Balancing guilds with solo play

12346»

Comments

• "small teams of friends"

They create a guild. That is no longer solo play....
  • derp wrote: »
    I have seen a lot about the exciting guild incentives and mechanics planned for AOC which I am all for. My only concern is that this may require an environment whereby you HAVE to align yourself with a guild to be relevant in the game. Personally as a solo player I'm of the opinion that joining a guild should always be out of choice, not necessity. In which ways do you think solo play can be balanced so that solo players/small teams of friends can still choose this path?

One idea I propose is that solo players could carry out as questline to become a mercenary. Mercenaries would be neutral alignment but could be hired by guilds to assist in seiges and bosses etc. This way solo players are not gated away from content but likewise are still able to enjoy soloplay when they choose to.

Just as guilds can acquire reputation, so could mercenaries. At higher reputation levels your price as a mercanary would automatically increase. Reputation would be based on successful "missions"(hires) and feedback from guild seniors (e.g. a simple rating system).

Just as there will be a leaderboard for guilds, there could be s leaderboard for mercenaries. Perhaps this system would be tied to military nodes.

What are your thoughts?

Derp, friend, your idea is great, Ashes of Creation should be included in the game, the game itself cannot focus on guilds, there is a large percentage of players who play solo, including me. The comments that are in favor of a game only focused on guilds make no sense.
  • Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited October 2023
    Sauronplay wrote: »
    derp wrote: »
    I have seen a lot about the exciting guild incentives and mechanics planned for AOC which I am all for. My only concern is that this may require an environment whereby you HAVE to align yourself with a guild to be relevant in the game. Personally as a solo player I'm of the opinion that joining a guild should always be out of choice, not necessity. In which ways do you think solo play can be balanced so that solo players/small teams of friends can still choose this path?

One idea I propose is that solo players could carry out as questline to become a mercenary. Mercenaries would be neutral alignment but could be hired by guilds to assist in seiges and bosses etc. This way solo players are not gated away from content but likewise are still able to enjoy soloplay when they choose to.

Just as guilds can acquire reputation, so could mercenaries. At higher reputation levels your price as a mercanary would automatically increase. Reputation would be based on successful "missions"(hires) and feedback from guild seniors (e.g. a simple rating system).

Just as there will be a leaderboard for guilds, there could be s leaderboard for mercenaries. Perhaps this system would be tied to military nodes.

What are your thoughts?

Derp, friend, your idea is great, Ashes of Creation should be included in the game, the game itself cannot focus on guilds, there is a large percentage of players who play solo, including me. The comments that are in favor of a game only focused on guilds make no sense.

You are missing the plot of AoC, it isn't meant to be a solo mmorpg and the game is designed to be played in groups. It doesn't mean there is 0 solo content but if you are trying to actual progress and do the good content it will be around groups.

Last live stream literarily shows they auto throw you in a group/raid in event area content.

If you are so introverted you dislike in ever being in a group, what are you doing on a mmorpg.
  • Sauronplay wrote: »

What are your thoughts?

so you (and him) want the benefits of being in a guild, without the responsibilities of being in a guild?
    to participate in a siege or a node war a guild has to go out of their way and get the declaration scroll, then be the first to declare. that will probably be a guild effort and its unlikely that the same guild will be able to siege every single that there is a siege period, since you have to win accessing the siege. guild members could be doing something else but instead, they are helping with the declaration scroll. mercenaries will pretty much be able to siege every time there is a siege period, without all the hassle and responsibility of being in a guild. this is unfair and promotes solo play. sieges are large group activities. want to join a siege? join a guild.

also, why would i take a mercenary over one of my guildies, especially if i have more than the 250 required? thats only for small guilds..which will probably not take you anyways and rather ally with another guild. did you forget about guild passives? you would either have to join their guild anyways (or node), which you cant do once war has been declared, or they would have to ally your 1 member guild with no passives. great idea!
  • KilionKilion Member
    edited October 2023
    Sauronplay wrote: »

What are your thoughts?

I'm afraid, you are missing the point of the ones who design this game. Steven is on record since 2018 emphasizing that the game is primarily being balanced and designed with group (=social) gameplay in mind. Doesn't mean solo gameplay is entirely impossible but more often than not you will run into obstacles you alone will not be able to master, which could even mean that a good number of POIs are not managable for you alone.

From my perspective it makes no sense to demand that the developer provides a solo game loop in a game they publicly designed for group gameplay (because if it is possible alone, its piss easy as a group). I think from all we have read so far there will be a lot of barriers in the way of solo players who refuse to join a guild and/or Node.

Let's take a look at the content we've seen on the livestreams:
    • From the sound of it the bandit event was scripted for player activity in the area. It is questionable for it to be designed for a solo run with an automatic "join group" feature on accepting the event objective. At least in those cases you will have to accept group gameplay to start and successfully finish the world event.
    • If you are an average player regarding the hours per week you are willing to put into the game freeholds will and should be out of your reach. Not because you are "bad" or anything but if the average player could easily attain a freehold, it would be a piece of piss for a 300 member guild making it a participation trophy, not a prestigious attainment.
    • Node citizenship is a requirement for buying houses, apartments or freeholds. This association would run counter to the solo gameplay idea I imagine.
    • Derp said it in the OP himself - he wants to play a "neutral" character who can align himself with any faction at any point. The thing is: If there are no significant advantages to group association, he wouldn't have (m)any groups to join in the first place. Additionally everyone is entering the world of Verra as a neutral, unaligned person anyways. You can make and break alliances at basically any time.

And yes, there are a lot of people who came to prefer solo gameplay in lobby type games like WoW, but Ashes obviously is not having these people their target player base. And the game can be successful without them stripping away the advantages of group gameplay to cater to solos.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Someone is a little excited for Summoner/Cleric.
  • There will most likely be PUG guilds choosing less desirable nodes and being inefficient but will have a very open policy for people to join, most solos can float in and out for some small benefit until the player gets serious about guild play aspects and joins a better organized one.
  • AlhemAlhem Member
    edited October 2023
    Karthos wrote: »
    I've never understood what people with this mentality even see when they look at an MMO, what makes them want to play a game that basically all but REQUIRES you to get involved with other people, group up, be social, rely on other players, ect. There's other games that will cater to this style of game play much better, we don't need to water down games to accommodate these confused people.

Please enlighten me. I've always favored MMOs but please give me your ideas for what games I should rather play?

Edit* when did the OP say anything about not interacting with other players? He suggested a system that would encourage so.
  • Alhem wrote: »
    Karthos wrote: »
    I've never understood what people with this mentality even see when they look at an MMO, what makes them want to play a game that basically all but REQUIRES you to get involved with other people, group up, be social, rely on other players, ect. There's other games that will cater to this style of game play much better, we don't need to water down games to accommodate these confused people.

Please enlighten me. I've always favored MMOs but please give me your ideas for what games I should rather play?

Edit* when did the OP say anything about not interacting with other players? He suggested a system that would encourage so.

no. he suggested a system that avoids the responsibilities of being in a guild, while having the benefits. he could solo play all day long, without having to worry about leveling up a guild, helping get a declaration scroll, helping others with gears, and still be able to participate in wars every week, whereas a guild member who did all of the above wont be able to do so every time because someone could declare first.

not all guilds will be able to siege every time there is a siege, but the solo mercenaries will. so yes, it's a system that promotes not joining a guild if what you want is to siege.
  • ThamonRaThamonRa Member
    edited October 2023
    I think u guys got the guilds confused with Nodes.
    Don't think there is a gold standard and you must play in a guild.
    Or if you join a guild you are obligated to join them every time every minute.

U can probly sit in a tavern have a drink, chat up and find a group to do the dungeon with.

I am against solo play in MMO rpg's
    Go play a single player game or just be stuck in gathering resources in a low level area.
    (Just a opinion sorry to come on strong)
    I'm not saying u should always be in a group, you could be tending your items at home or be a good citizen in your node. Build a fishing boat go fishing, IDK.

Guild is not perse a zerg.
    And solo players should not be able to do dungeons or other content alone.
    And I don't think guilds are a must to enjoy the game.
    If you want to have massive PvP battles and be part of a organized (tactical) play (not zerg) then I guess u should be looking for a guild.
    It's not only PvP or only PvE.
    It's probly PvX,
    The nodes are not guild owned, they can hire a guild or 2 to represents and defend them Extra. U think those farmers can't fight just couse they wanna do PvE?

All I can say is try elder scrolls online,
    U can solo in that game.