Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Explain to me how this game isn’t ruined by cosmetic MTX.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2021
    Atama wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    There will still be looks that are only able to be obtained in game - and those specific looks will be the ones with flexibility to make it exactly how you want it. Cash shop cosmetics are all or nothing.
    Costumes are, but you can buy clothing pieces in the shop too. I own a couple pairs of boots, a couple cloaks, a hat, a belt, a couple pairs of gloves.

Perhaps I should have clarified a bit better, rather than just saying cash "shop cosmetics", perhaps I should have said "full body cash shop cosmetics".

The bulk of the complaints are about full costumes, whether people making those complaints realize this or not.

As far as I am aware, you can not decorate a character fully using cash shop items without using a full body cosmetic. If you opt to use individual items on the store, you are still required to then use some items found in game.

However, what I was referring to was the attachment system - a system that as far as I can see will only be made available to actual individual items.

It is a system that many people have completely overlooked. I would wager most of the people complaining about cosmetics don't even know about it..
    Gankez wrote: »
    im not sure where you got that info but youre wrong..
    No I'm not, you just don't have the base level information to know what I am talking about.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Noaani

You are 100% correct. I wish more people understood this. I keep trying to explain that the value of cash shop cosmetics is already lower than in game items because they can't be mixed per part or dyed. It really is all or nothing.

If you are someone who is into Transmog or Glam then this sort of thing is useless to you. The only exceptions I have seen are a few cosmetics that say they are a specific slot. There were some helms I have seen, and I think a belt that comes to mind.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Perhaps I should have clarified a bit better, rather than just saying cash "shop cosmetics", perhaps I should have said "full body cash shop cosmetics".

The bulk of the complaints are about full costumes, whether people making those complaints realize this or not.

As far as I am aware, you can not decorate a character fully using cash shop items without using a full body cosmetic. If you opt to use individual items on the store, you are still required to then use some items found in game.

You are correct. All of the cosmetics that are gear pieces (not full body) have to be applied to stuff you earn in game. Similar to mount skins; you need to get a mount first before you can use one.

The full body costumes are absolutely all-or-nothing.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

You are correct. All of the cosmetics that are gear pieces (not full body) have to be applied to stuff you earn in game. Similar to mount skins; you need to get a mount first before you can use one.

Are there any leg or chest slot cosmetic items that you are aware of?
  • Options
    There will still be looks that are only able to be obtained in game - and those specific looks will be the ones with flexibility to make it exactly how you want it. Cash shop cosmetics are all or nothing.
    Costumes are, but you can buy clothing pieces in the shop too. I own a couple pairs of boots, a couple cloaks, a hat, a belt, a couple pairs of gloves.

However, what I was referring to was the attachment system - a system that as far as I can see will only be made available to actual individual items.

It is a system that many people have completely overlooked. I would wager most of the people complaining about cosmetics don't even know about it..
    Gankez wrote: »
    im not sure where you got that info but youre wrong..
    No I'm not, you just don't have the base level information to know what I am talking about.

I know full and well that tbe armor cosmetics are costum, I continue to say cosmetics because I'm also referring to the mounts, pets, Accessory, boat skins, and more.

What I'm trying to say is that the cash shop will have items that look cool and interesting to make people buy them. It doesn't matter of you can combine and customize individual gear pieces, costumes that are made to look better
  • Options
    If everyone looks cool and interesting, no one looks cool and interesting.
  • Options
    rikardp98 wrote: »

I hope you know how stupid this sounds.

If everyone looks cool and interesting, everyone looks cool and interesting.

If you can only judge your own worth (in this case, how cool and/or interesting your character looks) based on how it compares to those around you, then this is straight up a you problem.
  • Options

If you can only judge your own worth (in this case, how cool and/or interesting your character looks) based on how it compares to those around you, then this is straight up a you problem.

Most end-game "worth" is based on how you are compared to others. PvP, high end PvE, economics, professions. Yes it's not everything but it's a big part of end game in most games. And for some people fashion is a part of the end games when it comes to fantasy games like ashes (and do not say that ashes isn't about fashion, because why are they selling cosmetics items then?).
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Most end-game "worth" is based on how you are compared to others. PvP, high end PvE, economics, professions.
    With the obvious exception of PvP, this is objectively untrue.

In top end PvP (where most of my almost 20 years playing MMO's has been), people that compare themselves to others are of little value. Guilds that compare themselves to others are never worth being in. Even measuring DPS is only of any value if you are only measuring it against yourself - doing more today than you did yesterday. Measuring your raids DPS to do more today than you did yesterday.

The only comparison in PvE that is worth making is the guild vs the target.

Professions are a similar thing. I don't care what you can do, what you can make. I care what I can make, and perhaps more importantly, what I can not yet make and what I need to do to be able to make it.

Economics are the same. Not only do I not care how much coin you are making, but I don't even have an objective means to tell.

What difference does it make to me what you are able to make, or how much money you are making? All I need to know is if I am happy with what I am doing or not.

There are serious issues in anyone that compares them self to others to determine their worth. This is the kind of thinking that causes problems.

Make your character look what you consider to be good, and don't worry yourself with how others look - the very notion of doing anything other than this baffles me.
  • Options
    rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited December 2021
    Let's say that you can buy an item on the cash shop that will make it so you do a fixed amount of dps. Some people may not buy the item and do less dps, and some might do a little bit more with an advanced and difficult rotation that takes a lot of time to perfect. Now that will do that the majority of people will not take a second look at each others rotation or gear, they won't care about others or their own improvement since they do the same amount of dps as everyone else. This will devalue spending time and effort of learning the advanced and difficult rotation to make a small improvement, or none, in dps.

If everyone does high dps then no one will do high DPS since high is based on the average amount of dps an average player does, which in this case will be equal (or close to) because of the item.

It's a weird comparison but the same principle can be applied to looks in games.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Let's say that you can buy an item on the cash shop that will make it so you do a fixed amount of dps.
    Because this is a thing I care about, I stop playing the game.

Problem solved.
  • Options

The people who look cool and interesting will have legendary cosmetics, which is a class of cosmetic you can only earn in-game.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Let's say that you can buy an item on the cash shop that will make it so you do a fixed amount of dps.

Problem solved.

If you liked the game and thought it was interesting and seems fun, would you argue about this item to make it go away? I mean the game isn't released yet so it may be an option?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

I don’t own any and I don’t remember seeing them, but it has been years so I might have missed something or forgotten. :smile:

I also haven’t seen any weapon skins in the store, but I believe it was possible to earn something during APOC? (I don’t remember and I hated that test so much I didn’t try to earn any of the cosmetics so I wasn’t paying attention.)

It’s also probably worth reminding people that even the full body costumes don’t have weapon skins. Even when the concept art shows a weapon, it doesn’t actually come with it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Problem solved.

If you liked the game and thought it was interesting and seems fun, would you argue about this item to make it go away? I mean the game isn't released yet so it may be an option?

I quit the best MMO I have ever played because they added a cash shop with pay to win aspects to it.

If you don't stand up for what you believe in, what is left of you as a person?
  • Options

I don’t own any and I don’t remember seeing them, but it has been years so I might have missed something or forgotten. :smile:

I also haven’t seen any weapon skins in the store, but I believe it was possible to earn something during APOC? (I don’t remember and I hated that test so much I didn’t try to earn any of the cosmetics so I wasn’t paying attention.)

It’s also probably worth reminding people that even the full body costumes don’t have weapon skins. Even when the concept art shows a weapon, it doesn’t actually come with it.

Cool, so, even if you are using all cash shop items other than full costumes, at this stage you still need to take items from in game.

Players that do actually care about their appearance are likely not going to be caught dead in a full costume. These are the easy way out for people like me that really just don't care - find something acceptable, put it on and forget about appearance for a few years.

People that do care are likely to go for individual items. Some of these may well be from the store, but many will be obtained in game. Add to this the customization from dye and attachments (which what little we know of seem to all be in game only), and for those people that do care, there is a whole world of customization.
  • Options
    Cool, so, even if you are using all cash shop items other than full costumes, at this stage you still need to take items from in game.

Players that do actually care about their appearance are likely not going to be caught dead in a full costume. These are the easy way out for people like me that really just don't care - find something acceptable, put it on and forget about appearance for a few years.

People that do care are likely to go for individual items. Some of these may well be from the store, but many will be obtained in game. Add to this the customization from dye and attachments (which what little we know of seem to all be in game only), and for those people that do care, there is a whole world of customization.
    Absolutely. Looking at what I have so far, I think I have a cloak, boots, belt, and gloves that have cool effects and should mix well together. My shirt/pants will have to be something in-game but I’ll figure that out.

I own a ton of full costumes (including a bunch of the Kickstarter costumes, I have a lot of them too) but none of them will be something I’d wear all the time. I like the idea of putting my own outfit together for a theme that should be somewhat unique, especially since I’ll have items that won’t be available again.

And yes, I’m curious to get into dyes. I know only certain parts of cosmetics will be “tagged” to accept dyes so you can’t count on fully changing all the colors.

But yes, I’ll be pursuing a particular look. And no, I don’t think it’ll be possible to do it purely via the cash shop, at least not from what we’ve had so far. It’s going to require finding and earning stuff through play, and that’s also fun.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Problem solved.

I quit the best MMO I have ever played because they added a cash shop with pay to win aspects to it.

If you don't stand up for what you believe in, what is left of you as a person?

That very true, you should stand up for what you believe in! Yes!

But we are talking about a game that is not released yet and won't be for another 2 years or so. Meaning that their payment model (sorry can't remember what's called) can change. Yes, the monthly or so cosmetic release won't change but that doesn't mean that they need it once the game is fully released, if they change to a box fee + sub fee.
    To be frank, i had totally missed that ashes was going to be a sub fee only game (with a cash shop). I just assumed that I would need to buy it (like most games) and then pay the sub fee.
  • Options
    But we are talking about a game that is not released yet and won't be for another 2 years or so. Meaning that their payment model (sorry can't remember what's called) can change.
    No it can't.

The payment model is one of the core aspects that this game is built on.

If Intrepid change that now, it will generate so much bad will within the community that it will straight up cause the game to fail

Even people that want the model to change should not be wanting Intrepid to go back on one of the core aspects of what they have sold us the game based on.

I mean, I would really like (or at least, would have in the past) to get a lifetime subscription. However, Intrepid said that it is a kickstarter only reward. As such, even though I want/wanted one, I would not want Intrepid to offer me one, as them sticking to their word is far more important.

It is very similar to the above. You should stand up for what you believe in. Part of that is that when you say a thing, you stick to it.

Intrepid have said there will be no box cost, a subscription and a cosmetic only cash shop. Anyone that wants the game to succeed should be demanding Intrepid stick to that because it is what Intrepid have said, even if that is not what they personally want.

I mean, if Intrepid go back on this now, why should we trust them with anything they have said? Without trust, what do Intrepid have right now?
  • Options
    But we are talking about a game that is not released yet and won't be for another 2 years or so. Meaning that their payment model (sorry can't remember what's called) can change.

Intrepid have said there will be no box cost, a subscription and a cosmetic only cash shop. Anyone that wants the game to succeed should be demanding Intrepid stick to that because it is what Intrepid have said, even if that is not what they personally want.

I mean, if Intrepid go back on this now, why should we trust them with anything they have said? Without trust, what do Intrepid have right now?

This is something that I have totally missed. I didn't know that they have said that there will be no box cost. And if that is something they have said (which I totally believe you in) then they shouldn't change that!

It's my fault that I was under the assumption (I don't know how I got it) that the payment model was box cost + sub fee.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @rikardp98

You don't have to take Noaani's word for it.
    Because we are a non-box purchase game, meaning there is no box price to play Ashes of Creation, it is only a subscription; and that's beneficial because it reduces the barrier of entry and we want a high population obviously; but at the same time one of the ways we augment the revenue flows to sustain constant updates and new chapter releases and additional content within the game is through a cosmetic-only marketplace; and that means absolutely no pay-to-win whatsoever; and that will be adhered to forever.[15] – Steven Sharif

Also check out this page on the Wiki where I found that quote:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Payment_model

It's always a personal decision on if cosmetic MTX ruins the game for you. The rules Intrepid has made for themselves with their cash shop seem fair enough to me, so long as they stick to them.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    @rikardp98

Because we are a non-box purchase game, meaning there is no box price to play Ashes of Creation, it is only a subscription; and that's beneficial because it reduces the barrier of entry and we want a high population obviously; but at the same time one of the ways we augment the revenue flows to sustain constant updates and new chapter releases and additional content within the game is through a cosmetic-only marketplace; and that means absolutely no pay-to-win whatsoever; and that will be adhered to forever.[15] – Steven Sharif

Also check out this page on the Wiki where I found that quote:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Payment_model

It's always a personal decision on if cosmetic MTX ruins the game for you. The rules Intrepid has made for themselves with their cash shop seem fair enough to me, so long as they stick to them.

Thanks for the links! Will read up on it a little bit more so I get a better understanding.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I actually strongly advise against doing this.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is such a subjective topic, we could ask 100 people at what level MTX ruins a game, and get 100 different answers.

Some people will say "any MTX ruins a game", while others will say "MTX doesn't ruin a game", then there's the entire spectrum in the middle, ranging from "cosmetic only doesn't ruin the game" to "even cosmetics only ruins the game".

What you need to answer this is to just break this question down even further, and personalize it.

"Does this MTX ruin the game for me?"

And only you can answer that for yourself.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »
    This is such a subjective topic, we could ask 100 people at what level MTX ruins a game, and get 100 different answers.

Some people will say "any MTX ruins a game", while others will say "MTX doesn't ruin a game", then there's the entire spectrum in the middle, ranging from "cosmetic only doesn't ruin the game" to "even cosmetics only ruins the game".

What you need to answer this is to just break this question down even further, and personalize it.

"Does this MTX ruin the game for me?"

And only you can answer that for yourself.

tenor.gif?itemid=4971614
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    TrUSivrajTrUSivraj Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Conrad wrote: »
    Well, tbh, Steven claiming the ingame earnable cosmetics / gear appearance will rival the shop cosmetics sounds pretty far fetched tbh. There's a few things I can believe but that aspect sounds like it got sucked out of a thumb

It's not at all far-fetched, but it's also (potentially) meaningless. As I've pointed out in any of these discussions I've participated in, it's impossible to qualify the value of a cosmetic appearance.

For example, I think this is hideous:

450px-Mail_of_the_Fathom%27s_Fury.png

And I think this is awesome (and I bought it):

450px-Sentinel_Greatcoat.png

Someone else might think the opposite; that the first item is fabulous and the second one is plain. So how can you say that one "rivals" the other?

The only way that I can see that Steven's promise is objectively fulfilled, is if cosmetics earned in-game are extremely similar to what you get in the shop. For example, imagine that you can earn that first set, except it has more of an autumn (orange, red, brown) color scheme. Clearly it is not the same, but it could be considered equivalent.

Stacking on this statement, they could very well easily give earnable cosmetics (and they surely will) more animations and effects than that of the cash shop items. That ocean cape looks to clearly have some water and wave effects on it, but if they were to make something similar in game, they could then add fish swimming inside the cape periodically, or even add more sound effects from movement that the cash shop version didn't have.

There is honestly so much they are capable of doing to separate *high-end* earnable sets from cash shop sets if people had a greater imagination. Higher quality animation/effects are the biggest thing that come to mind, but again I dislike both those costumes, yet I love the Vine vestment, which some people I know think is the ugliest piece of trash, but they also don't RP characters of nature like I often do.

I also rarely see great naturistic armor like this in games that feels natural for a "Native Americanesque" ranger to wear. (wow's naturistic gear was always huge and bulky, and hunters couldn't wear it anyways lol)

d8af48303b2b5d59642e626f65c2490a05764d55.png
    Future Falconer, Top 1% PvPer and owner of Big and Beautiful Homesteads
    lnx3t1v8o8r9.png
  • Options
    TrUSivraj wrote: »

There is honestly so much they are capable of doing to separate *high-end* earnable sets from cash shop sets if people had a greater imagination.

Indeed there is.

The thing to keep in mind though, is that it is a balancing act for Intrepid.

They want there to be looks that are able to be obtained on game that players will get excited about.

However, they also want to make money from the cash shop.

Every player in the game will have some situation where they do not like where Ashes has found the balance that works for them, but will likely also have times where they are happy with it.

Players need to expect this going in. It won't always go the way you want it to go, and that is OK.
  • Options
    As long as they keep it cosmetic only I really couldn't care less, honestly.
  • Options
    Are you telling me you wouldn't preorder now if you got a priest or nun outfit?

deluxe-nun-alt-1.JPG
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited December 2021
    Boanergese wrote: »
    Are you telling me you wouldn't preorder now if you got a priest or nun outfit?

This could lead to bad habits. 😂

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png