game and was advertised as such from the start.

It’s like ordering French onion soup and then grumbling about how you never asked for onions. Then why’d you order that soup?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2022
    Transparency is about "why".
    Intrepid have addressed this.

Because a $15 a month subscription is not enough to run an MMO by itself.

They have the option to either add a box cost, which increases the barrier to entry for the game, or increase the subscription, which also increases the barrier to entry.

So, they opted for a cosmetic only cash shop.
  • Options
    I dug up a quote from Steven himself:

”Because we are a non-box purchase game, meaning there is no box price to play Ashes of Creation, it is only a subscription; and that's beneficial because it reduces the barrier of entry and we want a high population obviously; but at the same time one of the ways we augment the revenue flows to sustain constant updates and new chapter releases and additional content within the game is through a cosmetic-only marketplace; and that means absolutely no pay-to-win whatsoever; and that will be adhered to forever.”

So yes, one purpose of the optional cosmetic shop is to make it so you aren’t forced to pay a “box cost” or pay for expansions. Folks who choose to pay for cosmetics will fund that. If you don’t want to spend money on cosmetics and instead use what you earn in game, awesome, go for it. Other players will bear that cost.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Guys, I appreciate these posts but I have zero probs with a cash shop post release. This is not about the cosmetics themselves either. It's about a worry that Intrepid is not telling us something about the funding of the project. I feel like I'm repeating myself but I think I've also been pretty clear. So I just want to rest the subject if you don't mind.
  • Options
    Guys, I appreciate these posts but I have zero probs with a cash shop post release. This is not about the cosmetics themselves either. It's about a worry that Intrepid is not telling us something about the funding of the project. I feel like I'm repeating myself but I think I've also been pretty clear. So I just want to rest the subject if you don't mind.

Sure, they’re not going to lay out how every dollar is spent (nor should they), but there’s a lot of information on how the money is spent in a general way and why their financial model is set up the way it is. We’re just providing you the info that’s out there. If that doesn’t satisfy your concerns there’s nothing else the community can do for you.

The next best thing you can do if you continue to have concerns is keep an eye on the forums for announcements about the next live stream and see if you can get your question in that way. A lot of the info we have comes from answers in those presentations. Make sure you’re specific in your question to try to get the best answer. There’s no guarantee your question will get included, since they have a finite amount of time for them and specific topics they need to cover, but it’s worth a try.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    It's about a worry that Intrepid is not telling us something about the funding of the project.
    Steven has said that the game is fully funded to launch (out of his pocket), and that he really doesn't mind if people don't buy cosmetics.

He has said the cosmetics and packs going up for sale are to show support for the game, primarily.

If you are not happy with that, do as Steven suggested and just don't purchase anything. They really don't mind.